PDA

View Full Version : Drive Problems....

Gilligan
06-26-2006, 05:15 AM
I realize just about every one trailers but I will ask anyway. :boxed:
I bought this boat that has been sitting in the water for 3 years untouched. I noticed the drives were dirty so I started to scrub them while in the water. There is really thick deposits on the drives and the aluminum housing is even chipping away. They are Alpha 1 generation 2's. Can they be saved? :) I am having a mechanic pull the boat and service the drives. I just want to be prepared if he tells me they are trashed. :mad:

bilgewiper
06-26-2006, 06:19 AM
I'v got a Mercruiser TR-II thats been sitting in semi fresh water for 30 years now, Yes it's real ugly! Lots of aluminum pits etc. Haul outs only every 3-5 years. I lightly sand blast lower unit and repaint thats all. Until the oil starts leaking out your good to go.

Gilligan
06-26-2006, 06:46 AM
I'v got a Mercruiser TR-II thats been sitting in semi fresh water for 30 years now, Yes it's real ugly! Lots of aluminum pits etc. Haul outs only every 3-5 years. I lightly sand blast lower unit and repaint thats all. Until the oil starts leaking out your good to go.
That is good to hear. :cool:

Gilligan
06-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Anyone else? :)

Gilligan
06-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Anyone else? :)
:)

paradigm shift
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Your case is probably OK. Be careful if you sand blast it that you do not get sand in the seals or you are asking for more trouble. Aluminum is a bit tricky to paint. You need to clean it properly and acid wash it and prime it with a zinc chromate primer first to make it last. You must get ALL the corrosion off and down to bare metal. If you do a search on some of the other forums you will find lots of infromation for the do it your self guy if that is what you are looking for. Most of us here on HB are trailer guys and do not have the same issues as one that stays in the water.
Is this a salt water boat?
Also make sure your mercathode system is working and if you do not have one I highly reccomend getting one added to your boat. Stray voltages around docks are very hard on aluminum parts. Make sure all your anodes are in good shape also.
Check here there is some info that might help.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/corrosion_faqs

Gilligan
06-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Your case is probably OK. Be careful if you sand blast it that you do not get sand in the seals or you are asking for more trouble. Aluminum is a bit tricky to paint. You need to clean it properly and acid wash it and prime it with a zinc chromate primer first to make it last. You must get ALL the corrosion off and down to bare metal. If you do a search on some of the other forums you will find lots of infromation for the do it your self guy if that is what you are looking for. Most of us here on HB are trailer guys and do not have the same issues as one that stays in the water.
Is this a salt water boat?
Also make sure your mercathode system is working and if you do not have one I highly reccomend getting one added to your boat. Stray voltages around docks are very hard on aluminum parts. Make sure all your anodes are in good shape also.
Check here there is some info that might help.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/corrosion_faqs
Thanks for the info. I am in fresh water and I am sure the anodes are due for replacement. The boat did not come with a trailer so I am having a mechanic work on it. Hopefully he spends the time to fix it right. I was just hoping I did not have to buy new drives. Two of them would not be cheap.