PDA

View Full Version : Any divers in the house?

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I want to get my open water cert this month.I just want to know a few things to look for in choosing a shop for the training/class. I found a place that has it for a 100.00 I think it's 4 weeks with classroom and pool training. I think 2 test at the end. How much am I lookin at for gear after I get the cert. Thanks for any info

jdogginla
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
First off......the blow up pool u got at Toys R Us doesn't qualify as pool training. Secondly, water wings are on sale right now at Wall-Mart.
Check with Sport Challet.......they have a class and then offer discounts on rental gear and purchases.

KACHINA KEN
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
I want to get my open water cert this month.I just want to know a few things to look for in choosing a shop for the training/class. I found a place that has it for a 100.00 I think it's 4 weeks with classroom and pool training. I think 2 test at the end. How much am I lookin at for gear after I get the cert. Thanks for any info
Call up El Mar on Broadway, they will set you in a good course of training, I'm working on rescue diver cert right now. don't worry about buying your gear yet, just get your ass in class and the pool.

Drift
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I've got my Master Diver, Dry Suit, Wreck, Night and Rescue certs. You should be looking to spend a couple G's for gear if you are into it. Your class will generally force you to buy you basic essentials [hood, gloves, booties, mask, snorkle and fins]. Sport Challet is a good place to learn and the have several in-house facilities to train at. Sport Challet is a PADI school (most widely recognized school) and if you are not near a Sport Challet, I would strongly recomend you get your initial training from a NAUI training facility. If you have any ?'s I'd be more than happy to help you out.

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Call up El Mar on Broadway, they will set you in a good course of training, I'm working on rescue diver cert right now. don't worry about buying your gear yet, just get your ass in class and the pool.Lol thanks I will check them out today.

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 02:32 PM
I've got my Master Diver, Dry Suit, Wreck, Night and Rescue certs. You should be looking to spend a couple G's for gear if you are into it. Your class will generally force you to buy you basic essentials [hood, gloves, booties, mask, snorkle and fins]. Sport Challet is a good place to learn and the have several in-house facilities to train at. Sport Challet is a PADI school (most widely recognized school) and if you are not near a Sport Challet, I would strongly recomend you get your initial training from a NAUI training facility. If you have any ?'s I'd be more than happy to help you out.The place I looked at yesterday on the net is PADI, I looked into this about 6yrs ago and just never got around to it, I know I'll have to spring for the basics I'm prepared for that, just want to make sure I am getting my moneys worth on the training part of it. Thanks for the info.

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 02:33 PM
First off......the blow up pool u got at Toys R Us doesn't qualify as pool training. Secondly, water wings are on sale right now at Wall-Mart.
Check with Sport Challet.......they have a class and then offer discounts on rental gear and purchases.Jason you are a tard, lol :yuk: see you later.

kanedog
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
$2500-$3000 for gear after certification. there are a lot of choices with gear and prices , so have fun, be safe and good luck!!!!!!!!

Drift
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Flea, my personal opinion would be that you should go with a NAUI certification first, then switch over to PADI. NAUI is a little harder course wise and their Dive tables are more conservative. I think it gives beginner divers a better and safer foundation. Don't get me wrong, several of my certs are PADI and they will teach you well, but they are definately tuned more towards the resort style of diver.

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Flea, my personal opinion would be that you should go with a NAUI certification first, then switch over to PADI. NAUI is a little harder course wise and their Dive tables are more conservative. I think it gives beginner divers a better and safer foundation. Don't get me wrong, several of my certs are PADI and they will teach you well, but they are definately tuned more towards the resort style of diver.Ok Drift thanks for the info, I will do a little research before I committ to someone.

Phat Daddy
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Send J540 a pm, he dives.

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Send J540 a pm, he dives.Thanks PD i'll hit him up.

H20 Toie
07-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Get that cert Flea and well go diving, i havn't gone in a few years but i'm ready to go again.

wildbillg
07-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Ive been certified since about 1979 and got re certified in 1995, been on tons and tons of dives from boat to surf and lots of night dives, You will love it and as far as the gear goes you can spend as mush as 4-5 k on owning your own gear, might want to first invest in a good wet suit to own and then just rent equipment for a bit, just pick up stuff as you go along.
You will love it, ...................

TrojanDan
07-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Ive been certified since about 1979 and got re certified in 1995, been on tons and tons of dives from boat to surf and lots of night dives, You will love it and as far as the gear goes you can spend as mush as 4-5 k on owning your own gear, might want to first invest in a good wet suit to own and then just rent equipment for a bit, just pick up stuff as you go along.
You will love it, ...................
WildBillG,
Who in town rents tanks and gear? It looks like the dive shop up on McCulloch closed up (Aquatropics). I drove there this afternoon looking to rent gear for tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing some treasure hunting in the coves.
Thanks,
Dan
FleaDiddy,
About $3k in gear after certification. Don't buy the cheap stuff. :cool:

clownpuncher
07-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Froggystyle has taken a diving lesson or two. Although his expertise may be minimal :p , I hear he has pretty good knowledge of the pimp shit for diving. :rollside: Not to speak out of turn, but, I'd bet he'd be willing to offer some advice to a fellow newbie as far as equipment and such
ROC

wildbillg
07-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Thats the only one I know of in town....
maybe they are just on a dive trip and closed for a few days ( this is havasu)
I need to do some dives here, I have moved here 6 years ago and not been diving since @@E@#QW Stupid stupid stupid.....
WildBillG,
Who in town rents tanks and gear? It looks like the dive shop up on McCulloch closed up (Aquatropics). I drove there this afternoon looking to rent gear for tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing some treasure hunting in the coves.
Thanks,
Dan
FleaDiddy,
About $3k in gear after certification. Don't buy the cheap stuff. :cool:

KACHINA KEN
07-05-2006, 08:37 PM
you guys are talkin nonsense.
I PAID THE FOLLOWING
Tusa Pro Cubic3 rear inflate BC $400
Tusa regs$ 375 + $200 for a Genesis console
Atomic PI Secondary $150
Henerson 7/5 wetsuit $300
35 lbs of lead $70
Mask $120
Fins $80
Snorkel$25
Hood $45
Gloves $35
A lil over $1800.00 for great gear, you quoting these ridiculous $$$ isn't going to help anyone want to get into this sport. 5K for diving gear??? what is that a quote on, a re-breather (allows you to reuse air and blow no bubbles) c'mon guys geeezzzsh.

wildbillg
07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Oceanic GT 3 CDX-5 Regulator
$439.99
Oceanic Datamax
ProPlus 2 with Q/D
and Compass
$754.99
Mares Vector 1000 AT (BCD) w/ MRS
Options:
$579.00
this is only if you want to buy some good stuff and that IS retail numbers
thats only the regulator, computer and Bc
I like to use good stuff to keep me breathing underwater since im not a fish..

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Not to shit on anyone lol but I did some looking and I ended up way under 5k. I just plan on doing shallow dives 40-60' nothing crazy. I do understand why you would want the best of everything but..............Anyways thanks for all the info guys I'll keep you posted.

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Get that cert Flea and well go diving, i havn't gone in a few years but i'm ready to go again.Sounds like a plan Dan I'll keep you posted.

Drift
07-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Absolute things to get the "best" of...
Fins: SPLIT FINS, no if's and's or but's about them. The best fins are substanially more efficient than your typical dive fins. This means better air conservation, and alot less work. My choice are Apollo Split fins... they are spendy but probably my #1 best purchase I've done.
Regulator: A great regulator is Small ( less fatigue in your jaw muscles), adjustable (The deeper you go the more air you can flow though the mouthpiece / also great for rescue and strenious surfline type of diving. Will have a fair amount of brass internals. This condenses your breath and keeps you from getting cotton mouth.
Dive computer: Diving on tabels is pathetic compared to diving with a computer. You can dive more with greater accuracy and safety. I will not dive without one (or two). The best are Air integrated, and mine is also wireless.
Weight integrated BC. No weightbelt around your waist. "Wing" type rear inflate with integrated backup/emergency regulator- inflator. very streamlined.
There is a common thread that you want to achieve with all your gear... Energy conservation means air conservation = longer time underwater.
KEEP IN MIND: Diving is a "techy" type of sport. Can you spend 5k on gear...absolutely with minimal effort. Can you go diving on a Beer budget...absolutely also with minimal effort. Renting is a great way to go. The average diver dives less than 10 times a year. As a matter of fact the most a sport diver dives is usually when taking classes. It can be hard to justify high dollar gear expenses with so little diving, so take this into consideration. It's like buying a 100mph boat and never going beyond the channel... Did I say that out loud?
I would hate to say go and buy all this gear without trying it first. I've seen some of the most enthusiastic guys go for their 1st openwater dive only to freak out so much that they can't calm down enough to even go under water.
I've also seen lifeguards and expert level surfers and swimmers not be able to equalize their ears and could not go below 15'. So there is a certain level of uncertainty at this point.
Your attitude towards diving is awsome and it is a fantastic sport, as any diver will tell you... sign up and get started. Bring a friend! By CA law you will be forced to dive with a buddy, so It's best to start with another beginner friend,you can share the experiences.

FLEA DIDDY
07-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Your attitude towards diving is awsome and it is a fantastic sport, as any diver will tell you... sign up and get started. Bring a friend! By CA law you will be forced to dive with a buddy, so It's best to start with another beginner friend,you can share the experiences.Thanks Drift, Man i'm getting butterflys lol. I'm getting ancy to say the least. My wife and I are going to take the class together so that way I always have a someone to dive with. :rollside:

H20 Toie
07-06-2006, 07:17 AM
yep you are better off renting gear for at least the first year and if you keep going by then you will know what you like and won't have wasted thousands on equipment that your not using. i bought my wife all her gear and it's in perfect shape since after she got her cert she went twice.

Drift
07-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks Drift, Man i'm getting butterflys lol. I'm getting ancy to say the least. My wife and I are going to take the class together so that way I always have a someone to dive with. :rollside:
You are sooo stoked! That opens up endless resort / travel opportunities for you. Now I've got to look up a boat trip to San Clemente Island. Water's in the 70's
:p

cdog
07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
MY wife and I are Padi cert.. We have been to Fiji and Belize on dive trips. So far the Padi dive centers have had decent equipment. We bought masks, snorkles, gloves, fins, and booties. Every year we go we buy more equipment. This year I may buy a wet suit. What you buy depends on where you dive. Don't go and waist your money untill you know you like it and will go at least 1-2 times a year.
We're going to the Dominican Republic over thanksgiving for some wreck diving. Good luck.

TrojanDan
07-06-2006, 10:23 AM
you guys are talkin nonsense.
I PAID THE FOLLOWING
Tusa Pro Cubic3 rear inflate BC $400
Tusa regs$ 375 + $200 for a Genesis console
Atomic PI Secondary $150
Henerson 7/5 wetsuit $300
35 lbs of lead $70
Mask $120
Fins $80
Snorkel$25
Hood $45
Gloves $35
A lil over $1800.00 for great gear, you quoting these ridiculous $$$ isn't going to help anyone want to get into this sport. 5K for diving gear??? what is that a quote on, a re-breather (allows you to reuse air and blow no bubbles) c'mon guys geeezzzsh.
No wonder you can get away for $1,800. Only one wetsuit? Do you dive in the tropics with that 7/5? :D In addition to my Henderson 7/5 for Catalina, I have a 3m Henderson shorty for tropics, and a full 3m Henderson for Florida in the winter. You have no budget for a knife, flashlight, safety sausage, gear bags, booties, etc...
Like other smart people said here, rent first so you now what you like. I ended up with ScubaPro BC's and Regulators and a Oceanic hoseless computer that sucks ass!

Panic Button
07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
The wife and I dive about 5-6 times a year all over the world (Advance OW, Rescue certified (PADI) and cave certified (NACD). If you are serious about diving get the best Regs you can buy. We dive with Apex and Zeagles (double of both for cave diving). Also rent a BC, if you really get into diving you will dump the BC and get a backplate and wings, Dive Rite or OMS. I have 4 brand new BC's that have about 5 dives on them and will never be used again. BC squeeze you wings do not. I dive with a VR3 computer and my wife uses a Nitek3. Several times while diving we have gone in deco mode, and they are well worth the money. With all our gear we are into about $4k+ a piece on equipment...