PDA

View Full Version : OK, really need your help on new boat....

Cruzzze
06-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Really would like to hear everyones REAL opinions on a new boat? Am looking at a 27' to 30', Bowrider, what brand do you all think? And cat vs. V, I've been looking at Ultra, Elim, Magic, LC....really would like your opinions and help. Also, can I get away with 1 motor or do I really need 2? What extras? Thanks so much in advance...... :argue: :rollside:

Ziggy
06-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Get whatever makes you happy...to hell with what everyone else thinks.
I'm perfectly happy with my potato chip boat

hotlavey
06-22-2006, 07:02 AM
If you decide on a closed deck my Lavey 2750 is for sale.
If not, good luck with your search. There are a lot of fine boats around and a lot of knowledgeable folks here to advise you.
Tom

burtandnancy
06-22-2006, 07:06 AM
It also depends on where you boat and what kind of boating you do. If you like to do a lot of water skiing, one boat is better, if your kids wake/board, than another may be good. If you want to do overnighters, another style would work better. What are your boating habits going to be?

Cruzzze
06-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Good question? Really, we have a 25' Elim Eagle closed bow, and it does ok for the general purpose boat, ski, tube, but I would like to have a bigger boat, a newer boat and a faster boat. Most of the time it will be for zippin' around the lakes and rivers, and lately it seems it's been just a party boat against the beach area's. My buddy has a 30' Elim eagle and it's pretty big for skiing behind really......but, it's sure nice at Powell..... :cool:

blown dough
06-22-2006, 07:15 AM
DCB, once you go cat you will never go back!!!!!!!!!

Cruzzze
06-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Why a cat? Someone told me they ride rougher in the water, to be honest, mine rides alittle rough anyway, I sure like the looks of the cat..... :)

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
I got in a friends 30' Advantage Victory ( I think it came out in HB magazine) and really like everything about it, I crawled all over that boat and like everything I saw. It is a midcabin open bow with dual 496 HO's, it made me want to start saving for my next boat.

Cruzzze
06-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Ruiz, I really like your boat, have seen it on here plenty of times, and I kinda was leaning that way, obviously I haven't seen it in person, but really like the look of that........nice :cool:

NOTALENT
06-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Dana has a new 27ft coming out...Very awesome boats that handle great. Great pricing and rigged right...Thats my next boat. If you need more infor contact Atomikittn (Bobby) Im sure he will chime in hear.

ChumpChange
06-22-2006, 07:30 AM
There is so much to think about when buying a boat that the only person who knows what they want is YOU. What will you do with the boat. I wouldn't want anything bigger than my 27 footer if I wanted to wakeboard. The speed is too slow to get on plane for some people unless I have extra people in the bow. I'd rather board behind my buddy's 21' Hallet.
Of course, seeing as it is usually just my wife and I on the boat and we like to run up and down the river for lunch stops, my boat has been perfect for me.
Now that I'm looking to leave the river and boat in the big blue, I'm looking at buying an even bigger boat with a closed bow.
A boat needs to fit your lifestyle. The size that you are in now or just a little bigger(like my 27) gives you the best of all worlds. Fast, Stable, Hanles chop while still being able to plane out for watersports.

robsformula
06-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Cruzzze, if you are looking for somthing larger I have a 303 formula that is for sale.

phebus
06-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Cruzzze, my unbiased opinion is that you have to go see, and ride in as many boats as you can, in as many varying conditions as you can. That is the only way you will know what you like.
Most boat owners are brand loyal (they have a lot invested to not like what they've got), or really haven't ridden in a lot of different boats (and again, just comment on what they like about their particular boat), so you won't get an honest view of the pros and cons of the different designs, lengths, and styles out there.
Take some time, do some research, and you will end up with the best boat that fits your boating style and needs.

NOTALENT
06-22-2006, 07:41 AM
There is so much to think about when buying a boat that the only person who knows what they want is YOU. What will you do with the boat. I wouldn't want anything bigger than my 27 footer if I wanted to wakeboard. The speed is too slow to get on plane for some people unless I have extra people in the bow. I'd rather board behind my buddy's 21' Hallet.
Of course, seeing as it is usually just my wife and I on the boat and we like to run up and down the river for lunch stops, my boat has been perfect for me.
Now that I'm looking to leave the river and boat in the big blue, I'm looking at buying an even bigger boat with a closed bow.
A boat needs to fit your lifestyle. The size that you are in now or just a little bigger(like my 27) gives you the best of all worlds. Fast, Stable, Hanles chop while still being able to plane out for watersports.
Have you taken yours to Lake pacific yet??? If so how was it???

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Ruiz, I really like your boat, have seen it on here plenty of times, and I kinda was leaning that way, obviously I haven't seen it in person, but really like the look of that........nice :cool:
Thanks for the compliment, but I can't take credit for it, I purchased it used of another (Famaffair) member on here. If you ever see me in Havi, stop by or stop me and you are welcome to check it out.

Dave C
06-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Good advice here.
figure YOUR needs and check out ALL the major manufacturers first before you do anything.
consider where you do most of your boating and the conditions there.
BTW cats typically run faster under more control in rougher water (up to a point that is ;))
also check out a couple of deckboats (i.e. cats in disguise) ;)
Cruzzze, my unbiased opinion is that you have to go see, and ride in as many boats as you can, in as many varying conditions as you can. That is the only way you will know what you like.
Most boat owners are brand loyal (they have a lot invested to not like what they've got), or really haven't ridden in a lot of different boats (and again, just comment on what they like about their particular boat), so you won't get an honest view of the pros and cons of the different designs, lengths, and styles out there.
Take some time, do some research, and you will end up with the best boat that fits your boating style and needs.

caroftheweek
06-22-2006, 07:51 AM
we had 2 v-bottoms previous to the magic. i will not own another v-bottom. i really like how the cat rides. we don't do watersports behind it so i can't tell you how that is. i do know that at like 35-39mph there is virtually no wake, which would be good for the skier if they could ski that fast.
the key, as said previously, is to ride in many boats. especially a cat if you are thinking of going that way. they drive much differently that v-bottoms.

Cruzzze
06-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys, your advice is well taken. I've probably ridden in 8 or 9 boats that were actually the size I like, and the cat that I was in was really nice, also one more question, my boat under wakeless speeds noses back and forth quite a bit, is that normal?????

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys, your advice is well taken. I've probably ridden in 8 or 9 boats that were actually the size I like, and the cat that I was in was really nice, also one more question, my boat under wakeless speeds noses back and forth quite a bit, is that normal?????
Sounds like you need to find the sweet spot on the trim, or put some tabs on it.

Cruzzze
06-22-2006, 08:11 AM
I mean under about 10 mph just idling out, it noses back and forth, I've adjusted the trim up, nothing still does it

phebus
06-22-2006, 08:12 AM
A lot of Vee's tend to bow steer. How you trim it, and how you carry the weight in the boat, will minimize it..

phebus
06-22-2006, 08:16 AM
I mean under about 10 mph just idling out, it noses back and forth, I've adjusted the trim up, nothing still does it
If you have weight in the bow, try moving to the stern.

Cruzzze
06-22-2006, 08:16 AM
It's probably me with my bow loaded with everything under the sun......thanks for the help. All I know is I gotta get to Havi to party with you guys, you all seem great..... :220v:

ChumpChange
06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Have you taken yours to Lake pacific yet??? If so how was it???
No salt on mine.
On my test drive we took one of the boats out in the big blue. The closed bow that was just put in the spam section was the one. The hull was great in the chop.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Sounds like you need to find the sweet spot on the trim, or put some tabs on it.
WTF are tabs or trim gonna due at wakeless speed? Nothing.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 08:33 AM
You are right, I read the thread to quick and didn't realize he wrote wakeless on there.

phebus
06-22-2006, 09:12 AM
If you have a boat that bow steers, trimming the drive tends to help. Even idle speeds, if you have the boat trimmed in, it tends to push the bow into the water, worsening the bow steer.
The slightest adjustment can help. The biggest thing is taking some of the weight out of the bow. The less amount of wetted surface in th front section of the boat the better.

vegas30cat
06-22-2006, 09:20 AM
on my Cheetah V it would wander at idle...with the tabs down it DID NOT do that, straight as an arrow :cool:
Dan <----borrowed Mark's comp here at work

phebus
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
on my Cheetah V it would wander at idle...with the tabs down it DID NOT do that, straight as an arrow :cool:
Dan <----borrowed Mark's comp here at work
Yep, even at idle, drive trim, tabs, and weight distribution can effect the attitude of a boat.