PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an icemaker?

MagicMtnDan
07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Which one's best? i need an icemaker - my freezer's icemaker can't keep up with all the cold drinks we consume.
I prefer not to get a unit that requires a drain or installed water line unless that's the best way to go.
Anyone own one of these?
Costco's icemaker (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11126318&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1)
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/110567L.jpg
Frontgate's icemaker (looks like the Costco unit but way more expensive) (http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?sort=-1&itemType=PRODUCT&AS=1&keyword=icemaker&itemID=207&iProductID=207)

HocusPocus
07-03-2006, 08:44 AM
i doubt that costco one would be any better then what you already have in your fridge. sometimes you can find good deals in the traders on used ice makers. we bought one that makes cubes years ago from a hotel that was upgrading. i would like to find one that makes the soft crushed ice.

Sherpa
07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
the costco one looks real insteresting....... here is some data if I remember
correctly.
it makes 30 pounds of ice per day........ but, the resevoir only holds like
2gals.......... (equal to about 16 pounds of ice....) they say you must
unplug it when not in use. (remember you'd have to keep up with pouring
water into it to keep it going.) I don't know if it has an "autostop" feature
for when it's full, but still has water ready to make more ice. it should.
I think it runs on 120, 15 service with a grounded plug....
looks pretty neat if you really needed ice alot for outings in the summer...
--Sherpa

Ziggy
07-03-2006, 08:55 AM
My wife is an anti ice buyer....I say we need 2 bags, she'll cheap out and get one so near the end of the day were drink cool drinks, not cold.
We'll suppliment the cooler with Hi-Tech ice(refreezable gel-like sheets of plastic)......seems to work ok for 90% of our day trips.
Getting her to buy into an icemaker would be fruitless for me.:D

El Chingon
07-03-2006, 09:14 AM
the costco one looks real insteresting....... here is some data if I remember
correctly.
it makes 30 pounds of ice per day........ but, the resevoir only holds like
2gals.......... (equal to about 16 pounds of ice....) they say you must
unplug it when not in use. (remember you'd have to keep up with pouring
water into it to keep it going.) I don't know if it has an "autostop" feature
for when it's full, but still has water ready to make more ice. it should.
I think it runs on 120, 15 service with a grounded plug....
looks pretty neat if you really needed ice alot for outings in the summer...
--Sherpa
I recently bought this one for my bro's haouse in havi. It works well as long as you keep up on filling it with water and keep emptying the bin. It has an autostop feature when the bin is full. I would just keep pouring the ice into a market bag and putting it in the freezer. Best thing is i got the display for $100. Don't think we are getting anymore this season. I could do a serch for you if you're interested. Company is out of city of industry.

KLEPTOW
07-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I have one of the Ice-O-Matic 220 in my garage, It does need a water supply, but for the drian i ran a garden hose out the door into one of my planters.
These are getting hard to find a good deal on but if your making a lot of trips to buy ice it will pay for it's self over time.
http://www.iceomatic.com/nafemproducts.asp?article=ICEU220_Undercounter_ICE _Maker&poc=ice

Mtg Pro
07-03-2006, 01:27 PM
I have the one shown from costco. It works real well in keeping up with demand for additional ice. It shuts off when the basket gets too full or when the water level is low.

little rowe boat
07-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I have the one shown from costco. It works real well in keeping up with demand for additional ice. It shuts off when the basket gets too full or when the water level is low.
Will it keep the ice stored for lets say a couple of weeks or does it just make the ice and then when finished it must be shut off??

CMATT21
07-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I have a buddy that has been using dry ice. He loaded up a small cooler with one small block. It lasted all day a keep things super cool. He said the drinks were colder than the refrigeratror. Food was cold as well and keep further from the ice. He got home after a day at the beach and the block had shrunk maybe a quarter inch. You have to insulate the ice by placing a towel over it. Also have to be carefull touching it. I haven't tried it in Havi weather yet. The by product is of course Co2. I don't know if that is good to have in enclosed spaces like a boat. You should have some ventilation and NO AIR TIGHT CONTAINERS. Any one have experinece with this stuff? You can keep the next days block in another ice chest. Sounds like a good idea. No more trips for extra ice or expensive ice makers. What do you guys think? :boxed:

Havasu1986
07-03-2006, 04:38 PM
I bought a used commercial ice machine from a restaraunt supply house. Hooked it up to a water supply in my garage in Havi. I bought a coffin type freezer from Home Depot. I make it then I put the ice in 1 gal. bags and put it in the freezer. Some people on the boards say that it won't work in the heat. Well I got into town on Fri @11 am with 110 heat and bad humidity, by the next morning I filled up about 15 bags. I probably have over $1200 invested. But we never have to stop for ice. Time is money.

48OFF
07-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I have a beer fridge in my shop that has an icemaker. I was not useing the freezer at all and thought about buying a icemaker like the ones above from a resturaunt supply. Then I got the bright idea to not use the little ice bin that all freezers have and replace it with a bin the size of the entire freezer. In about 4 days I have enough to fill a 60 quart cooler. This is the 3rd year I have had free ice in the boat cooler 24 hours a day. I live on the lake so this is important. Total cost is less than $20 for the bin and 2 icemaker hoses run outside to the hose bib. I got a 1 into 4 hose hook up so it can be on all the time and still use the garden hose.

Havasu1986
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Good idea. Why do you need 2 hoses for the ice maker, and if your not there how does it shut off.

48OFF
07-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Because it is about 20ft from the hose bib, and had to be hooked end to end.I forgot to explain that part. If yours is closer one will do just fine.
It does not matter if you are home because it will still turn off when it gets full, and the wire arm gets lifted up.