PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to put a hole in my boat

Perfect Mixer
06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
for a wired radio remote? I've had this thing here for a year now and want to put it in before we head to shasta next weekend. Is there a special hole saw :rollside: cutter so it won't shatter the glass or gelcoat? I was going to post this in the how to section, but I don't think that I would have gotten a fast enough response.
Sam

uvindex
06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Put masking tape over the place you're going to drill before drilling.
Use a fine-tooth hole saw.
Drill a pilot hole to guide the center bit of the hole saw.
If you're really anal retentive, find a scrap piece of gelled fiberglass (from a boat junkyard or wherever) to practice.
Be careful not to drill into anything behind the place you're drilling (wires, fuel tank, etc.)
Good luck! :)

Perfect Mixer
06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Do they make a diamond blade style hole saw?

Tom Brown
06-19-2006, 04:18 PM
You don't need no stinking diamonds.
Do it the way RatherBeInLHC said. That's how the builders I've seen do it.
Bimetal blade preferred.

phebus
06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Always, always when you are drilling through gelcoat, run the drill backwards through the gel coat before running the bit or hole saw forward through your fiberglass, to avoid chipping.
Also, make sure to view the back of wherever you are going through to make sure it is clear of any wires, plumbing, etc.
And, if your using a hole saw, I like to drill a pilot hole without the hole saw on. If you use the pilot bit with the hole saw, it will pull the hole saw into the work piece, and chip the gel.
If you need help, and you are in SJC, PM me.
Rick

hoolign
06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
You don't need no stinking diamonds.
Do it the way RatherBeInLHC said. That's how the builders I've seen do it.
Bimetal blade preferred.
I don't agree with Tom's suggestion. I would go with a hetrometal blade..at least you'll be sure it doesn't make shitty cuts! Hope this helps!

Wake Havasu
06-19-2006, 04:50 PM
What's the best way to put a hole in my boat
Boat on the Parker strip.

4day!!
06-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Like has ben said , make sure the area behind where you are drilling will accomodate the depth of the remote, and make sure there is nothing back there obviously. I used a hole saw from Lowes. Worked just fine, very clean, crisp cut. Check this this thread
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112679 (http://)

sorry dog
06-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Call Ducky. He's the expert in that area.

sleekcraft137
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
grab a hammer and beat the fu*k out of it

Jesster
06-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Spend 20 bucks and go to Harbor frieght and get a reciprocating air saw 10K RPM and a 3/8" stroke. It cuts the fiberglass like butter. Still gotta drill the pilot hole though. (Thanks SWB made the install of 8 speakers and 2 wired remotes go a lot easier.) But, if you are only cutting 1 hole it may not be worth it, or if you dont have a compressor it wouldnt do you much good either. :rollside: