PDA

View Full Version : Help my power steering is out!

Perfect Mixer
06-21-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't have any power steering and everything looks to be hooked up. I haven't had any assist since I took the delivery and they didn't fix it when I had it in a couple of weeks ago. I'm a K.I.S.S. (keep it simple) type of guy and want to know first off if the lines are hooked up correctly before I try and fit a pressure gauge on it. Heres a photo:
http://images17.fotki.com/v14/photos/5/517107/1891257/powersteering-vi.jpg?500375
The pressure line (line in) is the one closest to the stern (top of photo), is this correct? I know I've got a warranty on the boat, but it's in my driveway and we are headed to Shasta this weekend. Any suggestions?

sdpm
06-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Yes the male fitting closest to the transom is the pressure side. A couple things. First look over to the right of those fittings where the steering cable go's through. See the 2 flat areas on that round tube, they need to be facing straight up and down. Loosen the big nut to the left where the steering cable attaches to that tube then put a wrench on those flat areas and hold them stright up and down while tightening the steering cable nut. Make sure that the cable nut is tight. Grab the black plastic on the cable and make sure there is no play back and forth. If this does not help, while the engine is running, have someone push on the outdrive to put some resistance on it to activate the assist. Another way to do it is by pushing or pulling on the steering cable while turning the wheel with the engine running. The steering must feel resistance for it to work. If it works doing this, then your problem is your steering cable is to free. I have found a few boats with this problem. The new flat rack steering systems do not have enough resistance in them to activate the control valve. The rotarys with the No Feed Back system work great. Good luck.

Perfect Mixer
06-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Well I straightend up that piece and there still isn't any change. I forgot to mention that I do have a little assist to the left, and none to the right. The steering cable looks to be free of kinks. Could it be a bad ram?

C-2
06-21-2006, 09:01 PM
You should pose this question on OSO (Offshoreonly.com) in the tech section. I'm sure you'll get an answer :)

beyondhelpin
06-21-2006, 09:13 PM
If the steering cable is stiff it will feel just like the power steering is out. If it is the cable or pump either way you are going to have to take in for warranty work. Sorry if thats not the answer you wanted.