PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Charger Boost Upgrade

Wizard29
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Thinking of upgrading the Pro-Charger on my 496 from 3.5 PSI to 5 PSI. This requires a different pulley, drive belt, and fuel system upgrade...$925.00 total.
CP Performance can get the parts, but their tech department advises against this upgrade saying it is likely to smoke the engine in a short period of time. Apparently even with the fuel system upgrade the system doesn't get calibrated properly and runs lean to rich intermittently and really screws things up.
Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this?

GRUNION
07-05-2006, 06:36 PM
There are alot of other reasons besides the fuel problem that will give you troubleson a 496, one is cast parts they are not designed for boost. As for the fuel map system you can have your computer flased to take care of that AZ speed and marine did mine. I have a 502 though.

Hotcobra270
07-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm also thinking about supercharging my 496HO...
I stopped by teague marine and they told me that whipple is the way to go..
I asked why, and the tech guy stated that they dont touch procharge due to
lack of dependability (not sure)....
I would be worried about it damaging my motor, but doesnt procharger give a one year warrantee on it?

GRUNION
07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
there is no differance in dependability just in customer service. Procharger all the way.

Wizard29
07-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I've been running this Procharger for more than a year now, and no problems whatsoever. Just change the oil at the correct interval, and they seem to hold up fine.
Hotcobra, I read something on their website about a three year warranty, but I don't know the details. Also, depending on the space available around your engine in the compartment, you may have to section out a part of the floor. That is what had to be done on my Wizard when the Procharger was installed.

Wizard29
07-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Bump for the day...

Beer-30
07-06-2006, 07:57 AM
I would be the first to say go for it, but I don't see how you won't lose a piston....or two......or. 3.5 is pretty safe, 5 is definitely borrowed time. People are breaking ring lands daily with normally aspirated motors of less HP than you are at with 3.5lbs.
I would be happy with what you have and just look forward to what you will build to replace it. Just my take on it.

THOR
07-06-2006, 08:05 AM
What is the HP gains with 3.5 PSI and 5 PSI? I am curious.

Hotcobra270
07-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I've been running this Procharger for more than a year now, and no problems whatsoever. Just change the oil at the correct interval, and they seem to hold up fine.
Hotcobra, I read something on their website about a three year warranty, but I don't know the details. Also, depending on the space available around your engine in the compartment, you may have to section out a part of the floor. That is what had to be done on my Wizard when the Procharger was installed.
Wondering how much the total set up cost with everything? I'm assuming I'd have to change my bravo 1 prop to something beefier right?
Im looking at april's ***boat mag and it says that the
on the 496mag 3.5 psi will get you to 550HP and 5.0 psi will get you to 590HP.
If you have the HO you'll get 580HP with 3.5 psi and 625HP with 5.0 psi..
The article doesnt say anything about forged internals.
Anyone running the procharger with forged parts?

Wizard29
07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Wondering how much the total set up cost with everything? I'm assuming I'd have to change my bravo 1 prop to something beefier right?
Im looking at april's ***boat mag and it says that the
on the 496mag 3.5 psi will get you to 550HP and 5.0 psi will get you to 590HP.
If you have the HO you'll get 580HP with 3.5 psi and 625HP with 5.0 psi..
The article doesnt say anything about forged internals.
Anyone running the procharger with forged parts?
So far it sounds like a lot of risk to upgrade to 5 PSI for 40 HP.
I don't know what the cost of everything on mine was. The previous owner had it done. I think your Bravo 1 will handle the power, but you might be better off to change the pitch of the prop since you'd have more power to pull more pitch. I'm actually running a Bravo 3 (dual prop), which I understand to be pretty much bulletproof, so I don't worry too much about blowing a drive.

Beer-30
07-06-2006, 01:54 PM
So far it sounds like a lot of risk to upgrade to 5 PSI for 40 HP.
I don't know what the cost of everything on mine was. The previous owner had it done. I think your Bravo 1 will handle the power, but you might be better off to change the pitch of the prop since you'd have more power to pull more pitch. I'm actually running a Bravo 3 (dual prop), which I understand to be pretty much bulletproof, so I don't worry too much about blowing a drive.
I fully agree. I wouldn't risk being at the business end of a tow rope.
The Bravo III is basically just a B-1 with the counter-rotating bottom end. It is not bulletproof by any means. Can be blown just as easily as a normal B-1. Obviously you are easy on it, or you would have blown it by now.
Also, any more HP, and you are still just fighting against the dual props. You are knocked down in speed already due to the B-III. This restriction tends to multiply with speed, so you would just be dueling the HP vs. Drag.