PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken a DCB Mach 26 to catalina?

ONE 4 SPECTRA
01-31-2002, 09:24 AM
Has anyone taken a DCB Mach 26 to catalina?
I think it should run good but just wondering if anyone has run it. How long does it take?

Skaterfast
01-31-2002, 10:04 AM
I left from Huntington Harbour at 8am in my 24 Skater last year.It's 33 Nautical miles and I averaged 61mph.Seas were average.Leave at sun up if you have women or children.It's not a trip to be taken lightly.You need at the very minimum a compass,flairs,and a hand held radio.

MrHavasuCat
01-31-2002, 10:11 AM
That could be a hairy ride. It can get very rough in the channel between Catalina and the coast, as well as foggy. I think you could do it, but I don't know if I would try it it mine. Make sure you have a gps and a marine radio at the least.

Fat Chance
01-31-2002, 10:57 AM
I've done it in my 250 Hallett, moderate seas (2'-3') and it took about 40 minutes w/ a soda stop mid channel. It was a piece of cake, lot's of fun. The habor master will meet you as you arrive and you can rent a mooring and get a water taxi to shore. It's pretty bitchen. I'd recommend GPS, ship to shore, etc...

gimprvr
01-31-2002, 11:21 AM
SKATERFAST says has some video of his trip. He said he will post one part where it shows him getting at least 300ft of air!!!

boatnam2
01-31-2002, 11:37 AM
i took my 26ft american offshore a few miles out before.cant say i recommend it.there's a big difference between big lake water and the ocean were there are a lot of holes just inviting you to stuff it.

JimK
01-31-2002, 01:51 PM
We took our 22' Howard open bow and had an interesting ride. First off, make sure you have a compass, a VHF, and a chart with someone who can read it. Next, be ready for limited visibility; we couldn't see Catalina until we were almost there! Watch out for the wakes from cruise ships, freighters, very large yachts, etc. Kinda like those big waves in "The Perfect Storm" http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Then, the wind came up on the way back and we had to deal with large amounts of salt water spray coming in at just about where I was driving from. It was fun, we were actually safe (lifejackets, flares, etc.) but one time was just enough fun. I'll stay on Lake Mead from now on.

Thunderbutt
01-31-2002, 02:18 PM
In the 60's and 70's 18 foot flatbottoms and some small outboards would be in the Catalina race. They start the race early to get calm seas, but that doesn't alwayes happen. If you call the Coast Guard they can tell what the weather will be the next day. Its the long swells that hurt. Take a compass and some flares.
Skaterfast, If you averaged 61mph. you should hook up with a Ski racer you might win the race

Skaterfast
01-31-2002, 02:31 PM
Already way ahead of you Thunderbutt.I inquired about pulling someone last year.The problem is my Skater does not break up the water enough for the skier.If you have ever watched the race the lead boats are bow down and plowing to brake up the water for the skier.I was at the turn boat 2 years ago and wathed over 100 boats go by and there was only one tunnel boat.Stoker 20'.

gimprvr
01-31-2002, 03:07 PM
SKATERFAST
"and wathed over 100 boats go by"
Wathed, is this a racing term?

hottrodder
01-31-2002, 04:46 PM
Two years ago I participated in the ski race in Formula 1 with my friend in his 21' Spectra. Pretty calm seas that year. We only took a couple over the bow and finished second in our class with a time of 1 Hour 20something minutes.
Last year after the 3 hour delay the same boat (different crew) had the deck delaminate for a 6' stretch at the rub rail on the way to the start. But we'll be back in August!

Charley
02-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Ok Ok when I was young dumb and full of c.. well you know, I took my little 21' Eliminator daytona from marine stadium in Long Beach and ventured out into the breakwater...Damn it took 3 rollers and less than 1 minute for me to realize what a bad decision I had made....I'm still here but the girl I took in the boat that day left me hehehe...MY .02? Flares,Radio and have some freeboard and DON'T get in the breakwater without 2 screws,,,If your in a single and it dies you have just lost your advantage and you are at the mercy of a very powerful force.....

MrHavasuCat
02-04-2002, 09:40 AM
Charleys right about the freeboard. I have been to Catalina in a 18' center console fishing boat, but this boat had more freeboard than my Mach. I would not try it, but if you do, make sure it is calm for the trip over and plan on staying the night. In the afternoon I have seen that channel get nasty.

Charley
02-04-2002, 10:47 AM
hey Chris.....how was Hawaii?

MrHavasuCat
02-04-2002, 11:09 AM
It was awesome. I started looking at the cost of houses on Maui on the internet the day we came home. They are a little expensive to say the least. I could definitely live there, the weather was awesome and the place is laid back. It rained almost every day but it was 80 degrees so it did not matter.
It would be an awesome place to boat as well. We went out on a 70' cat with twin turbo diesels in about 8'-10' swells. awsome ride. I can't wait to go back!!

sea buddy
02-11-2002, 05:16 AM
Try a Scarab 30'

Coughlin's Law
02-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Cruised the channel about a year ago from Dana Point for breakfast burritos in Avalon in my buddy's 26 Stoker.
(Hopefully this picture will show up)
-Coughlin

1quickjet
02-11-2002, 07:43 PM
MrHavasuCat, just got back from Maui too. I was inquiring about some performance boating over there, but was told its not allowed right now because of the whales. I was hoping to rent a Fountain or something. Anyway, I was surprised to find that some of those snorkel boats have jet drives! Not exactly high performance boating, but interesting none the less. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

MrHavasuCat
02-12-2002, 03:14 PM
I figured that there were probably some laws restricting high performance boats, but the guy I talked to really did not know. He said that he knew of one guy on the Island that owned a Cigarette and trailered it to the water on good days. With the whales migrating so close to the Island I guess it would make sense, anyways the place was great and I can't wait to go back.

VitaminSea
02-13-2002, 09:55 AM
I done the run numerous times but only once in my 26 scarab. The second time I was about ten miles offshore and grabbed a lot of air off a swell. When I came down, I didn't get back on the foot thottle fast enough and the drive went. (That was only a $5500 trip.)The boat stays at Havasu now. I also had ship to shore, GPS, compass but I came home on a tow rope behind a 35 foot sail boat. Was embarassing to say the least but we did get home. Cliff

MrHavasuCat
02-14-2002, 10:16 AM
Don't feel bad, I was towed by a pwc once.

deserteagle
02-14-2002, 10:55 AM
keep your mach26 in fresh water.