PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Soccer

Caribbean Jet
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm not much of a soccer fan, but some of the games have been pretty exciting.
There's a couple of things that I like that I like about whole world cup thing is...
If you're hurt they run out there and drag your A$$ off the field and pretty quickly I might add. If you fake like some one hurt you, you either get a foul or a yellow card. Just a couple of things our basketball and Football players can take a look at.

Not So Fast
06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
ONE word, BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

Old Texan
06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
I still maintain you could take 15 NFL players, probably wideouts, running backs, and db's, give them a year to work under a top line soccer coaching staff and they'd beat snot out of 90% of the teams in World Cup.
I fail to see the athleticism "in comparison" to US football talent.
Just my opinion. :cool:

Ziggy
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I still maintain you could take 15 NFL players, probably wideouts, running backs, and db's, give them a year to work under a top line soccer coaching staff and they'd beat snot out of 90% of the teams in World Cup.
Just my opinion. :cool:Its obvious you never played the game :rolleyes:ROTFLMAO. Most of the guys have played the game since childhood, they live and breathe the sport........just like our kids here do for baseball, football or whatever it is they love to do.
But I do like your avatar :D

NoCal NoBoat
06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I once heard an interesting statistic - the average midfielder runs over 6 miles during the course of a World Cup match. There are no huddles and no time outs.
I grew up on American football, and I love it.
Coached youth soccer for 10 years, and I learn something about the game every time I watch it.
Check out the 3rd goal by Argentina in overtime v Mexico. Even if you can't stand futbol, you'll "get" it...

Caribbean Jet
06-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I wasn't comparing the sports, just the way they handle the athletes. If you get hurt, well were going to drag your A$$ off as fast as possible wether you should be or not.
If you fake like you were fouled, well you get a foul.
I was just entertained by the officials.
The great teams are fun to watch. I could not watch any other soccer than what we have on TV today.

Run_em_Hard
06-27-2006, 02:10 PM
I have watched alittle myself and have quite enjoyed it...and you have to give them props, they do run alot and they way some of them kick...WOW.

catman-do
06-27-2006, 02:11 PM
If you ever played futbol you would know thats quite the opposite. Why do you think there are so many avg or slightly overweight football players, and ever futbol player is completely ripped. Thats because they are built for two different purposes. NFL needs people with weight behind them to either hit someone or withstand a hit from someone else. Futbol they constantly run, no huddles, no gay a$$ dances after a goal. Might I add, Ive seen football players golf carted off the field if their injuries are serious enough too. just my .02..... Now Hockey, thats a mans sport!! or get those NFL players to take off those pads and come play rugby. Very similar, much more violent, much less pads..

Ziggy
06-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I once heard an interesting statistic - the average midfielder runs over 6 miles during the course of a World Cup match. There are no huddles and no time outs.
I grew up on American football, and I love it.
Coached youth soccer for 10 years, and I learn something about the game every time I watch it.
Check out the 3rd goal by Argentina in overtime v Mexico. Even if you can't stand futbol, you'll "get" it...
Some years back they did some testing where they found soccer players are considered the most endurance able athletes, second came world class motocross(outdoor style) racers.....more so than even marathon runners.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-27-2006, 03:58 PM
If you fake like some one hurt you, you either get a foul or a yellow card. Just a couple of things our basketball and Football players can take a look at.
I remember whenever Bradshaw threw an interception,, he without fail,, always faked injury.
Not a soccer fan here but,,
Soccer is getting better with the teams in the chase now.
Germany excellent, France a few top players,, good games this week so far, and gonna get better.