PDA

View Full Version : ..opinions On Pontoon Switch....

FRENCHIE
07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
From those of you who have owned and offshore boat or deep v, and moved on to purchase a pontoon instead!!??
id like to know if it was a good experience, or depressing and wished you never got rid of the fast ride!? what are the pros and cons youve experienced....thanx alot....Frenchie :cool:

HOOTER SLED-
07-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Why not get a pimped out deck boat and enjoy the best of both worlds?

TRUMP TIGHT
07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Pontoon? After owning a performance boat?:rolleyes:

riverbound
07-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Why not get a pimped out deck boat and enjoy the best of both worlds?
Thats what I was thinking.
But in all reality, I think I would end up using and enjoying a pontoon more than a Highperformance boat. just because of the ammount of people it will hold. roominess, and the fact that gas isnt getting any cheaper nwadays. I know I think more and more about a pontoon every trip.

KACHINA KEN
07-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I think it would be a great idea for you to buy a pontoon F, I really mean it.

Phat Matt
07-06-2006, 06:59 PM
You would need one with a 525. :)

Todd969
07-06-2006, 07:07 PM
If you really want to know i'll call ya.

Phat Matt
07-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I can give him your opinion...that's all I ever see you in now. :D

Jbb
07-06-2006, 07:11 PM
pontoon (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120541)

Todd969
07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I can give him your opinion...that's all I ever see you in now. :D
What are you saying? I F'n love my JC and feel it is the best boating investment we've made. For the record Dana says we just might put the Nordic in this weekend. :)

No Name
07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
WTF......Maybe we all want to know. :D :D

Sean
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Playcraft makes em with performance built in, but a 300 hp outboard is better than a 496 mag inboard outboard, imo

Todd969
07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
WTF......Maybe we all want to know. :D :D
This is only my opinion and those who know me and Dana and have actually been on ours would understand.
Short version: I didn't like the kids climbing in and out of our Nordic all day. We talked about getting a toon late last year. At the LA boat show we were sold. I love this thing. It has the 350 mag, and is basically a floating living room. It is NOT a fast ride, however, that was never our intent. We cruise up to Topock at a comfortable 30mph and have enjoyed so much more of the river that we never saw blasting by it at 60-75mph.
I can get anywhere on the lake in reasonable time and take the washing machine quite well as we found out last weekend. We regularly have 2-6 people with us and never feel like your being stepped on. The neat part for us has been the large number of friends that have also taken a liking to it and the people walking the channel that stop to check it out and ask questions.
As I stated before, Our best boating investment!!! :)
Todd

Havasu1986
07-06-2006, 07:39 PM
My buddy has a 30' Sleekcraft and a nice pontoon that he keeps in the marina. Anyone want to buy a Sleekcraft.

Havasu1986
07-06-2006, 07:46 PM
This is only my opinion and those who know me and Dana and have actually been on ours would understand.
Short version: I didn't like the kids climbing in and out of our Nordic all day. We talked about getting a toon late last year. At the LA bot show we were sold. I love this thing. It has the 350 mag, and is basically a floating living room. It is NOT a fast ride, however, that was never our intent. We cruise up to Topock at a comfortable 30mph and have enjoyed so much more of the river that we never saw blasting by it at 60-75mph.
I can get anywhere on the lake in reasonable time and take the washing machine quite well as we found out last weekend. We regularly have 2-6 people with us and never feel like your being stepped on. The neat part for us has been the large number of friends that have also taken a liking to it and the people walking the channel that stop to check it out and ask questions.
Todd
I spent some time with Todd last Sat. Easier on/off for beverages and he pulled a BBQ out and was making hot dogs for everyone. Hard to do in a fast type boat. Whats the hurry anyway. Bobby

Phat Matt
07-06-2006, 07:46 PM
What are you saying? I F'n love my JC and feel it is the best boating investment we've made. For the record Dana says we just might put the Nordic in this weekend. :)
I am saying you must love it. :) I know I love to have all the room and storage in mine. It makes it all more enjoyable.

HocusPocus
07-06-2006, 07:53 PM
i sold off my other boats and bought a new tri-toon last april. i was just thinking of it as a temporary thing until i got my $$ together for something else. now i just think about getting a bigger tri-toon :) who needs to beach anymore with one of those.. just find youself a quiet cove, drop anchor and your ready to play. :rollside:

Kilrtoy
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
You would need one with a 525. :)
Im thinking about one that would take your ride

DD_Tahiti
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Here is a pontoon that goes 60 mph with a single engine BB. They supposedly hold the world record for pontoons with 88 mph.
www.ForestRiverInc.com
They aren't much to look at, but you can't beat the performance.

Kilrtoy
07-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Leon I am having the same issues, You are like me in the way that you would really miss that speed, even with a tri-toon by playcraft running 75 with a 525 you would be bored

Trailer Park Casanova
07-06-2006, 08:06 PM
We bought a cheap little runabout V that's a performer,, but will probably get an Ultra deck or a tri toon and keep both.
People with both seem happy.
Lot's of peeps on this board have two boats.
'Toons are nice, ya can beach 'um,, it can slam against the dock at Fox's when big wakes roll by and not sweat gell fractures, nice, easy going smooth ride, party afloat.
Then ya got the performance boat to get some faster thrills, carve up the water,, tow the kids wakeboarding,, hit Avalon,, ect.
That's our plan.

TRUMP TIGHT
07-06-2006, 08:11 PM
pontoon (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120541)
Those girls look about 15! Great advertizing!:rolleyes:
I will take one if it gets me a bunch of teeny boppers that cant drink!!:rolleyes:

vmjtc3
07-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I have a carrera 270 cyclone. My next boat was going to be a pontoon. I like the fact you can get on and off easy and they have a lot of room. Plus with an outboard you get more mpg. So I went with a deckboat with a single 250 merk. It will still run 60 have all the benies of a pontoon and still look badass.
It might not be the answer for everone but it works for us...............

vmjtc3
07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh yeah, I will post pics after we pick it up......

unleashed
07-06-2006, 08:46 PM
My opinion....is get the pontoon and get ready for you're fun to double. My toon does 40mph...fits a shiatload of peeps, BBQ, drinks, blenders, beaching on rocks...hitting the dock, tubing, waking...who gives a shiat. It does everything except bitch at me...thank god for the wife....LOL! Its the best boating investment and has little downside.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Phat Matt
07-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Im dreaming about one that would take your ride
I fixed what you really meant to say. :)

FRENCHIE
07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Leon I am having the same issues, You are like me in the way that you would really miss that speed, even with a tri-toon by playcraft running 75 with a 525 you would be bored
yup i hear ya...im really serious and prob making a move here in the next few weeks!!!
:cool:

FRENCHIE
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
ill give you a call next week....seriously!!!

BigDoug
07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
After spending a little time on Todds toon, i too am considering a change over. I really really liked the feel of being able to move around and getting on and off with ease, especially at my age. :cry:

Kilrtoy
07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
yup i hear ya...im really serious and prob making a move here in the next few weeks!!!
call me, PLAYCRAFT is bad ass and cheaper than the rest , preforms better and quailty is as good as it gets...
Im looking at a twin wacker toon that will run in the low 70's and get better MPG than a 496 in a toon
or maybe just do the 350MAG and still run in th eupper 40's..
Plus playcraft are custom and you can build them anyway you like and with any colors you choose...
SORRY WILDBILL

No Name
07-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Short version: I didn't like the kids climbing in and out of our Nordic all day. We talked about getting a toon late last year. At the LA boat show we were sold. I love this thing. It has the 350 mag, and is basically a floating living room. It is NOT a fast ride, however, that was never our intent. We cruise up to Topock at a comfortable 30mph and have enjoyed so much more of the river that we never saw blasting by it at 60-75mph.
Todd
Thanks Tood969, All very good points.

Kilrtoy
07-06-2006, 10:01 PM
. We regularly have 2-6 people with us and never feel like your being stepped on.
Todd
NOTE , we are not any of those 6......
:boxed:

Daytona100
07-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Sounds like ***boat,s turning into the old folks home. I can see it now all the DCB,s getting traded in on pontoon boats. What the hell,s going on around here?

Todd969
07-07-2006, 05:38 AM
NOTE , we are not any of those 6......
You have an open invite. Besides you are usually out in your boat. We are doing an early Topock breakfast run on sunday with Carey and Jennine if you want to go.

FRENCHIE
07-07-2006, 11:40 AM
its gonna be a jc or bennington...for sure!! thats gonna b the next tough call, which one!!! :cool:

Todd969
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
its gonna be a jc or bennington...for sure!! thats gonna b the next tough call, which one!!! :cool:
Both are very nice. The Bennington is a little more plush, but the JC has more built in amenities. We like the front styling on the JC better. Get what works for you.

Jyruiz
07-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Do you guys witn toons keep them garaged or outside with a cover?

atomickitn
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
ill tell you what ...i got rid of my hp boats and went to the deck that im in now and thouse of you who have been in it know it is just nice to move about.....it seems like when i pull up to the beach or float people come over and grab a seat and hang out .....its like a waiting room...with a view....i love my ride and wouldnt trade it for the world,not mention the insurance is very cheep...and my hunny loves it..happy hunting frenchee :cool:

INSman
07-07-2006, 12:18 PM
call me, PLAYCRAFT is bad ass and cheaper than the rest , preforms better and quailty is as good as it gets...
Im looking at a twin wacker toon that will run in the low 70's and get better MPG than a 496 in a toon
Plus playcraft are custom and you can build them anyway you like and with any colors you choose...
SORRY WILDBILL
I would like to hear more on this setup :idea: :D

CornWater
07-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Oh... you said pontoon switch. Nevermind, move along folks, nothing to see here.
:D :D

atomickitn
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
hear is the real question.??? how fast do you really want to drive with your family on board?.....does it matter ? or does it matter more that your wife and children and friends all have the best time out on the water and are safe..????this is a no brainer...however you dont have to give up performance or style to do this you my have to slow down just a bit but sooo what!!....and you just cant beat comfort! :)

BigDoug
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Well said Bobby !! :)

Slider
07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Too f-ing funny. :idea:

KineticoH20
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASSIVE-34-Evolution-Power-Boat-275hp-VERADO-34-Deck_W0QQitemZ320004258382QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63684 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hear's a 34ftr

KineticoH20
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUSINESS-OPPORTUNITY-HUGE-PARTY-BOAT-NEW-FINANCING_W0QQitemZ140004856363QQihZ004QQcategoryZ 63684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A40 ftr :)

Daytona100
07-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Pretty sweet toon. Wonder what the insurence is on a cruiser like that????

bignet
07-07-2006, 08:28 PM
SORRY WILDBILL
I don't know Miguel....I think you'd find a way to sneak a Viper V10 on a toon...Speed is an addiction! :220v:
bignet

TCHB
07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
We sold our performance boat Howard (70 MPH) and now have a tri toon Bennington with a 225 Honda on the back. It runs close to 50MPH and handles the Havasu chop with no concerns. After a full day of boating you not beat up and sun out. If anyone wants a test ride stop us and ask. Tooned Out

INSman
07-07-2006, 09:17 PM
We sold our performance boat Howard (70 MPH) and now have a tri toon Bennington with a 225 Honda on the back. It runs close to 50MPH and handles the Havasu chop with no concerns. After a full day of boating you not beat up and sun out. If anyone wants a test ride stop us and ask. Tooned Out
Wonder what a supercharged Merc Verado would do ??!!?? :rollside:

TCHB
07-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I have not run across one yet but it should run pretty good. I have put 170 hours on my 225 Honda in two years and it runs perfect.

BLOWN HOWARD
07-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I drive the inlaws every once in awhile and its a older one but the dam thing sucks at turning how is the new ones????

HOOTER SLED-
07-07-2006, 10:14 PM
ill tell you what ...i got rid of my hp boats and went to the deck that im in now and thouse of you who have been in it know it is just nice to move about.....it seems like when i pull up to the beach or float people come over and grab a seat and hang out .....its like a waiting room...with a view....i love my ride and wouldnt trade it for the world,not mention the insurance is very cheep...and my hunny loves it..happy hunting frenchee :cool:
I concur. We've had some good times on that mofo!!!! Stripper pole and all. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

kanedog
07-08-2006, 01:14 AM
We bought a 266 jc tritoon and came from a blown 26' eliminator. We love the toon and if someone wants to buy our 2002 26' eliminator daytona with a #6 drive it is for sale.100k(spamola)
The toon:
There is room to move and it carves a turn like a v bottom, hard to believe but it does!Beaching, no worries. No dragging coolers or bending or crawling to open the coolers cuz they built in.
We thinks we is old.
Toon was more expensive than we figured but we love it!

T-56
07-08-2006, 03:41 AM
I just bought a 30' pontoon and will be converting it to a tri-toon this winter. I found it in a scrap yard for $500 w/ a clear title! Center 'toon will be from a 24' Party Barge and the new deck will be aluminum w/ carpet velcro'd to it.
The last one I built was also a 30 footer and moved along at 29 mph (GPS) w just an ancient 50 hp Merc on it. This one will have a 90 and I'm looking for 35-40 mph.
Big, cheap, comfortable and relativly fast (for the $$$). I'm sure someone will like it better than I will and I'll have to let this one go too. :cry:

mickeyfinn
07-08-2006, 05:06 AM
I just bought a 30' pontoon and will be converting it to a tri-toon this winter. I found it in a scrap yard for $500 w/ a clear title! Center 'toon will be from a 24' Party Barge and the new deck will be aluminum w/ carpet velcro'd to it.
The last one I built was also a 30 footer and moved along at 29 mph (GPS) w just an ancient 50 hp Merc on it. This one will have a 90 and I'm looking for 35-40 mph.
Big, cheap, comfortable and relativly fast (for the $$$). I'm sure someone will like it better than I will and I'll have to let this one go too. :cry:
Sounds like it it time to invest in a new GPS. 29 with a 50hp on a thirty foot inflatable isn't likely, much less a pontoon. And 35 or 40 with a 90....no fricken way. Never happen. 50 hp on a 30 footer will put you in the 9 to 12 mph range max. A ninety hp on the same boat will put you in the mid teens You might if everything is perfect touch 20, but I doubt it.

TCHB
07-08-2006, 05:09 AM
The new tri toons with HP do move. Most performance boats (stock) only run 15 mph faster then our toon.
Check this out
http://www.manitouboats.com/main/

TCHB
07-08-2006, 05:13 AM
Here is a picture on our power plant on the back and you can see the lifting strakes that allow it to lift. With two people on the boat WOT trimmed up it rides on the back 5 feet and everthing else is off the water.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1592Bennington_016.jpg

T-56
07-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Sounds like it it time to invest in a new GPS. 29 with a 50hp on a thirty foot inflatable isn't likely, much less a pontoon. And 35 or 40 with a 90....no fricken way. Never happen. 50 hp on a 30 footer will put you in the 9 to 12 mph range max. A ninety hp on the same boat will put you in the mid teens You might if everything is perfect touch 20, but I doubt it.
In my defense there was nothing on the boat but carpet and a console for the controls and the boat was sitting so high in the water that it was on plane sitting still. My Garmin GPS posted a speed of 29 mph. My Father's Radar Gun said 28 mph. The man who bought the toon claims 27 mph on his GPS after installing a loading ramp on the front of it.

hipcash
07-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Check this Playcraft out
http://playcraftboats.com/article0206.pub.pdf

Not So Fast
07-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I didnt read the whole thread but why not go DECKBOAT, the best of both worlds, right. Performance, handling, ease to board, lots of room ect. And you will be able to pass all of the slow big wake boats if you go up river. I came from a Rinker Flotilla which did all the things you want but God, slow, took forever to get anywhere and it was a 350, wot 44mph. I love the concept of and layout of my boat, wouldnt trade to ant other type!!! JMO :D NSF

Todd969
07-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I didnt read the whole thread but why not go DECKBOAT, the best of both worlds, right. Performance, handling, ease to board, lots of room ect. And you will be able to pass all of the slow big wake boats if you go up river. I came from a Rinker Flotilla which did all the things you want but God, slow, took forever to get anywhere and it was a 350, wot 44mph. I love the concept of and layout of my boat, wouldnt trade to ant other type!!! JMO :D NSF
Yes sir, but you can't roll on to small pebble shores with that bottom. :rollside:

Not So Fast
07-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Nope, you're right about that Todd, but I dont think I could do it with a nice toon either, Just not in my nature. I do like the nice toons, dont get me wrong but you gotts to admit they are slow and listed speeds are at WOT so 30 is about good cruise speed right. Plus the darn things are really expensive. And you still have the Nordic for your speed pill :D NSF

Kilrtoy
07-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Because they cost 60K more for a whole 25MPH...

AZKC
07-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Interesting thread, seems the tide is turning once again :idea: With what peeps have done to the Rhino's can't wait to see the pimped out Toons :)

Todd969
07-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Nope, you're right about that Todd, but I dont think I could do it with a nice toon either, Just not in my nature. I do like the nice toons, dont get me wrong but you gotts to admit they are slow and listed speeds are at WOT so 30 is about good cruise speed right. Plus the darn things are really expensive. And you still have the Nordic for your speed pill :D NSF
That's been my point all along. We've really come to enjoy putting around the lake. 30mph has proven to us that we can get anywhere within an hours time. What's the hurry anyway?

Not So Fast
07-08-2006, 08:32 AM
That's been my point all along. We've really come to enjoy putting around the lake. 30mph has proven to us that we can get anywhere within an hours time. What's the hurry anyway?
What ever floats your boat, to each his own and so on and on. All I know is that it bugged me enough that I wanted a little more speed. If you are happy thats all that matters right? Frenchie just wanted opinions and thats mine. Peace :chi: NSF

Keith E. Sayre
07-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Frenchie: I've got phone numbers for about 6 guys that have done what you
are suggesting and now will do anything to get out of their pontoons so that
they can buy a deckboat. They'll deal on the toons. They may go 40 or 45
or whatever when you test drive them but load em up with fuel and junk and
people and 30 mph going upriver with a 7 mph downstream current and do the math. Trust me, YOU are not set up for 23 mph!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

AZKC
07-08-2006, 08:49 AM
I'll second that, fast is fun but cruisin and seeing stuff is what the lake/water is all about. :)

nodigg
07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Uh-oh! here goes the Cheetah cheerleader again! Leon, just another reason to buy a new Cheetah deck every couple of years for the same money as one "quality" :rolleyes: deck boat. You can slide up on the pebble beach and still go fast for less money. The pontoons are about the same price as a Cheetah if you get some power behind them, (or more). I have been thinking pontoon for a couple of years now but right now I can do what they do as far being a workhorse/cattle barge but can still satisfy the need for speed!
Check out what you get before you decide. The only problem has become that stepping down from a hot boat to a pontoon seems to be respectable but steeping up to a Cheetah is not as accepted. (If you care what some hot boaters think)

Not So Fast
07-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Because they cost 60K more for a whole 25MPH...
What ever NSF

LOWRIVER2
07-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Just go the two boat road like us south of Parker guys:
Pontoon for family/18-21 tunnel or vdrive for the man of the house to run when the need for speed arises.
I'd say if you can't do that up on the lake, performance deckboat is only compromise for speed/function.
Every (conquest/magic-insert any custom) deckboat owner I know always has everyone else with cats/vee bottoms lounging on their boats while floating or hanging out together. The average "performance" cat or vee bottom is running in the 70's-80's on most days. Most custom decks do this and have room/ease of boarding for the family. Seems like a simple choice to me.

TCHB
07-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I have spent time in a Conquest and Magic which are much rougher riding than a tri toon. In the Magic we were getting banged up pretty good going across the lake at 40MPH where the tri toon goes over the crap. I think you will start to see more and more tri toons with HP on the lakes. Goood Luck

LOWRIVER2
07-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Pontoons ride great, just make sure to beach them rather than try to anchor them off in the wind. I've ran over and saved many a family man hanging on for dear life after his toon started dragging the anchor (box included) and moving at a nice fiberglass boat. Trailering in the wind is also a lot of fun and more difficult than a fiberglass cat/deck boat.

Mohave Vice
07-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I had been looking for a toon for a number of years and was able to grab one last year. I wanted something that I could get and take a group of peeps out and also to tow our boat behind. Nothing worse than leaving peeps on the beach and taking turns getting them on the water. I found a REAK nice '03 24' w/ a 55 merc. Now adding some "bling" to it. With ice chest / 6 peeps, I think it tops out at about 21-22 mph. Gotta tell you ....................can't go wrong with a toon.

BajaMike
07-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Todd
You have pics??

Todd969
07-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Cruising up to Topock
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0584.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0282.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0284.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0626.JPG

UpRiver
07-08-2006, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=LOWRIVER2]Just go the two boat road like us south of Parker guys:
Pontoon for family/18-21 tunnel or vdrive for the man of the house to run when the need for speed arises. QUOTE]
That is exactly what I did. And I'm Up River :boxed: I would sugest you drive all the major names JC, Bennington, Playcraft. I have the Playcraft and it handles and turns better IMO then the others.

TCHB
07-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I have seen your boat alot in the channel. Out boat is the Red Bennington
with the 225 Honda (Tooned Out). We sold are Howard and do not miss it yet. I have put 180 hours on this boat in two summers!

Todd969
07-08-2006, 01:50 PM
I have seen your boat alot in the channel. Out boat is the Red Bennington
with the 225 Honda (Tooned Out). We sold are Howard and do not miss it yet. I have put 180 hours on this boat in two summers!
Yes you have, it spends a great deal of time there. Since Apr 27th we've only managed 27.6 hrs. I'm thinking we'll hit 80 this year. We are getting the biminis redone with a silver stripe to help it stand apart from the others.

TCHB
07-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Take a look at the new toon bottoms.
Our First Impression
It’s hard to recall a first impression of a boat when the overall impression is so powerful. That is certainly the case with this surprise-packed toon. On paper, the Osprey Pro is tagged as a fishing model, and yes, it has angling features in spades. But even from our initial on-trailer inspection, we knew this boat promised something above and beyond the norm. It hinted at something relatively profound—even unprecedented—in the world of pontoon manufacturing…
Consumer Test
The boat’s multitude of fishing features is very well integrated into the layout. With its quartet of fishing chairs you get more than just extra elbow room. These padded seats provide comfort seldom found on a typical “fishin’ toon.” All four stations include corner rod holders, as well as plenty of space for each angler to spread out.
You can easily fit four fishing poles in the lockable rod storage compartment with over seven feet of space inside. We found livewells fore and aft (the back one is adjacent to a handy tackle storage unit), as well as a half bow gate and trolling motor hookup.
This boat has a nice pop-up changing room (portable toilet included), which converts from the rear chaise lounge. It’s a snap to set up, and takes up little space.
The burl wood dash nicely ties in with the tilt wheel and the Faria gauges are easy to read. A Sony Xplod XM radio and a Lowrance M56 depth finder/GPS are just two of the many standard Osprey Pro features.
Inspection Test
Again, we knew this boat was something special as soon as our on-trailer test team started jotting notes. Of particular importance is the 373 SHP package. It involves two 23-inch diameter pontoons, plus a center pontoon of 27 inches. This ratio alone goes a long way in aiding the performance of the boat (see Performance section). The other magic ingredient is the lifting-strake additions, which combine with the geometry of the sturdy “tri-hull” configuration for a very unique design.
The Osprey Pro’s pontoons are chambered and the modified porpoise nose cones with built-in splash skins have a solid design. The boat has a full length splash skin for a clean ride, and the wiring below is well protected. In fact, the overall wiring work on this boat is exceptional, as noted by our inspection crew after also checking below the fiberglass helm console.
It is obvious to us that Manitou rolled up its collective sleeve regarding the general fit-and-finish work. As in past years, this builder received high marks at the Shootout for its attention to detail.
Aside from its plethora of standardized add-ons, we would have preferred to see a boarding ladder as standard on this test boat. It is, of course, available as an option. To say the least, this is a well constructed boat. Nothing appears to be an afterthought. The welding and fitting work under the deck is exceptional and the craftsmanship throughout the boat is worth noting, especially when you get to see how that all translates into performance.
Performance TestWe can sum this section up with one word: Wow!
There have been a select few companies in this industry that have successfully incorporated performance into their pontoon hull designs. Not only has Manitou done it with the 24 Osprey Pro, but they’ve done so in a unique fashion. Much of the credit goes to the unquestionable harmony between the design features of the boat’s three-log hull. We learned from company insiders that it took some serious field testing to perfect the boat’s uncanny ability to bank and turn on a dime, and it has certainly paid huge dividends.
Without stretching too far into hyperbole, we can safely say that in the history of our Shootout, no more than two or three boats have ever come close to the sharp-turning, steep-banking, splash-and-dash performance that we experienced on the 24 Osprey Pro. The Evinrude 225 E-TEC engine makes a perfect match with this multi-use performer. The boat just rockets out of the hole and hops on plane in no time. But even that feat pales compared to what we could accomplish into the sharpest corners. This boat seriously banks like a V-hull. In short, its exceptional one-two punch of power and control is just downright breathtaking.
Final Thoughts
The tail end of this test report says one thing, but what actually happened after the test just about says it all. Here’s the skinny:
The Osprey Pro and its dedicated Manitou crew stayed for nearly the entire duration of the Shootout, yet seldom did this boat stay at the dock any longer than to swap out its awe-struck passengers.
Look, we’re not just talking about Shootout test crew members or local bystanders. Even reps from competing manufacturers were hopping aboard. Surely Manitou’s final fuel bill was a scary slip of paper, but the buzz—and the total impression—has been undeniable. Manitou has pulled off something very special with this boat, and not surprisingly, it is now being incorporated into the company’s Legacy and Oasis lines as well. Hats off to you, Manitou. We’d dare say that you stole the show.
Why We Love It
The quality of performance is just flat-out amazing, especially into the tightest of turns. The only thing distracting us from this fact is the Osprey’s excellent mixture of functional fishing amenities and all-around comfort.
Just Being Picky
Actually, one of the few things we can ding Manitou for also happens to be one of its strengths—a long, impressive run-sheet of standard features. Although a boarding ladder is available as an option, we’d like to see it make the list.
Test Stats
Top Speed 49.5 mph
Db-a @ Idle 60
Fuel @ 3000 1.1 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder No
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
600 2.25 mph N/A 60
1000 4.6 mph N/A 68.5
1500 6.6 mph N/A 67.5
2000 9.7 mph N/A 70
2500 15.6 mph N/A 72
3000 21.1 mph N/A 74
3500 25.3 mph N/A 79
4000 28.5 mph N/A 82
4500 36 mph N/A 83.5
5000 42 mph N/A 87.5
5500 48 mph N/A 91
5800 49.5 mph N/A 91.5
Boat Specs
LOA 24’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design 3 Pontoons
Dry Weight 2715 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Fuel Capacity 28 Gallons
Engine & Propeller
Engine Evinrude 225 E-TEC
Cylinder Type V-6
Displacement/HP 200ci/200hp
Lower Unit Gear Ratio 1.85:1
Propeller 19 Pitch
Standard Features
Locking rod and tackle box, two live wells, Lowrance M56 with map, 28-gallon built-in fuel tank, trolling rod holders, Sony Xplod CD player with four speakers, fiberglass helm, Sunbrella bimini top.
Options on Test Boat
373 SHP package that includes a 27-inch center pontoon, lifting strakes, under skinning and hydraulic steering. Chaise privacy station, mooring cover, Burl steering wheel.
Prices
Base Retail w/ Standard Features $27,910
(Boat and Motor)
Price As Tested $32,145
(Boat and Motor)
Contact
Manitou
7800 Northport Drive
Lansing, MI 48917
Phone: 517 322 3822
www.manitouboats.com

Not So Fast
07-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Cruising up to Topock
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0584.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0282.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0284.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0626.JPG
That is a nice one for sure!! NSF

BajaMike
07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm surprised so many of these are "tri-tunes"....it seems like three hulls would be much less efficient then two hulls...so much more wetted surface and weight to push around.
Are there any side by side comparisons of a 3-hull vs. 2-hull, same length and power??
Or anyone know why the 3-hull seem to be so popular??
:confused:

98 Vector 21
07-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Best of both worlds, we currently have our Hallett (needs to go) and have a 24ft poonton thats our winter boat!

TCHB
07-08-2006, 04:57 PM
The tri toons ride on top of the water. The two toons do not lift off.
Their is a big difference in the two boats. I would say about 40 % more performance with the same HP.

22HotKat
07-08-2006, 05:05 PM
There was a company at the LA boat show selling Pontoons
with 496 BB that will hit the high 60 MPH
Called a Sleeper in my book

wildbillg
07-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Like I said if it is all about speed then the playcraft is the one you are going to buy, but if you want more in the ride and handleing, the one that I sell is going to handle better. remeber custom is nice but getting your service and problems handled in a timely manner go a long way, ( I like to take care of my customers, just ask Todd).
Before you make your final choice, go out and drive the playcraft and then come and drive mine, licstne for rattles creaks and handling...
I happy with what ever you buy as long as you are on the lake and having a good time, in short that is all that matters really, boating is all about good times and family.
(just come for a ride)
SORRY WILDBILL

hipcash
07-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I drove the Playcraft before I ordered it and turned extremely well and was solid as a rock. I don't think anybody can go wrong with Playcraft, JC or Bennington

Kilrtoy
07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Like I said if it is all about speed then the playcraft is the one you are going to buy, but if you want more in the ride and handleing, the one that I sell is going to handle better. remeber custom is nice but getting your service and problems handled in a timely manner go a long way, ( I like to take care of my customers, just ask Todd).
Before you make your final choice, go out and drive the playcraft and then come and drive mine, licstne for rattles creaks and handling...
I happy with what ever you buy as long as you are on the lake and having a good time, in short that is all that matters really, boating is all about good times and family.
(just come for a ride)
I will take a ride on EVERYTHING before I decide and when I do choose a builder, , The cheapest price at the dealership gets my cash

wildbillg
07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I drove the Playcraft before I ordered it and turned extremely well and was solid as a rock. I don't think anybody can go wrong with Playcraft, JC or Bennington
I sell 2 of them
JC and Bennington

Kilrtoy
07-08-2006, 06:18 PM
The cheapest price? at the dealership?
That is correct

Wake Havasu
07-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Gas prices are a catalyst to consideration of boats that seat more than 6, can be beached and get decent mileage.
It's an evolution in anticipation of 6.00 a gallon.
I made over 200 last year but the thought of sending 90.00 to Muslims each time I fill up the truck bugs the heck out of me.

TCHB
07-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I have a new Bennington and love it. A friend of ours has a Playcraft and it is also nice boat. If I was going to buy a new boat today I would buy the Manatou (see article above). It is the fastest hands down and turns like a v bottom run about. All the top quality toons are nice and you can see it in the price.

Warlockjer
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
I got rid of a Warlock 29 world class with a blown 496. I do not miss it one bit, nor does my wife. We purhased a 266 JC Tritoon and love it. Whats the hurry? Slow down and enjoy the scenery!! :) :)

hipcash
07-08-2006, 08:25 PM
I sell 2 of them
JC and Bennington
I stopped by to see you Monday but you were off. We looked at both the JC and the Bennington. They are both very nice, but in the end the Playcraft is the boat for my wife and I.

Jyruiz
07-08-2006, 08:40 PM
That Manitou is bad AZZ, anybody know how high they sit on the trailer?

TCHB
07-09-2006, 10:14 AM
My Bennington will fit in a 8ft door with the tops down with about a inch to spare. I would measure it to be sure.

Not So Fast
07-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Just watched the video on that Manitou, pretty impressive no doubt and priced right. NSF

phuggit
07-09-2006, 11:17 AM
We fell into a great deal on a used pontoon with the Sigepmocks. I have to admit that I look forward to taking the toon out more than our v. We don't get anywhere fast in the toon, but I gladly give up speed for a good ride, lotsa space and a safe place for our kids to play around on. It's also nice to get off the water and park the thing w/o having to spend an hour cleaning the boat before putting it away.

TCHB
07-09-2006, 11:56 AM
There is nothing better on a Hot Hot summer day floating in a cove on your own Island in the shade. You can spend the whole day in the boat and cove in feeling good not beat up.

Troubles No More
07-09-2006, 12:42 PM
There is nothing better on a Hot Hot summer day floating in a cove on your own Island in the shade. You can spend the whole day in the boat and cove in feeling good not beat up.
TCHB , Todd696 or if you have a pontoon.
We sold our Howard last year and we're considering an Malibu 247 or toon with the largest O/B or I/O I can get for water-skiing, I have looked at JC with the 320HP, The Bennington at the LA show, but what I like is the Playcraft with two O/B on it.
I'd like to know...if you have the time...Thanks
Have you water-skied with the pontoon?
If so, what is it like to pull up a skier in deep water?
Do you have two propellers, one for cruising, one for skiing?
What length pontoon do you have?
What size motor do you have?
What kind of speed and turning performance do you see?
What brand(s) of pontoon boats did you look at before you final purchase?

TCHB
07-09-2006, 01:59 PM
1. I looked at the Playcraft, JC and Bennington 25 RL
2. Bennington because of the comfort of seats and liked the layout.
3. 225 Honda 45 to 49MPH depending on load and conditions
4. One prop and pulls water skiers easy.
I may have went witht the New 275 Mercury becase it comes with power hydraulic steering but it was not out when I bought mine.
Again if I was to buy today I would l look at the Manatou boat because of the new toon sizes.

Troubles No More
07-09-2006, 02:32 PM
1. I looked at the Playcraft, JC and Bennington 25 RL
2. Bennington because of the comfort of seats and liked the layout.
3. 225 Honda 45 to 49MPH depending on load and conditions
4. One prop and pulls water skiers easy.
I may have went witht the New 275 Mercury becase it comes with power hydraulic steering but it was not out when I bought mine.
Again if I was to buy today I would l look at the Manatou boat because of the new toon sizes.
thanks, I will check out the Manitou

Old Man Havasu
07-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Todd,
I may have missed it in the thread. Is your JC a 26'? And what is the power 350 mag?
Thanks

TCHB
07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Here is the Playcraft test with a 496 under the hood.
PlayCraft Powertoon X-Treme 2700
Our First Impression
For several years, PlayCraft has consistently blown us away with the performance side of the pontoon market. That tradition certainly continues, but on its heels are a few priorities just as important: increased comfort, aesthetics and a breathtaking design.
Consumer Test
Each of its three U-shaped pontoons are powder coated and they perfectly tie into the side panels. The sharp contrast is just as pronounced with the boat’s furnishings, featuring white vinyl overlaid with NASCAR-type graphics. The result of these bright, artistic designs—plus the powder-coated rails—is a layout that just screams excitement.
The sundeck on this boat has the racing graphics theme at its best. It’s a two-person-plus pad with bolsters all around. This massive pad flips up easily, exposing carpeted panels that are removable, so you get excellent access to the massive 425-horse 496 MAG High Output engine. At the boat’s rear entry position we found PlayCraft’s trademark integrated step-in ladder, just as impressive as always.
At the controls, the Powertoon has exceptional appearance and feel. The fiberglass helm console offers a myriad of gauges across its carbon fiber, automotive-style, two-tiered dash.
For the captain, the nice Flexsteel helm chair gives you the comfort and security that you need when handling a pontoon that can kick it up to over 50 miles per hour. Other great features include courtesy rope lighting, an impressive dual trumpet horn at the console, ski/tow eye and a nice Clarion stereo/CD system with eight high-power speakers. There is also a great in-floor ski locker that is built into the center pontoon.
Inspection Test
Three foam filled U-shaped pontoons are the base of this solid craft, and here also lies the magic that allows the Powertoon to bank like a V-hull boat. PlayCraft’s exclusive Rac-R-Fins give the X-Treme series a noticeable boost in performance.
Its logs are bolted directly to the one piece deck. Below the deck, the wiring is excellent and the overall design is clean and well executed. Everything is heavy duty below and all is well reinforced—a very solid boat throughout with an overall excellent fit and finish. There is a total of 18 feet of useable deck space inside the gates on this 27-footer and the boat has an overall spacious feel to the layout. The Rotocast single walled seat bases are screwed to the deck and the over center hinges provide easy access to the storage units below.
Performance Test
With just a flip of a switch, we had the Captain’s Choice thru-hull exhaust rumbling. Then we just sat back in awe (and held on) as this boat jumped out of the hole and onto plane with the speed and agility of a boat half its size. The MerCruiser MAG HO performed flawlessly as the boat rumbled across the lake and banked into corners like a V-hull boat. And at no time did we ever feel unsafe driving it, which says a lot about its construction.
Final Thoughts
A lot of time and effort went into creating this boat and the results are amazing. With its mix of onboard delights and its rip-roaring performance, this boat will provide a fun time on the lake in the most dramatic way possible.
Why We Love It
Obviously we can’t say enough about the performance. It’s one thing to have a boat that will go 55 miles per hour, but to have a pontoon that you feel comfortable going that fast is amazing. It’s well built and it can handle it.
Just Being Picky
It’s all about the performance, but to be considered a true family boat it could use some of those amenities like a changing room and a refreshment center to really make it complete (however they are available as options).
Test Stats
Top Speed 55.1 mph
Db-a @ Idle 65
Fuel @ 3000 31 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder Yes
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
800 4.1 mph 2.8 gph 65
1000 6.3 mph 5.5 gph 69
1500 11.5 mph 14.8 gph 77.5
2000 19.8 mph 14.5 gph 80.5
2500 26.2 mph 19.5 gph 78
3000 33.7 mph 31 gph 81.5
3500 38.8 mph 40 gph 88
4000 46.8 mph 51 gph 89.5
4500 53.3 mph 64 gph 90.5
4800 55.1 mph 65 gph 93
Boat Specs
LOA 27’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design Triple Toon
Dry Weight 3950 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Fuel Capacity 103 Gallons
Engine & Propeller
Engine MerCruiser 496 HO
Cylinder Type V-8
Displacement/HP 496ci/425hp
Lower Unit Gear Ratio Bravo 3 1:81
Propeller 24 Pitch
Standard Features
Triple Toon package with performance shield, foam filled pontoons, Rac-R-Fins, one piece deck, anodized rails, hinged sundeck, fiberglass helm, rear entry ladder, ski/tow eye, 28-ounce marine carpet, Rotocast seat bases, full instrumentation, tilt wheel.
Options on Test Boat
MerCruiser 425-horse 496 MAG High Output engine, X-Treme interior, yellow bimini and mooring cover, powder coated rails, powder coated side trim, powder coated rails, custom take and graphics, corner storage, trumpet horns, extra battery switch, Clarion package, Captain’s Choice Exhaust, 73 gallon fuel tank with standard 30 gallon, in-toon ski locker, depth finder, hour meter, mood lighting, Flexsteel chair, glove box, power assisted system for hydraulic steering.
Prices
Price As Tested $69,990
(Boat and Motor)
Contact
PlayCraft
P.O. Box 708
Richland, MO 65556
Phone: 573 765 3265
www.playcraftboats.com

THATJEFFGUY
07-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Well after spending the weekend on my bro's 28' pontoon, I'm definitely sold !! For our family's needs, they're so much more practical than a custom boat, and the wife was happy too. So I'm looking at a used 2004 Bennington 2575 Rsi with a Johnson 115. I wanna start relatively small, just to make sure I like it..then probably step up with some big power, and maybe a couple more feet for next year. Any comments on this particular model ?? The owner says he's gotten up tp 50 mph, but that seems a little stretched to me on that motor. What do you guys think ? How much do you think it's worth ?

Wake Havasu
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Everytime someone posts on this thread a fiberglass fairy dies. :cry:

Kilrtoy
07-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Everytime someone posts on this thread a fiberglass fairy dies. :cry:
Add one more..... :boxed:

Havasu1986
07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I guess this is the quickest way to 23,450 posts

Kilrtoy
07-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I guess this is the quickest way to 23,453 posts
what you talking about willis.....
and on that note...
HOW FAST DO YOU THINK A TOON WOULD RUN WITH A VIPER 625 MOTOR

Riveratz
07-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Well after spending the weekend on my bro's 28' pontoon, I'm definitely sold !! For our family's needs, they're so much more practical than a custom boat, and the wife was happy too. So I'm looking at a used 2004 Bennington 2575 Rsi with a Johnson 115. I wanna start relatively small, just to make sure I like it..then probably step up with some big power, and maybe a couple more feet for next year. Any comments on this particular model ?? The owner says he's gotten up tp 50 mph, but that seems a little stretched to me on that motor. What do you guys think ? How much do you think it's worth ?
I have a 2005 Bennington 2575RFS I/O with a 350 Mag 300HP and I only top out to 45-47MPH GPS. I think that is a tad bit stretched. I will say that speed runs empty or loaded with coolers and 6 people on board. Seems with the tripple toons and lifting strakes and a little chop it seems to hold just fine.

Havasu1986
07-09-2006, 06:46 PM
what you talking about willis.....
and on that note...
HOW FAST DO YOU THINK A TOON WOULD RUN WITH A VIPER 625 MOTOR
How did you change my quote about your post count?

waterboy
07-09-2006, 07:02 PM
we made the switch at the end of last year ,we went with a playcraft with the 350 mag love it does everything we want and more :) plus anita at shimmer marine has been great to work with..

Todd969
07-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Todd,
I may have missed it in the thread. Is your JC a 26'? And what is the power 350 mag?
Thanks
26 1/2, 350 mag, All I can tell everybody is to look at them all and get what works for you.

Kilrtoy
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey killer you are the coolest cat on here
Thanks buddy

Havasu_Dreamin
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Having seen Todd's 'toon all I can say is WOW! Very, very, very nice boat!

Old Man Havasu
07-09-2006, 07:57 PM
26 1/2, 350 mag, All I can tell everybody is to look at them all and get what works for you.
Does your tritoon fit under a 8 ft garage door?

Todd969
07-10-2006, 05:25 AM
Does your tritoon fit under a 8 ft garage door?
With the biminis down it will.

Havasu1986
07-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks buddy but your the man. I'm just a boy.
Don't worry you will grow up soon.

Old Man Havasu
07-10-2006, 08:30 AM
When I get this cast off my leg I'm going to test a tri-toon. Sounds like the fun factor is very high.
Can't fit two boats in the garage..
May have a Hallett for sale in a few months!

kanedog
07-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Riveratz-What prop and at what rpm are you getting 45-47mph?
I have a 266 jc with a 350 mag but I can only get 39mph gps.
Todd969-What top speed and at what rpm are you seeing with your 266 jc?

Riveratz
07-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I am running a mirage plus 17P. My boat came with a 15P and peaked out way to quick. Those are cooler months runs. A few weeks back running from the landing to the bridge I was holding a good 43-44mph.

boatnam2
07-10-2006, 12:14 PM
i had one,not the 60mph kind but it went 25 or so.wasnt really into it,didnt like the way it rode.cool for people and such and running it up on the beach.still have it but my buddy makes the payment he loves it.the not having to wash it factor is a big plus also.

kanedog
07-10-2006, 12:33 PM
what rpm Riverratz??

Todd969
07-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I have a 17 pitch and have only seen 38mph loaded in 100 plus temp at 4300rpm going down stream. Max of 34mph at 4400-4500 rpm going up stream.
I RARELY feel the hurry or need to waste the fuel. I can make 3 round trips from our slip to Topock on 50 gallons cruising comfortably at 28-30mph.
Even when Cudmore and Patrick passed me after a 15 minute head start from Topock yesterday I was still smiling.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0667.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0669.JPG

caroftheweek
07-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Our First Impression
For several years, PlayCraft has consistently blown us away with the performance side of the pontoon market. That tradition certainly continues, but on its heels are a few priorities just as important: increased comfort, aesthetics and a breathtaking design.
Consumer Test
Each of its three U-shaped pontoons are powder coated and they perfectly tie into the side panels. The sharp contrast is just as pronounced with the boat’s furnishings, featuring white vinyl overlaid with NASCAR-type graphics. The result of these bright, artistic designs—plus the powder-coated rails—is a layout that just screams excitement.
The sundeck on this boat has the racing graphics theme at its best. It’s a two-person-plus pad with bolsters all around. This massive pad flips up easily, exposing carpeted panels that are removable, so you get excellent access to the massive 425-horse 496 MAG High Output engine. At the boat’s rear entry position we found PlayCraft’s trademark integrated step-in ladder, just as impressive as always.
At the controls, the Powertoon has exceptional appearance and feel. The fiberglass helm console offers a myriad of gauges across its carbon fiber, automotive-style, two-tiered dash.
For the captain, the nice Flexsteel helm chair gives you the comfort and security that you need when handling a pontoon that can kick it up to over 50 miles per hour. Other great features include courtesy rope lighting, an impressive dual trumpet horn at the console, ski/tow eye and a nice Clarion stereo/CD system with eight high-power speakers. There is also a great in-floor ski locker that is built into the center pontoon.
Inspection Test
Three foam filled U-shaped pontoons are the base of this solid craft, and here also lies the magic that allows the Powertoon to bank like a V-hull boat. PlayCraft’s exclusive Rac-R-Fins give the X-Treme series a noticeable boost in performance.
Its logs are bolted directly to the one piece deck. Below the deck, the wiring is excellent and the overall design is clean and well executed. Everything is heavy duty below and all is well reinforced—a very solid boat throughout with an overall excellent fit and finish. There is a total of 18 feet of useable deck space inside the gates on this 27-footer and the boat has an overall spacious feel to the layout. The Rotocast single walled seat bases are screwed to the deck and the over center hinges provide easy access to the storage units below.
Performance Test
With just a flip of a switch, we had the Captain’s Choice thru-hull exhaust rumbling. Then we just sat back in awe (and held on) as this boat jumped out of the hole and onto plane with the speed and agility of a boat half its size. The MerCruiser MAG HO performed flawlessly as the boat rumbled across the lake and banked into corners like a V-hull boat. And at no time did we ever feel unsafe driving it, which says a lot about its construction.
Final Thoughts
A lot of time and effort went into creating this boat and the results are amazing. With its mix of onboard delights and its rip-roaring performance, this boat will provide a fun time on the lake in the most dramatic way possible. Why We Love It
Obviously we can’t say enough about the performance. It’s one thing to have a boat that will go 55 miles per hour, but to have a pontoon that you feel comfortable going that fast is amazing. It’s well built and it can handle it. Just Being Picky
It’s all about the performance, but to be considered a true family boat it could use some of those amenities like a changing room and a refreshment center to really make it complete (however they are available as options). Test Stats
Top Speed 55.1 mph
Db-a @ Idle 65
Fuel @ 3000 31 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder Yes
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
800 4.1 mph 2.8 gph 65
1000 6.3 mph 5.5 gph 69
3500 38.8 mph 40 gph 88
4800 55.1 mph 65 gph 93
Boat Specs
LOA 27’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design Triple Toon
Dry Weight 3950 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Engine & Propeller
Engine MerCruiser 496 HO
Cylinder Type V-8
Propeller 24 Pitch
Standard Features
Triple Toon package with performance shield, foam filled pontoons, Rac-R-Fins, one piece deck, anodized rails, hinged sundeck, fiberglass helm, rear entry ladder, ski/tow eye, 28-ounce marine carpet, Rotocast seat bases, full instrumentation, tilt wheel.
Options on Test Boat
MerCruiser 425-horse 496 MAG High Output engine, X-Treme interior, yellow bimini and mooring cover, powder coated rails, powder coated side trim, powder coated rails, custom take and graphics, corner storage, trumpet horns, extra battery switch, Clarion package, Captain’s Choice Exhaust, 73 gallon fuel tank with standard 30 gallon, in-toon ski locker, depth finder, hour meter, mood lighting, Flexsteel chair, glove box, power assisted system for hydraulic steering.
Prices
Price As Tested $69,990
(Boat and Motor)
Contact
PlayCraft
P.O. Box 708
Richland, MO 65556
www.playcraftboats.com
where are you finding these reviews?

INSman
07-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Todd
I like your double bimini, does that come as an option on yours, only on yours or available from most mfg's as an option ??

Riveratz
07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
what rpm Riverratz??
Holding right around 5000 RPM

Eliminator 4 Life
07-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Todd
I like your double bimini, does that come as an option on yours, only on yours or available from most mfg's as an option ??
Blaine it is an option but it is very popular. So when you get my wheels Ill get you a fat deal on a JC haha.
Frenchie brother when you are ready to pull the trigger on a JC let me know. I will hook you up like cable. E4L :)

Todd969
07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Holding right around 5000 RPM
Ever read you Manual or the engine label? Max RPM on that motor should be 4800.
Blaine, see Robs response.

Eliminator 4 Life
07-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Sorry Todd I figured since i knew I would answer it for you. Did you hear whats coming out next year the 496 in a JC should be pretty awesome cant wait to see it. :cool:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Our First Impression
Consumer Test
Inspection Test
Performance Test
Final Thoughts
A lot of time and effort went into creating this boat and the results are amazing. With its mix of onboard delights and its rip-roaring performance, this boat will provide a fun time on the lake in the most dramatic way possible.
Why We Love It
Obviously we can’t say enough about the performance. It’s one thing to have a boat that will go 55 miles per hour, but to have a pontoon that you feel comfortable going that fast is amazing. It’s well built and it can handle it.
Just Being Picky
It’s all about the performance, but to be considered a true family boat it could use some of those amenities like a changing room and a refreshment center to really make it complete (however they are available as options).
Test Stats
Top Speed 55.1 mph
Db-a @ Idle 65
Fuel @ 3000 31 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder Yes
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
800 4.1 mph 2.8 gph 65
1000 6.3 mph 5.5 gph 69
3500 38.8 mph 40 gph 88
4800 55.1 mph 65 gph 93
Boat Specs
LOA 27’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design Triple Toon
Dry Weight 3950 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Engine & Propeller
Engine MerCruiser 496 HO
Cylinder Type V-8
Propeller 24 Pitch
Standard Features
Options on Test Boat
Prices
Price As Tested $69,990
(Boat and Motor)
Contact
PlayCraft
P.O. Box 708
Richland, MO 65556
www.playcraftboats.com
Thats why I bought mine!!! Cool!

Todd969
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Sorry Todd I figured since i knew I would answer it for you. Did you hear whats coming out next year the 496 in a JC should be pretty awesome cant wait to see it. :cool:
No worries bud, you and Wild Bill know more than I do.
496 is just crazy. They'll need to pull the motor for plug changes.

caroftheweek
07-10-2006, 02:06 PM
whats the advantage to going with the 350 or 496 over 275 mercury outboard? seems to me that the speed is about the same and the fuel consumption is much less. not to mention the outboard seems to be cheaper also. what gives?
Ryan

Todd969
07-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Thats why I bought mine!!! Cool!
Expected delivery when?

Todd969
07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
whats the advantage to going with the 350 or 496 over 275 mercury outboard? seems to me that the speed is about the same and the fuel consumption is much less. not to mention the outboard seems to be cheaper also. what gives?
Ryan
Considered the OB, but then you lose that bitchen swimstep.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Expected delivery when?
I am thinking sometime at the end of this year. They are pretty backed up and I would still like time to sell mine. The longer the better. It wont be used much till next season.

Kilrtoy
07-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Ryan
A 225 will run the same as a 350 and get better mileage and a 496 will be slightly faster, but suck gas....
how about a viper in one, that should raise the bar

Riveratz
07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Power 300HP (224 kW)
Full Throttle Range 4800 – 5200 RPM

Todd969
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Power 300HP (224 kW)
Full Throttle Range 4800 – 5200 RPM
So it's basically WOT. I still haven't pushed it, just don't care about burning gas for no reason. I bought it to cruise.

caroftheweek
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
A 225 will run the same as a 350 and get better mileage and a 496 will be slightly faster, but suck gas....
how about a viper in one, that should raise the bar
so would the 275 merc run with a 496ho? burning less fuel with the same or similar top end and less weight sounds good to me.

bohica
07-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I was a set on getting a Playcraft Powertoon. When out on a test ride and changed my mind as soon as a Sea Doo went flying past us. Now I know their making the PWC faster than ever, but no way in hell was I gonna be passed by one. Ordered up the Conquest that day, best of both worlds.

Havasu1986
07-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Whats the difference $ wise.

kanedog
07-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Frenchie-you started this whole pontoon mess but you havent commented yet. So, wah, whats your take on the whole toon thingy? do you have any favorites ? do you know what motor combo youd like? The masses want to know!!!!!

Kilrtoy
07-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Whats the difference $ wise.
on what
motors or boat companies

Havasu1986
07-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Between the Conquest and Playcraft. Bohica said he went with the faster Conquest.

Todd969
07-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Between the Conquest and Playcraft. Bohica said he went with the faster Conquest.
Playcraft w HO would be right at 65\70k, The Conquest has to be 110k

Riveratz
07-10-2006, 06:49 PM
So it's basically WOT. I still haven't pushed it, just don't care about burning gas for no reason. I bought it to cruise.
I only use it to cruise 99% of the time around 30-35. A lot of my friends have deck boats and when we park they love to just sit on my pontoon cause it is so much more comfortable. I have a two yr old that can just run around all day and be safe.

Mandelon
07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Another plus for you guys is the ease of adding safety bars and a wheelchair ramp...... :rolleyes: :p

kanedog
07-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Frenchie where are you???

FRENCHIE
07-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Frenchie where are you???
ok ...yea ...i am getting a pontoon very shortly...ive got a couple of places to visit. I have however narrowed it down to the JC, playcraft, or possibly avalon or Manitou! i will most likely be goin with the outboard...and i really like the honda V-tec 225 or 275!! .....over!

nodigg
07-11-2006, 07:25 PM
ok ...yea ...i am getting a pontoon very shortly...ive got a couple of places to visit. I have however narrowed it down to the JC, playcraft, or possibly avalon or Manitou! i will most likely be goin with the outboard...and i really like the honda V-tec 225 or 275!! .....over!
REAL curious why a pontoon and not a deck boat for less money and more performance, same space up top?

FRENCHIE
07-11-2006, 07:28 PM
REAL curious why a pontoon and not a deck boat for less money and more performance, same space up top?
i guess its just my flavor...man....im just really wantin a pontoon!! in addition to the down$ize, come september, im gonna start lookin to puchase some kinda home out theya!!!

INSman
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
i guess its just my flavor...man....im just really wantin a pontoon!! in addition to the down$ize, come september, im gonna start lookin to puchase some kinda home out theya!!!
Good idea, not too fun putting gas in the tank all the time :220v:

dicudmore
07-11-2006, 07:34 PM
good luck dude...pontoon boats are a lot of fun :cool:

TCHB
07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
One thing is for sure Frenchie you will have a more $$$$$$$$ in your pocket and still have a good time out at the lake.

kanedog
07-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Frenchie+pontoon=fun.
Holy crap frenchie, you must have pull here on ***boat. 1 thread started and 3700 views and you only checked in at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I tried the honda 225 ob in the jc it went 36mphgps and the swim step is one step on each side of the motor. I thought it was too slow(the 275 verado may be quicker) and I liked the bigass swim step on the back on the inboard better. Not rainin on your parade just letting you know what we found.
Good luck on toon shoppage!

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I guess he is tired of reading SHAKE-YO-AZZ LMAO

INSman
07-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I guess he is tired of reading SHAKE-YO-AZZ LMAO
That is funny right there Mel :)

Froggystyle
07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I didn't have the stomach to read this whole thread, but you guys are aware that there are some boats on the market that are easy to get on and off of, maneuverable, tons of storage for everything you could want and still provide the performance, looks and features we all look for, right?
The old guard in deckboats is just that... old. There is one in particular that getting on and off of is a breeze... ;)
Patio boats are great. I wish my grandparents had one. You can't think for a minute that it answers all of your questions though, can you?

Dave C
07-13-2006, 07:57 AM
oh sure, next thing you're gonna do is post a picture and tell us is that it pulls hotties....... oh wait... nevermind ;) ;)
I didn't have the stomach to read this whole thread, but you guys are aware that there are some boats on the market that are easy to get on and off of, maneuverable, tons of storage for everything you could want and still provide the performance, looks and features we all look for, right?
The old guard in deckboats is just that... old. There is one in particular that getting on and off of is a breeze... ;)
Patio boats are great. I wish my grandparents had one. You can't think for a minute that it answers all of your questions though, can you?

beaverretriever
07-13-2006, 08:24 AM
I dont know much about pontoons, how do they handle rough water?

Havasu Cig
07-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Todd
I agree completely. I go through the gorge now and see all kinds of stuff I never noticed before. We can beach the thing almost anywhere. A lot of the time I have 8-10 friends that go out there on the same weekend and instead of taking 3 boats out we all just go in the pontoon. I can throw my dogs on it and don't have to worry. I get it serviced once a year and don't have to worry about it. The best thing though I think is how comfortable it is once you get to where you are going. 10-15 minutes to the sandbar, and the rest of the day is a lot more comfortable on the pontoon.

Havasu Cig
07-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I hear what you are saying but in my case I did not wan't more fiberglass to worry about. When I told one of the local deckboat dealers what I was looking for he was honest and told me a pontoon would probably be a better boat. With that said, there is a difference between a performance pontoon and one that tops out at 12 mph. I don't think I could handle one that could not break 40mph. :cool:

mxbundy
07-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Saw a boat the other day that had a fiberglass bottom that looked like a production deck boats but the topside was all aluminum like a pontoon. Hurricane was the brand name on the side.
Seems to me this may be the compromise everyone is looking for.
Anybody have the skinny on these boats?
bundy

TCHB
07-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Rough Water (Havasu Saturday Afternoons)
The boat handles the water great. No hard hits at all. The tripple toon boats take the rough water much better than our friends Magic Deck Boat.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-14-2006, 06:09 PM
That is funny right there Mel :)
so when are you going to but the 32s, I dont need them for my whipples

Keith E. Sayre
07-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I used to sell JC's and Benningtons years ago and I feel compelled to make a
few observations to this post and others that I've been reading recently.
(1) before considering a pontoon boat of any kind, I would encourage you to
sit down and think about why you come to the river in the first place. if it is
to relax and be bored and watch the day go by, maybe a pontood works for
you. On the other hand, if like me you are an adrenalin junkie and need your
"boat" fix as often as possible or you like "cruisin'" the channel like you did
Main Street in your dads car when you were 16, then a pontoon boat will NOT
work for YOU. There is no "fix" on the pontoon boat. It's very relaxing and
boring. Once again , assess YOUR needs.
(2) Don't buy a pontoon if you think that you'll be traveling over 45 mph
very often or for very long. there are about one in a hundred pontoon boats
that can actually show you an honest 45 mph with gas, beer and 6 people
on board. Very rare. Those that can enter that domain, will consume fuel
at the same rate as a big blower motor. A friend had a playcraft with a Merc
outboard, I think a 300 and it'd cost him $250 a day to go play. He now has
changed to a Verado, not as speedy but still over $200 a day.
(3) I keep reading about how comfortable these boats are for your friends
and guests to sit on etc. Frankly, when I started coming to the river years
ago, I don't recall worrying about "my friends comfort level" too much. The
fact of the matter was, if they could find a place to sit in my flatbottom,
they were happy to be there. Buy, maintain, pay for and use the boat that
gets YOU what YOU are after because as usual YOU are picking up the tab.
(4) I know personally a few of the people on this thread that are posting up a storm bragging about how much they like their pontoon boat. I may need
to say here that they never were and are not now "hot rod boaters". Granted you don't need a $100,000 fiberglass boat to idle from the marina to
the channel to sit and BS all day. A pontoon boat will work just as well. But when a real "hot rod boater" comes on here and says that he made the change to a pontoon boat and likes it, I'm going to have a coronary.
(5) Remember this, a great deal of people are considering buying a pontoon
boat and making it fast. What's going to happen when one of the pontoons
strikes a small floating object in the water and opens up, you're going to stop right now because it's going to be like a parachute in reverse stopping you.
It will happen, it probably already has somewhere. That scares me.
Not trying to rain on anyones desire to own a nice pontoon, there are some
nice ones out there today. But I think alot of people have maxed out their
dollars on big fast boats, they can't afford to keep running them so their
knee jerk response is to say they've had a change of heart and want to
relax a while. Well, just the fact that they're advertising on here and getting all wound up on the internet tells me that they're still seeking that "fix" so
when they tell me that they're "over it all" . I call BS. I'll predict that 75%
of "hot boaters" will last less than 1 year in a pontoon boat unless it's really
a money issue. Then the money issue will worsen when they try to sell
the pontoon because they're really going to get an eye opener then. I'll
also say that about 100% of real "hotrod boaters" will last less than 6 months.
In closing, remember the "driving" force that made you work 4 -10's last week, or overtime the week before so that you'd have time to come to the
river and the last 8 years of every other saturday at work so that you could
buy that cool boat etc and be able to run it--remember driving 5 hours after
working a 16 hour day to get to the river with your buddies. Will a 30 mph
boat create that same type of excitement and drive in your heart? for some
no, for others absolutely not. Comfort and relaxing are good things, I just
don't see much of that going on here at the river. You can do that at home
for free.
Keith Sayre

Havasu Cig
07-15-2006, 10:23 AM
I hear what you are saying Keith, but in our case we have both boats and the fast one is not getting used. I can't justify having over 150k tied up in a boat that gets used 4 times a year.
If I was still staying in hotels and just blasting all over the lake all day for a weekend like I used to I would probably feel differently. We have found that with the house and friends that also have houses we don't spend as much time on the water as we once did. The time spent on the water is also mostly spent hanging in one or two places so a boat that will hold twenty people, has a bar, sink, BBQ, etc... works better for us.
It was a hard decision to make to sell the fast boat, but when I think about how much it actually gets used it makes no sense to me to keep it. As far as a speed fix I am going to take the $$$ from the boat and put it into a Cobra (car).
Another reason we are going to try a fast car instead of the fast boat is because we live in San Diego. Growing up here I take for granted the nice places there are to use a fun car around here. If I end up missing the boat I will buy another one though.
BTW, Thanks for the advice on the pontoon when we were looking... :cool:

cc322
07-15-2006, 10:44 AM
(4) I know personally a few of the people on this thread that are posting up a storm bragging about how much they like their pontoon boat. I may need
to say here that they never were and are not now "hot rod boaters". Granted you don't need a $100,000 fiberglass boat to idle from the marina to
the channel to sit and BS all day. A pontoon boat will work just as well. But when a real "hot rod boater" comes on here and says that he made the change to a pontoon boat and likes it, I'm going to have a coronary.
strikes a small floating object in the water and opens up, you're going to stop right now because it's going to be like a parachute in reverse stopping you.
relax a while. Well, just the fact that they're advertising on here and getting all wound up on the internet tells me that they're still seeking that "fix" so
of "hot boaters" will last less than 1 year in a pontoon boat unless it's really
In closing, remember the "driving" force that made you work 4 -10's last week, or overtime the week before so that you'd have time to come to the
for free.
Keith Sayre
I think I agree with most of this If not all of it.

Troubles No More
07-15-2006, 12:38 PM
more test info-= JC Poonton
http://www.boattest.com/boats/980/test_results.aspx
JC Pontoon TriToon 246
Watch The Test VideoChoose your connection speed: Dial Up | Broadband
http://www.boattest.com/boats/980/video/broadband/jcpontoon/tritoon246/video.aspx
Test Power: 1 x 225-hp Honda 4-stroke
RPM MPH Knots TotalGPH MPG NMPG Range NM Range dBa
800 2.7 2.3 0.7 3.90 3.39 193 168 54
1000 4.2 3.7 1.5 2.90 2.52 143 125 57
1500 6.1 5.3 2.5 2.49 2.17 123 107 62
2000 8.2 7.1 3.2 2.56 2.23 127 110 75
2500 15.5 13.5 3.6 4.37 3.80 216 188 75
3000 20.6 17.9 4.1 5.01 4.36 248 216 77
3500 25.7 22.3 9.1 2.83 2.46 140 122 77
4000 30.0 26.1 11.3 2.65 2.31 131 114 78
4500 34.1 29.7 12.3 2.78 2.42 138 120 79
5000 37.9 32.9 16.4 2.31 2.01 114 99 78
5500 40.0 34.8 17.5 2.29 1.99 113 98 84
Speeds measured with Stalker ProSports radar gun. Fuel consumption (gallons per hour) measured with Floscan digital fuel-flow meter on gas inboards, sterndrives, and outboards, TechMate electronic scan tool on gas EFI inboards, Caterpillar digital fuel-flow meter on diesel engines, or permanently installed fuel-monitoring equipment. Range is based on 90% of published fuel capacity. Sound levels determined using Radio Shack digital decibel meter on A scale. 68 dBa is the level of normal conversation.
Performance Chart
Test Conditions
Test Power: 1 x 225-hp Honda 4-stroke Time To Plane 3.1 sec.
0 to 30 6.2 sec.
Test Power 1 x 225-hp Honda 4-stroke
Transmission Outboard
Ratio N/A
Props N/A
Load 2 persons, 1/2 fuel, no water, minimal gear
Climate 85 deg., 38% humid.; wind: 3.4 mph; seas: light chop

Troubles No More
07-15-2006, 12:48 PM
COMPARE with the pontoon..496HO
Baja 25 Outlaw
Watch The Test VideoChoose your connection speed: Dial Up | Broadband
http://www.boattest.com/boats/297/test_results.aspx
Test Power: 1 x 425-hp MerCruiser 496 MAG HO
RPM MPH Knots Total GPH MPG NMPG Range NM Range dBa
700 4.3 3.7 1.5 2.93 2.55 251 218 69
1000 6.7 5.8 2.5 2.71 2.36 232 202 67
1500 8.5 7.3 4.1 2.09 1.81 178 155 77
2000 9.2 8.0 6.2 1.48 1.29 127 110 77
2500 24.4 21.2 8.4 2.92 2.54 249 217 81
3000 28.8 25.0 10.7 2.69 2.34 230 200 86
3500 41.1 35.7 15.3 2.69 2.34 230 200 89
4000 55.0 47.8 21.0 2.63 2.28 224 195 90
4500 60.8 52.9 30.2 2.02 1.75 172 150 93
4800 65.6 57.0 31.7 2.07 1.80 177 154 93
Speeds measured with Stalker ProSports radar gun. Fuel consumption (gallons per hour) measured with Floscan digital fuel-flow meter on gas inboards, sterndrives, and outboards, TechMate electronic scan tool on gas EFI inboards, Caterpillar digital fuel-flow meter on diesel engines, or permanently installed fuel-monitoring equipment. Range is based on 90% of published fuel capacity. Sound levels determined using Radio Shack digital decibel meter on A scale. 68 dBa is the level of normal conversation.
Performance Chart
Test Conditions
Test Power: 1 x 425-hp MerCruiser 496 MAG HO Time To Plane 4.4 sec.
0 to 30 8.6 sec.
Test Power 1 x 425-hp MerCruiser 496 MAG HO
Transmission Bravo One
Ratio 1.50:1
Props 15 1/2 x 23 3-blade stainless steel
Load 2 persons, 1/2 fuel, no water, min. gear
Climate 85 deg., 70% humid.; wind: 10-15 knots; seas: 1.5'
Advertising Videos From Baja Special Section Baja Product Video 2006 Dial Up Broadband
Baja Technology Dial Up Broadband

JustDawn
07-15-2006, 02:17 PM
for free.
Keith Sayre
Reading this thread....and Keith's response(Spot on as usual) :cool:
...Reminds me of my neighbor down the street.
He used to have a guards red Turbo Carrera,BIG smile and a wave as he drives by...
Now has a Arctic white mini-van...no more big smile...does not even bother to look over as he drives by... :cry: (PlayDeep)

kennytali
07-15-2006, 03:04 PM
im looking at the jc tritoon and the evolution by evolutionboats im stuck between the two boats any one know a little somthing about either of these boats thanks?

wildbillg
07-15-2006, 06:32 PM
im looking at the jc tritoon and the evolution by evolutionboats im stuck between the two boats any one know a little somthing about either of these boats thanks?
I can tell you anything you want to know
if you want to call me tommarow Ill be at work
1-928-230-1198
(i sell them)

Todd969
07-15-2006, 08:49 PM
for free.
Keith Sayre
Ouch! After having dinner Wednesday I thought this was cleared up. Maybe I am an exception as I have both. So when do you and Ryan want to get together? :rollside:

kanedog
07-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Kennytali-what would you like to know about the toons? I have a 266 jc and I can tell you everything I have learned if that will help you.

unleashed
07-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Get the Pontoon....way less stress! Dont have to worry about gelcoat....beaching in rocks...pulling up to the sand...tying off...less gas...less headaches...more shade...cook on the boat....geeezzzz its a no brainer! Dont get sucked into the bad ass ***boater speed thrill mentality. If you want the speed thrill just ask for a ride I'll give you one when Im not on the pontoon!
Deano

KoolPop
07-16-2006, 07:48 AM
for free.
Keith Sayre
Said like a true salesman, You would'nt have an agenda would you?

PBOCOP
07-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Keith, you are right if you have that adrenalin edge and have to have the speed. That's why a few of my friends couldn't get the toon. But the others had boats that did 80 or so and love the toon.
I disagree about pushing 45 and only on a good day. I can do 45 all day in mine, Playcraft Xtreme Powertoon 26' with a 350. I can usually get closer to 50 all day, unless there is a strong head wind.
The comfort and room is amazing.
I'd still recommend a tri toon to anyone thinking of switching. Like I tell my buddies, just give it a shot, go look at it, look at the options, test drive one. 90% of the ones that have taken it that far and gotten the toon image old man family out of their head, have bought one and love it. I've had mine for 2 years along with the others, and no one is regretting it or thinking about getting out of it. In fact, most of us are looking to upgrading to a newer one if anything. We love the Playcrafts. Also, it is very hard to find a used Xtreme powertoon. Most people love those boats and any used ones sell very quickly. They keep their resale as well.
Can't go wrong, Playcraft Xtreme Powertoon. I'm in the channel here and there, come by and say hi.
Patrick O'Malley

FRENCHIE
07-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Get the Pontoon....way less stress! Dont have to worry about gelcoat....beaching in rocks...pulling up to the sand...tying off...less gas...less headaches...more shade...cook on the boat....geeezzzz its a no brainer! Dont get sucked into the bad ass ***boater speed thrill mentality. If you want the speed thrill just ask for a ride I'll give you one when Im not on the pontoon!
Deano
good summary...ill be askin for a ride soon then!!!
:cool: :p

FRENCHIE
07-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Keith, you are right if you have that adrenalin edge and have to have the speed. That's why a few of my friends couldn't get the toon. But the others had boats that did 80 or so and love the toon.
I disagree about pushing 45 and only on a good day. I can do 45 all day in mine, Playcraft Xtreme Powertoon 26' with a 350. I can usually get closer to 50 all day, unless there is a strong head wind.
The comfort and room is amazing.
I'd still recommend a tri toon to anyone thinking of switching. Like I tell my buddies, just give it a shot, go look at it, look at the options, test drive one. 90% of the ones that have taken it that far and gotten the toon image old man family out of their head, have bought one and love it. I've had mine for 2 years along with the others, and no one is regretting it or thinking about getting out of it. In fact, most of us are looking to upgrading to a newer one if anything. We love the Playcrafts. Also, it is very hard to find a used Xtreme powertoon. Most people love those boats and any used ones sell very quickly. They keep their resale as well.
Can't go wrong, Playcraft Xtreme Powertoon. I'm in the channel here and there, come by and say hi.
Patrick O'Malley
good input..i may be talkin to ya!! :cool:

JustDawn
07-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Said like a true salesman, You would'nt have an agenda would you?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yeah that Keith always an agenda....
He works at Conquest...yet steered me towards my Eliminator(go figure?)
I know of several people from Hot Boat who own boats other than Conquest,that Keith found for them...No finders fee...no agenda...
About the only guy I know who would rather find you want you want or need as opposed to what he sells...(Agenda?)
...Considering how many people he's helped (non Conquest owners)from these boards...that post is a pretty cheap shot...(PlayDeep)

Troubles No More
07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Pontoon & Deckboat Forums.
If you need more information about pontoons or you can subscribe to the hot pontoon & deck Boat Magazine..
forums-
http://www.pontoon.net/fusetalk/forum/index.cfm?forumid=3
magazine-
http://www.pontoon.net/

Marty Gras
07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
We have an old 1986 Gregor pontoon, it has been in the Havasu marina since new. We bought it to use as a floating island, getaway,porno set, and base for our boat design testing. Often we would come out to Havasu on monday after racing at Bluewater or Bullhead City. We would tie the flatbottoms to the 'toon' and find a nice smooth empty cove. The rest of the day was spent in "low key mode", firing up the blender and "hot laps" with our blown drag boats. Sorry to say, everything has changed since then, people today have boats that "impress", not boats they are really happy to own, operate or pay for. Overcrowding, noise laws, and personal watercraft, prevent all of us from doing what we did on this lake so many years ago. Our 'toon' boat is old and unimpressive, but it is safe and reliable. Last year we pulled up in the channel next to some people with a older 20' Eliminator boat, we heard the wife comment about our "junky boat" and how it should not be allowed in the channel. Would she think better of my wife and I if we had a NEW PONTOON? Do each of us need to meet a "standard of beauty" to be able to park in the channel or lake? We meet people and make friends with 'the people' not with their "bitchen boat", we don't care if you even have a boat. Is the change from "speed boat" to "pontoon boat" a change in social position, in social power, or in a percieved idea that "going down to a pontoon" means you are short on cash? Could it be that no matter how much money you spend, your speedboat is never the fastest on this lake? We enjoy the "show" in the channel, we like the beautiful boats and beautiful people, (and the pets!) that's why we go down there. We just don't equate your boat to who YOU are, or want to be. Also some customers need sales people to guide them into a boat purchase, others already know what they want/need. Who can really say what boat is correct for anyone else. If I said HI! to you yesterday in your DCB, I'll still say HI! to you in your pontoon or even on the sidewalk today. I'm saying Hi! to YOU, not your boat status. PS to the lady that didn't like our old POS boat, your bitchen 80's Eliminator has parts of it's V-drive rigging made by our little POS shop, and you should watch what you say out loud. Not all of the people in the channel are there to impress you, some of us just like to kick back and observe.

Troubles No More
07-17-2006, 04:10 AM
We have an old 1986 Gregor pontoon, it has been in the Havasu marina since new. We bought it to use as a floating island, getaway,porno set, and base for our boat design testing. Often we would come out to Havasu on monday after racing at Bluewater or Bullhead City. We would tie the flatbottoms to the 'toon' and find a nice smooth empty cove. The rest of the day was spent in "low key mode", firing up the blender and "hot laps" with our blown drag boats. Sorry to say, everything has changed since then, people today have boats that "impress", not boats they are really happy to own, operate or pay for. Overcrowding, noise laws, and personal watercraft, prevent all of us from doing what we did on this lake so many years ago. Our 'toon' boat is old and unimpressive, but it is safe and reliable. Last year we pulled up in the channel next to some people with a older 20' Eliminator boat, we heard the wife comment about our "junky boat" and how it should not be allowed in the channel. Would she think better of my wife and I if we had a NEW PONTOON? Do each of us need to meet a "standard of beauty" to be able to park in the channel or lake? We meet people and make friends with 'the people' not with their "bitchen boat", we don't care if you even have a boat. Is the change from "speed boat" to "pontoon boat" a change in social position, in social power, or in a percieved idea that "going down to a pontoon" means you are short on cash? Could it be that no matter how much money you spend, your speedboat is never the fastest on this lake? We enjoy the "show" in the channel, we like the beautiful boats and beautiful people, (and the pets!) that's why we go down there. We just don't equate your boat to who YOU are, or want to be. Also some customers need sales people to guide them into a boat purchase, others already know what they want/need. Who can really say what boat is correct for anyone else. If I said HI! to you yesterday in your DCB, I'll still say HI! to you in your pontoon or even on the sidewalk today. I'm saying Hi! to YOU, not your boat status. PS to the lady that didn't like our old POS boat, your bitchen 80's Eliminator has parts of it's V-drive rigging made by our little POS shop, and you should watch what you say out loud. Not all of the people in the channel are there to impress you, some of us just like to kick back and observe.
well said
Bo Diddley song-
You can't judge an apple by looking at a tree
You can't judge honey by looking at the bee
You can't judge a daughter by looking at the mother
You can't judge a book by looking at the cover
Oh can't you see, oh you misjudge me
I look like a farmer, but I'm a lover
Oh come on in closer baby,
hear what else I gotta say!
You got your radio turned down too low
Turn it up!
You can't judge sugar by looking at the cane
You can't judge a woman by looking at her man
You can't judge a sister by looking at her brother
I look like a farmer, but I'm a Lover
You can't judge a fish by lookin' in the pond
You can't judge right from looking at the wrong
You can't judge one by looking at the other
I look like a farmer, but I'm a lover

99 232 baja
07-17-2006, 04:53 AM
After seeing alot of toons on the lake this past weekend,I started to like the ideal of comfort and room. The one question I have not seen yet is how do the trailer? Are they lighter? Do you get more MPG when trailering?

Riveratz
07-17-2006, 06:26 AM
After seeing alot of toons on the lake this past weekend,I started to like the ideal of comfort and room. The one question I have not seen yet is how do the trailer? Are they lighter? Do you get more MPG when trailering?
Mine is heavy and like a parachute behind the truck..(2500HD) My friend pulls his 28' Cat better than I do.

Havasu Cig
07-17-2006, 08:44 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yeah that Keith always an agenda....
He works at Conquest...yet steered me towards my Eliminator(go figure?)
I know of several people from Hot Boat who own boats other than Conquest,that Keith found for them...No finders fee...no agenda...
About the only guy I know who would rather find you want you want or need as opposed to what he sells...(Agenda?)
...Considering how many people he's helped (non Conquest owners)from these boards...that post is a pretty cheap shot...(PlayDeep)
Keith is a great guy. He actually reccomended the pontoon for us after test driving a Conquest and telling him what we were looking for. Instead of trying to sell us on the boat he was going to make money on he gave us a truthful opinion of what he thought would work best for us. Keith is one of the good guys in the boating industry. :cool:

Havasu Cig
07-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Screw her, I could care less what you own. Some of the people I hang with have expensive boats, some have middle of the road boats, and some don't even own boats. I don't care what you own, if I think you are an a$$hole I really don't want to be around you. If you are cool to hang with then that is all that matters. I think it is kind of cool actually though that we don't get mush attention in the pontoon. It can get old answering stupid questions about the Skater sometimes. You get the drunks out there that want to climb in the boat, ask how much it cost etc... Most of the time I just want to hang out and watch the show. :cool:

Marty Gras
07-17-2006, 09:19 AM
PS. Please remember, when greeting friends on the lake always use ALL FIVE FINGERS in your wave! Not just one!

havasu haulin
07-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Play Craft is the way to go when Havasu gets rough i just pass all those open bow boats bouncin off the waves.

Keith E. Sayre
07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Perhaps I will say it again for the few that may have overlooked it, try to
figure out why YOU come to the river and evaluate YOUR needs and your
wifes needs and your kids needs, then if there's anything left your friends needs. If you are the adrenalin junkie, don't tease yourself into thinking
you'll be able to get "over it" by buying a pontoon. You know which ones you are, you're the guy that ran that flatbottom or 18' jet boat through 4 foot
swells out to Catalina that one year, went around the island at Havasu when you were 20 years old wide open throttle at 2 in the morning drunk as a skunk, probably blew up a dozen motors over the years trying to race the guy down stream on the river, borrowed a Chevelle station wagon from your uncle one Memorial day so that you could put th396 car engine in your flattie and then had to get it back into the family wagon before he figured it out on tuesday! Comfort? space? relaxing? Not in your vocabulary when it comes to
boating.
If and I will repeat IF you are the adrenalin junkie--you'll likely never get over it and you'll hate the pontoon experience enough to probably make you quit boating completely. That's not good.
OR
If you're trying to recoup some of the money that you've spent on big and fast boats so now is a time to be thrifty--hey we've all been there so go get in line with Deano for that "adrenalin" ride, you'll recover and be ok in a few years and you can buy what you want. You'll learn to deal with a pontoon
because deep down inside you know that it is a temporary situation.
OR
If you're content to relax at the river and chill out & be semi comatose in order to deal with your life or job or whatever back home, then the pontoon boat could be the perfect solution. Go see Billy Gardner at the boat brokers,
he'll take good care of you.
Just trying to point out some things that some may not consider. Knee jerk
decisions can end up costing big bucks if you make the wrong one. Only you
can really assess YOUR wants and needs. Just because someone else likes it
doesnt' mean anything.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Froggystyle
07-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Knee jerk
decisions can end up costing big bucks if you make the wrong one. Only you can really assess YOUR wants and needs. Just because someone else likes it doesnt' mean anything.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Yeah... what he said.
Anyone want to trade my Ducati for a Rhino? ;)

BajaMike
07-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I understand they handle rough water very well....
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15623
:yuk: :cool: :)

TCHB
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
As things change our wants and needs also change. I am glad we all like different equipment (boats, jeeps,cars,homes, ladies etc.). Can you imagine if we had the same boats!!!!!!!!!!

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-18-2006, 07:56 PM
I am sold
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_058-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_065-med.jpg

Todd969
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I am sold
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_058-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_065-med.jpg
Good for you Mel :)

TCHB
08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Here is a picture of the newest design in toons. The center is much larger than the two side toons. I turns much better and is faster (5mph) when tested with same outboard engines. With a large outboard it ran 49 GPS http://www.pdbmagazine.com/fusetalk/attachments/boat%20aft%20port%20qtr%20crop%20900w1%2Ejpg MPH.

havasu haulin
08-08-2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16286 http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16287 I f you want a fast toon go with a Playcraft I tried all of the so called performance toons and Playcraft Extreme toons out performed them all

TCHB
08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
There are many real nice tripple toon boats but the facts are pretty clear with the new Manatou boat. The Mantou went 49.5 with a 225 HP stock outboard. The playcraft below did go a little faster but it had a 496HO under the hood. Most of the performance toons(tripples, lifting strakes, skinned) run pretty close to the same with the same HP except for the new Manatou boat.
Playcraft Data
Top Speed 55.1 mph
Db-a @ Idle 65
Fuel @ 3000 31 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates 3
Boarding Ladder Yes

TCHB
08-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Here is the Playcraft data from the boat tests with a 225 HP Mercury outboard.
Top Speed: 45.2 mph
Db-a @ Idle: 84
Fuel @ 3000: 9.3 gph
Any Rattles? None
No. of Gates: 4
Boarding Ladder: Yes
Mileage
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
800 1.5 0.1 68.5
1000 4.7 0.3 71.5
1500 6.5 0.3 81.5
2000 9.3 2.3 82
2500 16 3.3 85
3000 20.3 6.0 89.5
3500 25 8.0 93.5
4000 29.2 9.8 99
4500 32.5 12.3 100
5000 36.1 13.8 102
5500 40.5 18.5 104.5
6000 42.1 20.8 106
Boat Specs
LOA: 26’
Beam: 8’ 6”
Hull Design: 3-24-inch diameter U-shaped logs
Dry Weight: 2750 lbs.
Load Capacity: 15 People
Fuel Capacity: 30 Gallons
Engine & Propeller
Engine: Mercury 225 EFI
Cylinder Type: V6
Cubic-inch Displacement/ Horsepower: 185ci/225hp
Lower Unit Gear Ratio: 1.75:1
Propeller: Vengence 19

TCHB
08-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Mantou Data
RPM Speed Fuel DB-a
600 2.25 mph N/A 60
1000 4.6 mph N/A 68.5
1500 6.6 mph N/A 67.5
2000 9.7 mph N/A 70
2500 15.6 mph N/A 72
3000 21.1 mph N/A 74
3500 25.3 mph N/A 79
4000 28.5 mph N/A 82
4500 36 mph N/A 83.5
5000 42 mph N/A 87.5
5500 48 mph N/A 91
5800 49.5 mph N/A 91.5
Boat Specs
LOA 24’
Beam 8’ 6”
Hull Design 3 Pontoons
Dry Weight 2715 lbs.
Load Capacity 15 People
Fuel Capacity 28 Gallons
Engine & Propeller
Engine Evinrude 225 E-TEC
Cylinder Type V-6
Displacement/HP 200ci/200hp
Lower Unit Gear Ratio 1.85:1
Propeller 19 Pitch

Todd969
08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Y'all have the wrong idea about a pontoon. The idea is to relax. If you need to go that fast keep your current fuel burner. :)

TCHB
08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
You are right it is nice to cruise around the lake and enjoy the ride with great people.

dicudmore
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Y'all have the wrong idea about a pontoon. The idea is to relax. If you need to go that fast keep your current fuel burner. :)
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT :cool:
btw, good to see your Nordic wet this weekend

hipcash
08-08-2006, 08:22 PM
I feel like I got the best of both worlds with my Playcraft

Mrs.Killer
08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Compare apples to apples, JC is in a class, actually a couple of classes higher than the evolution, Yes they look nice, but are put together poorly

Mrs.Killer
08-08-2006, 08:39 PM
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT :cool:
btw, good to see your Nordic wet this weekend
Sure throttle bitch :boxed:

mbrown2
08-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Ditto....pontoons are great if the following are true
1. You don't like or are tired of going fast and need a floating family room.
2. You can have a floating family room and a fast boat to still quench your thirst for speed.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2006, 08:54 PM
YOUR DAMN RIGHT KEITH SAYRE HAS AN AGENDA
His agenda is to see people happy and alot of times that means in a boat OTHER than a conquest.....
I agree with Keith! I would regret selling my boat and getting a pontoon.
I went out in TODD969's toon and it killed me....
Granted the toon is beautiful and has alot to offer. The kids loved being pulled on the tube behind it and I enjoyed watching them, But the wife and I could not stomach the boat for more than the time we were on it..... The kids want a toon bad, until we went back on my boat and the kids and wife said DO NOT SELL THIS BOAT.(WE ALL KNOW ITS THE WIFES BOAT AND MONEY)

dicudmore
08-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Sure throttle bitch :boxed:
you know I luv ya...even though you call me names like that :p

dicudmore
08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
His agenda is to see people happy and alot of times that means in a boat OTHER than a conquest.....
Granted the toon is beautiful and has alot to offer. The kids loved being pulled on the tube behind it and I enjoyed watching them, But the wife and I could not stomach the boat for more than the time we were on it..... The kids want a toon bad, until we went back on my boat and the kids and wife said DO NOT SELL THIS BOAT.(WE ALL KNOW ITS THE WIFES BOAT AND MONEY)
I agree...pontoon is great for hanging out on, and GREAT for cruising in the winter time...but I could not own one as my only boat.

BshyBvrGirl
08-09-2006, 05:26 AM
We keep 3 boats. One for fishing, one for watersports, and one for cruising...especially when the water's choppy. The 'toon is definitely the ladies boat and the little kids in the family love it for tubing. Great for hanging out, bbqing, and having a beer, but it's nice to have some other options out there.

Mrs.Killer
08-09-2006, 06:20 AM
you know I luv ya...even though you call me names like that :p
You know i love you to, wish i was a throttle bitch. Oh by the way, thanks for visiting me yesterday.....

Todd969
08-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Sorry you got a tummy ache. I didn't realize that it was that bad. Go back to the first page. "Fast is not what this is about". If you want a fast ride, ask Hipcash ( Kerry ) to take you for a spin in his Playcraft.

Not So Fast
08-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Exactly correct finally :D Having come from the slower moving crowd (not that my present boat is fast) I DID NOT LIKE IT!! Maybe later but not now for a pontoon! Everybody has to make their own choice period. Get what floats your boat (no pun intended)
I think I saw you make a run by the sandbar on Fri K.T., what was your speed if you dont mind me asking, we have a bet going, I said about 90mph??? NSF

Kilrtoy
08-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Exactly correct finally :D Having come from the slower moving crowd (not that my present boat is fast) I DID NOT LIKE IT!! Maybe later but not now for a pontoon! Everybody has to make their own choice period. Get what floats your boat (no pun intended)
I think I saw you make a run by the sandbar on Fri K.T., what was your speed if you dont mind me asking, we have a bet going, I said about 90mph??? NSF
I made 2 runs, one was at 90 N/B and the other was at 95 S/B

Kilrtoy
08-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Sorry you got a tummy ache. I didn't realize that it was that bad. Go back to the first page. "Fast is not what this is about". If you want a fast ride, ask Hipcash ( Kerry ) to take you for a spin in his Playcraft.
TODD. Your boat is very nice and has alot to offer, we enjoyed the time out there, Hell we were someones V the other day and it was killing us to go that slow and they were running in the mid 60's. IT TOO KILLED US....
BUT We enjoy the rush of speed(in a vehicle, boat motorcycle that is)
Totooling along at that those speeds ,we found out just was not for us, NO KNOCK ON THE BOAT AT ALL.......

Todd969
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
TODD. Your boat is very nice and has alot to offer, we enjoyed the time out there, Hell we were someones V the other day and it was killing us to go that slow and they were running in the mid 60's. IT TOO KILLED US....
BUT We enjoy the rush of speed(in a vehicle, boat motorcycle that is)
Totooling along at that those speeds ,we found out just was not for us, NO KNOCK ON THE BOAT AT ALL.......
I know what you meant, it was a good opportunity to poke at ya. We will take the kids tubing again soon. Next time I'll bring some pepmo. :wink:

Mrs.Killer
08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I know what you meant, it was a good opportunity to poke at ya. We will take the kids tubing again soon. Next time I'll bring some pepmo. :wink:
Thanks, we had a great time...

2forcefull
06-17-2007, 08:57 PM
so, how everyone lik'n the toons???????

Mohave Vice
06-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Great!!

caroftheweek
06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Ours is due in this week and we are supposed to pick it up this weekend. I will let you know how we like it in a week...:)
Ryan

KoolPop
06-18-2007, 03:57 AM
SORRY WILDBILL
ditto, we're on our 2nd playcraft.

Todd969
06-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Just fine thanks:D But they aren't for everyone.

hipcash
06-18-2007, 07:06 AM
We love our Playcraft with the 496HO. Its very roomy and can cruise 50 all day long.

Redwing247
06-18-2007, 07:46 AM
You can play the Twister onboard :D :D

yopengo
06-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Actually this weekend was my first trip out on the Playcraft Tri-toon (picked up a nice a used one). I have always had HP boats and this thing was a blast. Like Todd has always said it’s a different feeling (less stress just cruising around on the toon). We were out on Friday and Saturday. Most of the good beaches were taken so we found a nice cove and just anchored out of the wind. We swam and had a great time. I was amazed how well these things handle the chop. I really wanted a JC but not knowing if I would like the slow cruising style of a toon. I went for a used Playcraft that I could pay cash for and not have a payment. :D
Next year I will pick up a used jet boat and get my thrills. :idea:

Riverguy92345
06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Went from a blown fuel hydro on the water at parker to a slow pontoon. What a change...lol...Now that the dance pole is on the front of the deck, i don't miss the hydro so much..To each there own, but i use to get 4 quarter mile passes on 5 gallons. Now i can go for 2 days.

nodigg
06-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Just fine thanks:D But they aren't for everyone.
Sure, they are fine until your wife starts running over fountain kids in the channel:mad: :D

River918
06-23-2007, 02:18 AM
A few weeks ago the wife and I were at Park Moabi when a bitchen pontoon boat went by that had two "recliner" type seats for the driver and passenger...Can someone tell me who makes that boat.....?

phebus
06-23-2007, 04:45 AM
A few weeks ago the wife and I were at Park Moabi when a bitchen pontoon boat went by that had two "recliner" type seats for the driver and passenger...Can someone tell me who makes that boat.....?
I would guess a Playcraft. I know they have a model with a dual helm and captains chairs.
Platcraft, Bennington, and JC Tritoon all offer the "recliner" type captains chairs and very nice boats.

TCHB
06-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Most of the manufactures will put the captain chairs in or you can order one and do the same. I agree with one thing on the toons just like most boats put the biggest HP you can afford. I wanted to put two Honda 225s on the back but at the time they would not do it. Now they will!!

TCHB
06-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Another thing if you want to keep them clean you still have the same routine.
1. Wipe Down Wipe Down Wipe Down
2. Wax
3. Clean interior
4. Detail Detail Detail

phebus
06-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Another thing if you want to keep them clean you still have the same routine.
1. Wipe Down Wipe Down Wipe Down
2. Wax
3. Clean interior
4. Detail Detail Detail
I agree 100%. One of the biggest myths of a pontoon boat is that there is very little or no maintenance or care required. If you have pride of ownership, you will take care of whatever it is, and a pontoon boat has a lot of surface area that takes time to wipe and clean just like any other boat. It's hard to find a nice used pontoon because of the mentality that not much is required when you own one.

HavaSkank
06-23-2007, 06:43 AM
I love my dorky Sun Tracker. I keep feeding it high performance fuel in hopes that someday I'll walk outside and it'll turn into Phebus' boat.

bigq
06-23-2007, 07:33 AM
81 MPH on Lake X !!!! WOW
http://www.playcraftboats.com/record.htm

TCHB
06-23-2007, 08:05 AM
It is kind of interesting to compare performance numbers with equal power.
1. 26-27 tripple Toon Boat with 496 HO 60 MPH
2. Deck boat (magic, conquest) 65 MPH

bigq
06-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Check this one out. Interesting hull design and with the Volvo DPX you have full hydraulic steering.
http://www.pontoons.com/ptx_performance/

River918
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I would guess a Playcraft. I know they have a model with a dual helm and captains chairs.
Platcraft, Bennington, and JC Tritoon all offer the "recliner" type captains chairs and very nice boats.
Is there a Playcraft hook-up person on here somewhere..?

TCHB
06-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes they are changing.
1. Toon sizes
2. Lifting strakes all tunes
3. Larger center toons small outer toons
4. Flat toons at the rear
5. Larger engines
6. Dual engines

phebus
06-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't see the reasoning behind the super high performance toons. It's like putting lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig. If people want high performance, I suggest they get a hull that's better designed for high performance.

3 daytona`s
06-23-2007, 10:03 AM
They make first class Toons. Not cheap but very nice high quality.

River918
06-23-2007, 10:04 AM
They make first class Toons. Not cheap but very nice high quality.
That's the truth... I called this morning and a 2700Extreme with a mag/ho, the guy told me over 70k :jawdrop: :jawdrop: .....

phebus
06-23-2007, 10:07 AM
There is a very nice JC Tritoon 266 in the spam section with a 350 mag. Ultra clean boat, and a good deal.

3 daytona`s
06-23-2007, 10:13 AM
That's the truth... I called this morning and a 2700 with a mag/ho, the guy told me over 70k :jawdrop: :jawdrop: .....
Had no clue that steep.totally ridiculous. Just thought would suggest them won`t again:D

caroftheweek
06-23-2007, 11:21 AM
when you have to pay $70k for a tooner, they start to lose their appeal. Hell, $50k is hard to swallow for a piece of plywood and a few aluminum pontoons.

Daytona100
06-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't see the reasoning behind the super high performance toons. It's like putting lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig. If people want high performance, I suggest they get a hull that's better designed for high performance.
Now that makes perfect sense!!!!!!!!!

caroftheweek
i agree with you to a point. a few years back, we had a 24' eliminator v-bottom merc 454/bravo. we were crusing along is some pretty good chop for that boat and along comes this tooner. he was running pretty good. so i stepped it up and he did the same. pretty soon I was going as fast as i could in that water and this guy just kept pulling from me. I was pissed.
I have never forgot that moment. I have always thought that it would be pretty neat to have a "sleeper" boat to screw with people.
Now our new Alcoa cruiser won't do that but it should get out of its own way pretty good.

PBOCOP
I switched to the Playcraft 26 Xtreme Powertoon almost 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did. A few of my friends have done the same, and will never do anything else. Mine only has a 350 in it, but gets up to 45 right out of the hole very quick. Cruises at 55 mph. Best part is you just hit go and don't feel a thing. So nice. So much room.
I wipe down the outside after each day, but compared to a deck boat or normal boat, the cleaning is half what it was. Just not as much to wipe down and clean.
Best choice I ever made. Playcraft can be totally custom ordered also. Placement of seats, design, graphics, interior colors, sinks, fridges, etc.
Shimmer Marine just outside Windsor Beach Launch ramp is the Havasu dealer.
Good luck.
Patrick O'Malley