PDA

View Full Version : ???? for pontoon boat owners????

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Are they e-z to handle?
Do they trailer OK?
Do you regret buying them?
How fast can you get them?
Besides Playcraft, Evolution, Bennington, should I look at any others?
Do you beach them on the rocky beaches?
IO or Outboard?
Ruff water?
Tri or double pontoons?
I totally apreciate any help!

CornWater
06-21-2006, 08:03 AM
We have a JC tritoon, and it's great for what it does. We use when we take the dog, or just want to hang low, but it sucks for going any distance. Usually by the time you get there, everyone is going somewhere else. You get to the next spot, and they are going somewhere else.... cat and mouse all day. Ours is an I/O, but only a V6. Boat goes maybe 35ish.

LOWRIVER2
06-21-2006, 08:09 AM
If you're gonna make it your single boat, go tritoon and go with big block power. Lots of people on Parker Strip are going with the JC's and the Evolution's. I drove a 24 pontoon with a 4 cyl. I/O most of last summer. Like mentioned, too slow if it was your only boat. The new big blocks see 50-60 easily and can do everything. Just have a good anchor as they "hunt" in the wind when moored. Putting them on the trailer should be no harder than your cat. I also ran in a 26 Daytona and it was about the same for loading.
Good luck.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 08:10 AM
We have a JC tritoon, and it's great for what it does. We use when we take the dog, or just want to hang low, but it sucks for going any distance. Usually by the time you get there, everyone is going somewhere else. You get to the next spot, and they are going somewhere else.... cat and mouse all day. Ours is an I/O, but only a V6. Boat goes maybe 35ish.
Baller pontoon and the eliminator?? Wow

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 08:11 AM
If you're gonna make it your single boat, go tritoon and go with big block power. Lots of people on Parker Strip are going with the JC's and the Evolution's. I drove a 24 pontoon with a 4 cyl. I/O most of last summer. Like mentioned, too slow if it was your only boat. The new big blocks see 50-60 easily and can do everything. Just have a good anchor as they "hunt" in the wind when moored. Putting them on the trailer should be no harder than your cat. I also ran in a 26 Daytona and it was about the same for loading.
Good luck.
Thanks bro good advice.

Todd969
06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
We have the 06' JC 266 pictured below.
Are they e-z to handle? Very easy if it's light winds, but stiff winds with the bimini's up can make it a sail boat. My wife loves to drive it at slow speeds and didn't take too long to adjust to it from our 25' Nordic.
Do they trailer OK? We have a slip and only would trailer 4 miles.
Do you regret buying them? Best boating investment we made PERIOD.
How fast can you get them? Ours is a 350mag, full gas and gear, 7/8 people 36-38mph
Besides Playcraft, Evolution, Bennington, should I look at any others? JC
Do you beach them on the rocky beaches? You can, but as of yet we have not.
IO or Outboard? Your call, the new Merc Verado 275 seems to be a great outboard
Ruff water? Any time on Havasu and it's fine at 30mph
Tri or double pontoons? TRI

ADDICTED
06-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Are they e-z to handle? Very easy if it's light winds, but stiff winds with the bimini's up can make it a sail boat. My wife loves to drive it at slow speeds and didn't take too long to adjust to it from our 25' Nordic.
How fast can you get them? Ours is a 350mag, full gas and gear, 7/8 people 36-38mph
Exzctly what he said except yes on beaching them on the rocks. The rocky spots is designated pontoon parking only.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Sounds good to me thanks! Big block and tri so far!!

2Driver
06-21-2006, 08:48 AM
We've had 2 of them ( along with a lot of other boats) and they are great. Go to the JC web site and read up on the Tritoon model especially the hull design page. Craftsmanship is great.
We towed ours all over the state constantly. Was that you launching Monday morn at the Marina?

lalhc
06-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Hey Mike - my kids like the one's w/slides on them!

OutCole'd
06-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Hey Mike - my kids like the one's w/slides on them!
Mine to, I think he should get a huge one with a beer tap & kickin stereo.

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 08:56 AM
you need one of these:
http://www.playcraftboats.com/image/PBSPEED2108416xx.jpg

Not So Fast
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
you need one of these:
http://www.playcraftboats.com/image/PBSPEED2108416xx.jpg
Isn't there somthing similar out at the Islander, like a 496HO or twin O/B's that run 80 or so???? Thought I saw that on here. NSF

GunninGopher
06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
I had a 24' Tracker with a 115 on it. It was a little heavier than stock (don't know if that matters much).
It would run 25 MPH
The trailer had pretty small guides, so it was difficult to retrieve until we figured out a couple of tricks
It was a complete pain in the rear in the harbor if it was windy. Taking the tops down does help.
I wish I had it when I was younger, instead of just wife and 2 kids. It was too roomy for us now, but when I was 20, it would have kicked butt. With the jet I had then I used to have to make 4 runs up river to get all my friends (and theirs) where we were.
With both tops up it was easily 10 degrees cooler on the boat than on the sand under a canopy.
If you don't like going remarkably slow, get a tri-toon. Those are much faster

Havasu Carrera
06-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Has small dia. toons and only two of them not TRI toon. 150 hp merc outboard. (inline 6) 2 stroke
Ran awesome had ski prop but drove it 2 times after the first day out listed it on e-bay. (BOREING!!!) Did not turn to hot either! (OK so my cat does'nt drive like a slot car either)
(BOREING!!!) Handled 1-2 foot chop ok but so do the docks in the harbors.
So I got little men syndrome.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 09:46 AM
We've had 2 of them ( along with a lot of other boats) and they are great. Go to the JC web site and read up on the Tritoon model especially the hull design page. Craftsmanship is great.
We towed ours all over the state constantly. Was that you launching Monday morn at the Marina?
Monday am I was in Barstow probably, I did see my twin out there this past weekend though.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 09:54 AM
why won't JC step up and put more horsepower in their boats like playcraft? you can get a 496 mag in the playcraft or optional twin outboards :) :)

Todd969
06-21-2006, 10:08 AM
why won't JC step up and put more horsepower in their boats like playcraft? you can get a 496 mag in the playcraft or optional twin outboards :) :)
Bennington offers the HO in the 28' model.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Isn't there somthing similar out at the Islander, like a 496HO or twin O/B's that run 80 or so???? Thought I saw that on here. NSF
Shimmer Marine had the boat in the photo above for sale at one point earlier this year.

socal87
06-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Get one of these. This was posted awhile back.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3396Fubbt.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Same boat that was posted above by Caroftheweek.
Get one of these. This was posted awhile back.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3396Fubbt.jpg

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 10:36 AM
I wonder how much something like that would run? $70k? getting pretty close to deck boat territory at that price.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I wonder how much something like that would run? $70k? getting pretty close to deck boat territory at that price.
I think I heard that a Playcraft with a 496 was ~$65k. As you said, getting kind of close to the lower end of deckboat pricing.

Todd969
06-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I think I heard that a Playcraft with a 496 was ~$65k. As you said, getting kind of close to the lower end of deckboat pricing.
Not even the same. You may not go 70mph in a toon, but it sure is alot more comfortable and cheaper to insure. Besides, you can beach almost anywhere.

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Not even the same. You may not go 70mph in a toon, but it sure is alot more comfortable and cheaper to insure. Besides, you can beach almost anywhere.
How much do you pay for insurance? our deck boat is pretty darn cheap (~$700/year).
$65k for a single 496. the twin o/b's would definitely be more than that. So easily into the $70k range or more.

Todd969
06-21-2006, 11:03 AM
How much do you pay for insurance? our deck boat is pretty darn cheap (~$700/year).
$65k for a single 496. the twin o/b's would definitely be more than that. So easily into the $70k range or more.
I'm pretty sure it's in the $500.00 range with more than needed coverage. Also includes Stereo, 5k in personal and towing.
I guess my point was, while you can go faster in a deck boat, you still don't seem to get the room or ability to beach "almost" anywhere and not worry.
And I can also make 3 round trips to Topock from the channel on 1 tank of gas. Do that in a 496! :)

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure it's in the $500.00 range with more than needed coverage. Also includes Stereo, 5k in personal and towing.
I guess my point was, while you can go faster in a deck boat, you still don't seem to get the room or ability to beach "almost" anywhere and not worry.
And I can also make 3 round trips to Topock from the channel on 1 tank of gas. Do that in a 496! :)
point taken. the appealing thing about a tooner is that you have to worry about it so much. like being able to park anywhere. scratching the gel is not a huge concern, i would imagine. but, i would really like to be able to do 60 or so. so there is the problem for me any way. i would love nothing better than to just cruise by some doing like 55 in a tooner :) :)
we had a suntracker back in the day as a second boat and it was great because you could do anything to it and no one cared. great for kids and animals. the 35 hp merc :rollside: hanging off the back sucked but there is a downside to everything.

UncleLarry
06-21-2006, 11:17 AM
If you really want to enjoy your pontoon make sure it will do at least 40mph.. Then the trip home from the springs, sandbar, or topock does not take all day.....
The Playcraft with twin 300 racing engines did a top speed of 88mph....
Deck boat vs. Pontoon... before you "dis" the pontoon go for a ride in one especially if you have kids or are old like me....

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 11:21 AM
If you really want to enjoy your pontoon make sure it will do at least 40mph.. Then the trip home from the springs, sandbar, or topock does not take all day.....
The Playcraft with twin 300 racing engines did a top speed of 88mph....
Deck boat vs. Pontoon... before you "dis" the pontoon go for a ride in one especially if you have kids or are old like me....
no dissing going on here. infact that may be in our future due to the
practicallity, dog, and we have a child in the oven :boxed: i just wanted to find
out how feasible a 60mph pontoon was.

unleashed
06-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I never thought I'd like a pontoon but I was definitly wrong. Im tired of the stress of driving the Force all day and dodging idiots on the lake. The pontoon is less stress free....beach anywhere, nice bbq, the wife can drive it and I drink, fits more people, 2 year warranty on motor and drive....easy access, less than 50g out the door and that inluded everything from sand spike...life vests, bbq and a whole bunch of other shiat! Obviously Im getting a little older so maybe my priorities are changing a little. Doing over 130 on the lake just doesnt have the thrill it used to for me. Dammit I knew this day would come! :cry:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Phat Matt
06-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I never thought I'd like a pontoon but I was definitly wrong. Im tired of the stress of driving the Force all day and dodging idiots on the lake. The pontoon is less stress free....beach anywhere, nice bbq, the wife can drive it and I drink, fits more people, 2 year warranty on motor and drive....easy access, less than 50g out the door and that inluded everything from sand spike...life vests, bbq and a whole bunch of other shiat! Obviously Im getting a little older so maybe my priorities are changing a little. Doing over 130 on the lake just doesnt have the thrill it used to for me. Dammit I knew this day would come! :cry:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:
Sounds like you are one step away from a walker. :jawdrop:
Here is a new avatar for you. :p
http://www.openhere.com/images/newsimgs/nav_armenian_old_woman_walker.jpg

LHC30Victory
06-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Sounds like you are one step away from a walker. :jawdrop:
Here is a new avatar for you. :p
http://www.openhere.com/images/newsimgs/nav_armenian_old_woman_walker.jpg
Now THAT's Funny!

RandyH
06-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Sounds to me like we are going to need a Forum section for this..... :cry:
RandyH

sdpm
06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
We have a 26' JC Tritoon with a 225hp Mercury. Perfect family boat with kids and friends and dogs. Cruises at 32mph at 4200 rpm and gets pretty good mileage at that rpm. Tows great and it rides awsome. Talk about relaxing! Can't hear the engine, full length bimini top, and you can hear the stereo while running. Wouldn't trade it for nothing!

Warlockjer
06-21-2006, 12:44 PM
We have a 266 JC tritoon with a 350 mag, and on a good day will do about 40 on GPS. It rides great ,even in choppy conditions. Its a pontoon for Christ sake, how fast do you want to go. What do you do when you get there??? Getting there is half the fun. We had the big noisy go fast boat and really don't miss it abit!! Slow down and enjoy life. :) :) :)

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 01:31 PM
You guys have helped so much, thanks again. Now I have alot of shopping to do.

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 01:40 PM
You guys have helped so much, thanks again. Now I have alot of shopping to do.
Is this the route you are going to take once you sell the daytona?

No Regrets
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
This week.

DrinkinSpeed
06-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Have never regretted my 26' Playcraft. Merc 350 bulletproof engine, 47 mph gps and tons of fun and shade! Insurance is 399 with progressive and 384 with statefarm.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-21-2006, 02:04 PM
AA and TA I sell JC's so if you need anything let me know :) And we have some that go 50mph

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 02:32 PM
AA and TA I sell JC's so if you need anything let me know :) And we have some that go 50mph
what is powering that 50mph boat? is it a 26' doing 50?

hipcash
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Eliminator 4 Life]AA and TA I sell JC's so if you need anything let me know :) And we have some that go 50mph[/QUOTE
I thought Todd said his does 36 to 38 with the 350 Mag. Are you seeing those speeds with the Volvo?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I think I am. I will have both probably with the way the sale is going!!

H20 Toie
06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Make sure it has wheelchair access it sounds like you will be needing it soon. You should probably start shopping for an electric wheelchair also. :)

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Make sure it has wheelchair access it sounds like you will be needing it soon. You should probably start shopping for an electric wheelchair also. :)
Just because I already have a chick means I don't have to have a big fancy boat anymore. Plus I will have room for all her friends!!

lalhc
06-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Don't forget the slide - you can beach it below my trailer :crossx:

Seadog
06-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Aloha makes several hot models, including one that offers twin 250s. A lot of the manufacturer's models with 300+ HP are good for 55+. There are also many options that improve performance. Strakes and other performance mods do great. One manufacturer uses a larger middle log and allows more of a deck boat type turning feel. Each brand offers its own virtues. It is always best to test them out. You can even get a model that uses plastic logs. A little more on the luxury setup, but it has potential. It is called a Windsor.
Towing is no big as long as you accept the amount of wind resistance. Compared to a glass boat, they weigh a lot less. My personal preference is to go with 14" wheels, but a lot of people like the 10".
They handle well in moderately rough water. If you can take a bowrider out, a pontoon should be Ok. They are boxy, so wind and currents are more of a factor than with some boats, but you get used to it. A lot more people tend to like the ride. Going across a lake at 30 mph and have people feel comfortable about moving around is great.
OBs are best if you can get the HP and can afford it. Nothing wrong with I/Os and you can add a blower later.

TCHB
06-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I sold my Howard 22 Offshore and now have a 25 Bennington tri toon with a 225 HP Honda on the back. We love the boat and it runs close to 50mph. It is a pleasure to drive and a great boat for long summer days. If you ever want a ride let me know we are in Havasu most weekends.

wildbillg
06-21-2006, 08:29 PM
If you want to go out for a ride in a pontoon
JC or Bennington
Just give me a call I will take you out and you can see for yourself
Todd - Jc 266
Unleashed
Deano - Bennington 22
Soon to be:
Shadow - JC 266
Kilrtoy - JC or Bennington (Mrs has to choose)
slowinhavasu - ( just have to get momma in the store)

pleasantcat
06-21-2006, 08:49 PM
wadup billy boy! can you get me a 30daytona hull for my ao hull :D that way i can re-rig the daytona with my engines/drives and hardware and have my dream boat

slowinhavasu
06-21-2006, 08:50 PM
If you want to go out for a ride in a pontoon
JC or Bennington
Just give me a call I will take you out and you can see for yourself
Todd - Jc 266
Unleashed
Deano - Bennington 22
Soon to be:
Shadow - JC 266
Kilrtoy - JC or Bennington (Mrs has to choose)
slowinhavasu - ( just have to get momma in the store)
Thanks Bill, I'll keep that in mind...... :)

PBOCOP
06-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Be sure to give Playcraft a good look.
I have 4 friends that have them and they absolutely love them. I have 2 friends with Bennington's and they wish they would have gone Playcraft. I have 1 friend with a JC and they wish they had Playcraft.
It might have something to do with how good mine looks when it is sitting in the channel next to theirs. Mine is a 26 foot Playcraft Xtreme Powertoon, 350 Mag Bravo 1, does about 55mph, Tri toon, smooth as can be, so much room, everything in the inside all custom designed how you want it, pull out front gate, no front rails, etc. I paid about $52k out the door but I think they went up a bit. My buddy ordered a 27 footer last weeked and I think his was about $62k. They are very popular and very hard to find used because people hold onto them. I had my toons polished the day I got it and that was the best thing I could have done. I get more comments in my toon than any other boat I've had. Chrome toons !!
Anyways, you can't go wrong with Playcraft.
PBO

pleasantcat
06-21-2006, 08:52 PM
then again all this toon talk, can we put my two engines/drives in a 30'toon and try for 100mph :crossx:

wildbillg
06-21-2006, 09:00 PM
then again all this toon talk, can we put my two engines/drives in a 30'toon and try for 100mph :crossx:
LOL
Just go get some 55 gallon drums and have them welded together and put some plywood on top and youll be happy....

pleasantcat
06-21-2006, 09:09 PM
hmmmm that could be fun! if you run into a 30daytona that looks like a good swap deal let me know.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Lets put it this way every customer that has drove a JC on a test drive has bought one the boat speaks for itself :) . Anyone looking for a good deal Im having a huge sale this weekend. Rob

wildbillg
06-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Lets put it this way every customer that has drove a JC on a test drive has bought one the boat speaks for itself :) . Anyone looking for a good deal Im having a huge sale this weekend. Rob
That pretty much sums it up right there..
Ive only got about 6 266 left how about you..

Eliminator 4 Life
06-21-2006, 09:49 PM
That pretty much sums it up right there..
Ive only got about 6 266 left how about you..
I think I got 6 also maybe more. I got 4 246 still coming two are supposed to be delivered this week. I think the hots ones this year has been the 246's I cant seem to keep them in stock.
Are the JC's still out selling the Benningtons. Also have you got any info on the electric JC's yet?? Rob

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Be sure to give Playcraft a good look.
I have 4 friends that have them and they absolutely love them. I have 2 friends with Bennington's and they wish they would have gone Playcraft. I have 1 friend with a JC and they wish they had Playcraft.
It might have something to do with how good mine looks when it is sitting in the channel next to theirs. Mine is a 26 foot Playcraft Xtreme Powertoon, 350 Mag Bravo 1, does about 55mph, Tri toon, smooth as can be, so much room, everything in the inside all custom designed how you want it, pull out front gate, no front rails, etc. I paid about $52k out the door but I think they went up a bit. My buddy ordered a 27 footer last weeked and I think his was about $62k. They are very popular and very hard to find used because people hold onto them. I had my toons polished the day I got it and that was the best thing I could have done. I get more comments in my toon than any other boat I've had. Chrome toons !!
Anyways, you can't go wrong with Playcraft.
PBO
do you have a pic of your boat with the polished pontoons?

hipcash
06-22-2006, 07:02 AM
I've heard Playcraft is going to build a 32 with twin 496

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 07:18 AM
I've heard Playcraft is going to build a 32 with twin 496
can you say $100k tooner boat? :2purples: :2purples:

Todd969
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm not pushing JC nor trying to help Bill or Rob sell a toon. Everybody has different tastes and those individuals need to make their own choices. We happen to love our JC because it does what we want. Darrell drove it last night 28mph at 3400rpm and it just cruises. It does not go 50mph, but you can ski, tube and wake board behind it. As Darrell stated in the other thread, "it's like a living room on the water."

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Wow All the info has sold me for sure!! Who wants a crapy 30 Daytona??

wildbillg
06-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Wow All the info has sold me for sure!! Who wants a crapy 30 Daytona??
PLEASENTCAT........

Eliminator 4 Life
06-22-2006, 01:22 PM
PLEASENTCAT........
wildbill u never said what you had for inventory I left you a comment above talking about what I had? Thanks Rob

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
wildbill u never said what you had for inventory I left you a comment above talking about what I had? Thanks Rob
E4L... i left you a comment on what engine package would make a JC move at 50+mph. i am intersted to know. playcraft seems to have the "performance" (if you can call it that) side of the pontoon market. if JC had something comparable the would make things interesting... Thanks.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Playcraft is it! 27 ft. Powdered toons HO for the motor and wakeboard tower to hold the speakers!!

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Playcraft is it! 27 ft. Powdered toons HO for the motor and wakeboard tower to hold the speakers!!
VERY COOL!!
what kind of speeds should you see with that setup? do they powdercoat the entire toon or just the top side? what kind of $$$$ if you don't mind

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-22-2006, 03:14 PM
VERY COOL!!
what kind of speeds should you see with that setup? do they powdercoat the entire toon or just the top side? what kind of $$$$ if you don't mind
around 60 and around $70. Just the toons are coated. $70 is way decked out though!

Tremor Girl
YIIPPPEEEE!!!! Lola has a new boat to ride in :D :D :D

RiverDave
As well does anyone have more info on that Twin Outboard Toon?
RD

wildbillg
06-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Sorry I logged off last night
I have some 6 266 or so and about 4 224 and one 222
we have some more that should be here this week all 266 and then we got 2 or 3 trucks of benningtons comming in yet also, I should have enough to get me to the 07's. Ill check on it tommarow when Im at work im off today..

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 03:20 PM
when are you taking delivery? i am going to have to check that out. last i heard they were only putting the mags in and not the HO's. 425hp in a tooner; that sounds pretty cool.

wildbillg
06-22-2006, 03:24 PM
when are you taking delivery? i am going to have to check that out. last i heard they were only putting the mags in and not the HO's. 425hp in a tooner; that sounds pretty cool.
They are putting the HO in the Benningtons 25 and 28
not CHEAP I think the last one we sold with the 25 ho was like 70+
and the 28 was retailin for over 80

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
They are putting the HO in the Benningtons 25 and 28
not CHEAP I think the last one we sold with the 25 ho was like 70+
and the 28 was retailin for over 80
that 25 footer must run 65 mph or so with an HO. big money for a piece of plywood and a couple pontoons.

Havasu Cig
06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Go drive them all and pick the one that fit's your needs the best. I looked at the JC's and I don't like the styling and layout. I also test drove a 26 Playcraft and my 28 Bennington on the same day about 1 hour apart. Both boats had the 350 mag and the speed was almost identical. I was actually expecting the playcraft to be a lot faster but the Bennington ran 45 and the Playcraft was within a couple miles an hour.
For us it came down to layout. We spend 95% of the time hanging out, and we felt the Bennington was the most plush out of the ones we looked at. I would say the Playcraft was actually the least plush IMO. Try them out and buy the boat that best fits your needs.
We don't regret buying the Bennington at all, and we are actually going to put the Skater up for sale in the next couple of weeks. I can't go to the lake for 3-4 days at a time anymore, and for the quick weekends the pontoon is just easier to use. It is rated for 20 people so everybody can hang out together, which also makes the one or two day trips more fun. The BBQ, fridge, double bimini's, ton's of seating etc... can't be beat IMO.

Havasu Cig
06-22-2006, 03:50 PM
that 25 footer must run 65 mph or so with an HO. big money for a piece of plywood and a couple pontoons.
The price of a deckboat in the same range with the same power is a lot of money for a piece of fiberglass as well. 100+ grand and fiberglass to worry about was not what we wanted. The are two different animals and really can't be compared IMO.

2Driver
06-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Powder coated tunes looked different :notam: . Wonder how the paint holds after a dock bump or beaching?
Over 2 Billion served :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347Xtreme11752.jpg

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 04:01 PM
i think i would do the polished toons, personally. we will have to wait and see how they turn out.

pleasantcat
06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
PLEASENTCAT........
yes billy i get the subtle hint. i would have to unload the ao to get that daytona then start the engine build all over. i need to find a 30 that the owner pulled the power out.

TCHB
06-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Again we love our Bennington Tripple Toon. There are a lot of nice tripple toons on the market and the power options are many. Here is a picture of our boathttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1592Bennington_016.jpg

Eliminator 4 Life
06-22-2006, 04:26 PM
E4L... i left you a comment on what engine package would make a JC move at 50+mph. i am intersted to know. playcraft seems to have the "performance" (if you can call it that) side of the pontoon market. if JC had something comparable the would make things interesting... Thanks.
Sorry I never got the message. The JC that goes 50 mph is a 246 with a 5.7 we have one in stock. It has 320 horsepower.

Havasu Cig
06-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Powder coated tunes looked different :notam: . Wonder how the paint holds after a dock bump or beaching?
Over 2 Billion served :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347Xtreme11752.jpg
We put Sharkshide on our's. Gives it a brushed aluminum look and really cuts down on the maintenance. Just wipe off the water spots and you are good to go.

TCHB
06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
I coated mine over a year ago and they still look great. Sharkhide

Todd969
06-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry I never got the message. The JC that goes 50 mph is a 246 with a 5.7 we have one in stock. It has 320 horsepower.
Huh? a 5.7 at 320hp? The MAG is a 5.7 at 300hp. Sure it isn't a 6.2?

Seadog
06-22-2006, 05:54 PM
The Volvo 5.7 is rated at 320.

wildbillg
06-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Huh? a 5.7 at 320hp? The MAG is a 5.7 at 300hp. Sure it isn't a 6.2?
Yup the volvo is rated at 320 hp

Todd969
06-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Yup the volvo is rated at 320 hp
Thanks, but how does 20hp and 2' shorter go 10mph faster?

RAMROD
06-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Twin 300's on a pontoon is insane.
He probably has a blown 502 in his cavalier.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
He said that playcraft held the world record in a pontoon at 81 mph!!!! Cool!

wildbillg
06-22-2006, 07:01 PM
It dosent..............
just under the RIGHT conditions it might go a little faster
the longer boat gives you MORE planing surface and is actually a better ride too..
Some sales people may tell you what you want to hear .. :boxed: :boxed:

shadow
06-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Todd you know as well as i do whatever they tell you.You can figure 5mph-20mph less.
The ones you see parked on street corners around town H20 pontoons i think was the model with a 115 the guy was trying to tell me it did 50mph.
I hung up the phone on him.

wildbillg
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Todd you know as well as i do whatever they tell you.You can figure 5mph-20mph less.
The ones you see parked on street corners around town H20 pontoons i think was the model with a 115 the guy was trying to tell me it did 50mph.
good for you thst guy is an ASS

Todd969
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
That's what i'm saying. When we looked at the LA boat show, Bill said low 40's was realistic. When we test drove in April 3/4 fuel and Bills Coast Gaurd bag. I saw 38/39mph at about 4000 to 4200 rpm. I want somebody to test a Playcraft or other 26/27' under real life conditions and tell me what it does.

wildbillg
06-22-2006, 07:18 PM
That's what i'm saying. When we looked at the LA boat show, Bill said low 40's was realistic. When we test drove in April 3/4 fuel and Bills Coast Gaurd bag. I saw 38/39mph at about 4000 to 4200 rpm. I want somebody to test a Playcraft or other 26/27' under real life conditions and tell me what it does.
Have I lied to you
YET?
:cool:

Todd969
06-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Have I lied to you
YET?
Nope, that's why we continue to buy from the boat brokers.

hipcash
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
The boat I test drove in less then ideal conditions ( no chop on the water at all ) saw 55 mph with 4 people and 100 gallons of gas. I've spoke to other people with a 350 mag and they said 48 on GPS. The turning ability was unreal also. I'll let you know the real speed #'s in a couple of weeks when mine comes in

hipcash
06-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Todd I really like your JC but some of custom options on the Playcraft worked out better for me

Warlockjer
06-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Not to start anything, but I really don't see 48 plus happening with a 350 mag. I hope for you it is true tho......... :) :)

shadow
06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
good for you thst guy is an ASS
Bill iknow who he is,just didn't want to mention it here & I agree.

Todd969
06-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Todd I really like your JC but some of custom options on the Playcraft worked out better for me
Thanks! That is one advantage of the Playcraft, custom designed interior. Again, I stand behind my quote " we got what worked for us ". I'm sure you'll love yours. Looking forward to seeing you next month.

hipcash
06-22-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm getting a 496. I've spoken with other Playcraft owners with the 350 mag and thats what they told me.

TCHB
06-22-2006, 07:52 PM
My Bennington with a 225 Honda on the back runs at 50MPH in most water conditions.

hipcash
06-22-2006, 07:55 PM
We will be there the 4th on Markie Marks 25 Shockwave. My place is in the Beachcomber so we will be at Site Six for the after hours party :D

TCHB
06-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Here is the playcraft with 496 data
Top Speed 55.1 mph
Db-a @ Idle 65
Fuel @ 3000 31 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder Yes
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
800 4.1 mph 2.8 gph 65
1000 6.3 mph 5.5 gph 69
1500 11.5 mph 14.8 gph 77.5
2000 19.8 mph 14.5 gph 80.5
2500 26.2 mph 19.5 gph 78
3000 33.7 mph 31 gph 81.5
3500 38.8 mph 40 gph 88
4000 46.8 mph 51 gph 89.5
4500 53.3 mph 64 gph 90.5
4800 55.1 mph 65 gph 93
Boat Specs
LOA 27’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design Triple Toon
Dry Weight 3950 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Fuel Capacity 103 Gallons
Engine & Propeller
Engine MerCruiser 496 HO
Cylinder Type V-8
Displacement/HP 496ci/425hp
Lower Unit Gear Ratio Bravo 3 1:81
Propeller 24 Pitch

TCHB
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Here is another boat with a outboard on the back.
Actually, one of the few things we can ding Manitou for also happens to be one of its strengths—a long, impressive run-sheet of standard features. Although a boarding ladder is available as an option, we’d like to see it make the list.
Test Stats
Top Speed 49.5 mph
Db-a @ Idle 60
Fuel @ 3000 1.1 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder No
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
600 2.25 mph N/A 60
1000 4.6 mph N/A 68.5
1500 6.6 mph N/A 67.5
2000 9.7 mph N/A 70
2500 15.6 mph N/A 72
3000 21.1 mph N/A 74
3500 25.3 mph N/A 79
4000 28.5 mph N/A 82
4500 36 mph N/A 83.5
5000 42 mph N/A 87.5
5500 48 mph N/A 91
5800 49.5 mph N/A 91.5
Boat Specs
LOA 24’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design 3 Pontoons
Dry Weight 2715 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Fuel Capacity 28 Gallons
Engine & Propeller
Engine Evinrude 225 E-TEC
Cylinder Type V-6
Displacement/HP 200ci/200hp
Lower Unit Gear Ratio 1.85:1
Propeller 19 Pitch
Standard Features
Locking rod and tackle box, two live wells, Lowrance M56 with map, 28-gallon built-in fuel tank, trolling rod holders, Sony Xplod CD player with four speakers, fiberglass helm, Sunbrella bimini top.
Options on Test Boat
373 SHP package that includes a 27-inch center pontoon, lifting strakes, under skinning and hydraulic steering. Chaise privacy station, mooring cover, Burl steering wheel.
Prices
Base Retail w/ Standard Features $27,910
(Boat and Motor)
Price As Tested $32,145
(Boat and Motor

hipcash
06-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I wonder how accurate those speed #'s are. The Playcraft seems about right but the other one seems pretty fast for a 200hp outboard. Does your boat see 50 on GPS or the speedo?

Eliminator 4 Life
06-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Have I lied to you
YET?
I havent lied yet either :mad:

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 09:15 PM
thanks for the response. i would need a bigger model. i will have to ride on a big block tooner and see what that is like. speeds look to be in the mid 50's. not bad.

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Here is the playcraft with 496 data
Top Speed 55.1 mph
Db-a @ Idle 65
Fuel @ 3000 31 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder Yes
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
800 4.1 mph 2.8 gph 65
1000 6.3 mph 5.5 gph 69
1500 11.5 mph 14.8 gph 77.5
2000 19.8 mph 14.5 gph 80.5
2500 26.2 mph 19.5 gph 78
3000 33.7 mph 31 gph 81.5
3500 38.8 mph 40 gph 88
4000 46.8 mph 51 gph 89.5
4500 53.3 mph 64 gph 90.5
4800 55.1 mph 65 gph 93
Boat Specs
LOA 27’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design Triple Toon
Dry Weight 3950 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Fuel Capacity 103 Gallons
Engine & Propeller
Engine MerCruiser 496 HO
Cylinder Type V-8
Displacement/HP 496ci/425hp
Lower Unit Gear Ratio Bravo 3 1:81
Propeller 24 Pitch
where did you find these specs?

Eliminator 4 Life
06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
thanks for the response. i would need a bigger model. i will have to ride on a big block tooner and see what that is like. speeds look to be in the mid 50's. not bad.
Well I advise you to go ride on all the other ones first cause once you ride on the JC this will be the last one you ride on. And they do make a 266 and even a 30 :)

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Test Stats
Top Speed 49.5 mph
Db-a @ Idle 60
Fuel @ 3000 1.1 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder No
the 496 HO was 31 gph
and it is only ~6 mph faster.
that is a huge selling point for the outboard.

Bling Bling
06-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey dip shit!!! Can you say Concept. You can lead the dog to the water bowl, but ya can't make him drink it. :D

Hal
06-22-2006, 09:51 PM
deleted

Troubles No More
06-23-2006, 06:22 AM
I have a question about HP/Performance Estimate for O/B compare to I/O.
“JC pontoon has a MerCruiser or Volvo I/O maximum power of 320 hp or a maximum 275 hp on the outboard version”
If you get the largest HP in the I/O or the O/B in the same size boat, Is the performance the same???

caroftheweek
06-23-2006, 06:32 AM
good question. Bling would you like to chime in on this one? :rolleyes:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey dip shit!!! Can you say Concept. You can lead the dog to the water bowl, but ya can't make him drink it. :D
Too much$$$$$$ Oh ya, You can always salt his food first!!!

Havasu Cig
06-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Not to start anything, but I really don't see 48 plus happening with a 350 mag. I hope for you it is true tho......... :) :)
It's true, I test drove both the 26 Playcraft and my 28 Bennington on the same day (fall with cool temps) and saw about that speed with the Playcraft. My Bennington ran 45.

KoolPop
06-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Playcraft powertoon is the only way to go! Around 50 mph with the 350 mag and bravo 3. I've owned 1 and have another on order, due in July. Lots of custom options. You can design your boat the way you like it. Shimmer Marine in Lake Havasu is the dealer, they're on London Bridge road right at windsor launch ramp.

waterboy
06-23-2006, 07:55 PM
I have a playcraft 26' with a 350 mag, 50 mph lots of room, we also have the polished toons we get compliments all the time how good they look, plus shimmer marine in havasu are the best to deal with. that is my experienced opinion... :) :)

MOBrien
07-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Seems to be a hot topic and we're no different with our thoughts....the practicality of a toon is very intriguing especially if they're running around 50mph. With the litt'lins and many boatless friends it seems like the way to go for us too. Surprising that nobody has mentioned the Odyssey toons though. Found them Here (http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=od700&nav=marine&choice=brochure) along with the South Bay's Here (http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=sblux&nav=marine&choice=brochure)
I do like the looks of the molded front/rear on the JC's, The interiors of the Evolution Power Boats along with the acrylic coated exteriors, the Bennington's and the one's linked above.
Shiat, here we go again....how to choose? Can't seem to find the right info on any of their sites.....who offers the 275 Verado or the 300xs on these things? Want to get away from the fuel eating I/O's for now. When the kiddies are older, we'll get back to performance boating and hopefully just keep the toon & have both.
E4L -- call me!

TCHB
07-11-2006, 01:36 PM
There are some good choices out there in the performance toons just like the glass boats. I went with the outboard for performance, reliability and easy service.

Kilrtoy
07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I'll let you know this week...

Todd969
07-11-2006, 01:51 PM
I'll let you know this week...
Shimmer is advertising in the white sheet that they have a 2600 & 2700 for immediate delivery. Any truth to that?

TCHB
07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Love the Bennington and would no go back.
Outboard Honda 225 or Mercury 275
Manatou, Bennington, Playcraft, JC and I am sure there is others.

kanedog
07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Todd969- I had the exact same when I test drove the jc 266 w/350 mag. 38-39mph 4200 rpm. Also drove the 266 w/225 honda ob, a dissappointing 36mph.
Salesman and other people say low to mid 40's w/350. Some jackasses even say 50 mph. I bought a 266 jc w/350 and have never seen 40 mph yet. Love the boat and its quality. I guess I got a dud motor or someone is lying.

Todd969
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Todd969- I had the exact same when I test drove the jc 266 w/350 mag. 38-39mph 4200 rpm. Also drove the 266 w/225 honda ob, a dissappointing 36mph.
Salesman and other people say low to mid 40's w/350. Some jackasses even say 50 mph. I bought a 266 jc w/350 and have never seen 40 mph yet. Love the boat and its quality. I guess I got a dud motor or someone is lying.
You know the heat is going to play a part in it. I would say the temp was low 80's when I tested it. I'm very satisfied with my 30mph cruiser.

Eliminator 4 Life
07-11-2006, 02:58 PM
word on the street is in 07 the JC will have a 496 :)

TCHB
07-11-2006, 03:27 PM
The JC seems to ride real deep in the water. I do not think they have lifting strakes???

rlj676
07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Has anyone checked these out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASSIVE-34-Evolution-Power-Boat-PARTY-225hp-34-Deck_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63684QQihZ011QQite mZ320005780695
Probably not too fast, but I love this guy's marketing department.

squirt'nmyload
07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
if the chicks come with