PDA

View Full Version : Ups Or Fedex?

Riverat84
06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
do anyone have careers w/ these companies? ive been thinking about apping and working my way up....seems like decent companies to work for...let me know!
thanx,
Reid

Charley
06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
My brother started as as an aircraft mechanic with Fed ex back when they had a hub here at LAX.... moved with them to Memphis... been with them for nearly 20 years...he is happy

riverluvr
06-20-2006, 10:48 PM
UPS all the way IMO. Benefits and pay are amazing.....good, solid company too. Good luck!

upsman105
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
See if you can guess. Been with them 18 years, never work weekends, paid vacation, holidays, sick days and medical benefits are great. Pretty much the only job I have ever had though, so what do I know.. :rolleyes:

ROZ
06-20-2006, 11:54 PM
US postoffice is hiring :)

Silver
06-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Fedup!

JetBoatRich
06-21-2006, 04:20 AM
US postoffice is hiring :)
experience with a gun a plus :rolleyes:

Burn Out
06-21-2006, 05:41 AM
I've worked for UPS 7 years part time! Get full time benefits! Work the evening shift, 4 hrs a night for 20 hrs a week! Benefits are free for the whole family! Good 401k plan and a 10% discount on company stock!
Depends where you hire out at, may take a while to be full time employee. There are the Package car drivers and Semi Drivers! They are Full time for sure, and may have to take a few years of grunt work inside the hub before some openings for full time jobs are available. Just depends where ya at and how bad they need drivers! Management works the same way, work for them part time and apply later for management! The name of the game here is that they like to hire/promote from within!
I hear that FEDEX has their drivers buy their trucks and routes, so if you are interested in being your own boss thats the way to go. No benefits, unless you buy your own.
I just left UPS for working on the railroad for Union Pacific, so PM me if you have any other questions!
Go BROWN! :rollside:

NOTALENT
06-21-2006, 05:50 AM
UPS....I need a discount....lol...plus you will always have a Halloween costume... :crossx:

voodoomedman
06-21-2006, 06:21 AM
do anyone have careers w/ these companies? ive been thinking about apping and working my way up....seems like decent companies to work for...let me know!
thanx,
Reid
PM me. I started as a Christmas hire and I am now an Account Manager. I'd be glad to answer your questions. If you have the drive you can do well for yourself with our company. You won't get rich overnight but you will be extremely stable and retire at 55 a very happy person. Same thing if you stay on the Union side but that is more of a waiting game til your number comes up to drive.

dmontzsta
06-21-2006, 06:25 AM
I have only used FedEx for many years. My cousin works at UPS and says they are slave drivers, he has been in hell for around 8 years, trying to move up the ladder. If it were me, I would go with the USPS, I have a buddy that works there he gets about 6 weeks of vacation time a year and full benefits.

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2006, 06:29 AM
oh here is just a tidbit of info about working at the USPO... Postal employees are the only ppl that a(any) state can not garnish thier wages...

voodoomedman
06-21-2006, 06:38 AM
I have only used FedEx for many years. My cousin works at UPS and says they are slave drivers, he has been in hell for around 8 years, trying to move up the ladder. If it were me, I would go with the USPS, I have a buddy that works there he gets about 6 weeks of vacation time a year and full benefits.
I have a half sister that works for the USPS in management and says the same thing about being slaves. If your in management you have to be built for it. Some people go for the extra pay and that's all and then always complain. Not that it is a cake walk but you get my point. There may be rough times but overall it's a good deal. The only bad part is long hours if you are in operations but they are changing that. If your not talking about management then UPS is the way to go once again. Our drivers are the highest paid period. FedEx drivers want to be UPS drivers. Ours are paid something like 30% more than their air drivers. Their ground drivers are in a lawsuit to be classified as employees because they are currently classified as independant contractors who have to buy their own trucks and routes and get paid a piece of the package only and have to find their own coverage for days off so they essentially lose money. All this and FedEx tells them what to do and how and when to do it. USPS all I can say is have fun working on Saturday's while us guys in brown are at the lake.

flat broke
06-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Reid,
You work for a refinery right? Unless somethings really wrong, I'm guessing that over the long run you'd do quite well for yourself there.
I worked at Fedex duing college, so my input may be somewhat dated, but here's the scoop from the garage on Jefferson in Culver City. Decent benefits once you get past a temporary position. You WILL have to work your way up and FedEx is good about promoting from within. However, from my observations FedEx is also so proud of their ethnic diversity, being a honkey might slow the ride down for you a bit. I watched it happen in our garage (not to me as I wasn't looking for a lifelong career with FedEx) with three separate individuals. And from the emphasis they put on hiring the most Affrican Americans of any fortune whatever company during orrientation, I'd guess there's something to it. You start off a handler, which around the hollidays is a great workout, then move up from there. If you're looking FedEx don't look into the ground opperations. Stay with the blue and orrange guys ;)
Scuttlebut I've heard on UPS back when I was working at Fedex, and since then: the drivers are union and with that comes all the benefits and liabilities associated with union employment. I've heard the slave driver thing about UPS and can tell you for sure that it exists at FedEx. By the nature of the business both companies are very time orriented, and for some people that can create a pressure cooker situation that is hard to deal with.
This is slightly off topic, but you're young and it sounds like you are looking for a start in a life long career/industry. Those gigs are harder and harder to find, so choose wisely. The USPS has some distinct advantages, but much like Fedex and UPS you'll just be doing your time waiting for the next rung to appear on the ladder. If you have the patience for that, it's cool, but some folks dont.
Don't overlook some trades related to your current job either. Pipefitters make good money, and their union provides you with skills that are transferable to other areas. A skill set is what will keep you employed, not a job title, so be mindful of that. If FedEx and UPS went tits up tomorrow, what would you have on your resume from there? There are so many different career opportunities for somone your age, the hardest part is finding one you like so that you wont get burnt out. If you're just looking at the wage and need a "for sure" deal that's going to be around for a while, don't mind hard work, and can handle an unconventional schedule, the jobs you've asked about, as well as those I metioned as well as Law Enforcement, and Firefighting would be areas to consider.
Sorry for getting off topic, but sometimes we get one track minded and don't see the other options that are available to us.
Chris

Aqua Boogie1
06-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I've worked for UPS 7 years part time! Get full time benefits! Work the evening shift, 4 hrs a night for 20 hrs a week! Benefits are free for the whole family! Good 401k plan and a 10% discount on company stock!
Depends where you hire out at, may take a while to be full time employee. There are the Package car drivers and Semi Drivers! They are Full time for sure, and may have to take a few years of grunt work inside the hub before some openings for full time jobs are available. Just depends where ya at and how bad they need drivers! Management works the same way, work for them part time and apply later for management! The name of the game here is that they like to hire/promote from within!
I hear that FEDEX has their drivers buy their trucks and routes, so if you are interested in being your own boss thats the way to go. No benefits, unless you buy your own.
I just left UPS for working on the railroad for Union Pacific, so PM me if you have any other questions!
Go BROWN! :rollside:
I've been with Fed Ex for 13yrs. So if you have ?'s, hit me up. But just to put it out there, Fed Ex Express does NOT make buy your truck and routes. There are different Fed Ex's, Express, ground, home, custom critical and theres one more. Now Ground used to be that way because they were RPS before we bought them and thats how they worked, so we followed it. I don't know if thats changed but I think it has. But anymore ?'s, pm me.

That Guy
06-21-2006, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=flat broke]being a honkey might slow the ride down for you a bit. QUOTE]
Now that made me laugh out loud....honkey.... :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Eliminator 4 Life
06-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Reid,
You work for a refinery right? Unless somethings really wrong, I'm guessing that over the long run you'd do quite well for yourself there.
I worked at Fedex duing college, so my input may be somewhat dated, but here's the scoop from the garage on Jefferson in Culver City. Decent benefits once you get past a temporary position. You WILL have to work your way up and FedEx is good about promoting from within. However, from my observations FedEx is also so proud of their ethnic diversity, being a honkey might slow the ride down for you a bit. I watched it happen in our garage (not to me as I wasn't looking for a lifelong career with FedEx) with three separate individuals. And from the emphasis they put on hiring the most Affrican Americans of any fortune whatever company during orrientation, I'd guess there's something to it. You start off a handler, which around the hollidays is a great workout, then move up from there. If you're looking FedEx don't look into the ground opperations. Stay with the blue and orrange guys ;)
Scuttlebut I've heard on UPS back when I was working at Fedex, and since then: the drivers are union and with that comes all the benefits and liabilities associated with union employment. I've heard the slave driver thing about UPS and can tell you for sure that it exists at FedEx. By the nature of the business both companies are very time orriented, and for some people that can create a pressure cooker situation that is hard to deal with.
This is slightly off topic, but you're young and it sounds like you are looking for a start in a life long career/industry. Those gigs are harder and harder to find, so choose wisely. The USPS has some distinct advantages, but much like Fedex and UPS you'll just be doing your time waiting for the next rung to appear on the ladder. If you have the patience for that, it's cool, but some folks dont.
Don't overlook some trades related to your current job either. Pipefitters make good money, and their union provides you with skills that are transferable to other areas. A skill set is what will keep you employed, not a job title, so be mindful of that. If FedEx and UPS went tits up tomorrow, what would you have on your resume from there? There are so many different career opportunities for somone your age, the hardest part is finding one you like so that you wont get burnt out. If you're just looking at the wage and need a "for sure" deal that's going to be around for a while, don't mind hard work, and can handle an unconventional schedule, the jobs you've asked about, as well as those I metioned as well as Law Enforcement, and Firefighting would be areas to consider.
Sorry for getting off topic, but sometimes we get one track minded and don't see the other options that are available to us.
Chris
Chris not saying its impossible but I really dont believe UPS would ever go tits up I have been with them for 13 years and UPS is a triple A bond rated company so for them to go tits up would be a huge deprssion. I also dont recommend working there unless u dont have a life :)

voodoomedman
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
I've been with Fed Ex for 13yrs. So if you have ?'s, hit me up. But just to put it out there, Fed Ex Express does NOT make buy your truck and routes. There are different Fed Ex's, Express, ground, home, custom critical and theres one more. Now Ground used to be that way because they were RPS before we bought them and thats how they worked, so we followed it. I don't know if thats changed but I think it has. But anymore ?'s, pm me.
The other would be FedEx Freight. FedEx ground was RPS and now that it is FedEx and their are a bit more rules then the drivers have sued is many states to become employees but it is in appeals. At least in Crowdifornia it is.

Aqua Boogie1
06-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Chris not saying its impossible but I really dont believe UPS would ever go tits up I have been with them for 13 years and UPS is a triple A bond rated company so for them to go tits up would be a huge deprssion. I also dont recommend working there unless u dont have a life :)
I think that is also true, cause UPS owns the ground trade and Fed Ex own the air. And the last I heard was that UPS was large enough to purchase Fed EX right now with no problem with there cash flow. But they are both major major players in there field. You have UPS and FED EX at the top and the rest a few steps down the ladder.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I think that is also true, cause UPS owns the ground trade and Fed Ex own the air. And the last I heard was that UPS was large enough to purchase Fed EX right now with no problem with there cash flow. But they are both major major players in there field. You have UPS and FED EX at the top and the rest a few steps down the ladder.
When you gonna come get that new boat playboy :)

Aqua Boogie1
06-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh and just to put it out there, Im a Export/Import Shipping Supervisor.

Aqua Boogie1
06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
The other would be FedEx Freight. FedEx ground was RPS and now that it is FedEx and their are a bit more rules then the drivers have sued is many states to become employees but it is in appeals. At least in Crowdifornia it is.
Yes, I have heard that there are many problems over there.

Aqua Boogie1
06-21-2006, 02:27 PM
When you gonna come get that new boat playboy :)
It eating me alive not having one. But I won't do anything until after the wedding which is Aug. 19th. I know I told you I didn't want that payment, but I think my mind is changing!!!!!

Eliminator 4 Life
06-21-2006, 02:45 PM
It eating me alive not having one. But I won't do anything until after the wedding which is Aug. 19th. I know I told you I didn't want that payment, but I think my mind is changing!!!!!
HAHA sounds good and congrats on getting married soon. :)

olbiezer
06-21-2006, 02:57 PM
i have to agree with the time orented thing said before in this thread.......i used to work in louisville ky air traffic control tower and thats where ups air is home based.........man what a operation.......between 11pm and 1:30am they land 100 to 120 heavy aircraft........unload.......sort and reload all 120 aircraft by 4 am and off they go...........looks like ants building a new mound every where u look there are tugs .........real tight operation in thunderstorms lol

beyondhelpin
06-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Honkey?
I prefer Caucasian American, thank you.

Riverat84
06-21-2006, 04:05 PM
ha! well shiat guys, i dont really care where i go in w/ both companies, as long as there are decent ways to move up w/ both companies. ill pm you both.
Reid
thanx alot guys.

voodoomedman
06-21-2006, 04:20 PM
ha! well shiat guys, i dont really care where i go in w/ both companies, as long as there are decent ways to move up w/ both companies. ill pm you both.
Reid
thanx alot guys.
Remember to PM me.

HBjet
06-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I used FedEx back in the late 90's and they were great, until they all went on strike!!! Started using FedEx and I've been happy ever since.
I know this could be for any driver, but my FedEx drivers are a lot better then our UPS drivers. If no one answers the back door for the UPS driver, they leave a note. The FedEx driver comes around to the front of the office... Little things like that, and staying for a few extra minutes to get packages out, or even coming back a little later. Our UPS driver is here when he wants to be, and doesn't wait a second longer, or try to deliver the package if no one answers the back door in the warehouse...
RD, why don't you just start your own shipping company "CuttingEdgeTransit" or something... LOL...
Good Luck!
HBjet