PDA

View Full Version : Just got in to Havi! has anyone ever seen..

Midlife Advantage
06-23-2006, 01:22 AM
a blinking overdrive "off" light on shifter of a Ford? around Needles I was using the OD off to cruise up some hills in the 02 Excursion, pullin the boat, and I noticed the "off" light was blinking on and off :confused: everything was fine, tranny temp was the same as always, nothing over what it should be, so I pulled off and shut it down. started it back up and it was normal again :confused: Didnt do it again the rest of the trip, so it must have been a glitch in the 'puter? the OD on and off functioned just fine.....

RiverRatMike
06-23-2006, 01:53 AM
a blinking overdrive "off" light on shifter of a Ford? around Needles I was using the OD off to cruise up some hills in the 02 Excursion, pullin the boat, and I noticed the "off" light was blinking on and off :confused: everything was fine, tranny temp was the same as always, nothing over what it should be, so I pulled off and shut it down. started it back up and it was normal again :confused: Didnt do it again the rest of the trip, so it must have been a glitch in the 'puter? the OD on and off functioned just fine.....
weird, that has never has happened to me on my super duty
I believe it's a computer code for a overheated transmission.
Do a search over on the Ford forums.

HMF'er
06-23-2006, 02:01 AM
That happened to my 03 F250 diesel. Like you, I continued driving because everything appeared fine and I was somewhere on Rice Road. When I got home, I took the truck to the dealer (still under warranty). They stated the blinking is some sort or fault or error code. They ended up "overhauling" the transmission to the tune of about $2k, and billed Ford for the warranty work. I still don't think all the work was necessary, and never noticed a difference in the performance but the techs gotta make some money.

JetBoatRich
06-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Might to have the error codes checked :cool:

GunninGopher
06-23-2006, 05:29 AM
Call On-star and they'll tell you right away.
Oh....Yeah, that's right! :wink: :wink: :wink:

GHT
06-23-2006, 05:33 AM
I had this happen to my work F250. Shut the truck off and restarted it and all was fine. If there is a real problem, of course you'll have to have someone download the computer. It never came back in my case.
Hope this helps..

Wicked_Tahiti
06-23-2006, 06:10 AM
my father in law is a ford dealer.
That blink means that the ECS/ECU is telling the system that something is wrong with the trans. all the senors send data to the ECS and it makes a call from that point.
none-the-less it is an error since the driver has already takin the system out of OD on-the-fly. For specific vin's released, Its based on the computers core firmware version, most of the time a simple flash update from ford will fix the issue (most common). Other times he has seen it be a problem with the trans cluch unit/pack, this is most common on auto transmissions, if you remove overdrive on-the-fly and the clutch dont engage correctly or the torque converter isnt pushing fluid as it should. But in any case, take it to the dealer and ask the person helping you to GIVE ME THE CODE FROM THE PCM, this will inform him that you do infact know whats going on, and they will be sure and fix that codes problem. (that comes from the mouth of a 17year ford dealer)
He has never heard of such thing as a complete overhaul of a trans becuase of the indicator light blinking. unless you really notice a difference in performance, in which case youll prolly have another indactor light apper.

Speedin' Ian
06-23-2006, 07:09 AM
I have a 2000 F-250 and a couple years ago I was towing my boat to Shasta... all of a sudden my speedo stopped working and the overdrive light started flashing. Everything seemed fine but I called my buddy who was a service tech for ford and he told me flashing light meant something was wrong with the trans and it was going into a fail safe mode??? He was also able to tell me why the speedo quit working, turns there is a sensor on the rear end that had gone bad.

wildbillg
06-23-2006, 08:09 AM
I had that happen to me and it wasent to long and I had to replace my trasmission..
The best thing to do is take it in and have someone read the codes because even tho it is not doing it now the code that it threw out is still in the memory of the computer....
For sure get it looked at...

CBadDad
06-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Here's the link to an Excursion forum for more info. How many miles you got on your rig. I know that they had some tranny problems with our rigs, but I just hit 60K in my '02 and haven't had any - Knock on wood.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Ziggy
06-23-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a 2000 F-250 and a couple years ago I was towing my boat to Shasta... all of a sudden my speedo stopped working and the overdrive light started flashing. Everything seemed fine but I called my buddy who was a service tech for ford and he told me flashing light meant something was wrong with the trans and it was going into a fail safe mode??? He was also able to tell me why the speedo quit working, turns there is a sensor on the rear end that had gone bad.
And without a speed signal the tranny don't know what to do.... ;)

lurid
06-23-2006, 08:45 AM
I have a 2000 Excursion and at about 70K I had the same problem. It is a sensor on the rear differential. It cost about $24 at the dealer and is 2---8mm or 10mm bolts. It is a weather pack plug and takes about 5 minutes to change. I have 105K on the X now.
Good luck

2dasand
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
2 reasons the tranny light flashes 1) overheating, but you said the temp gauge was good and 2) excessive slippage. There is a slippage detector in the trans that will trip the light if there is too much. Either scenario is not the best. If you have any serious questions, I highly reccomend John Wood, in Holtville, ca. He is not very conveniently located, but IMHO the best guy around to do Ford Tranny work. John specializes in Super Duties, and warranties for lifted trucks (find someone elso who will do that). He is extremely knowledgable, and is glad to answer any questions. if you would like to call him, his # is 760-356-9421. Good luck

BALLSDEEP
06-23-2006, 08:49 AM
I had this happen to my 99 F250 on the way to Glamis. It’s the speed sensor solenoid on top of the rear diff. It’s pretty common that they go out around 70K. Its about a 20 dollar part and takes about 10 minutes to replace. I wouldn’t keep driving it, it messes with your shift points on your tranny.

dirty old man
06-23-2006, 08:56 AM
To reset: turn ignition key to start while still cruising at speed - in gear. The radio will stop, you'll come out of cruise control, but it will reset. Do not put into neutral! The starter will NOT engage if you're still in gear. The blinking should stop. If it doesn't, you need to be heading for the dealer

SoCalSouthpaw
06-23-2006, 09:00 AM
SOLUTION: Buy GMC :p

Waldo
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
98 F-150
Happened to me and my tranny WAS slipping. I changed my rear dif sensor...still blinked. Paid some $$$$ to have my tranny rebuilt.

JetBoatRich
06-23-2006, 09:39 AM
To reset: turn ignition key to start while still cruising at speed - in gear. The radio will stop, you'll come out of cruise control, but it will reset. Do not put into neutral! The starter will NOT engage if you're still in gear. The blinking should stop. If it doesn't, you need to be heading for the dealer
Never heard of this :rolleyes:

Midlife Advantage
06-24-2006, 12:12 AM
wow, thanks everyone! I will read through all of these tips when I can see AND type :220v:

TRUMP TIGHT
06-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Go to Auto Zone and do a diagnostic if your worried. Its free.

RiverRatMike
06-24-2006, 02:03 AM
SOLUTION: Buy GMC :p
NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Wet Dream
06-24-2006, 06:54 AM
Your tranny is about to fail. The blinking O/D light is merely a signal that something is wrong. Not that your speed sensor is out, or tranny temp. It is a fault in the tranny and the computer picked it up.

Midlife Advantage
06-24-2006, 09:46 PM
well alright! what a great bunch of feedback, I appreciate it. I won't be towing the boat home so I will take it easy and get it looked at first thing monday. It makes sense, there is something wrong and I think that the rear diff thing sounds about right. There are no shifting issues at all, no temp, OD on/off works right, so I will follow that route.
The 'scursion has 115k on it, I have all the service done on schedule and have had only one major problem, I broke the rear axle :cry: It had to have been a flaw in the casting, it just broke going up a small hill. Ford fixed it after some debate, but thats it. So maybe messing with the diff upset the equilibrium of it and caused this sensor prob. :220v:
Thanks again. Great day on Havi, ran into SBarks, H2Otoy and a few others, sorry if I missed anyone, I dont know what everyones boat looks like.
They shut the channel down again today for awhile, does anyone know why?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-24-2006, 09:51 PM
I broke the rear axle :cry: It had to have been a flaw in the casting, it just broke going up a small hill.
That's not what I heard....."Truck Jumper"....... :idea:
CJG
:p

Midlife Advantage
06-24-2006, 10:02 PM
That's not what I heard....."Truck Jumper"....... :idea:
CJG
:p
Oh yeah, thats it. I was out Monster Trucking and clipped the last volkswagen of 20 as I went over :rolleyes: