PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ever have a problem with...

Kokopelli
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
their air conditioner circuit breaker tripping in their RV. We just bought a new trailer and the breaker keeps popping. We didn't have a problem for the first month, but now that it is getting hot we are having the problem.
Other RV's in our park are having the problem, but the park says the electricity is good.
Any ideas?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Does it have 50 amp service? If it does the park is lying!

soupersonic
06-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Other RV's in our park are having the problem, but the park says the electricity is good.
Any ideas?
Theres the problem right there.The "park" probably had some yahoo check it that didnt know what the heck he was looking for.I would put an amprobe on it to see exactly what i was getting.Its probably not enough and its overheating your unit causing it to trip.

THOR
06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Two things. Use the larger amp connector at the park. Also, put in a larger amp breaker in your panel. We had to do that at Havasu. It wasnt bad. Just roll down to Home Depot and buy a larger breaker and slap her in. Pretty much the same style that you find in your house.

JB in so cal
06-26-2006, 06:41 PM
When it trips,go up topand check to see if your compressor is frozen.

Outnumbered
06-26-2006, 06:41 PM
...put in a larger amp breaker in your panel...
I'd talk to few electricians about this before I did it. Its tripping for a reason. Running a larger breaker is a band-aid fix that may start a fire or fry some wires. I'm not an electrician but seems a little dangerous.

buzzaro
06-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Two things. Use the larger amp connector at the park. Also, put in a larger amp breaker in your panel. We had to do that at Havasu. It wasnt bad. Just roll down to Home Depot and buy a larger breaker and slap her in. Pretty much the same style that you find in your house.
Just wad up some tin foil and throw it in there.......works like a champ :messedup: :D :D

Kokopelli
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM
There is 50 amp service available, but I only have a 30 amp trailer. Can I use an adaptor to plug into the 50 amp to make sure I am getting a full 30?

Kokopelli
06-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Try turning the A/C up to 65. :D :p
Now that I think about it.... I didn't have a problem until after you came over that night... hmmmm

soupersonic
06-26-2006, 06:54 PM
There is 50 amp service available, but I only have a 30 amp trailer. Can I use an adaptor to plug into the 50 amp to make sure I am getting a full 30?
You need to get a cord with wire rated for 50 amps.If its a 30 amp cord the wire is probably a 10 gauge.You need a cord that is rated for 50 amps,atleast a 8 gauge since your only pulling 30 amps max.Then it goes to the main and you will be fine there with the 30A breaker.

H20 Toie
06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
the lower the voltage the more amps you need get a meter and see if you have 120 volts, if you use 20 amps at 120 volts and you only have 100 volts it will be something like 25 amps to run the air.

paradigm shift
06-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Get someone who knows how to check your electricity and circuits. If you have low incoming voltage you will draw high amps causing breakers to trip. Could also be a marginal connection? Either way you are playing with fire if you have real problem. Low voltage is hard on compressors also. Could also be a bad or weak breaker. You really should have it checked by someone who knows as breakers do not trip for no reason. JMHO

Hal
06-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Totally agree with the low voltage thing, especially on a hot day in a trailer park.

slowinhavasu
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
their air conditioner circuit breaker tripping in their RV. We just bought a new trailer and the breaker keeps popping. We didn't have a problem for the first month, but now that it is getting hot we are having the problem.
Any ideas?
Is the trailer here in havasu ???? Wire size on the cord ????? NEVER run bigger breaker then wire size is rated for, = fire.....

Kokopelli
06-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Is the trailer here in havasu ???? Wire size on the cord ????? NEVER run bigger breaker then wire size is rated for, = fire.....
No, it's at Castle Rock in Parker. I will check the wire size when I go back out. I wouldn't change any breakers, but was wondering about plugging into the 50 amp service with some adaptor. I thought it might give me a real 30.

vmjtc3
06-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Who's breaker is tripping, yours or the parks. If it is your's then pluging in to the 50 amp recep will gain you nothing as 30 and 50 amps of low voltage are still low voltage. Put a digital multi meter on the hot and neutral and see if you have 120 volts or if it is low. if it is low then they need to fix it. I hear this is a problem in havi. you may need to buy a power cleaner or same voltage transformer and put in line with your cord and it will bump the power back up to a full 120. I can not stress enough as an electrition not to put under amp wires on a 50 amp circuit. It is not worth the risk. If your breaker is tripping then you need to put an amp probe on the wires to the ac and see what it is pulling. Also try to replace the breaker with the same amp breaker as you may just have a weak breaker. If after all that you can not fiqure it out take to the place you bought it if it is new they will check it all out for you for free. then you will know for sure it is the park.

vmjtc3
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Big F U C k E N deal i was in a hurry grow the **** up

vmjtc3
06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
mind if I start with the ones in your head.
Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake. I bet you feel all smart now dont you............

Jrocket
06-26-2006, 07:50 PM
mind if I start with the ones in your head.
SWBOB,you have to give the guy some points for that one...Has to be one of the more original slams around here in a long time.
Ok boys,as you were... :crossx:

vmjtc3
06-26-2006, 07:52 PM
yep your right it would be a waste of time............ I wont continue this.......

slink
06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey John, I ended up leaving the panel door open to help keep the heat down, it seemed to work. I also took the cover off the second breaker which I have under the trailer for the 2nd AC, that worked as well. It never popped on Sunday. BTW, why didn't you guys stop by Tarek's (essex29) on Sat? He was mixing some mean Goose/red bull :) :)

lewiville
06-26-2006, 08:02 PM
I have the same damn prob. I even bought a $350 thing a mi jig to clean up the power over at Havasu Landing. It still pop's. I heard that sometimes when they put these things together, somehow sheet metal screws tag the wires. I have a great guy that is coming out to fix it on Saturday. If you want his number let me know.
This seems like one of those mysteries that never ends :crossx:

Jrocket
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
It was very good.
Ok,now go find me a Callaway 11deg driver with the regular flex shaft for very cheap. :)

Kokopelli
06-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey John, I ended up leaving the panel door open to help keep the heat down, it seemed to work. I also took the cover off the second breaker which I have under the trailer for the 2nd AC, that worked as well. It never popped on Sunday. BTW, why didn't you guys stop by Tarek's (essex29) on Sat? He was mixing some mean Goose/red bull :) :)
We have tried all of that. We took the panel off, put a fan on it like Bill (Knuckleheads) did. Same thing. I will probably just call out the RV repair guy.
Ahhhhhh, that's where you were! You know I had someone on my cart driving around looking for you... lol

THOR
06-26-2006, 08:13 PM
I'd talk to few electricians about this before I did it. Its tripping for a reason. Running a larger breaker is a band-aid fix that may start a fire or fry some wires. I'm not an electrician but seems a little dangerous.
So did I. That is who replaced the circuit and told me it was similar to the ones in a house.
Do what you want I guess since I know nothing and have had circuits blow and my condensor frozen. :rolleyes:

slink
06-26-2006, 08:13 PM
We have tried all of that. We took the panel off, put a fan on it like Bill (Knuckleheads) did. Same thing. I will probably just call out the RV repair guy.
Ahhhhhh, that's where you were! You know I had someone on my cart driving around looking for you... lol
YA, I know. I got an ear full Sunday morning

blown65
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
If it starts to pop easier then its probably getting weak from tripping and youll need a new breaker. When you say its getting hot your probably pulling close to the 30 amp rating of the breaker and with the hot weather its making that breaker think your pulling like 35 amps.
Dont go and put a bigger breaker in there, then you'll end up with a breaker that doesnt trip and now your wiring will get hot and melt, thats the reason that is there.
Best thing is prob get a cheap fan from radio shack with a little stat that kicks it on when its hot. They are like 4" dia and up and you can get both 120V and 12DC ones. At least then you'd get some cooler air over the breaker/breakers.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812river_trip_025-med.jpg
First and foremost, you should be running one of these:
A Line Voltage Regulator.
Reguardless of what the park operators say.
Absolutely essential,, either 50 or 30 AMP what ever your rig is "plugged" for.
The parks voltage is dropping to an unacceptable low (just a few volts drop messes ya up),, the AMPs are rising,, the A/C unit can't handle it,, this device has an auto transformer and corrects it.
NOTE!: The cable lock. The crackheads are starting to realize they can swipe & flip these easily.
$350 at RV supply places around town. Buy a new one not used.
It also saves your compressor, and your A/C will run super cool.
I'm the biggest skeptic on all the forums,, and I swear by this solution.

blown65
06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
ya, forgot about those.
amps x volts = watts.
Most your stuff will pull a determined amount of wattage. So you take volts away and your amps go up. Amps is what generates heat.

Outnumbered
06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
So did I. That is who replaced the circuit and told me it was similar to the ones in a house.
Do what you want I guess since I know nothing and have had circuits blow and my condensor frozen. :rolleyes:
Not sure if you are being a smart ass or not but just did not want to see anyone popping 30 amp breakers in 15 amp circuits and catching their shit on fire. Just trying to help.
I doubt any electrician would say "just pop in a bigger breaker" unless the circuit was designed to handle it.

Tom Brown
06-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Quality advice. Up here in Canada, we have electrical codes for that type of thing. :cool:
BTW, I came into this thread because I thought Kokopelli was going to go off on Squirtin Thunder.

JB in so cal
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
First and foremost, you should be running one of these:
A Line Voltage Regulator.
Reguardless of what the park operators say.
Absolutely essential,, either 50 or 30 AMP what ever your rig is " plugged" for.
The parks voltage is dropping to an unacceptable low (just a few volts drop messes ya up),, the AMPs are rising,, the A/C unit can't handle it,, this device has an auto transformer and corrects it.
Note the cable lock. The crackheads are starting to realize they can flip these easily.
$350 at RV supply places around town.
It also saves your compressor, and your A/C will run super cool.
I'm the biggest skeptic on all the forums,, and I swear by this solution.
Get the auto kind, and buy new so you don't have to unplug to reset it, and squash the crackheads market.
Good to see it's working, TPC!

Trailer Park Casanova
06-26-2006, 08:45 PM
BTW, In some RV parks along the river the operators think the use of a line voltage regulator is allowing you to steal electricity.
And we faked the moon landing, the queen was raped by skinheads from Mars,,,
DAMFINO their take,, so ya might want to hook it up stealth style.

tamalewagon
06-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Any ideas?
Bologna! Our's kept tripping too as well as the Waterwitches this last week. So I'm thinking they (Castlerock) just didn't want to bust out the refund.

Beautiful Noise
06-26-2006, 09:44 PM
BTW, why didn't you guys stop by Tarek's (essex29) on Sat? He was mixing some mean Goose/red bull :) :)
Jeff,Remember he was to busy watching the Donkeys on the Golf Course :rolleyes:

Kokopelli
06-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Jeff,Remember he was to busy watching the Donkeys on the Golf Course :rolleyes:
LOL... I thought I was in Tiajuana!

Kokopelli
06-27-2006, 02:48 AM
Thanks TPC, I saw that at Spanky's. I'll have to give it a try.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-27-2006, 04:02 AM
You can also get a really good one from Doug in Temple City at:
888 624 3347
Ya might mention him Ross recomended him.

Essex29
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I woke up feeling like crap in the morning...something about beer all day and followed up with a bunch of Goose :hammerhea
I never had a issue with my A/C other than it getting too cold in the bedroom and having to turn it down, the living room, now that's a different story :yuk:

KLEPTOW
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I have the same damn prob. I even bought a $350 thing a mi jig to clean up the power over at Havasu Landing. It still pop's. I heard that sometimes when they put these things together, somehow sheet metal screws tag the wires. I have a great guy that is coming out to fix it on Saturday. If you want his number let me know.
This seems like one of those mysteries that never ends :crossx:
If your refferring to the Camp ground at the landing save your time they have a problem with there entire electrical system. I have been in the camp ground and monitored there voiltage and it will drop to under 90 volts.
They have been saying they were going to fix it for years and when they finally get the money to do it the park manager used the oppertunity to displace some monthly tenants from the park that he didn't like, in sted of upgrading the rows in the park that needed it most.

OGShocker
06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Kick rocks dumbass.
Before you get all "Smash your face" on this guy, remember, I am first!..:D

OGShocker
06-27-2006, 11:33 AM
This is what I was going to mention.
We were popping AC/CB's from a low voltage condition at our house in Chino. The condition was I had'er plugged into 110v.. :rollside: :boxed: :rollside:

AZJD
06-27-2006, 11:37 AM
I found that anytime the heat was over 100, and the park we were staying was full I had to make sure we were not running any other major appliances in the moterhome at the same time.....microwave, laundry ect... gotta do it at night and turn as many of the lights and such off aswell when not using. My RV had two ac units on it too!

Trailer Park Casanova
06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
If your park voltage is dropping into the 90 volt range, a line voltage corrector might not help much.
We used them at Emerald where the voltage drops to the low 100 volts,, and they boost it back up to where the A/C starts running cold and blowing hard again.
The Franks Model I mentioned above has a 2 step/range system that gives a better boost that his competition,, but under 100 volts the problem is in the park wireing, and no line voltage corrector will bring ya back fully.
We run the generator in those conditions.
Some parks were wired back when everyone left town in the summer,, and A/C wasnt the issue,, just everyone trying to run elect heaters that were banned because of course,, they would pop the breaker too.

lewiville
06-27-2006, 03:54 PM
If your refferring to the Camp ground at the landing save your time they have a problem with there entire electrical system. I have been in the camp ground and monitored there voiltage and it will drop to under 90 volts.
They have been saying they were going to fix it for years and when they finally get the money to do it the park manager used the oppertunity to displace some monthly tenants from the park that he didn't like, in sted of upgrading the rows in the park that needed it most.
They just finished putting in new power everything ( boxes, underground utilities, etc ). Should I still monitor it?
I have one of those voltage dealio's and that didnt work ethier.
I know the manager is a POS. He put one trailer in place and tore off a corner of the new trailer and the people went to talk to him. He told them if they wanted him to pay for it they could no longer have the Landing put it in place. What a real POS.

rivrbrat
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
They just finished putting in new power everything ( boxes, underground utilities, etc ). Should I still monitor it?
I know the manager is a POS. He put one trailer in place and tore off a corner of the new trailer and the people went to talk to him. He told them if they wanted him to pay for it they could no longer have the Landing put it in place. What a real POS.
I would still check it. Part of the problem is the main power dist. box inside the park.
Bastard did the same thing to 2 of my trailers and had the nerve to coup a tude when confronted about it. Said he wasn't going to pull and place my trailer anymore so I spoke to the General Manager of the Resort and he rip Bob a new one and told him to pay me and to continue pull and place my trailers. I suggest if you havve any problems with Bob you should contact the General Manager and copy the tribe. Because they have no idea of half the crap Bob pulls.

lewiville
06-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I would still check it. Part of the problem is the main power dist. box inside the park.
Bastard did the same thing to 2 of my trailers and had the nerve to coup a tude when confronted about it. Said he wasn't going to pull and place my trailer anymore so I spoke to the General Manager of the Resort and he rip Bob a new one and told him to pay me and to continue pull and place my trailers. I suggest if you havve any problems with Bob you should contact the General Manager and copy the tribe. Because they have no idea of half the crap Bob pulls.
He is a real gem.
Do you still have a place there. I m in 712

Trailer Park Casanova
06-27-2006, 04:28 PM
If they didn't upgrade the transformers on the poles, and increase the rope (wireing) size on the drops and runs to the boxes,, then it won't have any effect/improvement on the voltage supplied.
All they did was sweeten up the appearance, and can talk that up.
If the park is running in the 90 volt range like people are e mailing me and telling me it is,, a line voltage corrector can't help, it can only do so much.
The wire runs and transformers have to be modernized to rateings with more snot.
I'd wager thay haven't. It's expensive. Most park operators are running on a gov't lease, and don't want to shell out the cash.

lewiville
06-27-2006, 04:35 PM
If they didn't upgrade the transformers on the poles, and increase the rope (wireing) size on the drops and runs to the boxes,, then it won't have any effect/improvement on the voltage supplied.
All they did was sweeten up the appearance, and can talk that up.
If the park is running in the 90 volt range like people are e mailing me and telling me it is,, a line voltage corrector can't help, it can only do so much.
The wire runs and transformers have to be modernized to rateings with more snot.
I'd wager thay haven't. It's expensive. Most park operators are running on a gov't lease, and don't want to shell out the cash.
Is there any way I can do some sort of test on my trailer alone with out waiting for the park eletric to go down?
This is one of those prob's that never goes away. Kind of like the knock in your car that you can never find.

No Name
06-27-2006, 04:53 PM
SWBOB,you have to give the guy some points for that one...Has to be one of the more original slams around here in a long time.
Ok boys,as you were... :crossx:
:)

rivrbrat
06-27-2006, 07:15 PM
He is a real gem.
Do you still have a place there. I m in 712
Hell no....Not while he is in charge.....

Trailer Park Casanova
06-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Is there any way I can do some sort of test on my trailer alone with out waiting for the park eletric to go down?
This is one of those prob's that never goes away. Kind of like the knock in your car that you can never find.
I think camping world has some devices to check this kinda thing out.
Before Emerald Cove upgraded some of their Electrical, we simply ran our RV off our Honda 3000i generator and it got super cool.

Beautiful Noise
06-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks TPC, I saw that at Spanky's. I'll have to give it a try.
John,Let me know how it works for you :)

lewiville
06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Hell no....Not while he is in charge.....
I thought he was supossed to be fired along time ago? :crossx: