PDA

View Full Version : So Who Still Hits Their Kids?

Trailer Park Casanova
07-06-2006, 07:08 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812july_4_2006_006-med.jpg
The girls checking out the Karaoke list at the pool - a BFD to them, otherwise I'd avoid the pool.
Ahh brother,, we were at karaoke at the resort pool when twin 12 year old boys push'd two twin 4 year old girls who couldn't swim into the pool.
The boys had been giving their mom a hard time all evening as well.
Suddenly, the change of life dad showed with a thick wide strap like the one used in the Paul Muni movie: "I was a fugitive from a chain gang", and wailed on the boys in front of everyone.
I was getting slushies for our kids some distance away at the bar,, and heard the boys screaming and the slapping of the strap and it took a spell for me to realize what was happening.
It sounded brutal, like full strength swinging a canoe paddle against a hanging side of beef.
Maynard said the boys pooped in their pants because they smelled like butthole after the incident.
I've never hit my kids. Put on time out or stuff taken away seems to work, but they've never done anything as bad as pushing little ones into the pool.
It's usually goofing off, or a smart mouth.
How do you handle your kids when they act up and need a tune up?

sorry dog
07-06-2006, 07:21 AM
I tell them if they don't straighten up...it's off to JBB's house to wax boats, sheetrock, and fertilize...and shit.

ChumpChange
07-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I got hit with a paddle when I was younger and I turned out fine. I personally think all the timeout stuff is too lenient. Kids are messed up these days! Do I think it's right to throw hay makers? That might be a little too far but spanking and paddling isn't.
Oh yeah, I don't have any kids.

Itsahobby
07-06-2006, 07:30 AM
I hope my kids never do something like that. If they ever do I would take something away from them.
This is not to say I don't spank my kids, just not to that extreme. I learned a lesson from my Mom. She used a plastic bat to spank me, one time. I screamed and cried. She said it couldn't hurt that much and she hit herself with it. She proceeded to throw the bat in the trash can and only used here hand after that.
Hobby

funkybunchjr
07-06-2006, 07:31 AM
My dad belted my a$$ when I was little, it seemed to keep me out of trouble. I do the same to my kids, but because they know what their in for, they are great most of the time and I don't kane to get on to them very often. Nothing gets on my nerves faster then a little punk kid that does whatever they want because their parents don't discipline them.

little rowe boat
07-06-2006, 07:37 AM
I feel that part of the reason society is getting screwed up is because parents refuse to discipline their kids. I feel that the punishment should fit the crime, and if a good ass whooping is called for then so be it.

LaveyJet
07-06-2006, 07:42 AM
I remember going to the principals office and getting swats, you don't see that anymore.
I think "spankings" are fine and needed at times, however, "beatings" are uncalled for.

jbtrailerjim
07-06-2006, 07:42 AM
My folks spanked me when I was a kid and it kept me in line. Kids nowadays have no fear of their parents and I see a lot of them being very disrespectful to adults including their parents. I would have never gotten away with that when I was a kid. I knew if I didn't behave or was disrespectful my dad would whip my ass.
My wife and I both swat my two boy's if they really do something to deserve it but we won't do it in a public place.

bear down
07-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I got whipped as a kid as well...Until age 14. My parents never did it in front of my friends or people. The only thing my mother would do is whip me with shorts on and then make me play with my friends so I would get embarassed of the welts on my legs. Once I have kids I will take a belt to them as well.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-06-2006, 07:45 AM
I feel that part of the reason society is getting screwed up is because parents refuse to discipline their kids. I feel that the punishment should fit the crime, and if a good ass whooping is called for then so be it.
DING DING DING DING! We have a winner! All this time out BS is just that BS! The way kids act nowadays, wel the misbehaving ones, is phucking atrocious! And parents that just sit there and let their little hellions run around and do whatever the hell they want should be ashamed of themselves!

Thorsinc
07-06-2006, 07:51 AM
I have never had to spank or hit my little princess, but I can put the fear of God in her with a look. She only 9 and I have long way to go.

Sleek-Jet
07-06-2006, 07:52 AM
we were at karaoke at the resort pool when twin 12 year old boys push'd two twin 4 year old girls who couldn't swim into the pool.
If it were my daughters, I'd be bustin some ass... don't know if I would do it in front of everyone, but it would get done.
The greatest deterent for my brothers and I was the reaction of our father to whatever we were doing (shoot, it still is)...

Dave C
07-06-2006, 08:01 AM
you gotta put the fear of god in em..... as kids we tried not to mis-behave because we were "afraid" of our parents laying the smack down :crossx: thats the way it should be. we had enough respect not to f*ck up too badly.

core attitude
07-06-2006, 08:08 AM
I hope my kids never do something like that. If they ever do I would take something away from them.
This is not to say I don't spank my kids, just not to that extreme. I learned a lesson from my Mom. She used a plastic bat to spank me, one time. I screamed and cried. She said it couldn't hurt that much and she hit herself with it. She proceeded to throw the bat in the trash can and only used here hand after that.
Hobby
If you would take something away from them for pushing 4 year olds who can't swin into a pool, what would they have to do to get a smack.......light them on fire first?
I'm lucky, my kids (both girls) have not got out of hand or earned any discipline in years, I think the somewhat heavy hand early on when needed had a huge part to play in that.
Pete

Biglue
07-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Only as a last resort will I spank my kids. One thing that will automatically earn you some spanking is back talking to mom or another elder. I don't have the problem of them back talking me for some reason. :D
For the most part I can put the fear of god in them with just a look. I feel like an asshole once the fear look overcomes their little faces but I'd rather have them learn a lesson here at home with me than in public or with a stranger. As a parent I could only hope they see it as discipline when they are grown ups and not abuse like society likes to put in their minds

moneypit
07-06-2006, 08:11 AM
If you have to use a device to scold your child then your a pussy. I think its ok to give a kid a wack if thats the only thing he or she repsonds to. Some children will respond to other types of reprimand.
However, i would never scold my child like that in public. Beating your kid with a belt in front of other children could leave scars on any of those kids minds.

superdave013
07-06-2006, 08:14 AM
If you would take something away from them for pushing 4 year olds who can't swin into a pool, what would they have to do to get a smack.......light them on fire first?
lol, I was thinking about the same thing. Those 2 sound like some rotten kids. Maybe a little belt now will save them from some prison time later.

Biglue
07-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Yeah not shit. That's playing with another kids life right there. Look at all the potential to ruin not only the family's life but your family's as well. You best believe, if those were my 12 year olds, not having their video games would be the least of their worries. Not only that, they would have to go over and appologize to both the little girls and their parents. :mad:

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 08:18 AM
My parents wore out belts on my ass. My Mom broke wooden spoons across it as well. The big ones, like you stir a huge pot of spaghetti with... But, I didn't tell them the truth all of the time about what I had gotten into, and it took me well past belt-beating age to figure out that my parents were hip to what I was up to the whole time.
Fact is, they never really hurt me bad enough to do anything. It was worth a half-semester of not doing homework for me. One quick spanking and I had my evenings off for months! TV restriction... so what? I read a lot, which I enjoyed more. No hanging out with friends after school... again, so what? I saw them all day at school.
Kids (and adults) only respond to punishment if it isn't worth the crime. A speeding ticket, if you even get caught is not very much money. Let's say $300 or so. If you don't get one but every two years, it doesn't even go on your record. So, by this twisted rationale, you can speed for two years for $300. I would write that check in a second. I spend my whole life driving it seems like, and my mental ability to justify driving 65 towing a boat or 80 commuting in the Vette saves me a ton of time.
Red light violations however are not worth it at all... Running red lights is just dumbass. Odds are you are going to get caught by a camera anyway, but at another level it is very dangerous, and rarely saves you any time at all... Not to mention the $270 immediate fine. The penalty (accident or fine) is not worth it. You will NEVER see me run a red light.
The same exact thing happens with kids. Was getting to stay out late this one night worth the punishment? For me, it was. Something fun was usually happenning for me to even consider it, and I was so infrequently let out that I would take advantage of every second. Even to the point where the further punishment I was sure to incur would have been fine with me.
In retrospect, I don't know how my parents could have changed that mentality except to make the punishment worse than the fun of doing the deed. They really didn't have any tools left short of military school or something, but I would have just ended up running the place anyway... I had no idea what my parents could have done to stop my actions.
Until I got into SEAL training that is... ;) Now I know for a fact what I would do to any kid that needed actual punishment. Dip tank.
Once you got along in training, you were so built for speed that physical exercise wasn't a threat to you anymore. Making you to a 1000 pushups for an infraction only really took 10 minutes out of your life, and you got stronger for the next time you had to do 1000. There was no consequence as a result. Then we discovered the dip tank. Outside of every classroom in training is a tank filled with water. If you get busted nodding off, cheating, talking, mouthing off etc... you get to jump into that tank wearing all of your clothes and whatnot and then sit outside the classroom and do your work from there... soaking wet. If you are wet, someone has to bring you your dinner outside because you aren't allowed in the chowhall wet. All in all, it was extremely humiliating, and really separated you from your peer group as a shitbag. It totally sucked. The motto of BUD/s training is that if you "Ain't cheating you ain't trying" and so you had lots of opportunity to infract. Sometimes you got busted. I got busted once on a good one with about 7 other people... who I was unfortunately senior to. For this infraction we had to get wet and sandy every hour, on the hour for 26 hours straight.
That may not seem that bad... but consider what it means. You can't go to bed, because you will thrash your bed and your room. So, you are sleeping outside on the ground. You can't change, because what is the use? So, let's talk about just one hour... your alarm on your watch goes off at 11:50 for everyone to get their boots on and such, which you climb into and head down to the beach. You jump into 52 degree water, get fully immersed and take your hat off to make sure your hair is wet (they check) and then roll around in the sand to make sure you are covered head to toe. Then, you go and knock on the door to the instructors shack. It is now 11:59. You present yourself, with crew fully accounted for wet and sandy on the hour, they inspect you and send you away. Of course, you would rather go to bed wet than wet and sandy, so you run back down to the beach, get in the water and "rinse off" the sand, shlep your ass back up to the berthing and lay down outside. You take off your boots, strip down to your underwear, wring out your clothes a little, put them back on and try to get some sleep. It is about 12:10 by this time, and you have 40 minutes until you have to get up again.
That was some attention getting punishment. I never cheated again. The worst was seeing the 24 hour mark come and go... we were sure it was going to end at 24 hours.... but no.
Anyway, my advice with regard to any punishment is to make sure it makes the impression you want to make on the kid, not just yourself. I am sure my mom thought that breaking wooden spoons over my ass was doing the trick, but the fact is it really just stung for a second and I was back to the business of messing up.

NUTHIN
07-06-2006, 08:19 AM
watch parents trying to REASON with there kids at the grocery store or at a restaraunt... whats a 5 yr old have to reason about? screaming at the mother/father.. what a joke.. had a 10 yr old tell me to f&%k off when i told him to ride his bike on the side walk and not the street because people in cars cant see the street going around the corner.. I say boot camp if your not going to parent your kids..

topless
07-06-2006, 08:20 AM
I've spanked my kids when they were younger but not in public.......except once. I remember going to lake Mead once and upon returning to the hotel after being on the water all day loaded down with cooler, bags of food.............etc, I asked my son who was 8 at the time to hold the door for us and he just walked in closing the door on us. I took him to the lobby and made him open the door and hold it open until they came through the door for everyone coming into the hotel for an hour. He has never done anything like that since.

RiverToysJas
07-06-2006, 08:31 AM
We spank! We're also consistant. If we say "if you do that, you get this..." they GET what we say they get. We have been consistant since berth, and they are now 4 and 6 and pretty much stay in line and rarely need a spanking....though my 4yo girl lied to me the other day, and that earns a spanking almost everytime. They know we mean what we say, when we tell them the consequences, they are going to get those consequences. I tell them I don't like spanking them, but they gave me no choice by doing what they did. Just trying to show them, actions have consequences. ;)
RTJas :D

core attitude
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I took him to the lobby and made him open the door and hold it open until they came through the door for everyone coming into the hotel for an hour.
Classic....I like that, my kind of lesson.
Pete

Drift
07-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I remember going to the principals office and getting swats, you don't see that anymore.
I think "spankings" are fine and needed at times, however, "beatings" are uncalled for.
AMEN.

Tremor Therapy
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Froggy....I can totally relate to the spankings with a spoon, the groundings, etc. What I feel is missing in todays kids is the discipline. Don't confuse discipline with punishment. My parents spent a lot of time instilling discipline, so when the punishment came, I knew what I was in for, and had already made a half-ass decision that the "fun" was worth it. And I can attest that my mom and dad wore out belts on my ass!
Now I have probably not actually physically "hit" my kids 1/1000 the amount of times that I was, but my raised voice gets as much action. My kids would actually prefer a spanking to the 30 minute "Father-knows-best" lecture I give them when they mis-behave. I reserve the spankings for blatant disregard of the rules.
However, to address the scenario that TPC described.......I did witness my 20 year old daughter "dunking" her youngest sister one time. She was 15 at the time, and the youngest daughter was 8. She could swim really well at 8, but her older sister was twice her size and weight. Well it must have been going on for a bit, because my youngest daughter had vomitted in the pool, and the oldest was screaming how "gross" it was. Well once the youngest stopped crying, she told me the circumstances. I then jumped in the pool with the oldest, and did the same exact thing to her.....until she puked! Her demeanor changed that day, and we have had many a discussion about how that day has changed her outlook on many things.
Over the top? Maybe, but life ain't fair, and she needed to know that karma is a bitch!

9er
07-06-2006, 08:44 AM
We spank! We're also consistant. If we say "if you do that, you get this..." they GET what we say they get. We have been consistant since berth, and they are now 4 and 6 and pretty much stay in line and rarely need a spanking....though my 4yo girl lied to me the other day, and that earns a spanking almost everytime. They know we mean what we say, when we tell them the consequences, they are going to get those consequences. I tell them I don't like spanking them, but they gave me no choice by doing what they did. Just trying to show them, actions have consequences. ;)
RTJas :D
Yeah, I agree, consistency is important. I don't spank my little guy without warning so he certainly earns it. We also practice realistic threats and consequences.
If you make a threat or offer a consequence, be sure you can follow through. Make sure it's not something you want as well.
For instance I've seen parents tell their kids if they don't do such and such, we're not going to the river. Well, that's just dumb, who's gonna follow through with that? Then the kids walk all over them becuase they know....

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
07-06-2006, 08:46 AM
You know I am here thinking about this question. If you do the crime you pay the punishment. My son is 20 years old and all of his cousins are within 4years of his age, they all call me uncle whoop-ass because they all knew if they come over to my home you did something to deserve spanking you got spanking.About 4 years ago we are down @dillions beach and three of them got up the balls to take me on blind-side. So needless to say after the shock of them gang tackling me wore off I grabed my son by back of neck and waist band and picked over my head to throw him at other kids they all called truce. I think I put fear of joe back in all of they kids and they have been very polite and helpful when I am around @ family functions again. BIG JOE

tcook33
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Whatever the punishment is, I think consistency is the key. Everyone has their own way of punishing their kids, and I don't know if there is a black and white explanation on how to do it. But I do think that whatever it is, it needs to be consistent.

topless
07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
You know I am here thinking about this question. If you do the crime you pay the punishment. My son is 20 years old and all of his cousins are within 4years of his age, they all call me uncle whoop-ass because they all knew if they come over to my home you did something to deserve spanking you got spanking.About 4 years ago we are down @dillions beach and three of them got up the balls to take me on blind-side. So needless to say after the shock of them gang tackling me wore off I grabed my son by back of neck and waist band and picked over my head to throw him at other kids they all called truce. I think I put fear of joe back in all of they kids and they have been very polite and helpful when I am around @ family functions again. BIG JOEYou sound like uncle asshole to me.

GHT
07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Spankins are not out of place. Beatings are abuse.... One is a tool to help teach discipline the other is a lack of control from the parent/s and should be delt with.

Water Romper
07-06-2006, 09:20 AM
As a parent I have heard both sides of this topic, hit or don’t hit.
There IS NOT a fine line here, picking up a belt, paddle, baseball bat or what ever “weapon” you decide to assault your child with is abuse. To beat your child, with a paddle to cause the child to defecate is well beyond obedient training. It’s disgusting and illegal. Granted, (going back to the original thread) the two brats that pushed the girls in the water did deserve punishment however, because dad was embarrassed doesn’t give him the right to beat them, in public or not. My guess these kids are a piece of work already and will be a “chip off the ol’ block” just like the abusive parents they are forced to live with. Common sense discipline will not work with these people, violence breeds violence and this is just another link in the chain. 10 bucks says dear ol’ dad pops mom once in awhile too…but that would be considered “spousal abuse” and that’s not right…so go and beat your little ones tuff guy…considering you don’t have the intelligence to discipline any other way. :yuk:

topless
07-06-2006, 09:25 AM
There IS NOT a fine line here, picking up a belt, paddle, baseball bat or what ever “weapon” you decide to assault your child with is abuse. To beat your child, with a paddle to cause the child to defecate is well beyond obedient training. It’s disgusting and illegal. Granted, (going back to the original thread) the two brats that pushed the girls in the water did deserve punishment however, because dad was embarrassed doesn’t give him the right to beat them, in public or not. My guess these kids are a piece of work already and will be a “chip off the ol’ block” just like the abusive parents they are forced to live with. Common sense discipline will not work with these people, violence breeds violence and this is just another link in the chain. 10 bucks says dear ol’ dad pops mom once in awhile too…but that would be considered “spousal abuse” and that’s not right…so go and beat your little ones tuff guy…considering you don’t have the intelligence to discipline any other way. :yuk: So you think daddy should just give the boys a lollipop if they promise not to do that again? Describe your disipline Mr. "Best Dad on earth"

GHT
07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
There IS NOT a fine line here, picking up a belt, paddle, baseball bat or what ever “weapon” you decide to assault your child with is abuse. To beat your child, with a paddle to cause the child to defecate is well beyond obedient training. It’s disgusting and illegal. Granted, (going back to the original thread) the two brats that pushed the girls in the water did deserve punishment however, because dad was embarrassed doesn’t give him the right to beat them, in public or not. My guess these kids are a piece of work already and will be a “chip off the ol’ block” just like the abusive parents they are forced to live with. Common sense discipline will not work with these people, violence breeds violence and this is just another link in the chain. 10 bucks says dear ol’ dad pops mom once in awhile too…but that would be considered “spousal abuse” and that’s not right…so go and beat your little ones tuff guy…considering you don’t have the intelligence to discipline any other way. :yuk:
Who is the tough guy?? :confused: If your speakin' of anyone that claims to "spank" their kids then that would be a pretty broad statement. I (just for the record) consider a spank as a pop on the ass with an open hand. I only comes as a Last resort and afterward is discussed with my child so he understand why it ever got to he point of a "spankin'".
Now if someone could please direct me to the book / insturction manual that assures 100% the proper way to raise kids?

Water Romper
07-06-2006, 09:32 AM
So you think daddy should just give the boys a lollipop if they promise not to do that again? Describe your disipline Mr. "Best Dad on earth"
I never said the kids didn’t deserve punishment, nor did I say they should be rewarded with a lollipop. Perhaps better comprehension of my thread would have made that clear.
If you advocate beating children that your opinion…just don’t touch mine.
As far as me being “father of the year” I doubt I would get any awards or monuments…but frankly, I don’t care about awards. I just care about my son and how I treat him.

Water Romper
07-06-2006, 09:36 AM
The original post stated the father struck his kids with some type of paddle…that’s where I draw the line. Sure a spanking is appropriate at times and does get the point across.

topless
07-06-2006, 09:43 AM
The original post stated the father struck his kids with some type of paddle…that’s where I draw the line. Sure a spanking is appropriate at times and does get the point across.Didn't you just say it was abuse and there are other means of disipline? I myselve have spanked my kids when they were younger. I used a belt, wooden spoons, and my hand. I didn't have to do it often but it got the point across and never once did I consider it abuse. Maybe if you use a feather it would be ok?

CHEETAH24
07-06-2006, 10:19 AM
beat e'm like a red headed stepchild..

ThongMagnet
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
First you take a deep breath, think about what you need to do, spank them, then take them into the pool and dunk them for about 20 seconds each, being sure to remind them if they ever push anyone in the pool again they will get twice the spanking, and double the dunking.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
TOPLESS you are in a foul mood today or what. I will tell you I am about only uncle or aunt that these kids respect because I was very consistant with the rules at my house. Just for the record I was only uncle that is requested @ all of the graduations.(almost of all of neices and nephews have graduated) The family functions are about 50-60 people just close family, not including friends. PS I am the one these kids call when there is trouble
BIG JOE

FLEA DIDDY
07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I spank my kids when the need comes mainly my 6yr old boy he gets in more trouble than my daughter, my wife is not the "inforcer" as she calls me so I get to police how they are with me,the house,mom and the dog. I give them a verbal warning or the "look" and thats usally all it takes. I grew up knowing who was in charge and that was "my parents" I won't and will not ever have my kids running around like ****ing hoodlems for the sake of being PC. I don't beat them but they know they will get their little asses tore up if they cross the line. Call it old school but kids these days are out of control.

Tremor Therapy
07-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Water Romper,
A couple of things since you decided to come on and preach....
My father used to beat the living shit out of me, yet I do not do so to my kids. In fact, I can use less than the fingers on one hand to count the number of times my kids were spanked. So your violence begets violence is pure BS.
As far as weapons go....in my own life, I remember many more spoken words that have had a profound negative impact on my life than I do spankings. I can think of many more occassions when something said hurt me more than a two swat spanking ever would. And, your comment about a paddle being a weapon is almost comical! If you decide to "beat" a child, then I agree with you completely, but I was taught by my parents that my hands were for loving and holding, use something else as the figure of punishment. You know, the psychological part of the discipline/punishment cycle.
So to make it simple, I do not want to debate child abuse with you....it exists, and you will find me right behind you being a big supporter. But generalized statements are just that, and always tend to point towards the minority of situations.

beaverretriever
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I got hit with a paddle when I was younger and I turned out fine. I personally think all the timeout stuff is too lenient. Kids are messed up these days! Do I think it's right to throw hay makers? That might be a little too far but spanking and paddling isn't.
Oh yeah, I don't have any kids.
I agree. I was never hit in the face or anything like that but definitely got the belt once in a while. I turned out good. Im pretty clean cut except for the tats..LOL. No drugs, no record, no problems I can think of. :cool:
No kids here either.

Tom Brown
07-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I only hit my kids when I'm drunk and the wife pisses me off.

drbones
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Bust their fruggin a$$...if they need adjusted... Kids today have no freekin respect... I knew that if I got a a$$ busting at school..then I was getting another one when I got home... Kids today are givin timeouts and crap...
If my ole man told me to do something...he told me one time...if he had to tell me again..it was after he busted my a$$...
I don't know how many times I have seen a parent trying to reason with a 5 year old who is screaming and throwing a fit... what does that get you???...more frustrated...
If I was crying and whining when I was a kids...for no reason..but to get my way..the ole man would give me a reason to be crying...
Never been in jail..never been arrested....I turned out just fine... So bring back the paddle..and use it...

OCMerrill
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
WAIT - Who beat the parents of the little girls for ALLOWING them anywhere near a pool without being able to swim? Crouded pool and horse play = Drama.
Lazy Parents are the only reason for this. The Y is open late.
Once they can swim well enough then put a PFD on them if your eyes are not glued to them. I am not saying the girls were not in PFD's because I don't know that.
Mine could tread water at 2 years old. No excuses. Our kids can swim well but PFD's are on at the river because I dont what to loose a kid while getting a beer out of the cooler.
Punishment - And you remove your kids from public view and punish however a parent sees fit. It would only take one complaint and parents loose the kids until it’s sorted out. Many Lawyers and $$ later.
This happened to close personal friends of ours. Long story but, not in public. The repercussions are dramatic.
The older they get...the harder it is.

Towndrunk
07-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Treat the little bastards the way you do your dog. I give love with my hands and dish out pain (hardley ever) with my hands.
I must be doing something right cause not one of my dogs has been arrested for drugs , public drunking or skipping school. :cool:

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
The older they get...the harder it is.
I was 24 when the military managed to make the impression on me. I am telling you guys... no need to spank. Get a dip tank. I promise, being wet, cold and shunned outside while the family is inside for the night (I am not saying make them sleep outside, but as long as everyone is watching TV, eating dinner, playing games etc... they stay outside because they are wet) will make the impression right now, right away and leave that impression on them. No violence neccessary... just being wet through sucks horribly. Feel free to put them back in at any period to keep the moisture content up.
I swear I am going to do this if I ever have kids... :D

Her454
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I was 24 when the military managed to make the impression on me. I am telling you guys... no need to spank. Get a dip tank. I promise, being wet, cold and shunned outside while the family is inside for the night (I am not saying make them sleep outside, but as long as everyone is watching TV, eating dinner, playing games etc... they stay outside because they are wet) will make the impression right now, right away and leave that impression on them. No violence neccessary... just being wet through sucks horribly. Feel free to put them back in at any period to keep the moisture content up.
I swear I am going to do this if I ever have kids... :D
Oh boy, this is a keeper. :rollside: :rollside:

AZJD
07-06-2006, 01:18 PM
LOL, I am 30 and my mom will still whack me for poppin' off!

topless
07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
TOPLESS you are in a foul mood today or what. I will tell you I am about only uncle or aunt that these kids respect because I was very consistant with the rules at my house. Just for the record I was only uncle that is requested @ all of the graduations.(almost of all of neices and nephews have graduated) The family functions are about 50-60 people just close family, not including friends. PS I am the one these kids call when there is trouble
BIG JOEThats because they know you'll throw someone into a crowd of people at drop of a hat. Oh, and I'm in a much better mood now. That PMS crap sux! :crossx:

ratso
07-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I would "pop" my son if he needed it, which I could probably count those times on one hand. I was very fortunate that we never had to go through any hard times, and to this day he has never even raised his voice to me. You could say we are best friends. He is 23 now. Like Shamrock said... I demand respect. If I don't get it I'll take it, and my son along with all 6 of my nephews knows that. I have a great relationship with all of them. We hang out together, boat together, we all raced motocross for years and have always spent a good deal of time with each other. I was basically "dad" to them on the weekends because they were running with me since they knew that's where the good times were at. They also know that if they need me anytime day or night I'll be there for them... and they do the same in return. A couple of my nephews (and both stepsons) have told me that I've been more of a dad to them than their real dad ever was. One stepson from an ex is facing felony drug charges and she still calls me crying over it and telling me how this would have never happened had we stayed together. She basically let him run wild and get in with the wrong crowd, he would cuss her, spit in her face, hit her and disappear for days or weeks at a time. Now it's biting her in the ass... and all I can think is "This isn't the boy I was raising..." Nowdays I see so many parents let their kids get away with everything. There is no discipline. Oh, I hear "threats" all the time. Next time I hear a parent go 1......2......3...... I think I'm gonna go knock the F##K out of them! Bring back some authority in school. Hell, most parents nowdays aren't doing their job anyway. If someone is disrupting class or backtalking a teacher, bust that little fuggers ass. It's funny, when I was in elementary and even into high school, I can count on one hand the ones that just simply couldn't stay out of trouble. They were always getting licks with a paddle, sitting in the corner or out in the hallway. There were dress codes and if you didn't abide, you were sent home. There were rules you had to follow... it prepped you for life. If the kids aren't disciplined at home, and teachers aren't allowed to, then you need to stop asking yourself why kids are the way they are in this day and age. For some of them, simply taking away priveleges or grounding works... but there are way too mayy that need their asses beat. For some that's the only discipline they understand.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812july_4_2006_006-med.jpg
The girls checking out the Karaoke list at the pool - a BFD to them, otherwise I'd avoid the pool.
Ahh brother,, we were at karaoke at the resort pool when twin 12 year old boys push'd two twin 4 year old girls who couldn't swim into the pool.
The boys had been giving their mom a hard time all evening as well.
Suddenly, the change of life dad showed with a thick wide strap like the one used in the Paul Muni movie: "I was a fugitive from a chain gang", and wailed on the boys in front of everyone.
I was getting slushies for our kids some distance away at the bar,, and heard the boys screaming and the slapping of the strap and it took a spell for me to realize what was happening.
It sounded brutal, like full strength swinging a canoe paddle against a hanging side of beef.
Maynard said the boys pooped in their pants because they smelled like butthole after the incident.
I've never hit my kids. Put on time out or stuff taken away seems to work, but they've never done anything as bad as pushing little ones into the pool.
It's usually goofing off, or a smart mouth.
How do you handle your kids when they act up and need a tune up?
If they'd been mine, I'd have done it just the same. Good for the dad. :cool:
I only ever had to smack any hid of mine (or a step) about twice. From there on, they only required a verbal reminder if they were getting close to the line. They knew that if I threatened it, the lightning WOULD strike, guaranteed.

a catered life
07-06-2006, 06:03 PM
My dad belted my a$$ when I was little, it seemed to keep me out of trouble. I do the same to my kids, but because they know what their in for, they are great most of the time and I don't kane to get on to them very often. Nothing gets on my nerves faster then a little punk kid that does whatever they want because their parents don't discipline them.
:p well said
i started early so when they got older there was almost no need to spank them...my 4 are very well disicplined and great kids...

Charley
07-06-2006, 06:03 PM
You have to teach them values and boundaries when they're little, or they'll probably never learn them at all. My kids get spankings, so did I. My kids are awesomely great most of the time, but they're also little kids. You can't reason with them, you shouldn't even try, they don't have the life lessons to make reasonable decisions in the first place. To my kids, there's no greater fear than seeing me jump up from a seated position. I always make sure to emphasize what's happening, with a big cat like move from my chair. You've never heard so much screaming and seen so much running as watching them scamper upstairs. To them, the thought of the spanking is far worse than the spanking itself.
Superb post swb, I agree 100%

Trailer Park Casanova
07-06-2006, 06:04 PM
To my kids, there's no greater fear than seeing me jump up from a seated position. I always make sure to emphasize what's happening, with a big cat like move from my chair. You've never heard so much screaming and seen so much running as watching them scamper upstairs. To them, the thought of the spanking is far worse than the spanking itself.
Do they hide the rulers, belts,, sticks, pool ques ect like we did when we were kids?

boatsnblondes
07-06-2006, 06:14 PM
My dad spanked me, and I will spank my kids also, in the event they need it. The story up top about the dad beltspanking the kids in front of everyone is to me, over the top. Not becuase he did it, but because he did it in front of the crowd. To me, if I was there, I would have taken them aside somewhere and let them have it. It's one thing to discipline them, another to publicly humiliate them. Shockwave, if we ever hang out, I'm gonna keep one eye on you every time you get up from the chair..... :)

ddevore
07-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Mine is still a few years too young for a spanking (what can a 2 month old do wrong anyways), but I agree that there needs to be consistency with the rules, and spankings are defiantly a consequence for bad behavior.

OCMerrill
07-06-2006, 07:51 PM
We train up our children. They are always in training.
Letting them just grow up does nobody any good.
I was punched and bruised as a kid by my father. I am not passing this along to my children. Open hand to the butt or a woden spoon in the same place.
There small now 3 and 7. When there 12 and 15 I may need a Taser.