PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon General Statement /2nd Hand Smoke

Her454
06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Sooooooooooo, with the announcment yesterday and all the controversy surrounding second hand smoke - how long do you think it will be before they actually do make it a "crime" to smoke around children. Think it will actually get to the "child endangerment" stage, and how will it be enforced?

Beer-30
06-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Long overdue.

doesitfloat?
06-28-2006, 08:39 AM
My mom smoked like a chimney around me when I was growing up. I remember almost not being able to see out of the car because of all the smoke (think Cheech & Chong!).
I have always thought that this has to have had an adverse affect on me (asthma).
What was the SG announcement (I can assume...)?

Ziggy
06-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Proof that second hand smoke is detrimental to ones health.........took a surgeon general to figure that one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I only read the first line of the article.....seemed like common sense.

syke-o
06-28-2006, 08:47 AM
i had asthma as a kid too.. my mom and stepdad smoked like crazy, then i would go to my dads on the weeknds where my step mom smoked.... i remember having to sleep out on the patio some nights because i couldnt breathe... no one really knew about second hand smoke back then though.... :220v:

schlepy
06-28-2006, 08:54 AM
off topic, but i remember hearing coffee was bad for you. just heard the news yesterday and after a 2 year study 4-6 cups a day are good to fight some kind of desease.
in 5 years smoking will be good for you again, always confused about whats good and bad for the body.

uvindex
06-28-2006, 08:58 AM
What was the SG announcement (I can assume...)?An excerpt from the press release: "The report, The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke, finds that even brief secondhand smoke exposure can cause immediate harm. The report says the only way to protect nonsmokers from the dangerous chemicals in secondhand smoke is to eliminate smoking indoors.
“The report is a crucial warning sign to nonsmokers and smokers alike,” HHS Secretary Michael Leavitt said. "Smoking can sicken and kill, and even people who do not smoke can be harmed by smoke from those who do.”
The Full Report (http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/)

uvindex
06-28-2006, 08:59 AM
off topic, but i remember hearing coffee was bad for you. just heard the news yesterday and after a 2 year study 4-6 cups a day are good to fight some kind of desease.Don't hold your breath waiting for a study saying cigarettes are good for you. :)

Gilligan
06-28-2006, 08:59 AM
no one really knew about second hand smoke back then though.... :220v:
Yes they did. They did not want to tell you. :)
Oh and smoking is White Trash. :rollside:

RAMROD
06-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I like going into a smoke filled bar. It helps my allergies, honest. :rollside:

RAMROD
06-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I also like the smell of unleaded gas when I'm filling up my car. :)

schlepy
06-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I also like the smell of unleaded gas when I'm filling up my car...
do you like to eat paint chips too???????

RAMROD
06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
do you like to eat paint chips too???????
I used to strike matches when I was little and then eat the burnt tips off the end.

Gilligan
06-28-2006, 09:52 AM
My neighbors mother let her kids play with mercury all the time!! :rollside:

BajaMike
06-28-2006, 10:09 AM
An excerpt from the press release: "The report, The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke, finds that even brief secondhand smoke exposure can cause immediate harm. The report says the only way to protect nonsmokers from the dangerous chemicals in secondhand smoke is to eliminate smoking indoors.
“The report is a crucial warning sign to nonsmokers and smokers alike,” HHS Secretary Michael Leavitt said. "Smoking can sicken and kill, and even people who do not smoke can be harmed by smoke from those who do.”
The Full Report (http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/)
I think it's a bunch of BS.....I'm sure it's not healthy but there is no way to quantify it.....more "social engineering" by the government.
I don't ever mind going in a smoking bar if there's good looking girls :D
And I don't smoke.

schlepy
06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
You live in California and you bitch about second hand smoke???????? Imagine if you could actually see the sky.....
ehhhhh...........

little rowe boat
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I wish they would make it illegal to smoke in a car, with a child in the same vehicle.

core attitude
06-28-2006, 10:55 AM
in 5 years smoking will be good for you again, always confused about whats good and bad for the body.
Again? I must me to young at 41 to remember a time it was EVER good for you.

Rexone
06-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Sooooooooooo, with the announcment yesterday and all the controversy surrounding second hand smoke - how long do you think it will be before they actually do make it a "crime" to smoke around children. Think it will actually get to the "child endangerment" stage, and how will it be enforced?
Oh like you had no role in prompting this action.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732topless-missboatnam1-her454a_copy.jpg