PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rebel XT camera

Beer-30
06-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Just got one. Reading all about it. So many options/settings. First pro-type camera.
Anyone have one? Tricks, tips, other?

77charger
06-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Cant go wrong with a dig slr i have a rebel dslr and love it.
The camera will only be as good as you are.Learn to use the manula modes and semi manual vs the auto you will get better pics and experiment and learn since you dont use film but a flash card.Try different settings with the camera to see how pics come out.
I like to use the av mode setting with my 75-300 lens anyhere from a 8-14 f stop(or aperture) on sunny days.But also like to keep shutter speed at least 250 and up for action shots.If a cloudy day you can bump the iso up to 400 which is better for low light but higher the iso the grainier a pic can look so keep it as low as you can i have gone to 1600 here and there(max) for indoors.If it is a cloudy day and i am doing motorsports i bump to 200 or 400 so i can still get a fast shutter speed and still use atleast an 8 f stop on my 75-300 lens vs a sunny day when i can get the same with a 100 iso setting.The TV mode on the dial also works good you pick the shutter speed you want and it sets the appropiate f stop for the conditions too
Read the instructions good and play like i said that camera has alot of potential just need to know how to use it.Many buy the 20d or better thinking they have a superior camera but dont have the brains to use it to its full potential and get lousy pics vs a skilled user on a lesser camera

Beer-30
06-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Will do. Thanks.

77charger
06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
forgot to add above mentioned is for mainly outdoors.In low light indoors in the av mode you want to use the lowest number possible 3.5-4 unless you have a better lens and slower shutter speeds.
I usually just use the auto mode(green square)or the P mode (for this you have to manually turn on flash) for use indoors or at night time I tend to get consistent pics in the P mode as far as exposure goes.

6 balls
06-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Just bought one for my wife... chose this one because we can use the lenses that we had already purchased for her Rebel SLR camera (35mm).
I tried it out at our daughters swim meet last weekend. The sports mode with continuous shooting (3 frames per second) worked awesome.
No delay like the old digital, perfect for capturing and freezing the action!
image (resized only)
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/tlafree.jpg
image full resolution (cropped)
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/tlafreefullres1.jpg

phebus
06-25-2006, 04:27 PM
That brings up a question, can you use older Canon lense with the new digital Canon SLR's, and have full capabilities?

6 balls
06-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes, they are compatible with all the Canon EF and EF-S lenses. :cool:

phebus
06-25-2006, 04:42 PM
I have a few nice Canon lenses. Going out to the garage to see if they are
EF or EF-S.

Ultra21
06-25-2006, 04:45 PM
I've been looking at these cameras and they look very nice but I've been seeing prices range all over the place. I know it depends on the lense selection but even when you look at Best Buy compared to others the body is anywhere from $459 to $899. what am I missing and does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy? This is, by the way, boat related since I'm going to be taking picures in Havasu!!!

BadBahner
06-25-2006, 05:32 PM
I've been looking at these cameras and they look very nice but I've been seeing prices range all over the place. I know it depends on the lense selection but even when you look at Best Buy compared to others the body is anywhere from $459 to $899. what am I missing and does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy? This is, by the way, boat related since I'm going to be taking picures in Havasu!!!
I have the Canon 20D and I bought it from B and H camera. They are on the internet and have a good reputation.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Eric

blown65
06-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Costco is the best IMO. Camera breaks, take it back. If your into the return thing at Costco its sorta a free upgrade.

Beer-30
06-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Was $699 @ Costco. :)

H20Advantage
06-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Just bought one for my wife... chose this one because we can use the lenses that we had already purchased for her Rebel SLR camera (35mm).
I tried it out at our daughters swim meet last weekend. The sports mode with continuous shooting (3 frames per second) worked awesome.
No delay like the old digital, perfect for capturing and freezing the action!
image (resized only)
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/tlafree.jpg
image full resolution (cropped)
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/tlafreefullres1.jpg
Wow, the resolution on that thing is awesome. Do you like the recycle time between pictures? What size cards are you using in it? With the higher resolution (pixels) I would think you need a larger card to hold more pictures.

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 07:41 AM
I haven't taken any rapid photos with it, but, as soon as you snap the pic - it's ready for another.
1-Gig card. Gives 449 on medium setting, something like 249 on high settings and like 70 or 80 pics in RAW format.

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Good info.

phebus
06-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know how long Canon has made the EF and EF-S lenses? I have a Canon Rebel 35mm SLR, that I have already packed, but it is about 10 years old. I have several nice zoom lenses, and would like to know if there is a chance they are compatible with the new digital Canon cameras.
Thanks

6 balls
06-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Don't know how long they have been made but our 35mm Rebel SLR uses the EF lenses, I believe the EF-S is a newer lens made specifically for the digital SLR's. Our old lenses all work on the new Digital Rebel.
The focal length of an SLR lens on a digital camera will be 1.6 times that of the lens, so a 75-300mm lens will actually have a focal length of 120-480mm.

6 balls
06-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Was $699 @ Costco. :)
Was that before or after the rebate?

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Was that before or after the rebate?
After.
$799 purchase, plus $39 for the 1gig CF card. Mailed in the rebate. A week later, got an email notice that my reward ($100) will be received within 2 weeks. That was about a week ago.

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 02:08 PM
6 Balls:
What quality setting do you use the most / leave it on?
I have been using the upper-medium setting. Gives 449 pics on 1G card.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-26-2006, 02:38 PM
There is no recycle time between pictures that I notice. You can hold the button down and take consecutive shots. I usually leave mine on the program mode and only change it when I have time to play with it (like scenic shots). I also have the 75-300 lens and found it more than enough for anything I need to shoot. It is an incredible camera. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Congrats.

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 02:44 PM
I think you should send that pic of your daughter in to Costco's picture contest. That one blows away some of the others I have seen. I will see if I can find the link.
Oh yes, here it is:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11135763&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Magic34
06-26-2006, 03:05 PM
I might be getting one of these tomorrow, but hate reading instructions.
Can you set up a class and teach it on the water one day?

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I might be getting one of these tomorrow, but hate reading instructions.
Can you set up a class and teach it on the water one day?
WEll, the nice thing about this bad boy is that it is still a point-and-shoot. It has a full auto mode that sets everything. That can get you (and me) by until learning shutter speeds and aperature settings little by little.
I still think the beautiful thing about a (especially this) digital camera is being able to shoot as much as you want w/o worrying about wasting film.

kevnmcd
06-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know how long Canon has made the EF and EF-S lenses? I have a Canon Rebel 35mm SLR, that I have already packed, but it is about 10 years old. I have several nice zoom lenses, and would like to know if there is a chance they are compatible with the new digital Canon cameras.
Thanks
Rick - I had the Canon EOS Rebel 35mm SLR (about 10 yrs old) and that is why I bought the digital version so I could use my existing lenses. I didn't have the Canon zoom lenses but another brand that worked with the 35mm version. The only problem that I had using the auto focus. It would give me any error on the digital but if I used them in the manual focus mode they worked fine. I ended up buying 50-200 lens that was specifically for the digital and it works awesome! Good luck

phebus
06-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Kev, thanks. I had pretty much decided to get the Canon S3, as it has a 12X optical zoom, but when I saw the thread on the Rebel, it made me wonder about getting it. I would want my old lenses to be able to be used in the point and shoot mode, and if I had to manually focus, it wouldn't work for me.
The cost of the new Rebel, plus the cost of new lenses, would cost some serious money, and there is a lot I want to do to the new house, so it looks like I might be back to the S3.
Thanks,
By the way, I love your new truck,
Rick

6 balls
06-26-2006, 03:41 PM
What quality setting do you use the most / leave it on?
I have been using the upper-medium setting. Gives 449 pics on 1G card.
I have the 1gb card as well, so far I have left it set on the highest resolution.
I think you should send that pic of your daughter in to Costco's picture contest. That one blows away some of the others I have seen. I will see if I can find the link.
Thanks, I just might do that!
I would want my old lenses to be able to be used in the point and shoot mode, and if I had to manually focus, it wouldn't work for me.
If your zoom lenses are Canon brand EF they will work with the auto-focus, fully automatic mode on this digital Rebel. Mine do without any problems.

blown65
06-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I use the kit lens quite a bit, but would like to get a 10-22 Canon for some wide angle shots.
The 75-300 with Image Stabalizer is nice to have just for the fact you can get some pretty good shots with the IS on. Eventually I wanna get some L lenses (like the 100-400) but for the most part the camera is pretty user friendly with alot of advanced features when you wanna experiment.
As far as out of the box user, really its just charge the battery, put a CF card in, attach lens and put on auto mode and it will take great pics. Its just when you get into the manual mode stuff you need to know a little more about what your doing, and the manual is good and also the Canon learning center online is good.

77charger
06-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I also shoot in the highest setting.You just never know when you get that perfect shot only to find out you cant enlarge it as big cause you were in the med high setting.

phebus
06-26-2006, 05:27 PM
O.K., you got my interest up, so I went out in the garage, and starting looking for what box I had packed the camera in. Well, one cut finger with a razor knife, and a 2x4 in the head later, this is what I found:
Canon Zoom Lens EF 35-105mm 1:4.5-5.6
Canon Zoom Lens EF 100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 Ultrasonic
Both lenses have a switch to either use them in manual or autofocus mode.
Now, I have to decide whether to buy the Rebel SLR, or to sell them and use the money on the other camera. :confused: :confused: :confused:
I really don't know if I'll use the manual mode or not.

77charger
06-26-2006, 05:32 PM
just buy the rebel and be happy.I was in a situation 2.5 years ago buy a point and shoot and not be happy with it with the delayed shutters and end up buying a canon anyways.Said f it bought the eos rebel and still enjoy it today.So many pics i got i would have missed with a point and shoot .
My uncle has a canon point and shoot 8 pixel at glamis my 6.3 pixel does way better esp at night.The new rebels are 8.2mp

kevnmcd
06-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Rick - I agree with 77charger....get the Rebel! You will never be happy with the S3. There is no delay when you push the button and 3.5 pics per second isn't bad either! Take your lenses down to Ritz and try them on the camera first to make sure they work. If they do, I guarantee you will leave with a Rebel in your hand!
P.S. Thanks for the compliments on my truck! This thing is SWEET!