PDA

View Full Version : HELP,POS ford diesel,wheres shadow?

riverroyal
06-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I have bad oil leakS,they just started.Maybe 10 drops on my floor in 24hrs.Ford cant even look at it until next week,leaving for havasu this thursday.Excuse my diesel motor or just motor ingnorance,but its leaking from below the exhaust manifolds,not the manifolds themselves but the chunk of metal those are attached to,I believe the heads.Both sides.Ive had heating issues with this truck since mile 1,then the innercooler went out,then the turbo,,,,,,,FOOOOOCKKKKKKKKKK

caroftheweek
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Go Blue Ovals... :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
Sorry Steve, i hope you can get it fixed sooner than later.
Ryan

riverroyal
06-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Go Blue Ovals... :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
Sorry Steve, i hope you can get it fixed sooner than later.
Ryan
a real piece of crap,if its head gaskets going im gonna get a lawyer,23000 miles,been at ford a lot.Damn,if this kills my weekend Im gonna lose it

schlepy
06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
i say roll it, claim insurance. then call jay and get a chevy...

Procraftkev
06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
In the fleet of trucks that I take care of I had an 05 6.0 with 14,000 mile blow the head gaskets.Also in my service truck I have blown three sets of head gaskets.If it is the head gaskets it wont matter that you cant get it in right away they will have the truck for at least a week maybe two. They have to take the cab off of the frame to get the heads off.Sorry for the bad news. :cool:

phebus
06-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Now that's good engineering :rolleyes:

riverroyal
06-27-2006, 03:29 PM
In the fleet of trucks that I take care of I had an 05 6.0 with 14,000 mile blow the head gaskets.Also in my service truck I have blown three sets of head gaskets.If it is the head gaskets it wont matter that you cant get it in right away they will have the truck for at least a week maybe two. They have to take the cab off of the frame to get the heads off.Sorry for the bad news. :cool:
how long they keep it,Im leaving thursday for the lake!!!I wanna know if its gonna blow on the way out?

phebus
06-27-2006, 03:31 PM
how long they keep it,Im leaving thursday for the lake!!!I wanna know if its gonna blow on the way out?
Don't "Take it to the lake". Drive it in the lake :)

Jyruiz
06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Don't "Take it to the lake". Drive it in the lake :)
You are on a roll today. :)

schlepy
06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
it will more than likely get worse. i wouldnt want to be stuck in the middle of the desert with the temps lately. lemon law that thing....

phebus
06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
You are on a roll today. :)
I'm out in a minute. Since I'm going to Havasu without my wife tomorrow, she is forcing me to go out and drink some beers. Then she'll probably want sex or something, so there's another five minutes....
Anyway, I'll be back on later of course. Can't let life get in my way :rollside:

SUPERDUTYRHINO
06-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Normally you'll blow coolant out of the De-Gas tank over the driver side valve cover if your head gaskets are letting go. You can read a lot about this at
Ford Truck Enthusiasts.

phebus
06-27-2006, 03:50 PM
I just think that Roz was heating up frozen burritos on your exhaust manifolds, and they're dripping down :mad:

riverroyal
06-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Normally you'll blow coolant out of the De-Gas tank over the driver side valve cover if your head gaskets are letting go. You can read a lot about this at
Ford Truck Enthusiasts.
will they blow some oil by as well?Blowing it out,my guess is the coolant is in the middle,not around the edge of the head,so im wondering if oil leaking 1st is just the begining

ryantparks
06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
yours must have built on a Friday. Ive got an 05 and havent had any problems with it but I do hear that you either get a good one or a bad one.
Theres a nice 04 duramax on the spam section for a good price.

Waist Deep
06-27-2006, 03:55 PM
On my old 7.3, I had drops, then the torbo pedestal went, then the turbo. Damn, when those things go, the smoke outta the exhaust is huge. You sure its not the turbo again or the pedestal. Check out the site
www.thedieselstop.com
Theyll have the info 4 ya.

riverroyal
06-27-2006, 03:55 PM
going to ford,Im gonna make someone look at it,at least tell me if its safe to drive.....I miss my V10

sintax
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
They have to take the cab off of the frame to get the heads off.Sorry for the bad news. :cool:
WTF are you shitting me? Asshatery at its finest.

riverroyal
06-27-2006, 03:57 PM
On my old 7.3, I had drops, then the torbo pedestal went, then the turbo. Damn, when those things go, the smoke outta the exhaust is huge. You sure its not the turbo again or the pedestal. Check out the site
www.thedieselstop.com
Theyll have the info 4 ya.
post a thread at dieselstop,no answers yet.Im fricken packed!Wife has clothes ready,food,beer,,,,damn Im pissed

jbtrailerjim
06-27-2006, 04:05 PM
going to ford,Im gonna make someone look at it,at least tell me if its safe to drive.....I miss my V10
So, this would not be a good time to rub it in on how trouble free my Ford V10 has been and how much I love it. :cool:

shadow
06-27-2006, 04:05 PM
will they blow some oil by as well?Blowing it out,my guess is the coolant is in the middle,not around the edge of the head,so im wondering if oil leaking 1st is just the begining
No they don't leak externally (blown head gasket) between the block and head.Sounds like your oil leak is either a cam sensor located front side of engine towards the front.see alot of those,then they run back along the edge of the oil pan and appear to be a rear main.Also there are a couple of orings up at the oil pump right below the front of the crank that leak,as well as the rear main.Could be a number of different places the leak(s) is comimg from and easy enough to fix once located.Make sure your coolant level is at the minimum fill line in the degas bottle NOT the max line.
I'll be off from Fri thru tues so probablly won't be of any assistance while you are in Havasu this weekend unless you need a cold beer.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Turbo seals or you oil filter cover is loose would be my guess. Blown head gaskets rarely result in oil leaks.

ryantparks
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
take the cold beer!

CBadDad
06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
RR, that sux, I know first hand how frustrating it can be when your truckless. Since you're not there yet, best of luck on your trip. Pack a cooler full of water beer and gatorade for the ride thru the desert just in case. Nothin' worse than hving a new truck that is unreliable.

Not So Fast
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
I have bad oil leakS,they just started.Maybe 10 drops on my floor in 24hrs.Ford cant even look at it until next week,leaving for havasu this thursday.Excuse my diesel motor or just motor ingnorance,but its leaking from below the exhaust manifolds,not the manifolds themselves but the chunk of metal those are attached to,I believe the heads.Both sides.Ive had heating issues with this truck since mile 1,then the innercooler went out,then the turbo,,,,,,,FOOOOOCKKKKKKKKKK
guy across the street is on his second Ford diesel (first on went back on lemon law) and it has leaks like yours and he says it's going back on the same deal, lemon law. NSF

shadow
06-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Turbo seals or you oil filter cover is loose would be my guess. Blown head gaskets rarely result in oil leaks.
Only way that oil filter cover would leak,is if when the oil was changed last the oring wasn't install properly or pinched or the cover it self wasn't tighend.
Either way the leak would imediately made a mess.

JB in so cal
06-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I just talked to him; he's in the service drive right now.
Darrell,
he said something about a wire pack or harness access point that may be leaking.??

Sherpa
06-27-2006, 04:36 PM
valve cover gasket maybe-? take 30 minutes and grab a ratchet, socket
and an extension and give em all a little tweek.....
--Sherpa

Waist Deep
06-27-2006, 04:37 PM
The under valve cover harness. So simple if so. Problem is the cost for the stealership to fix`it. They only cost 15 bucks @ the IH dealer in Bell.

shadow
06-27-2006, 04:40 PM
The under valve cover harness. So simple if so. Problem is the cost for the stealership to fix`it. They only cost 15 bucks @ the IH dealer in Bell.
You talking about a 7.3 glow plug harness?
RR has a 6.0.

Jrocket
06-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Put up a few pics of the oil areas.

riverroyal
06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
they said its the injector wiring harness???!!!!It has a Oring and they leak all the time.This truck is killin me,I have no faith in it at all,I only drive it from san diego to havasu,sits in the garage most of the time.Every trip I start thinking about breaking down in the desert.Thanks everyone for your help,if you see a white F250 4X4 4 door with the hood up,feel free to stop

BadKachina
06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Shadow, how hard is it to change a glow plug on a 7.3? I've had a code for about a year for a bad glow plug on #6 cylinder. Truck still starts and runs fine but I would like to turn the check engine light off.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-27-2006, 07:46 PM
If ya keep blowing head gasketts then it's time to look closely for cracks in the liners.
They (the cracks) run to the top of the cylinder,, and that is often where the blow out occurs.
Some mechanics never look that close.

cc322
06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
As much as I love FORDS I love my v10 that much more. They are right it is a hit and miss with that 6.0 stroke. Talked to a friend of mine today and his duramax gave him alot of trouble heading out to the river this past weekend, was running very hot and was leaking some kind of oil. So I quess they all have there quirks. BTW why did you get rid of your V10???? :cry:
The Night Before a V10 Christmas
‘Twas the night before Christmas
And all though the hood
There were Super Duty’s pullin’
Deliverin’ the goods.
When way down the street
There rose such a clatter
All the V10 owners
Had to see what was the matter
Out of his truck
He grumbled in rage
A Power Stroke owner
Had seen better days
Black smoke belched
But the beast would not start
Just sat in the drive
Like a sick old fart
The V10 owners
With their heads held high
Said, “That is the reason
No Diesels we drive!”
With 10 pistons burnin’
And 4 tires turnin’
They delivered their goods
To the youngsters a yernin’
On Crew Cab, on Super,
And Regular Cab too,
We’ll take care of Christmas
When the sick diesels won’t do
So when Chritsmas is close
And the children all hope
Don’t try to depend
On a sick Power Stroke
To deliver the goods
And make the kids smile
Get a V10
And count down the miles

Waist Deep
06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I thought all Fords 7.3 or 6.0 had the UVC harness that went to the injectors on each side. These are what I was thginking of. Not the glow plug.

Hardin18454
06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Throw the ford in the trash and get a Dodge w/ a cummins.

shadow
06-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Shadow, how hard is it to change a glow plug on a 7.3? I've had a code for about a year for a bad glow plug on #6 cylinder. Truck still starts and runs fine but I would like to turn the check engine light off.
Pretty simple pop off the valve cover and they are right there.The glow plu harness is there as well.Make sure it is not the harness or connection before you replace the glow plug.Otherwise you will have to do the job twice.

shadow
06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
I thought all Fords 7.3 or 6.0 had the UVC harness that went to the injectors on each side. These are what I was thginking of. Not the glow plug.
Similar,but on the 6.0 the glow plug harness doen't go under the valve cover
it runs along the outside of the cylinder head above the exhaust manifold.here's a pic of Chris Gibbons when i had it apart.You cant see the glow plug harness in this pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1502DSCF1730.JPG

Waist Deep
06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Now I know. Thank You. I assumed they were put together the same.

ultra27jay
06-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Similar,but on the 6.0 the glow plug harness doen't go under the valve cover
it runs along the outside of the cylinder head above the exhaust manifold.here's a pic of Chris Gibbons when i had it apart.You cant see the glow plug harness in this pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1502DSCF1730.JPG
GO SHADOW :rollside: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

riverroyal
06-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Sounds like another one may have come over to the good side, 31,000 on my D-Max and not a single complaint. Just hold out for another couple of weeks Steve, Toby will have his fully pimped 2500HD for sale, he'll probably make you a helluva deal to... :D :D Sorry to read the bad news, hopefully they will take care of you...
his truck is too tall,tow my 5th wheel,,his wouldnt work :rollside:

JB in so cal
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Just needed more cow bell!