PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Marathons - not marathons

2Driver
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, missed today on the water but the pretrailering inspection paid off. Nice bubble and tread seperation on the 2-year old goodyears radial marathons. They are known for this according to the guy at discount. New set of Greenballs here I come.
Boat only has 40 hours on it. :rolleyes:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347IMG_2293.JPG

CBadDad
07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Those are only two years old? How many miles you got on them?
Good reminder here for everyone to check their tires before they hit the road. I see so many peeps on the side of the road changing their trailer tires in 115 degrre heat. That's gotta suck!

2Driver
07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Those are only two years old? How many miles you got on them?
Good reminder here for everyone to check their tires before they hit the road. I see so many peeps on the side of the road changing their trailer tires in 115 degrre heat. That's gotta suck!
3 trips to the river and 4 to the very local lake ..3K max. Boat only has 40 hours on it. I always run them at full pressure and never over 65 MPH.

Throttle
07-04-2006, 01:23 PM
3 trips to the river and 4 to the very local lake ..3K max. Boat only has 40 hours on it. I always run them at full pressure and never over 65 MPH.
sounds like "lack of use"

Huckleberry
07-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Greenballs are the bomb for trailer tires. I had two sets of tires go out on my old Lavey and finally replaced them with Greenballs. Problems solved!

CARRERA
07-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Greenballs are the bomb for trailer tires. I had two sets of tires go out on my old Lavey and finally replaced them with Greenballs. Problems solved!
Who makes the Greenballs, and what's the $$$?

2Driver
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Who makes the Greenballs, and what's the $$$?
http://www.greenball.com/tires/towmasterv.htm get the Towmaster V. Very reasonable and less than Goodyears POS. I ran them on a previous boat but used the bias. This time I'll get the radial Towmaster V
THank you towmaster :D :D Get them at Discount tire.

Huckleberry
07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Greenball is the tire manfacturer. They specialize in truck, trailer, and special equipment tires. They were about the same price or less than Marathons. They can be tough to find though. When I bought mine, Discount Tire couldn't get them. I went to Corona Wheel & Tire on Railroad St. They had them in stock.

spectras only
07-04-2006, 09:29 PM
2Driver , are you sure your tandem axels run parallel :idea: ? My Marathons didn't wear like that after 10 yrs !

Huckleberry
07-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Yep, what 2Driver said...Get the Towmaster V's.

BadKachina
07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I ditched all my Marathons and went to Towmasters last year, two of the pos Towmasters seperated, one three weeks ago, one last week. Tires aren't even a year old yet. At least they pro-rated them for me at Big-O, but guess who gets to pay for my f-d up fender........... :rolleyes: :mad:

77charger
07-04-2006, 09:49 PM
I have run marathons on boat tailer and toyhauler never a problem have had towmasters and they all of a sudden started wearing funny next thing bald.Alot of people hav had them trouble free too.I have heard good about the green balls too so i guess you will be ok.
trailer tires should be replaced every 3 years regardless and if they sit in one spot for a longer than month is not a good thing.