PDA

View Full Version : More Reasons To Drive Safely To The River

Riomouse911
06-21-2006, 01:54 AM
The SB Sun had a front page article on the Baker fire station this morning, with some sobering stats to look at:
I 15 is served by just two fire/rescue houses, One County fire crew near Barstow and a non full time "paid-call" / volunteer station in Baker.
I-15 had 14.6 million vehicles travel on it in 2005, with 4,388 wrecks and 228 fatalities.
I-40 is served by three stations, The same two that serve I-15, and the County station in Needles. It had 4.8 million vehicles in 2005, and 1459 wrecks with 104 fatalities.
If you wreck on I-40 Between Barstow and Ludlow, the rescue crew rolls from Barstow. Between Ludlow and Kelbaker road, they roll either from Barstow or all the way down Kelbaker Road from Baker. Between Kelbaker and Needles, the rescue crew rolls from Needles. :2purples:
In other words, you're pretty much on your own if you get hurt between Barstow and Needles because the distances are so vast. That probably contributes to the higher percentage of fatals on I-40.
Drive safely... saving 60 minutes by hauling ass and chopping through traffic just doesn't seem worth it anymore when the risks are considered... specially with the kids on board. :skull:

JetBoatRich
06-21-2006, 04:21 AM
must be why they call it the middle of nowhere :mad:

RitcheyRch
06-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Pretty scary to think of what can and could happen out there.

BigDoug
06-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Two weeks ago my best friend Gary was coming home to Lancaster from Havasu and fell a sleep at the wheel and had a big crash, family hurt etc etc. it took over an hour for help to arrive, serious injuries were involved but thank god no deaths.