PDA

View Full Version : AZ Firemen Honored for saving life of boardmember son

Outnumbered
06-22-2006, 11:56 PM
I was not able to make this but came across the story today...
AZ Republic story (http://www.azcentral.com/community/peoria/articles/0623gl-heroes23Z2.html)

Outnumbered
06-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Firefighters honored for saving life
Brent Whiting
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 23, 2006 12:00 AM
Two off-duty firefighters, including one from Peoria, have been credited with saving the life of a 2½-year-old California boy who had stopped breathing.
Douglas Corrie, 31, a Peoria firefighter, and James Brinkley, 32, a fire engineer with Scottsdale, were on vacation together at Lake Havasu when they jumped to the boy's rescue June 9 after hearing the child's mother screaming for help.
They performed CPR that restored a pulse and got the child, Ryan Palaskis, breathing again, authorities said. advertisement
For their dramatic achievement, Corrie and Brinkley were honored Wednesday with service awards offered by Bob McKibben, the Peoria fire chief.
"This is what it is all about," McKibben said. "This is why everyone of us came into this business - to make a difference."
Ryan's parents, Ed and Kathy Palaskis, of Riverside, Calif., also were on hand with their son to offer their appreciation.
"There are not enough words in the English language for me to express my gratitude to them," Kathy Palaskis, 35, told reporters at the informal presentation.
Ed Palaskis, 43, said he tried to remain calm as Corrie and Brinkley worked on his son. He said it "bring tears to my eyes" to realize what they accomplished.
"I couldn't be more grateful," he said.
Kathy Palaskis said Ryan blacked out and stopped breathing when he stuck his head into a tight compartment on their boat in an attempt to grab some keys.
Apparently, he pinched an artery in his neck and shut off the flow of blood to his brain, Palaskis said. When she spotted the boy, she thought he was asleep, she said.
But the boy was blue when the father pulled him out of the compartment, Palaskis said. Corrie and Brinkley came running when she started screaming for help.
Both firefighters said it took four or five minutes of CPR before the boy started breathing again. He then was airlifted to a Las Vegas hospital for further treatment.
Both rescuers said it was a joy to see a healthy Ryan on Wednesday.
"And here he is standing with us today," Corrie said. "It's awesome to see him here today and nothing wrong with him. It's worth its weight in gold."
Brinkley said it was an opportunity to make a difference in somebody's life, a chance that firefighters don't get every day.
"To be a part of something like this, to see him talking and just being his normal self, that just brings a great feeling of accomplishment," Brinkley said.
Following the presentation to Corrie and Brinkley, firefighters took an excited Ryan for a spin on a Peoria fire truck.

JetBoatRich
06-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Awesome story :cool:

TCN
06-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Great story. Thanks for recognizing these guys for their efforts, especially off duty. Nick

RitcheyRch
06-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Awesome story. Nice to read something positive these days.

HavasuSelect
06-23-2006, 05:09 AM
So glad to hear it!

MRSDRMCAT
06-23-2006, 05:24 AM
That is an amazing story!!! Thank God for the right people at the right time!!

jbinyma11
06-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Great story. Thanks for recognizing these guys for their efforts, especially off duty. Nick
When it comes down to saving a life Firefighters are NEVER off duty....
Great story!!
Thanks for posting
JB

GHT
06-23-2006, 05:35 AM
How fortunate... Thank god all turned out as it did...

All IN
06-23-2006, 05:51 AM
The two firefighters are truly HEROS

Quid Pro Quo
06-23-2006, 05:53 AM
It's not a career choice but a lifestyle. We are never off duty. Kudos to a job well done.

TCN
06-23-2006, 06:02 AM
When it comes down to saving a life Firefighters are NEVER off duty....
Great story!!
Thanks for posting
JB
When you do stuff off duty it is at your own risk and the abilities you have off duty are far less than on duty. You cannot act as a paramedic OFF duty. You can only assist to the BLS/EMT level which can be frustrating for some once help arrives. You have No PPE, personal protective equipment off duty so if for whatever reason you contract a new illness or disease while performing off duty that is a whole new nightmare to deal with with work comp ect. That is what I meant by acknowledging these guys for their off duty efforts. Nick

MR HARLEY
06-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Great story and thank you gentleman for your efforts!

Her454
06-23-2006, 07:46 AM
that brought tears to my eyes................

Lightning
06-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Great story,thanks for sharing....I wonder if this is relateed to the Advantage thread.

Magic34
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Also made the local news a few nights ago.
Nice work and glad all is well!

Outnumbered
06-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Great story,thanks for sharing....I wonder if this is relateed to the Advantage thread.
Yes. This is the same incident. That is how I knew it was a board member's son ;)

Kilrtoy
06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
great story, glad these two guys were there to make a difference in our memebers lives.....

little rowe boat
06-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Just arrived home from Havasu and saw this thread, (No puter in Havi.) What an awesome story and ending. Way to go guys.

THEPISTONHEAD
06-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Good job guys. Love to here happy endings!

GRUNION
06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Great job guys.