PDA

View Full Version : Did MTV Hurt Havasu?

Trailer Park Casanova
06-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Did it's shows in the past from LH expose it to the world & have a negative effect and bring in bad elements?
If so,, are residual bad effects still around?

mbrown2
06-28-2006, 08:47 PM
No; I have videos in the 80's and early 90's before MTV that show the lake and river more packed then it is now on big weekends.....and there were just as many hoodlums there then as there are now.....then it was long hair red necks, now it is long hair red necks on crack.....

Kilrtoy
06-28-2006, 08:56 PM
No! the clowns in office are ruining Lake Havasu.

HavasuSelect
If anything Havasu hurt MTV. They charged them outrageous taxes when they filmed Spring Break there. Thats why MTV hasn't been back. Another fine job by the local Havasu govt.

NOCTURNAL
Absolutely...after the they used Havasu for Spring Break in 1995, the lake has totally changed. 20' boats used to be large enough to handle the water, but now with the increased traffic, the afternoon chop beats the shit out of the small boats. Also, the town began to grow too much. Too many people, not enough infrastructure (launch ramps, etc). Havasu is only fun if you want to party. Has anyone tried to ski on the lake in the last few years? The water always has some chop - even down at the dam.

GRUNION
06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Absolutely...after the they used Havasu for Spring Break in 1995, the lake has totally changed. 20' boats used to be large enough to handle the water, but now with the increased traffic, the afternoon chop beats the shit out of the small boats. Also, the town began to grow too much. Too many people, not enough infrastructure (launch ramps, etc). Havasu is only fun if you want to party. Has anyone tried to ski on the lake in the last few years? The water is always got some chop - even down at the dam.
I remember in 95 mtv had crisscross <some kidband> play at kokomos and everyone laughed and left.

mbrown2
06-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Absolutely...after the they used Havasu for Spring Break in 1995, the lake has totally changed. 20' boats used to be large enough to handle the water, but now with the increased traffic, the afternoon chop beats the shit out of the small boats. Also, the town began to grow too much. Too many people, not enough infrastructure (launch ramps, etc). Havasu is only fun if you want to party. Has anyone tried to ski on the lake in the last few years? The water is always got some chop - even down at the dam.
Bigger Boats were taking off in 88/89 when the Sleekcraft Enforcer's came on the scene....blame it on Miami vice...then the Eliminator Daytona's started to grow in size, 24 - 27.....I doubt Sleek and Eliminator started making bigger boats due to MTV....
Kilr is right local gov has hurt...but what has caused growth more then anything is........
US....we would go with our parents, and bring friends or neighbors and they would like it just as much and start coming on their own...then they would bring two friends, and so on, and so on, and all the sudden you have what you have today urban sprawl.....MTV has held Spring Break lots of places...and the effects, positive or negative directly attributed to them are nominal.

MOBrien
06-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I remember in 95 mtv had crisscross <some kidband> play at kokomos and everyone laughed and left.
and they should have. Those guys were lame & sucked.

HavasuSelect
06-28-2006, 09:06 PM
and they should have. Those guys were lame & sucked.
I admit it. I went to a Criss Cross concert. However, I sure would have loved to see Biggie Smalls in Copper.

NOCTURNAL
06-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Bigger Boats were taking off in 88/89 when the Sleekcraft Enforcer's came on the scene....blame it on Miami vice...then the Eliminator Daytona's started to grow in size, 24 - 27.....I doubt Sleek and Eliminator started making bigger boats due to MTV....
Kilr is right local gov has hurt...but what has caused growth more then anything is........
US....we would go with our parents, and bring friends or neighbors and they would like it just as much and start coming on their own...then they would bring two friends, and so on, and so on, and all the sudden you have what you have today urban sprawl.....MTV has held Spring Break lots of places...and the effects, positive or negative directly attributed to them are nominal.
My point was that MTV created enormous exposure for the lake, and thus, more people began to come. I understand that boats were bigger than 20' before 1995, but the majority of boats on the water in the late 80's were 19-21'. On the big weekends you would see a rare offshore boat. One of the first I remember seeing was a big, all red Scarab. That thing would make nice wakes to jump the jet-ski off. Oh well, chicken or egg?

OGSHOCKER.
06-28-2006, 11:35 PM
My point was that MTV created enormous exposure for the lake, and thus, more people began to come. I understand that boats were bigger than 20' before 1995, but the majority of boats on the water in the late 80's were 19-21'. On the big weekends you would see a rare offshore boat. One of the first I remember seeing was a big, all red Scarab. That thing would make nice wakes to jump the jet-ski off. Oh well, chicken or egg?
IT HURT MY ASS

Kilrtoy
06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
IT HURT MY ASS
I thought you were blowin some guy in that pic, so the back side was a different shoot

OGShocker
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
I thought you were blowin some guy in that pic, so the back side was a different shoot
He might have been. Although I am not sure how he/she got on my boat.

Ultrafied
06-28-2006, 11:56 PM
No; I have videos in the 80's and early 90's before MTV that show the lake and river more packed then it is now on big weekends.....and there were just as many hoodlums there then as there are now.....then it was long hair red necks, now it is long hair red necks on crack.....
I have to disagree on that! The only thing happening was Copper Canyon. The channel was basically just for travelling, not all that much posing or beaching there (very little sand then!). The sand bar was just that, a sand bar that you may avoid, or stop at.
After MTV and the Spring Break, it has been a larger and larger migration! Just my 2 cents ... :D

Kilrtoy
06-28-2006, 11:58 PM
I have to disagree on that! The only thing happening was Copper Canyon. The channel was basically just for travelling, not all that much posing or beaching there (very little sand then!). The sand bar was just that, a sand bar that you may avoid, or stop at.
After MTV and the Spring Break, it has been a larger and larger migration! Just my 2 cents ... :D
but half of the people here today were no older than 14, so that cant account for that much

Ultrafied
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
LOL, there were a few older. Then again, Havasu City was a LOT smaller, and the tourists would actually come to see the bridge and walk around the Village. A lot of flat bottoms. You could actually run up and down Speed Alley without worries! :D

NOTALENT
06-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Chris cross to make ya, JUMP JUMP!! (something like that...) haha....what nobody liked backwards pant wearing, oversize shirt little girls rapping.. :crossx:

455Rocket
06-29-2006, 06:23 AM
AMEN...
...anyone want to buy a 19' Nordic? :boxed:

Relaxalot
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Everyone blames the rough water on the big boats. I am aware that the larger heavier boats make a larger wake especially when they plowing. That is when they remind me of all of the wake board boats plowing around at 25 mph making huge wakes. I think this is one of the most overlooked wavemakers out there. I am always just as careful approaching a wakeboard boat as a 32 footer. Most of the time the wakeboard boat's wake is much worse.

Kilrtoy
06-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Everyone blames the rough water on the big boats. I am aware that the larger heavier boats make a larger wake especially when they plowing. That is when they remind me of all of the wake board boats plowing around at 25 mph making huge wakes. I think this is one of the most overlooked wavemakers out there. I am always just as careful approaching a wakeboard boat as a 32 footer. Most of the time the wakeboard boat's wake is much worse.
RIGHT ON, I HATE THOSE DAMN BOATS I WISH THEY WOULD STAY OUT OF HERE :220v:

Bense468
06-29-2006, 12:37 PM
That and the guy with the 22 ft wellcraft draggin ass all the way down the lake. Those wakes suck...I hate when I get stuck in between two of them.