PDA

View Full Version : My Yukon is smoked!

Perfect Mixer
06-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, I think it's time for a new truck now. I towed the boat home yesterday for the first time from Havasu. We had to issues on the way back. About 30 miles from Barstow we had smoke from the dash area. Definite electrical short smell. It happened once before last year, but I couldn't find any wires, and the dealer just blew it off. Not good. Issue 2, after we climbed the grade on the 241 from the 91 we all noticed this low rumbling noise from the truck. I lifted on the throttle and the noise went away. I think the diff is done now. I know that these things are notorious for differentials and transmission to go south. It's got almost 40K on it now and I don't think I can get back to Havasu with the boat behind it. Not to mention Lake Shasta next weekend (which is why I brought the boat home to begin with). Oh well, I'm off to go truck shopping today. Looks like there starting the July 4th incentives today so I might be in luck!

caroftheweek
06-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Call Jay

dirty old man
06-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Funny how those smells and noises start showing up just when you THINK you need a new truck. But aren't you under warrantee; 40,000 mi ?
But be sure to buy a new truck, its good for the economy. Keep America strong

Havasu1986
06-19-2006, 08:20 AM
you should be getting a lot more than 40 k out of that truck, like 140 k.

Lightning
06-19-2006, 08:28 AM
you should be getting a lot more than 40 k out of that truck, like 140 k.
Exactly, but around 40k if you are towing, you should be do for a rear diff fluid change and tranny fluid change. Electrical smoke is no bueno....sure it wasn't being blown in from the a/c from another vehicle breathing too hard on the road.

Kachina26
06-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Most items are out of warranty at 40k. However, the dealer has the authority to "goodwill policy" the vehicle to 60k. Espescially if you have prior documentation of the short issue.

caroftheweek
06-19-2006, 08:38 AM
get something that is a 3/4 ton or more. 1/2 tons do not like pulling boats your size over any kind of grades. get a 3/4 ton burb. ask Jay, that is what he pulls his boat with sometimes.
Ryan

a catered life
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
wow :220v: only 40k miles wtf ? this is not good

ChumpChange
06-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I got 37,144 miles on my front hub bearings. It was a pain to get some goodwill on those things. What a mess.

Kachina26
06-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I got 37,144 miles on my front hub bearings. It was a pain to get some goodwill on those things. What a mess.Your hub bearings were a direct result of your suspension mods. :D

ChumpChange
06-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Your hub bearings were a direct result of your suspension mods. :D
Which is why I had to take it back to the dealer that lifted it in the first place :yuk: :D :D
If your going to lift a truck...but it from the dealer that way. At lease something will be covered then.

Outnumbered
06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Since I'm the one usually on the receiving end of this type of comment, I will happily return the favor to a GM owner...
Only 40k, what a POS. Shoulda bought a Dodge :D

BajaMike
06-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Well, I think it's time for a new truck now. I towed the boat home yesterday for the first time from Havasu. We had to issues on the way back. About 30 miles from Barstow we had smoke from the dash area. Definite electrical short smell. It happened once before last year, but I couldn't find any wires, and the dealer just blew it off. Not good. Issue 2, after we climbed the grade on the 241 from the 91 we all noticed this low rumbling noise from the truck. I lifted on the throttle and the noise went away. I think the diff is done now. I know that these things are notorious for differentials and transmission to go south. It's got almost 40K on it now and I don't think I can get back to Havasu with the boat behind it. Not to mention Lake Shasta next weekend (which is why I brought the boat home to begin with). Oh well, I'm off to go truck shopping today. Looks like there starting the July 4th incentives today so I might be in luck!
You need a 3/4 ton HD with a 4.10 rear end......you won't even notice the boat behind you.
And don't lift it...that just Fs them up....
:idea:

Perfect Mixer
06-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I knew this was going to turn out to be a brand thrashing thread! Oh well.
Just left my buddies dealer. He's getting some numbers together on a Dodge. I wanted to wait around until the new F250 came out, but I can't wait any longer. Yeah 40K is a little premature for any major components to wear out, but given that it's a GM I call it normal. It is only a 1/2 ton after all. 3/4 ton deisel is on the horizon. I don't really trust anyone doing any major repairs on my own vehicles so i'd rather trade it in than be freaked out that they used a 1/2 inpact to rebuilt my entire drivetrain. Besides the tires where starting to wear out. :)

Outnumbered
06-19-2006, 02:16 PM
I knew this was going to turn out to be a brand thrashing thread! ...not really. It would have to be a broke down Ford or Dodge for that to happen :D Too many bow-tie groupies on this site.
Seriously though, bound to kill a 1/2 ton anything towing a big boat. Get a 3/4 with low gears like was said and you will be fine.

H20 Toie
06-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Just call Jay

BajaMike
06-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I knew this was going to turn out to be a brand thrashing thread! Oh well.
Yeah 40K is a little premature for any major components to wear out, but given that it's a GM I call it normal. It is only a 1/2 ton after all. :
I wouldn't call that normal for a GM....I sold my Chevy 1/2 ton about 6 months ago....it had 260,000 miles, original engine, trany replaced once, orginal front and rear end. My buddy who bought it has put another 30k miles on and it still runs perfect.

BajaMike
06-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Just call Jay
yes....just call Jay....
Your pic just cracks me up....
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar9454_1.gif
Must be a good story behind that one!:D

Outnumbered
06-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't call that normal for a GM....I sold my Chevy 1/2 ton about 6 months ago....it had 260,000 miles, original engine, trany replaced once, orginal front and rear end. My bubby who bought it has put another 30k miles on and it still runs perfect.
What's a "bubby"? :D

Perfect Mixer
06-19-2006, 03:03 PM
I'd call Jay if he sold Dodges! I've got a good friend that owns Motorcars Direct. He deals in mostly high end stuff but he did some calling around for me and it looks like I can get a Dodge for verly little over invoice and still get the $3500 cash back too. Looks like I can get a $47K truck for around $40K which is about as much as I want to pay right now. If I ever want a chevy though, I know who to call. Thanks for the reminders.

CommanderHB
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Perfect Mixer---------- I have a 2005 F-350 diesel FOR SALE

BajaMike
06-19-2006, 03:17 PM
What's a "bubby"? :D
Seems I can't read or write.... :yuk: I fixed it...thanks!

burtandnancy
06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Mixer, quit screwing around. You've already convinced yourself you need a new truck, so get out there any buy one. As per the guys above, time to get out of 1/2 ton and get into at least 3/4. Wait a minute, didn't your boat act a litte funny last time out? Must be time to move up to a new boat as well. Maybe you should be looking at a 1 ton...

Perfect Mixer
06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Mixer, quit screwing around. You've already convinced yourself you need a new truck, so get out there any buy one. As per the guys above, time to get out of 1/2 ton and get into at least 3/4. Wait a minute, didn't your boat act a litte funny last time out? Must be time to move up to a new boat as well. Maybe you should be looking at a 1 ton...
Now wait a minute here. The boat is acting kind of funny, but it's only a year old now. I tend to go through at least 4 vehicles per 1 boat. That seems to be the ratio. Didn't you see this thread:
How many cars have you owned (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91671)
I'm proud to say that I still have my first wife! The cars may change, but the wife stays the same.

burtandnancy
06-19-2006, 05:38 PM
In the last 35 years, I've had more boats than cars, and that may not be a good thing. Now the wife thing, well I finally got a keeper...