PDA

View Full Version : optima battery charging question...........

Nord
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I have 2 blue top optimas that I have been charging on a 2 amp trickle charge. My charger broke, so I need to buy a new charger, but I have found out there are many different opinions on charging these batteries.
Until I get my charger back, I was going to buy a basic charger with a 2 amp trickle option.
Any opinions????
Thanks
~NORD~

uvindex
07-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Here are the manufacturer requirements:
Alternator:
13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.
Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.
Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature < 125°F (51.7°C).
Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.
Float charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
Manufacturer Site (http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/marine/technical_specs.html)

casean
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I have 2 blue top optimas that I have been charging on a 2 amp trickle charge. My charger broke, so I need to buy a new charger, but I have found out there are many different opinions on charging these batteries.
Until I get my charger back, I was going to buy a basic charger with a 2 amp trickle option.
Any opinions????
Thanks
~NORD~
I'm using an onboard charger by Cul-M-Rite to charger our two blue top Optima batteries. Been running this way since the beginning of April and so far no problems.
Pro-Pak (http://www.culmrite.com/culmrite/mall/marine.php#ProPak)

Nord
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
So does that mean I can't put a 2 amp trickle overnight to these batteries that are ran parellel???

uvindex
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
So does that mean I can't put a 2 amp trickle overnight to these batteries that are ran parellel???Again according to the Optima site:
It's fine to charge them in parallel as long as they're "identical make, model, and of similar age."
It's also fine to trickle charge them, "as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one amp maximum current."
Have fun! :)

Tom Brown
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
You're OK with the 2A charge rate but you won't bring them back from flat with an overnight charge at that rate. Also, it's rude to put an Optima on trickle charge indefinitely. It will vent it's water and there's no way to replace it.
I would go to Walmart and pick up a Schumacher automatic charger. They aren't a lot of money. A 10A auto charger would be gentle on your two blue tops. It will shut off when it's done and it will have an indicator to show full too.

rivercrazy
07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
I would go to Walmart and pick up a Schumacher automatic charger. They aren't a lot of money. A 10A auto charger would be gentle on your two blue tops. It will shut off when it's done and it will have an indicator to show full too.
I have 3 optima blues that are 6 summers old. Two of them are wired in parallel driving a 2200 watt stereo. They are still going strong like new. I attribute this to a Schumacher automatic 10 amp charger. The batteries are topped off everytime the boat is used.

Beer-30
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Alot of work went into this thread. Some great info here:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119203&highlight=gel+agm

Jyruiz
07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
I have 3 optima blues that are 6 summers old. Two of them are wired in parallel driving a 2200 watt stereo. They are still going strong like new. I attribute this to a Schumacher automatic 10 amp charger. The batteries are topped off everytime the boat is used.
Good to know, I just ordered this one (http://www.batterychargers.com/details.cfm?prodid=SC%2D6000A&catid=2) and though I don't have Optimas, I wanted the charger to be prepared for any type of battery I get in the future.

WYRD
07-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Again according to the Optima site:
It's fine to charge them in parallel as long as they're "identical make, model, and of similar age."
It's also fine to trickle charge them, "as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one amp maximum current."
Have fun! :)
I did this with two that were not bought at the same time, about a year apart, both batteries went completely dead and wouldn't charge. I now have three in parallel and have not had a problem at all(almost a year on them)just make sure they are the SAME brand and manuf date.
WYRD

Nord
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I thought if you charged them slow(2amp trickle) they would last longer with my stereo than a 10amp. I have the exact battery charger that you guys posted (Schaefer speed charge 6000a) just wanted to be sure that the 10/30amp option was the best.........

Cole Trickle
07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
<------ Thinks you might need more than 2 Optimas to play that monster of a stereo!!! :220v: :idea:
Can you even get a whole hour of play time when your banging it hard?
My next boat might have square speakers;) :crossx:

Nord
07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
<------ Thinks you might need more than 2 Optimas to play that monster of a stereo!!! :220v: :idea:
Can you even get a whole hour of play time when your banging it hard?
My next boat might have square speakers;) :crossx:
If the boat isn't running, I think I'd be lucky to get an hour!!!! lol...........
Its pretty loud. :boxed:

RiverDave
07-05-2006, 10:44 PM
I thought if you charged them slow(2amp trickle) they would last longer with my stereo than a 10amp. I have the exact battery charger that you guys posted (Schaefer speed charge 6000a) just wanted to be sure that the 10/30amp option was the best.........
I hate to say I told you sooooo..... but "I TOLD YA SO!!!" :D
RD

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
I have 3 blue top's that I charge in parallel each night just like this....
Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.
Going on 3rd year with each of them.....
CJG
:)