PDA

View Full Version : Hitch rattle

RitcheyRch
06-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. Tried searching and didnt come up with anything. Does anyone know how to get the receiver part of the hitch to stop rattling within the hitch itself. I measured the hitch itself and it is 2.06" and the receiver is 2.03". Was thinking of using that plastic that you dip on tools and coat the receiver.
Anyother ideas?

Jordy
06-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Turn up the stereo or get a bigger stereo. Either one should do the trick. :D :D :D

BIGAMIST
06-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Turn up the stereo or get a bigger stereo. Either one should do the trick. :D :D :D
Sounds good :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
06-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Mine doesn't rattle because of the 1,500lbs of tongue weight...
...but you can wrap some electrical tape around the bar if it's moving around too much.

Beer-30
06-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Tool dip or elec tape will just wear right off.
I would get some thin teflon or delrin and make some shims. Epoxy them to either the insert or the receiver and it would last as long as you owned the truck.

RitcheyRch
06-16-2006, 08:13 PM
I had a feeling you would say something like that.

GMFL
06-16-2006, 08:14 PM
...but you can wrap some electrical tape around the bar if it's moving around too much.
F Dat... USE DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

wsuwrhr
06-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I would get some thin teflon or delrin and make some shims. Epoxy them to either the insert or the receiver and it would last as long as you owned the truck.
I second the Delrin. Will fix you right up.
Brian

RitcheyRch
06-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the tool dip wearing off. The delrin, nylon or teflon sounds like a good idea. Might have to head out to the shop at work and see if can find some.

franky
06-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Drill a hole through the bottom of the reciever at the back where it will hit the back edge of the hitch. Weld a 1/2" nut at the hole location then screw in a bolt with a backer nut to snug up the hitch/reciever. Works for real. Had the same problem. Any hitch shop or welding shop can do this for a few bucks. Bring them the #8 bolt and nuts.

Riomouse911
06-16-2006, 08:33 PM
I used the electrical tape. Lasted for years. And when it wore down, I added a new strip of tape. Cost was pennies, hassle was zero.

atxwrangler
06-16-2006, 08:33 PM
get somebody who welds,to weld two beads on each side of the reciever,then grind the welds flat,taking just a little off at a time,until, you have the desired fit.i did this to mine and it fits perfectly snug.no more rattle!!!

sleekcraft137
06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
slide a zip tie in there, or increase your tounge weight

RitcheyRch
06-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Have heard of this before. Will look into it. Dont have anyone with a welder so might get stuck taking it to a trailer shop if go this route.
Drill a hole through the bottom of the reciever at the back where it will hit the back edge of the hitch. Weld a 1/2" nut at the hole location then screw in a bolt with a backer nut to snug up the hitch/reciever. Works for real. Had the same problem. Any hitch shop or welding shop can do this for a few bucks. Bring them the #8 bolt and nuts.

rerfert
06-16-2006, 08:48 PM
I welded and ground mine for a tight slip fit...But the zip tie sounds like it would work and a hell of a lot easier...I will try that next time.
I hardly ever take out the receiver out anyhow.

FLEA DIDDY
06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Drill a hole through the bottom of the reciever at the back where it will hit the back edge of the hitch. Weld a 1/2" nut at the hole location then screw in a bolt with a backer nut to snug up the hitch/reciever. Works for real. Had the same problem. Any hitch shop or welding shop can do this for a few bucks. Bring them the #8 bolt and nuts.Bingo!!! I did the same thing and bam! No more rattle, worked like a charm.

H20 Toie
06-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi rich take it over to accurate and have him weld on a bolt and never worry about it again

No Name
06-16-2006, 10:36 PM
http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

Tom Brown
06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Mine doesn't rattle because of the 1,500lbs of tongue weight...
Yeah, I can't imagine a hitch rattling with a boat connected.
Up here, it's illegal to leave your draw bar in the receiver when not in use. Mostly, the police won't bother you for it but there are some areas where they will.
By the way, Baller Boy, mine doesn't rattle because of the 60 lbs of tongue weight.

No Name
06-16-2006, 10:50 PM
By the way, Baller Boy, mine doesn't rattle because of the 60 lbs of tongue weight.
LMAO. :D :D

buzzaro
06-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. Tried searching and didnt come up with anything. Does anyone know how to get the receiver part of the hitch to stop rattling within the hitch itself. I measured the hitch itself and it is 2.06" and the receiver is 2.03". Was thinking of using that plastic that you dip on tools and coat the receiver.
Anyother ideas?
If its already that tight a fit, you might just be able to throw another coat of paint on it. The plastic dip might make it tought to get the stinger in/out of the receiver. G/L

Havasu Hangin'
06-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Because I'm not a Glastron baller...I went with the electrical tape.
:notam:

v-drive
06-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Hell, I like the delrin idea. We use it constantly at work for different applications. v-drive.

RitcheyRch
06-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Dan,
Most likely going to be doing that since is the only place in the area.
Hi rich take it over to accurate and have him weld on a bolt and never worry about it again

RitcheyRch
06-17-2006, 05:23 AM
I tried adding another coat of paint but it wears off from the moving within the hitch.
If its already that tight a fit, you might just be able to throw another coat of paint on it. The plastic dip might make it tought to get the stinger in/out of the receiver. G/L