PDA

View Full Version : 99 GMC Suburban Dual Air Conditioning?

Cole Sanger
06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
I have a small problem. My suburban has dual air. My front air has stopped working, but the rear is still blowing cold. I took it to the dealer and they said it is a hose that is leaking and the compressor is bad. I was thinking that if the rear air is working, that the compressor should still be good. They wanted a little over $1000 in parts. If I have to have the compressor replaced, I would like to do it myself. Anyone know where to get reasonable priced air conditioning parts on the internet for my suburban? It has the 454 if that helps with troubleshooting.

Kachina26
06-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Unless the compressor is leaking (very common), it is probably ok. The reason the front is warm and the rear is cold is due to the low refrigerant level. Some technicians (I use the term loosely), will mistakenly try to make a diagnosis on the system while it is still low on refrigerant. (This may also be the reason they recommended a compressor) Talk to the dealer and find out why they condemned the compressor. My guess is they will tell you it's leaking. Both the hose and the compressor were very common items as well as the high side service port. When I left the biz a few months ago, compressors ranged from 500ish to 650ish. I used to make the parts department cut the price as markup was near 100% . You can try an outfit called factory motor parts (http://www.factorymotorparts.com) for a better price, that is where the dealers obtain the stuff that they don't want to stock. It is genuine GM and carries a warranty. Hope this helps. BTW I was a GM tech for 15 years and this was my area, so I'm not just shooting from the hip here.
You can also get genuine ac delco parts at acdelco.com (http://www.acdelco.com)

Cole Sanger
06-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it. Not sure what I am going to do with it. I was selling the Suburban, then the plan was to trade in the wifes Saturn. I know I will take a loss, but now I am thinking about trading them both in at the same time just to get rid of a couple of headaches. Thanks again for the info.