PDA

View Full Version : What kind of rubrail did you choose on your new boat?

beaverretriever
06-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Exposed screw type (eg stainless) or the kind with the rubber rail insert inside the aluminum rail that covers the screws?
Looks like most of the custom boats are running the rubber insert kind for a cleaner look. That seems like it would be the way to go considering you can change just the rubber out if it gets old looking.
What is better?

Cruzzze
06-21-2006, 02:48 PM
For my 2 cents, I just did the white powder coated alum and white rub rail insert, to me it looks cleaner and if you ding the rubber, replace it for about $1 a foot.....

Froggystyle
06-21-2006, 03:00 PM
We chose the countersunk stainless because it looks so clean, classy and expensive. It really compliments the boat big time, and everything else looked JV...

Classic Daycruiser
06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Http://www.rubrails.com

dicudmore
06-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Exposed screw type (eg stainless) or the kind with the rubber rail insert inside the aluminum rail that covers the screws?
Looks like most of the custom boats are running the rubber insert kind for a cleaner look. That seems like it would be the way to go considering you can change just the rubber out if it gets old looking.
What is better?
standard "white" type rub-rail with exposed screws...
painted to match the gel-coat
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h101/budmeyser/havasue001.jpg

Hotcobra270
06-21-2006, 05:24 PM
rubber rail.. looks cleaner overall I think..
No ugly screws showing

No Name
06-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I like the stainless type, but I would be to worried about it getting focked up in a tie up. I have the rubber and it nice because you don’t have to worry about it so much and It’s cheaper to replace when it does get trashed.

cola
06-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Cap it !!! :cool:

beaverretriever
06-21-2006, 08:49 PM
It seems like the aluminum or stainless with the rubber insert seems like the way to go. If if ever gets beat up, all you need to do is replace the rubber.
I like the look of the painted rail like the blue and maroon boat but I would tend to think it would get beat up real quick.
I ordered a boat and was just wondering.

No Name
06-21-2006, 09:06 PM
What make did you go with?

grads2112
06-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Just cap it then you won't have a rub rail.

vmjtc3
06-21-2006, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=beaverretriever]It seems like the aluminum or stainless with the rubber insert seems like the way to go. If if ever gets beat up, all you need to do is replace the rubber.
I like the look of the painted rail like the blue and maroon boat but I would tend to think it would get beat up real quick.
If you pay the kinda money Dan did for that boat I doubt it would even have a scratch on it let alone have it get beat up.......

dicudmore
06-21-2006, 09:16 PM
It seems like the aluminum or stainless with the rubber insert seems like the way to go. If if ever gets beat up, all you need to do is replace the rubber.
just drive carefully :cool:
actually my rail does have a nick in it, and I don't know from what...its on the transom.
To be honest it would help a lot if we knew what the rest of your boat was going to look like before we could offer rub-rail advice...depends on your gel-coat, etc.
For instance some boats are cool with a white rail, some stainless, some like mine, if it were not painted the boat would not look as nice...I've seen SEVERAL boats the past few weekends that would look WAY better if they had matching rub rails

MR HARLEY
06-22-2006, 07:44 AM
We capped ours.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/RYLEND/3.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/RYLEND/Capp2.jpg

phebus
06-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Not all boats look good capped, nor can a lot of companies do a good job capping.
DCB and Eliminator stand out as two companies that do it well.

Dave C
06-22-2006, 07:51 AM
the capped rail looks much cleaner but its easier to repair the other type of rail especially if you tie up alot and it gets abused.

Froggystyle
06-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Rub rails shouldn't get abused. You should NEVER count on your rub rail to do what it says it does.
Rub rails are there for one reason... cover your parting line. None of the rails you see on the boats in this forum are rated for any kind of abuse. Real rub rails have giant bumpers built in, are through bolted and either have a big rubber insert (2" thick) or rope in the center. Those are designed to come alongside without fenders to protect.
All of our boats need fenders. With fenders, the rubrail is purely decorative. Worry more about what fenders to get from a protection standpoint and let your decision to do the rubrail be what it is... purely cosmetic.
Keep in mind, most companies don't do through-bolts because they are used to riveting the rubrail on. Whenever you have a "hide-em" rail with a rubber insert, you will likely get rivets which are decidedly not a good way to hold a rub rail on.
Going with an exposed screw will ensure the rub rail is through-bolted to the boat. Just a tip...

Dave C
06-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Yes, SHOULDN'T but unfortunately DOES... :cry: :cry: Plus those suckers get ripped out too unless they are bolted. No fault of our own.
maybe it has something to do with the 30 mph wind :sqeyes:we boat with on a "regular basis"...... ;) ;) god I love norcal sometimes :yuk:
Rub rails shouldn't get abused.

Froggystyle
06-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Yes SHOULDN'T but unfortunately DOES... :cry: :cry:
Stainless holds up a lot better than aluminum and plastic.... Just a thought.

Dave C
06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
then those inconsiderate fawks that blast through the 5 mph zone.... :mad: :mad:
stainless looks like a good idea. and through bolted :)
Stainless holds up a lot better than aluminum and plastic.... Just a thought.

castone001
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Aluminum blue with blue rubber to match it all. God I hope I don't actually ever RUB against anything!

Kilrtoy
06-22-2006, 11:52 AM
capped, But what kinda boat are you buying

riverbound
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
When mine was built it had the insert type. but we had a couple things redone and changed it over to the exposed screw type. It looks better now IMO
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14758&stc=1

beaverretriever
06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Im assuming the capped is the rail with the rubber insert? That is what I ordered, but was wondering if there is better?
Thanks for all the help you guys. Lots of good info. :)
For what kind of boat I got; Im really not prepared to get beat to death by you guys over it. :( I know how this place is and I dont really feel like explaining myself in a 12 page thread. LOL
All I have to say is all the builders I talked too couldnt have been nicer, given me more time or been more helpful. Not one of them bashed the others products. All of them gave me good and bad of all makes and models including their own. I did at least a heavy 2 months of looking though. I will post pix when it is finished.
Again thanks for all the good info.