PDA

View Full Version : Durmax puff question...

me4drvr
06-21-2006, 09:19 AM
So I bought the programmer for my HD and it wakes the truck up night and day, 0-80 in a blink. Not too bad for 38" tires... anyway, what's the fine if a cop pulls you over for "puffing" black smoke RBP style??

Mrs. casean
06-21-2006, 09:23 AM
So I bought the programmer for my HD and it wakes the truck up night and day, 0-80 in a blink. Not too bad for 38" tires... anyway, what's the fine if a cop pulls you over for "puffing" black smoke RBP style??
Don't quote me on it, but I've heard that there is no fine, it's diesel so there's no smog fine or anything they can do... but maybe I've been told wrong? I hope so because I puffed pretty good this morning passing some jackass blocking my lane :crossx:

me4drvr
06-21-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm a big fan of the "puff" especially right into the tuner that can't drive worth a dam, with the pep boys lowering kit, one spare tire cus they can't afford to replace it and sounding like me after a good gassy meal... I hate those jackholes!! But like to fill their car up with fresh diesel, cus lord knows they can't afford to run the a/c either....

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2006, 09:36 AM
You are not allowed to blow out black smoke. I know on comm'l trucks its $$$$$. I would guess that it will be $$$ + going too some type of referee station to have it checked... Then again it might be more then just a Infraction.( since you messed with your truck)

Mrs. casean
06-21-2006, 09:37 AM
You are not allowed to blow out black smoke. I know on comm'l trucks its $$$$$. I would guess that it will be $$$ + going too some type of referee station to have it checked... Then again it might be more then just a Infraction.( since you messed with your truck)
I've been told otherwise, so like I said... don't quote me :D

EmpirE231
06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
I hope there's no fine? my stock 05 duramax blows out a bit of smoke when I punch it! and cant wait to get the programmer and so on for a lil more smoke :crossx: .... when you get the full back exhaust.. that cuts out the cat? does it smoke less?

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2006, 09:54 AM
I hope there's no fine? my stock 05 duramax blows out a bit of smoke when I punch it! and cant wait to get the programmer and so on for a lil more smoke :crossx: .... when you get the full back exhaust.. that cuts out the cat? does it smoke less?
cutting out the cat is a not a fine its a crime. If your truck came with one you MUST run one.

me4drvr
06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I didn't think diesel had cats, I thought they just had a resonator box... I did the RBP turbo back system, so whatever that entails is what it is, all I know is it hauls and puffs :crossx:

EmpirE231
06-21-2006, 10:19 AM
I didn't think diesel had cats, I thought they just had a resonator box... I did the RBP turbo back system, so whatever that entails is what it is, all I know is it hauls and puffs :crossx:
Sweeeeeeeeet :)

hoolign
06-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Did you upgrade your Air intake system? They smoke less if they can get enough air to mix with the extra fuel that is given to them by to the programmer.

Mrs. casean
06-21-2006, 10:36 AM
all I know is it hauls and puffs :crossx:
Ditto :rollside: Sean would know what we did, something w/ RBP is all I know and that it hauls ass... we have the edge and it smokes good on #3, but I have to drive on #1 every day of the week so it only smokes when it's warmed up and I punch it :D I love passing everyone up the little hill I go up though from the light :D

JB in so cal
06-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Ditto :rollside: Sean would know what we did, something w/ RBP is all I know and that it hauls ass... we have the edge and it smokes good on #3, but I have to drive on #1 every day of the week so it only smokes when it's warmed up and I punch it :D I love passing everyone up the little hill I go up though from the light :D
Freakin' Danica Patrick over here :) :)

Mrs. casean
06-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Freakin' Danica Patrick over here :) :)
sshhhhhh... don't tell Sean :p

me4drvr
06-21-2006, 11:02 AM
From what I understand the intake for the '06 isn't refined just yet, so I'll wait on that. I went with the BullyDog programmable unit... still have to wait for the in-cab switch though. Have to plug it in each time I tow and tune it down.

laveydayz
06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
My buddy from Nevada has a powerstroke that did not come with a cat in Nevada. He was down here in So Cal and got popped by the CHP. He tried to fight it and they claimed regardless of the state the truck was registered in, it has to comply with Cali laws. Sounded like BS but he ended up paying $500 or $600 in fines.

H2oracer
06-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Yellow boat is correct. Besides a ticket I would be worried about chokeing off the catyltic converter with all that smoke. I"ve seen it done on commercial trucks and once that happens have fun clearing them out. You would be amazed at what information the ECM stores on these trucks . Just because you take out the CHIP before you go to the dealer doesn't mean the records of your engines history are erased. A smart tech will easily spot one that has been tampered with. It could void your warranty.

ChumpChange
06-21-2006, 11:42 AM
For my old truck, I took off the cat and had a cat shell welded around my pipe. That way, if somebody looks under the truck, they'll technically 'see' a cat.

LHC30Victory
06-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Here are two Cal Veh Code sections that apply to the "Smoke" question. A simple "Puff of Smoke" should not invoke these sections but, as most things, they are subject to the interpretation of the officer and ultimately, the judge.
27153. No motor vehicle shall be operated in a manner resulting in
the escape of excessive smoke, flame, gas, oil, or fuel residue.
The provisions of this section apply to motor vehicles of the
United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal
law.
27153.5. (a) No motor vehicle first sold or registered as a new
motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the
atmosphere at elevation of less than 4,000 feet any air contaminant
for a period of more than 10 seconds which is:
(1) As dark or darker in shade as that designated as No. 1 on the
Ringelmann Chart, as published by the United States Bureau of Mines,
or
(2) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree
equal to or greater than does smoke described in paragraph (1) of
this subdivision.
(b) No motor vehicle first sold or registered prior to January 1,
1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevation of less than
4,000 feet any air contaminant for a period of more than 10 seconds
which is:
(1) As dark or darker in shade than that designated as No. 2 on
the Ringelmann Chart, as published by the United States Bureau of
Mines, or
(2) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree
equal to or greater than does smoke described in paragraph (1) of
this subdivision.
(c) The provisions of this section apply to motor vehicles of the
United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal
law.

laveydayz
06-21-2006, 11:54 AM
For my old truck, I took off the cat and had a cat shell welded around my pipe. That way, if somebody looks under the truck, they'll technically 'see' a cat.Thats a good idea as they normally just do a visual and if they see that your good!

Froggystyle
06-21-2006, 02:32 PM
For my old truck, I took off the cat and had a cat shell welded around my pipe. That way, if somebody looks under the truck, they'll technically 'see' a cat.
I'm not exactly a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but why not run a cat? I have NEVER seen a performance gain from not running one, and they are truly one of the only things in the entire smog system that do anything.
Hell, I am putting them in our boats I think so highly of them. No power loss, all clean gain.

Legal Chemistry
06-21-2006, 02:56 PM
no cats on your duramax...

caroftheweek
06-21-2006, 03:15 PM
the only year the duramax did not have a cat in CA was 2001. 2002-current have cats.

me4drvr
06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
I didn't intetionally pull the cat, like I said above, I bought the RBP turbo back system, and whether they retain the cat or not... I have no idea, deisel is foreign to me, so I wouldn't know what to look for. Trust me, I am no treet hugger either, but I still get pissed at the 2 stoke PWC crappers and blatent old car POS smokers. 1-800-CUT-SMOG to report the beat up things. Regardless, the question was the smoke legality..

phebus
06-21-2006, 03:30 PM
The reason people eliminate the cat is because the diameter of the stock exhaust is less desirable then a larger diameter free flowing system.

HMF'er
06-21-2006, 09:47 PM
You mentioned a programmer, which changes the ignition. The ignition is considered a part of the emissions system. Although diesels are not yet required to pass an emissions test, California law still prohibits modifying a vehicle's emission system. I think that law applies to diesels as well, FYI.

Burn Out
06-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Try to find a station that sells BioDiesel! I know that there is no black smoke from the exhaust when its used. Check out a Willie Nelson Truck Stop!
I'm here in the midwest and they have a few pumps carrying the biodiesel. We have used it in our tractors and works great and it does cut down on the smoke pollution! Also easier to start in the wintertime, but that shouldn't be a problem for you guys on the west coast! :)

Rayson18LP
06-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Why dont you guys try running a little nicer chip like and edge juice module with an attitude monitor where you can adjust the amount of smoke on the fly!! just my two cents

98 Vector 21
06-22-2006, 06:04 PM
I dont look at the puff...I hardley punch it when cops are around...05 crewcab with The Edge installed....

84camaro
06-22-2006, 07:00 PM
my brother has a 05 with the edge juice with attitude cold air intake and four inch stainless turbo back. that thing at a 30mph roll you will get almost as much smoke off the tires as the exhaust. his dumps over the axle it is not as noticible that way. It is not really called a cat it is more of a soot collector is what the dealler called it.