PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on 21-23ft 2000 or newer boat

oboy
06-17-2006, 08:21 AM
I would like to move up to a bigger boat and I would like to have some suggestions. I am somewhat new to the forum, since I don't often post.
I currently have a 95 baja islander 180 with the 5.0 liter motor. I would like to get a used open bow boat 21-24 footer hopefully newer than 2000. Budget is 30k but it could be pushed to 36 after I sell the baja.
I like to cruise, float, wakeboard water ski and tube on my boat. I often boat at flaming gorge in utah, bear lake and lake meed when I get a chance, these lakes can get pretty rough a times, so I would like a boat that can handle rough water.
The Open bow Boats I have been looking at are Baja 232, Lavey, ultra and misc others.
Suggestions wanted.
Please PM me if you have a boat for sale that you think would meet my needs.
Don't post it to this thread I don't want it moved into the spam zone.

Mandelon
06-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, everyone will tell you their boat is best......there are a lot of 21 - 23 foot boats for sale....prices will come down as the summer progresses.
I am happy with my Lavey 21. Its big for its size, and we keep up with the bigger boats pretty well too.....

77charger
06-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Well, everyone will tell you their boat is best......there are a lot of 21 - 23 foot boats for sale....prices will come down as the summer progresses.
I am happy with my Lavey 21. Its big for its size, and we keep up with the bigger boats pretty well too.....
I have an eliminator 21 open bow and it does a good job for me and my uses but cant make it to catalina like mandelons boat can.I was pretty impessed with his boat

little rowe boat
06-18-2006, 12:13 PM
If you are going to be on big lakes, you should get a boat with alot of freeboard and a deep V.

CBadDad
06-18-2006, 05:59 PM
If you are going to be on big lakes, you should get a boat with alot of freeboard and a deep V.
Good advice. I don't think there is one perfect boat for all occaisions. Get the best boat you can find (low hours/well maintained) that is within your budget. Many boats will do what you want, but none will do it all...Good luck.

oboy
06-18-2006, 08:42 PM
What boats would you suggest in the 21-23 foot range with lots of freeboard and a deep V.?
The deep V and lots of freeboard are some of the reasons I like the Baja 232.
Does the Lavey have a faily deep V and lots of Freeboard?
Some boat manufacturers don't post freeboard on thier websites so it's hard to get a good idea.

rodnjen
06-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Essex has a 21, 22 & 23 that will do everything you need.

RiverDave
06-19-2006, 09:08 AM
What boats would you suggest in the 21-23 foot range with lots of freeboard and a deep V.?
Some boat manufacturers don't post freeboard on thier websites so it's hard to get a good idea.
I have a 22.6 Nordic for sale right now. Not to spam your thread, but it sounds like it might be a good fit for you. It has tons of freeboard, but sleek lines. Most boats that have alot of freeboard that are under 25' look kinda "stubby" to me for some reason. Here's a link to the add. Again if your interested.
22.6 Nordic for Sale (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/7/84270317.htm)
RD

CBLavey
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Get the Lavey...
Yes, I'm biased because I own a 21XTSki but I bought it after looking at all of the 21's available - It is the largest 21 available that is actually sold as a 21 though it measures 22'8" at the swimstep :) . It's a deep boat with lots of freeboard, a very sharp entry and tons of storage.

little rowe boat
06-19-2006, 12:58 PM
I spend alot of time in Havasu, and the water can get pretty rough.My boat is a 22" Howard. Lots of freeboard and 22.5 degree V. It is a great rough water/ all around boat.

oboy
06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
RiverDave - that's a great looking Nordic, but the Price per year and hours is a little high for me.
I am a cheap sucker looking for a good deal.
Little Row Boat - the Howard looks like one sweet boat, but they are a little spendy for me.
I would like to get a 2000 or newer. I know it's asking a lot, but I am willing to spend some time looking for a good deal.
Thanks for the good adive keep it coming. I love to have opinions.

Run_em_Hard
06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Oboy, I take it you live in Utah. Where abouts? I boat at Bear Lake and the Gorge(sp?). I also boat at PineView. I own a Advantage 22'(not for sale) but you could check it out. Its a closed bow but you could get an idea of the room. It has two bench seats under the bow and fold into a bed. I am over 6' tall and can sit up straight under the bow.

hallett21
06-20-2006, 03:54 PM
i agree, also if your gonna be on a bigger lake going for the bigger boat is good if u can afford it. I currently ride in a hallett vector, great boat but on a busy weekend you wanna bigger boat. Alsp make sure that you dont under power your boat. if anything make sure you have a little extra power than not enough

TCHB
06-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Howard 22 Offshore
It is one the deepest Vs around for the size and has the freeboard of a 24ft boat. It has a exterior swim step so it is real 22 ft boat.

oboy
06-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Run_en_hard - I live in Ogden and I do a lot of floating at pineview when I get the chance, since its alm. I haven't been out much this year, due to a remodel project, but hopefully that will change.
I found a great deal on a 2004 Baja islander 232 with the 496 mag, it has lots of freeboard and a deep V 23 degree.
Any input bad or good would be nice.

Run_em_Hard
06-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Oboy, you should PM me, I will give you my number and we will have to get together. I have been going to pineview these past couple weekends and I am 95% sure that I will be heading up this weekend.

NOTALENT
06-29-2006, 06:16 AM
The Dana 23' is kick ass...fully loaded, awesome quality, and sick gel coats. PM Atomikittn.
http://www.danaboats.com/23-ob-specs.htm

Run_em_Hard
06-29-2006, 06:38 AM
The Dana 23' is kick ass...fully loaded, awesome quality, and sick gel coats. PM Atomikittn.
http://www.danaboats.com/23-ob-specs.htm
They had one of these at the LA boat show with a classic paint job...absolutly beautiful. I wanted to take it home with me. Not even close to the freeboard of my 22' though.

oboy
07-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Well I finally found a boat. Just purchased a 2000 Glastron/carlson CSX21 with less than 80 hours. I can't wait to pick it up next weekend at Lake Havasua. It has lots of freeboard, a 24 degree deadrise, Drop down bolster seats and off shore controls.
The only minor issue is that it has the 5.7 GSI motor, so I need some advice on getting more horse power out of the motor and I would like to have captains call exhaust installed. Does anyone know what that would cost me?

KineticoH20
07-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Well I finally found a boat. Just purchased a 2000 Glastron/carlson CSX21 with less than 80 hours. I can't wait to pick it up next weekend at Lake Havasua. It has lots of freeboard, a 24 degree deadrise, Drop down bolster seats and off shore controls.
The only minor issue is that it has the 5.7 GSI motor, so I need some advice on getting more horse power out of the motor and I would like to have captains call exhaust installed. Does anyone know what that would cost me?
:jawdrop:

cc322
07-01-2006, 10:28 AM
The 21 Lavey is alot of boat for a 21. I have been in my Brother in laws several times and it is a solid 21 boat 22.8 to be exact. Some friends of ours have the 22 Howard offshore another great boat in that size range very deep entry and great quality. There are a couple more that come to mind Shockwave 21 the deeper one I think it's a 21 degree bottom and the Essex vortex or the 21 sterling all have deep v's go to each manufaactures site and start researching it, good luck.

Phat Al
07-09-2006, 06:18 AM
These are all nice boat, I have a 21'er. Havent had it in any big lakes yet, I let you know...

SevenD
07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Run em Hard, what engine are you running in your 22 Citation. I'm new to this board and boat in northeast Ohio. We also have an Advantage 22 and I'm curious as to your performance.

Run_em_Hard
07-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Run em Hard, what engine are you running in your 22 Citation. I'm new to this board and boat in northeast Ohio. We also have an Advantage 22 and I'm curious as to your performance.
I am currently running a Blown 509.

Hardly Satisfied
07-11-2006, 08:48 AM
congrats on your new boat enjoy :boxed:

SevenD
07-11-2006, 09:54 AM
A blown 509? What kind of speed on GPS are you seeing? Prop type? RPM? How does that Advatage hull handle at your speeds?

SevenD
07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Run em Hard. . . . out of curiosity, what kind of speed are you getting in your Advantage with the blown 509? What prop ane rpm are you turning?

Run_em_Hard
07-17-2006, 08:02 PM
SevenD check your PM's

pixrthis
07-18-2006, 11:15 PM
I had a 21 Lavey and it did everything and more than I expected. Catalina and Channel Islands many times, Mead to the river the following weekend. Great boat.

SevenD
07-28-2006, 04:22 AM
Anyone else out there running an Advanatage Citation 22' (24 w/swim platform)? It's rare out here in Ohio to see any Advantages. . . . let alone the exact same model.

thor73
07-29-2006, 08:11 PM
so how do you like it?