PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience bringing a new invention to market??

DEMOMAN
06-21-2006, 08:17 PM
My wife has recently patented a pretty cool invention. I was wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions about how to get a new product to market such as Target, Wal-mart etc.

NOTALENT
06-21-2006, 08:22 PM
they have that t.v show on about the next biggest invention.....all I know is it takes alot of money and time. Alot of headaches, failures, and 2nd home loans....
but in the end if you got something the people want...you can be the next bill gates.... :rollside:
Good luck to you two...hope it works out.

Magic34
06-21-2006, 08:25 PM
You have a couple of options.... It helps if you know some buyers for those places, but a large stroe isn't your best start.
In my opinion, you need to start slow at first, make sure you get all the bugs worked out of the product and production, and ramp up with a ton of money to go after those large stores you listed. Wal-Mart and Target will put a huge strain on your production even with a minimum order.
The other option is to sell the idea to another company that can produce it and you get a royalty from each part made under the patent.

DEMOMAN
06-21-2006, 08:26 PM
It sure would be nice to skip straight to the Bill Gates part!!! :rollside:

3 daytona`s
06-21-2006, 08:31 PM
You`ll have to spend a lot of money to go through the B.S. and yes it takes an attorney who is very knowledgable in patents or you will really waste money.I have a great one and would love someone to help me this is a winner.Problem is the money with all the hoops.

DEMOMAN
06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
We already have a working prototype and a manufacturer in China. We are just not sure where to go from here.

NOTALENT
06-21-2006, 08:36 PM
We already have a working prototype and a manufacturer in China. We are just not sure where to go from here.
Do you already have the patent??? If so what is this invention?? (if not no need to give me a new idea) :crossx: I would maybe try to get an invstor or sell the idea to help you cover the costs of whats to come. Gonna need to do alot of marketing.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Buyers should be contacted first.
Wall Mart is brutal.
If you're in the OC, and it's a tourist item kinda idea, then buyers for the amusement parks are approachable,, especially Knotts.
QVC has it's 50 great inventions week every year, you can contact them too.
They have a minimum amount you have to guarantee that you can supply, and it has to be unique.
A patent applied for is the best protection,, even better than a patent itself or even patent pending.
If it's worth it's salt,, get it patented.
Earl McCaskill, a LAFD fireman, got a patent on a removeable section of a matress to accomodate a bedpan hospital bed. He also got one on a tire bead setter,,, campfire marshmellow stick,, all kinds of stuff he makes royalties on.
Get it on paper and legally yours.
The head of the US patent office in 1899 said: "Anything that can be invented,, has been invented".
If ya watch the TV show: "Little People Big World", the dad invents and markets all kinds of simple and highly technical stuff.
He gets out on foot and crutches and sells it to buyers, retail and hotel chains,, amusement parks, hospital chains and supply companies,,, tons and tons of avenues to make lettuce.

SHOTKALLIN
06-21-2006, 08:40 PM
If all the work is done market it yourself. Start with a web site, and work your way up to infomercial. Hit the County Fair curcuit. If its gonna hit, then it will be a hit. If it flops then back to the drawing board. I would think that the hard part is getting it MFG.
Just my .02

Trailer Park Casanova
06-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Ryan, the box/slide anchor guy in LHC,, was allowed to write his own patent.
He gladly tells the story.
he patented the 4 sided and 5 sided box anchor.
The three sided anchor (Dana Style) was already covered under a Swedish patent
He gets out to regattas and tradeshows, boatshows and gives it his all.
Plus the website.
Sells hundreds of them each month.

Magic34
06-21-2006, 08:47 PM
You really need to talk to a buyer for the retail establishments for some simple advice then.
Outside of all of your marketing material (labels, packaging, website, co-op advertising budget, etc) you need to know how much $$ you will need to supply the demand of the dealers/stores that you would like to sell at.
Is your product consumable and will people come back to buy more frequent, or it is a 1 time sale? If only a 1 time deal, or not too often, then your production #'s will be lower.
You would be better off finding a group of regional stores if your budget is limited and build some demand in the market for your product.

MagicMtnDan
06-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Patent, patent, patent!
Non-disclosure agreements! Don't show/share your idea with anyone unless you have an NDA in place and even then don't do it.
Get the product perfected. Start making it and selling it. Get some momentum built up first then talk to store buyers about them selling it.
One more piece of advice: sell as many as you can as quickly as you can. If it can be copied it will be copied in China and/or elsewhere and you could end up seeing your product made by someone else on the store shelves and on TV. :skull:

Magic34
06-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Ryan, the box/slide anchor guy in LHC,, was allowed to write his own patent.
He gladly tells the story.
he patented the 4 sided and 5 sided box anchor.
The three sided anchor (Dana Style) was already covered under a Swedish patent
He gets out to regattas and tradeshows, boatshows and gives it his all.
Plus the website.
Sells hundreds of them each month.
This guy hustles it hard too. He works damn hard from what I have seen.

Magic34
06-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Patent, patent, patent!
Non-disclosure agreements! Don't show/share your idea with anyone unless you have an NDA in place and even then don't do it.
Get the product perfected. Start making it and selling it. Get some momentum built up first then talk to store buyers about them selling it.
One more piece of advice: sell as many as you can as quickly as you can. If it can be copied it will be copied in China and/or elsewhere and you could end up seeing your product made by someone else on the store shelves and on TV. :skull:
Yes, make sure your patent attorney did a really good job on the application process. You should have had not only the product itself with a patent, but it needs to cover the function of that patent as well.
My buddy has the patent on all the wakeboard rack for the towers, etc. Regardless if a different design, he gets $x for each one that is sold because of the function of holding a wakeboard on a tower.

DEMOMAN
06-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys for your suggestions. We have a utility patent. Just looking for the best way to get a look from retailers.

OGShocker
06-21-2006, 08:56 PM
My wife has recently patented a pretty cool invention. I was wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions about how to get a new product to market such as Target, Wal-mart etc.
Talk to Froggy's patent attorney. I am out of town or I'd give you the number.

blown dough
06-22-2006, 06:31 AM
We have several patented items and you need to start with the mom and pop shops. Also you need to hit hard places like trade shows, home shows or like the vendor sections at the Fairs. You need to put it out there so people know about it and if its that good someone may just approach you.