PDA

View Full Version : How much will it cost to replace gel coat?

zmoz
06-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm currently shopping for a new (old) jet boat in the 16-21' range. There aren't too many of those for sale around here, and a lot of them have some ugly/faded poop colored gel coat. :rolleyes: Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it would cost to have just the top half of the gel coat professionally re-done?

SmokinLowriderSS
06-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Probably 3 or 4 grand to have it done. I just redid the hull of my Taylor, did it myself, and now I know how much the gell costs and where the labor goes. 8 grades of wet sandpaper, plus rubbing & polishing compounds. Was a good time tho. I'll redo the top in a few years once the clear IMRON cover-job gets scarred up enough and take her entirely back to gell. Will likely take $600 in gell to do the top right. The bottom is 2x as much.

Bow Tie Omega
06-26-2006, 10:08 AM
3 to 4 grand is VERY conservative. 5 to 6 thousand is a more realistic estimate on the west coast, and believe it or not 16 ft to 21 ft is a big difference. How may colors and graphic detail will also play a significant role in the total cost. Give me a pm and I can tell you who not to use. Good Luck

zmoz
06-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Ouch. I guess I'll look a little harder for one with gell I like! :cool:

RUSHIN ROULETTE
06-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Contact B & K Boat repair in Bellflower, CA Talk to Ken Meyers, he is one of the best gel-coaters around.

Partycattin
07-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Probably 3 or 4 grand to have it done. I just redid the hull of my Taylor, did it myself, and now I know how much the gell costs and where the labor goes. 8 grades of wet sandpaper, plus rubbing & polishing compounds. Was a good time tho. I'll redo the top in a few years once the clear IMRON cover-job gets scarred up enough and take her entirely back to gell. Will likely take $600 in gell to do the top right. The bottom is 2x as much.
How do you apply the gel? Spray? I understand how gelcoat is done when the boat is originally built, just not too familiar with doing it on a boat that is out of the mold.
I've heard that you apply the gel and a yellowish goup on top to help it cure.

VanDeano
07-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Paint it yourself with awlcraft 2000 I did my 27' Carrera all white in my garage with half of it sticking outside. Very Very durable. Any imperfection get color sanded out then you machine polish. Total cost including primer. $800.

GAWnCA
08-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Paint it yourself with awlcraft 2000 I did my 27' Carrera all white in my garage with half of it sticking outside. Very Very durable. Any imperfection get color sanded out then you machine polish. Total cost including primer. $800.
Van,
Where do you find awlcraft and does it come in colors as well?

GoCiggie31
08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Van,
Where do you find awlcraft and does it come in colors as well?
"
Awlgrip AwlCraft is a premium acrylic urethane topcoat paint. Awlcraft 2000 has a superior flow-out, higher gloss, and easier application than the original Awlgrip. It is fast drying to reduce dust entrapment, and can only be applied by spraying. This is an above the waterline only paint."
This Awlgrip dist:very helpful-I did my entire bilge with their guidance, still very happy
Svendsen's Marine
1851 Clement Avenue
Alameda, Ca. 94501
(510) 522-7860
color info:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=865&PTECH

hkunz
08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Or buy mine complete and ready to run for less than half the cost of a pro gel coat job. 461 Mondello Olds, Berkley jet, 16' Tahiti with full restoration a few years back. PM me if interested.

b's sanger
09-25-2007, 08:59 AM
It was 5k just to gel my 18 footer white. Labor labor labor.

19'daytona
09-30-2007, 07:19 PM
i was quoted 9k for a simple 3 colors,i think you know where i wont be going :)