PDA

View Full Version : Save the Channel......I can't make it so you guys should!

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Dear All In and Around Lake Havasu
Please, hopefully a large number of other local boating families in
protesting Harvey's attempt to
close the Channel. If you've read the paper lately or listened to the
voices of reason on local
radio you know the ridiculous scope of what Harvey wants to do and the
disastrous effect it will
have on business.
No one disputes that there are times when less than desirable people
and actions occur on the
channel, that should and is being well taken care of through
enforcement. However, to remove a
favored area from the use of locals that enjoy...and respect...the
privilege is yet a further step
over the line by a Mayor and some members of a Council that are grossly
out of touch with the
community.
We'll be beaching this Sunday, January 8th around noon, replete with a
banner that will read
"Hands off OUR Channel, Harvey." Please join us for what should be a
sunny and (yeah right) warm
day on the channel. We need a show of community support to make a
visible statement to Harvey and
the rest of the J5 and to emphasize the rallying cry of "ENOUGH." What
better way than to fill the
channel even on a winter weekend!
Please, those of you with email lists that are more extensive than
mine, if you are in agreement,
forward this message. Look forward to seeing you on the water on
Sunday.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to
prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from
keeping their own arms." -Samuel Adams, debates & Proceedings in the
Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87.
And the enemies of any republic say....
"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of
ordinary Americans ..." Bill Clinton (USA TODAY, 11 March 1993, page 2A)
"One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ... Make mass searches
and hold executions for found arms." --V.I. Lenin.

NOTALENT
01-06-2006, 09:19 AM
One of your first few posts, but I like it....Welcome newbie.. :rollside:

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks hope there will be a big turn out to show Harvey what the locals really want. Not his own agenda.

PhantomChaos
01-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Ttt

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Ttt
Thanks for posting. I dont post much but i think this one is way important. Closing the channel would just make more issues then the mayor is really thinking about. Harvey seems to be some what Like Sono Bono was in Palm Springs pushing his own agenda.

Havasu1986
01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Channel Rat Do you have the pontoon with Cannel Rat on the back of your boat. If so I can see why your so concerned becuse every time I go in the channel I see your boat with wife and dog.

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Channel Rat Do you have the pontoon with Cannel Rat on the back of your boat. If so I can see why your so concerned becuse every time I go in the channel I see your boat with wife and dog.
Nope we do have a pontoon but no thats not our boat. The concern is the more the city tries to scare people away. It will have a long term affect. Those of you that do have second homes here may decide its not worth it and drive the property values down here. Long term aspect of non tourism. As much as sometimes the crowed town is a pain. Its because of the tourist that we have gained some things to.

HighRoller
01-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh please! :cry: You're telling me with a straight face that if people can't sit on their asses in the channel all day that Havasu will dry up and blow away? I look at it another way. I went to Havasu regularly since the early 70's until the post-MTV BS started up. I'm sure others have stopped going there as well for the same reason. Maybe the Mayor has heard from those who have had ENOUGH of people coming in from out of town and treating their town like a garbage pit and strip bar and polluting the channel to toxic levels. We all saw this coming from a mile away in light of the shutdowns at the Sandbar. When people cannot police their own behavior, others have to do it for them. The fact that you're trying to blame the Mayor for the consequences of bad behavior in the channel is ridiculous. The bad apples brought this upon themselves.

Hallett
01-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Oh please! :cry: You're telling me with a straight face that if people can't sit on their asses in the channel all day that Havasu will dry up and blow away? I look at it another way. I went to Havasu regularly since the early 70's until the post-MTV BS started up. I'm sure others have stopped going there as well for the same reason. Maybe the Mayor has heard from those who have had ENOUGH of people coming in from out of town and treating their town like a garbage pit and strip bar and polluting the channel to toxic levels. We all saw this coming from a mile away in light of the shutdowns at the Sandbar. When people cannot police their own behavior, others have to do it for them. The fact that you're trying to blame the Mayor for the consequences of bad behavior in the channel is ridiculous. The bad apples brought this upon themselves.
I agree well said, im tired of the crap around here.
we have lived here for seventeen years and it's
pretty bad when you cant even take your kids
out on the weekend becouse of what they might
see. i dont think closing the channel will help but
somthing needs to be done.

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 02:45 PM
i dont agree. I live here now and started comming here 10 years ago. We dont live in the 70's any more just like people in the 70's got upset that things changed from the 50's. With each year that pass everything changes. Some changes we agree with and some we dont. But it has happened in other places if you stiffle the tourism in a town where tourism is a major reason why we have grown then you will stiffle the economy. Its already happened here. The working class people struggle to even be able to afford a house right now because the wages are far less then the cost of living. Its time this town woke up tourism is how this town was started and thrives. Take a look. The police gain alot of revenue from the tourists as well as the local store oweners. Hire more police. Just like they do in other towns during busy seasons. I dont agree with the actions of the few down in the channel but with but it needs to be useable for the locals as well as the tourists. And Like Keith said on another post it got worse after the partial closers last year not better.

HighRoller
01-06-2006, 03:44 PM
They aren't stifling tourism, they are trying to protect people. Did you not realize the carbon monoxide levels in the channel on busy weekends are killing people? If people aren't smart enough to turn off their boats or not sit idling in one spot for 20 minutes then something has to be done. I think a good idea would be some "creative landscaping" down by the shore so not as many boats can beach along there. Absent of that, what else can you do to prevent people from packing in like sardines and acting ridiculous?
No, it's not the 70's anymore, but since when did a calendar make it okay to throw common sense out the window???

Keith E. Sayre
01-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Highroller: I think you may be missing the point here. In my opinion, the boaters are only about 20% of the problem of rowdy behavior and underaged
drinking and nudity in our channel. the real problem are the people who walk
in and then mingle on the beach. and remember, this is only a "problem"
3 weekends out of the year.
For those that think closing the channel to boaters will solve a problem, take
a look at what happened the last time they tried it!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80523&highlight=trash+channel
Do I need to say anymore? As you can see, the problem worsened. Would
you rather see a $75,000 boat sitting there or the guy in the chair?
Nice crowd. The boaters are not the biggest part of the problem. It's the
people that walk down there. Do you really think Mr. Mayor that your family
would go have a picnic next to the crowd in these photos? I think not.
Hallett: Bob--we too don't like what happens on the 3 big weekends every year in our channel but kicking the people out that probably make up 20% of the problem won't help anyone. The mayor quotes "underaged drinkers" as a
big problem in the channel. Start arresting them. When was the last time that you saw an underaged kid driving a boat while he was drunk in the channel? The underaged kids fighting and causing problems in the channel
were the people that walked down there in most cases. I'm there every weekend and I see what goes on as well as anyone.
I am all for improving our channel cleanliness and keeping order but why can't we get enough trash cans put out there, why does the pd have to run from
one end of the place to the other when there is a problem? with all the tax
revenue in this town, we seem so short handed. if the pd needs help keeping an eye on the situation, why not look for resident volunteers armed with small police radios who sit in street attire ready to call the pd if there is a situation brewing. that would lessen the strain on the pd who is already spread thin and there would be no shortage of retired men looking to cruise the channel without the old lady nagging at him while he drools at the scenery, then if they're worried about
nudity, why not make it a $1,000 fine if you get caught flashing and a $500
reward to anyone producing a digital photo to the police showing the flashing? the city would make money, the flashing would be completely
eliminated after word got out and every boater in the channel would be armed with a camera looking for a $500 handout.
These seem like fairly simple solutions to a problem that manifests itself 3
weekends a year. Someone should clue someone in, this isn't Tahoe and
it certainly isn't Sedona. Boaters and their FAMILIES got chased out of
So Cal 30 years ago and we had to drive to the river. Now these blue haired
folks want to take this place over too.
To the mayor and city council: if you're going to make a change. make it a
good one that will really work. otherwise sit back and enjoy the ride. most
of us love it here!
Keith Sayre

That Guy
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Great post Keith with some great ideas...those were the pics I was looking for in the other channel thread.... Interesting....It is still an idiotic step that won't stop the problem, but rather encourage this kind of trash (literally) to take over the channel.

shueman
01-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Good one.....right on target... :cool:

HighRoller
01-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Keith, you're obviously right about those people, but everytime I go through the channel, holiday or not, boats or not, it's still packed and people are still acting ridiculous. I agree something needs to be done. They need to 1)Identify the problem and 2)get someone with experience in the matter to consult with. That being said, they'll probably screw it all up. And yes, underage drinking is the biggest problem at Havasu. I can't tell you how many times I've had to turn away from loud mouthed 18 yo punks who were drunk and feeling bulletproof. There is not going to be a painless solution to this problem, that's for sure.

That Guy
01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
and how is closing the channel to boat parking going to solve the problems you mention. Is it only boat owners who act this way? Take a look at the pics in the link above and you will see who will be spending time in the channel....

That Guy
01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Can some more enlightened picture poster, post the pics from the link in Keith's post above. I was there that day and it was worse than it looked... :mad:

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Highroller: I think you may be missing the point here. In my opinion, the boaters are only about 20% of the problem of rowdy behavior and underaged
drinking and nudity in our channel. the real problem are the people who walk
in and then mingle on the beach. and remember, this is only a "problem"
3 weekends out of the year.
For those that think closing the channel to boaters will solve a problem, take
a look at what happened the last time they tried it!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80523&highlight=trash+channel
Do I need to say anymore? As you can see, the problem worsened. Would
you rather see a $75,000 boat sitting there or the guy in the chair?
Nice crowd. The boaters are not the biggest part of the problem. It's the
people that walk down there. Do you really think Mr. Mayor that your family
would go have a picnic next to the crowd in these photos? I think not.
Hallett: Bob--we too don't like what happens on the 3 big weekends every year in our channel but kicking the people out that probably make up 20% of the problem won't help anyone. The mayor quotes "underaged drinkers" as a
big problem in the channel. Start arresting them. When was the last time that you saw an underaged kid driving a boat while he was drunk in the channel? The underaged kids fighting and causing problems in the channel
were the people that walked down there in most cases. I'm there every weekend and I see what goes on as well as anyone.
I am all for improving our channel cleanliness and keeping order but why can't we get enough trash cans put out there, why does the pd have to run from
one end of the place to the other when there is a problem? with all the tax
revenue in this town, we seem so short handed. if the pd needs help keeping an eye on the situation, why not look for resident volunteers armed with small police radios who sit in street attire ready to call the pd if there is a situation brewing. that would lessen the strain on the pd who is already spread thin and there would be no shortage of retired men looking to cruise the channel without the old lady nagging at him while he drools at the scenery, then if they're worried about
nudity, why not make it a $1,000 fine if you get caught flashing and a $500
reward to anyone producing a digital photo to the police showing the flashing? the city would make money, the flashing would be completely
eliminated after word got out and every boater in the channel would be armed with a camera looking for a $500 handout.
These seem like fairly simple solutions to a problem that manifests itself 3
weekends a year. Someone should clue someone in, this isn't Tahoe and
it certainly isn't Sedona. Boaters and their FAMILIES got chased out of
So Cal 30 years ago and we had to drive to the river. Now these blue haired
folks want to take this place over too.
To the mayor and city council: if you're going to make a change. make it a
good one that will really work. otherwise sit back and enjoy the ride. most
of us love it here!
Keith Sayre
Keith Great comments
Thats exactly what i have been trying to get acrossed to these guys. You have a great way with those words keep it up. Are you going to be there on sunday. We will

riverroyal
01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
lake mead?

shadow
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021780IMG_1467.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021780IMG_1463.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021780IMG_1475.jpg
Funny but i don't see a boat in any of these pics.If the cops were to
ticket everyone of these people for littering and check id's,and make them pick up every piece of trash or better yet sobriety check each one and
arrest some for drunk in public.They'd either not litter or find somewhere else
to use as a dump.Nothing wrong with standing on the shore drinking a beer enjoying the sights,boat or no boat.But these pics are just uncalled for
disrespectful to everyone around them.

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
So shadow you going to be there on sunday.

shadow
01-06-2006, 04:48 PM
So shadow you going to be there on sunday.
We will be there,no boat but we will be down there.

That Guy
01-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for posting the pics and you were right, there wasn't a boat in sight. Just a bunch of yahoos who brought their coolers down and used the channel as their own personal trash pit....it was disgusting. :mad: