PDA

View Full Version : Need Stereo Help-- new system for DCB

roln 20s
01-07-2006, 02:35 PM
I'd love to put a huge stereo in my new Mach 26 DCB, but don't need a crazy stereo or spending $4-$8K.
Here is what I would like:
4 quality coaxial speakers
1 (10 or 12") sub
5 channel amp
Questions:
A quality 5 channel amp with Class A/B for 4 speakers and a Class D sub channel. What do you guys recommend? I'd like to keep it under $500--but all recommendations are appreciated.
What sub and speakers do you recommend? I would like to run the same brand if possible.
I plan on using an Alpine CD receiver (XM and IPOD ready) with the IPOD adapter. Any good or bad experience with these decks in boats?
Thanks,
Roln 20s

roln 20s
01-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks SWB-- trying to find some more info on these Autotek amps. I am not familiar with Autotek amps. What else do you know? If I spent more than $500 for the amp, what would you get? I am familiar with Focal speakers and know of their high end presence.
Thanks again,
Roln 20s

ROZ
01-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Any partcular reason you need 1 footprint? I can help out with a couple small JL amps... 3004 and a 250-1? May be able to help out on the focal, too... You know I hoked Toby up ...lol ;) :D

Phat Matt
01-07-2006, 07:22 PM
If you are only going with 4 speakers make sure they are placed right. It makes a big difference. Put them as high as you can or angle them up from the floor.
Have fun. :)

roln 20s
01-07-2006, 08:33 PM
If you are only going with 4 speakers make sure they are placed right. It makes a big difference. Put them as high as you can or angle them up from the floor.
Have fun. :)
Exactly...I have heard that before and plan to mount then next to the throttles and high next to the rear seat. Thanks for confirming everyone else's advice.
See you on the water.
Roln 20s

roln 20s
01-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Any partcular reason you need 1 footprint? I can help out with a couple small JL amps... 3004 and a 250-1? May be able to help out on the focal, too... You know I hoked Toby up ...lol ;) :D
Thanks so much, and even though I talk to Toby all the time, I never knew you were the one that got him his stuff.
Here is the system I really want:
3 pair of Focal Coax
2 JL audio 12s
1 JL audio e6450 (for all speakers)
1 JL audio Slash 250 or 500 for the subs
The problem hasn't been the price of the components, its been the install cost for all this stuff.
I'm still trying to finalize what I want..send me a PM with a setup you recommend and the price of the components.
Thanks,
Patrick

boxscore
01-08-2006, 07:35 AM
I've had a couple 5 channel amps in the past. They've never performed well. You may spend another couple hundred bucks with two amps and get reliable power out of them.

rivercrazy
01-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Couldn't agree more with the recommendation to go with 2 amps. Get a seperate class D sub amp and another amp to power your comp's. Another brand that you may consider is JBL. Solid quality, underrated power output, warranty, and for reasonable pricing. A PX600.2 would send about 150 watts to each of your component speakers.
If your not planning any future stereo additions, you just might consider 6X9's. They will be louder than 6.5's. Just get higher quality 6X9's such as MB Quart's, Infinity Kappa 693.7i's or JBL 953's.

riverbound
01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe you should hold off on the stereo until you can afford to do it right????
Why would you sacrifice the quality of the install and sound to save a couple $$ on the install labor??
It baffles me that you would go with one of the best boats on the market....underpower it in both the motor and stereo dept. all in the name of saving a few bucks. Are you going to put ARCO or Costco gas in your boat too???

MR HARLEY
01-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Why not go with what DCB offers you or maybe move up to a Phase one ? I brain stormed about going this route with our stereo install. I could have even provided the product and saved money.
However after all the pros and cons were laid out , we still ended up going with what the manufacture offered.
Is it worth the money ? may be maybe not (depending on what phase you go ), but knowing if something does fail while using the builders products , they will stand behind it and replace and or fix without hesitation. That in itself was a big reason we went with thier product and install , less all around hassle, (peace of mind).

h2oski2fast
01-09-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm looking for a Boat Bling cover. I have my own design that I want to have made, it's on my business card. Also, I want it polished with my logo etched into it, then the whole thing hard annodized. I dont want to pay more then $50 for it and a need it by the weekend.

riverbound
01-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm looking for a Boat Bling cover. I have my own design that I want to have made, it's on my business card. Also, I want it polished with my logo etched into it, then the whole thing hard annodized. I dont want to pay more then $50 for it and a need it by the weekend.
Is it going on your Fountain 42' with a single 496?? :rolleyes:

TOBTEK
01-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Why not go with what DCB offers you or maybe move up to a Phase one ? I brain stormed about going this route with our stereo install. I could have even provided the product and saved money.
However after all the pros and cons were laid out , we still ended up going with what the manufacture offered.
Is it worth the money ? may be maybe not (depending on what phase you go ), but knowing if something does fail while using the builders products , they will stand behind it and replace and or fix without hesitation. That in itself was a big reason we went with thier product and install , less all around hassle, (peace of mind).
I have to agree.....save yourself all the brain damage and running around and just get one of daves basic systems. Plus if you get a pump'n system you wont be able to hear that whipple when installed :) Save yourself the time and money, go phase one or two and call it good! You should have swung by Havasu this weekend....we had a good time.

1manshow
01-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Maybe check into the pierced 7 inch 2 way i think they sound really good for the price.

h2oski2fast
01-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Is it going on your Fountain 42' with a single 496?? :rolleyes:
No, the 54' OL (I just ordered, they are putting the final touches on the paint right now) with a single 496 mated to an Alfa drive I had sitting in the garage, that came off my '75 tri-hull.

riverbound
01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
No, the 54' OL (I just ordered, they are putting the final touches on the paint right now) with a single 496 mated to an Alfa drive I had sitting in the garage, that came off my '75 tri-hull.
sweet. I have some old linear amps in my garage and a couple stock Ford speakers....lets put a system in it.
Will the motors be set up for 87 octane??

Cole Trickle
01-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Patrick,
Set a budget for equipment and have ROZ go to town on a good package that will get you the most bang for your buck.(I like the 2 amp setup with 2 12's and 3 pairs of Focals)
Have DCB run all the wires and then do the install yourself.(I would help you if you lived closer...Shoot Riverbound and H20ski2fast would work there ass off if you had free beer,Patron and pretty girls in bikinis to look at :p )

riverbound
01-09-2006, 10:39 AM
...Shoot Riverbound and H20ski2fast would work there ass off if you had free beer,Patron and pretty girls in bikinis to look at :p )
I might be able to arrange something. In the NEAR future. but Im not the type that will cut corners to save a buck. Do it right do it once.

Cole Trickle
01-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I might be able to arrange something. In the NEAR future. but Im not the type that will cut corners to save a buck. Do it right do it once.
Still thinking huh....
Your too old and smart to be crawling under car dashes.I would guess that you will run the place and handle the sales and have a crew do the installs?
If you open a shop in corona I could be the creepy guy that hangs out way too much on weekends when I move out there. :crossx:

riverbound
01-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Still thinking huh....
Your too old and smart to be crawling under car dashes.I would guess that you will run the place and handle the sales and have a crew do the installs?
If you open a shop in corona I could be the creepy guy that hangs out way too much on weekends when I move out there. :crossx:
Beyond thinking about it.....and you wont see me under the dash of anything ;)
I will be in OC. not too far from my house (if everything works out)

mbrown2
01-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Patrick,
I agree with Toby.....I went pretty crazy on my system but I went with their components; back then they did not even do Odyssey Batteries so that was the only thing I had to bring......I might have questioned their gear choices (its all preference most of the time), but it has performed nicely in my boat.
Also, don't go with less then 6 coax or component speakers; go with two 12" subs at least and go with two amps. Boat systems need to make a lot of bass, so the amps run pretty hard; add the outside temps to a hard driving amp and that would kill a 5 channel in a boat really quick. You need a seperate class D amp for the sub.

h2oski2fast
01-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually closer to my house, :rolleyes: :cry: :rolleyes:

Cole Trickle
01-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Beyond thinking about it.....and you wont see me under the dash of anything ;)
Cool and congrats
I know the store you are talking about.I have never been inside but passed it alot when I went to O.C.C.
Are you keeping the name or changing it?
Riverbounds F.U.N. Stereo shop has a good ring to it;)

h2oski2fast
01-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Cool and congrats
I know the store you are talking about.I have never been inside but passed it alot when I went to O.C.C.
He can't use F.U.N., I trade marked it. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Cole Trickle
01-09-2006, 11:21 AM
He can't use F.U.N., I trade marked it. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
That's HOT!!! (Shit I might owe royalties now)
I need a black logo stat for letterhead!!!
My pops said he talked to you about it but wanted me to follow up.(We need to order letterhead in a big big way)
Did you get my last email?(back on 12/27)

wright27
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
go with two amps. bridge the base makes more power with less money. I used a two channel four my 4 6 1/2 and bridged those also drops the ohms and produce more power for the money. I would look at memphis that stuff absolutley kicks ass ,great company.

riverbound
01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Cool and congrats
Same name (franchise). Should turn out to be a good location, just needs the right person in there to run it.

Cole Trickle
01-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Same name (franchise). Should turn out to be a good location, just needs the right person in there to run it.
Who is that gonna be? :crossx:

riverbound
01-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Who is that gonna be? :crossx:
Dont know...tell you when I find him/her :rolleyes:
:D

mbrown2
01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the new venture. Good luck! :)

h2oski2fast
01-09-2006, 12:34 PM
You should buy a pizza place instead, I already have a stereo hook up. Us fat guys need a deal on food.

riverbound
01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
You should buy a pizza place instead, I already have a stereo hook up. Us fat guys need a deal on food.
LOL...There would go all my profits.

ROZ
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
News oes travel fast, doesn't it :D
Good luck... :)

riverbound
01-09-2006, 01:30 PM
News oes travel fast, doesn't it :D
Good luck... :)
Guess it does :)
Thanks.
You are getting out and Im getting back in :(

roln 20s
01-09-2006, 01:45 PM
First off--aside from the stereo, the only power package I want is a 496HO (for now). I WILL continue to promote Boat Bling. Its not a money issue, I could get the Teague 800 if I wanted, but its just not what is best for me right now.
The stereo:
1) I have no problem spending good money on good components
2) I'm not a huge stereo person and don't feel I need a huge stereo, so basically don't want to drop $5k on something I won't get $5k of use out of
3) I really do want to get the components and have DCB install them--I DO NOT want an aftermarket stereo shop taking my boat apart
4) I do want 6 speakers, 2 Amps, and 2 12s--just cheking all my options
Its seems everyone is on board with the two amps, 6 speakers and the 2 12s. Me too...just need to get back with Dave and work out the details.
Thanks for all your input :)
Roln 20s

ROZ
01-09-2006, 01:46 PM
DAve's phase 1 is 5k?

riverbound
01-09-2006, 01:55 PM
--I DO NOT want an aftermarket stereo shop taking my boat apart
Why would that be?? Its a boat not a nuclear reactor ;) Boats arent that hard to work on.
<------has worked on a DCB or two......didnt find anyhting that made them any harder to work on than any other boat.

Cole Trickle
01-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Why would that be?? Its a boat not a nuclear reactor ;) Boats arent that hard to work on.
<------has worked on a DCB or two......didnt find anyhting that made them any harder to work on than any other boat.
I can't think of any reaons except..... :crossx:
Spilled beer in the boat
Spilled Pizza in the boat
Every vehicle you have worked on or driven in has had some sort of sexual act performed. :yuk:
I would without a doubt let a qualified shop install a high end stereo in my boat vs. most manufactures.(There are exceptions like Matts E-Ticket and Tobys DCB)

riverbound
01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I can't think of any reaons except..... :crossx:
Spilled beer in the boat
Spilled Pizza in the boat
Every vehicle you have worked on or driven in has had some sort of sexual act performed. :yuk:
I would without a doubt let a qualified shop install a high end stereo in my boat vs. most manufactures.(There are exceptions like Matts E-Ticket and Tobys DCB)
Dont worry the plastic we put down will stop MOST of the stains. the others I will just say were there already ;)
And its nothing worse than has already happened in your boat :D
MOST mfgrs. are using "aftermarket" stereo shops anyways. And the few that have an "in house" guy. hired an "aftermarket" guy to do the work, he is just based out of the shop. But in reality the stereo is still baing "added" to the boat. wires ran seperate etc....

boxscore
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
First off--aside from the stereo, the only power package I want is a 496HO (for now). I WILL continue to promote Boat Bling. Its not a money issue, I could get the Teague 800 if I wanted, but its just not what is best for me right now.
The stereo:
1) I have no problem spending good money on good components
2) I'm not a huge stereo person and don't feel I need a huge stereo, so basically don't want to drop $5k on something I won't get $5k of use out of
3) I really do want to get the components and have DCB install them--I DO NOT want an aftermarket stereo shop taking my boat apart
4) I do want 6 speakers, 2 Amps, and 2 12s--just cheking all my options
Its seems everyone is on board with the two amps, 6 speakers and the 2 12s. Me too...just need to get back with Dave and work out the details.
Thanks for all your input :)
Roln 20s
I like how you think Pardzee. If I had all that common sense when I was your age, then I'd have a lot more money in the bank today.
Nonetheless, you will be airing out that hull in the near future. :crossx:

roln 20s
01-09-2006, 03:54 PM
DAve's phase 1 is 5k?
The Phase I upgrade is 2K and includes a CD player, 4 6.5" speakers, one 12 and one amp.
Riverbound-- do you have a shop? I'd like to have everything done before I take delivery, but I have called different shops to consider installs. In the end, I'm not seeing too much difference between DCB's price and these shops.
What can you do and how much? I'm open to having you or any other knowledgable ***boat member hook me up...I'll provide the beer too :)
Roln 20s

riverbound
01-09-2006, 03:56 PM
The Phase I upgrade is 2K and includes a CD player, 4 6.5" speakers, one 12 and one amp.
Riverbound-- do you have a shop? I'd like to have everything done before I take delivery, but I have called different shops to consider installs. In the end, I'm not seeing too much difference between DCB's price and these shops.
What can you do and how much? I'm open to having you or any other knowledgable ***boat member hook me up...I'll provide the beer too :)
Roln 20s
If things go right I will be in a shop beofre your boat is ready to be rigged. I will keep in touch with you. as things go on.

TOBTEK
01-10-2006, 02:29 PM
if your not going to do a DCB PHASE whatever, and you dont want to spend DUMB $$$$ on a system. have Roz get you two Fo-Cal poly-kevelar two way ststems, two 11" polyglass subs, two decent amps, and call it a day......will sound great and wont be very expensive........who loves ya more than me? :)
heres one now........ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Focal-Poly-Kevlar-165KP-NEW-6-1-2-Speaker-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38646QQitemZ8028 747733QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

roln 20s
01-10-2006, 05:51 PM
if your not going to do a DCB PHASE whatever, and you dont want to spend DUMB $$$$ on a system. have Roz get you two Fo-Cal poly-kevelar two way ststems, two 11" polyglass subs, two decent amps, and call it a day......will sound great and wont be very expensive........who loves ya more than me? :)
heres one now........ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Focal-Poly-Kevlar-165KP-NEW-6-1-2-Speaker-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38646QQitemZ8028 747733QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Talked to Roz last night and today-- I said I wanted a stereo like Toby and he said "why--its sucks, don't copy Toby on anything." Just kidding-we are in 'negotiations' for a bad ass system. I should have something finalized within the next few days on this system. I sent you the specifics to your email- what do you think?
Roln 20s

roln 20s
01-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Stereo is done...thanks for all of your input:
Alpine CDA 9853 CD/WMA/XM/IPOD Ready receiver
Alpine IPOD adapter
XM adapter
(1) JL Audio e6450 Amp (6*75 watts)
(1) JL Audio Slash 500/1 Sub Amp (1*500 watts)
(3 pair) Focal Polyglass 165 cv with crossovers (2 pair in cockpit, 1 pair in bow)
(2) JL Audio 12w3v2D4
one additional Odyssey Dry Cell Battery
The install will be done by DCB when the boat is being built.
Special thanks to ROZ-- thanks for the advice and hook up.
Once they start the install, I'll get some pics going.
Roln 20s

roln 20s
01-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Upgrade to the 9855. The 4v versus 2v preamp voltage is well worth the money.
Ok, what does that mean? What does it do for me?
Thanks for helping in advance.
Roln 20s

roln 20s
01-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Preout voltage is king. More clean signal to the amp, less gain on the amp to achieve the same volume. Amps running cleaner and cooler. I have a 9855 running four amps and I'm considering adding an Audio Control Matrix 6 channel line driver to bump my voltage up even more.
Alrighty--good explaination to a non stereo guy. I'll check it out--hey ROZ-- did you get this :) :D
Thanks again,
Roln 20s

ROZ
01-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Audio Control Matrix 6 channel line driver to bump my voltage up even more.
That's a nice piece...

ROZ
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Alrighty--good explaination to a non stereo guy. I'll check it out--hey ROZ-- did you get this :) :D
Thanks again,
Roln 20s
I got it.. :D
The gains on the amp increase everything in the rca cable..signal and noise picked up along the way. One thing to remember is that the decks of yesterday were a little dirtier(some exclusions), so the 4v was a huge drive for a more powerful signal over any noise picked up since you didn't have to turn the gain up so high...
I think the 2volt will be fine for your application, but if you want 4v we can do that... Not too much more...
If you want 4v by Alpine, you'd better get the CDA9855 now. The 06 4v cd headunit is a LOT more... 650.00 retail... The dvd headunit with 4volt is ever more!
Other than F1status... only 2 4volt headunits will be available 06...
My guess is that 07 ALpine will probably only have 4 headunit available... not that I heard anything....

roln 20s
01-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys. Hey ROZ, give me a call sometime tomorrow. Thanks agaim.
Patrick

BoatFloating
01-12-2006, 10:19 PM
That whole 2v and 4v is vodoo.... I've never noticed any difference in my stereos with 2v or 4v....

riverbound
01-13-2006, 06:45 AM
That whole 2v and 4v is vodoo.... I've never noticed any difference in my stereos with 2v or 4v....
there actually is a HUGE difference........but what do I know. :rolleyes:
I would recomend going with the higher pre-out.

riverbound
01-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Buy better stereos. ;)
what do you know???....there is no difference between good stereos and cheap stereos :D

riverbound
01-13-2006, 07:11 AM
I've got two 7909s in a closet that says there is. ;)
Wow....2 of them?? I miss my old Eclipse 5303R. The new stuff just doesnt sound the same and the Alpine F1 stuff is just out of control on pricing.

BoatFloating
01-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Next time you guys see my boat tell me if I need a better stereo.....I'll bet you if you walked by you couldn't tell if it was 2v or 4v. Trust me ask anyone on these boards that have heard my stereo 2v and 4v doesn't matter in a boat period.... VODOO!!!!!

Cole Trickle
01-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Next time you guys see my boat tell me if I need a better stereo.....I'll bet you if you walked by you couldn't tell if it was 2v or 4v. Trust me ask anyone on these boards that have heard my stereo 2v and 4v doesn't matter in a boat period.... VODOO!!!!!
I will agree with you if you can bump me up to Sr. Baller sttus before you laminate my card!!!;) :crossx:

riverbound
01-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Not Voodoo....but to each is own. A higher voltage radio affects many aspects of the system, and just because you can make a lower voltage radio sound good. doesnt mean you wouldnt benefit from a higher voltage output ;)
But what do I know ;)

Flashover
01-13-2006, 09:24 AM
I've got two 7909s in a closet that says there is. ;)
I loved my 7909, But i got ripped off out of my truck, great stereo. Another really good sounding deck i had was A top of the line Nakamichi, That one sounded great. :crossx: :crossx:

OutCole'd
01-13-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a built in stereo preout voltage sensing unit in my body. ;)
Is it called the SWB built in stereo preout voltage sensing unit? :D

phebus
01-13-2006, 03:42 PM
No, it's called an erection, and he's always playing with it to make sure it's adjusted just right. :rollside:

Cole Trickle
01-13-2006, 03:53 PM
No, it's called an erection, and he's always playing with it to make sure it's adjusted just right. :rollside:
your not talking about his little 14 gauge wire are you? :crossx:

hoolign
01-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Is it called the SWB built in stereo preout voltage sensing unit? :D
No ..We planned on having them on the market for February. but..the rectumfier got conatminated from the septic orofice...apparently, there was to much distortion from it and caused a malfunction in the Head unit. It was always reading high! never accurate ..just high! The techs have come to the conclusion that the wiring in the head unit was completely fubar! Now..the problem is it continuously peaks for no reason. The current can't properly be dicifered by the SWB voltage sensing unit...due to the fact that the out put levels make no sense! and everyone knows you cant sence somthing that makes no sense! back to the drawing board!
Anyone who has purchased the SWB built in stereo preout voltage sensing unit. may apply for an apology form us..but you'll likely never get one!
:p

ROZ
01-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Can you explain that in layman's terms :220v:

OGShocker
01-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Anyone who has purchased the SWB built in stereo preout voltage sensing unit. may apply for an apology form us..but you'll likely never get one!
:p
I think, hang on,,,, yep! I just shat myself! ROTMFFLMAO!!!

OGShocker
01-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Can you explain that in layman's terms :220v:
:idea:
I think the head of SWB Products is more suited for layman terms...IMHO

roln 20s
01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Buy better stereos. ;)
Fine...I will :) Just wanted to let you know after your thread...and talking to ROZ- I went with the 9855. I told ROZ to bill you for the difference it cost me :) :D :) I mean...it is your fault :rollside:
Oh yeah, rumor has it numerous of you like this stereo system I am building and have called ROZ about it. I'm sorry, but I have patented this system, no one else can get it :D :wink:
Thanks for all the advice- the stereo is done. Can't wait to get the boat built and hear this system.
Roln 20s