PDA

View Full Version : TRUCk, needs frontend alignment in HAVASU

Kilrtoy
12-16-2005, 06:24 PM
2005 duramax 4X4 diesel
Where should I get one at...

Havasu Hangin'
12-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Why the hell do you need an alignment already?

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Beleive it or not the IFS front ends need to be aligned quite a bite more than the live axel solid fronts. Now I have the pos early Ford IFS and it really sucks. I have to have it aligned every 5K. I can drop 2 - 6 mpg just from alignment issues.

Kilrtoy
12-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Its the second one...
No-one knows

SummitKarl
12-16-2005, 07:04 PM
KLR....DR.Joes AKA The Alignment Doctor, he is in the phone book and right by you
The best there is......

Havasu Hangin'
12-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Mine has never been out of alignment...even with the lift and 35's...

Beer-30
12-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Be advised. I am ASE certified in suspension and brakes. Something is going out / or something is loose. I last actually aligned the dually about 4 years ago. I have touched it up from time to time, but it hasn't officially required any adjustment. I check it yearly, but I have my own alignment rack. If you actually need an alignment, something has been bent, moved, or worn out.
Someone hit a curb and not tell you?

Kilrtoy
12-16-2005, 07:10 PM
KLR....DR.Joes AKA The Alignment Doctor, he is in the phone book and right by you
The best there is......
So should I go to the CHEVY dealer, I only have 18K in one year and I dont recall hitting a curb, and OFCOURSE the wife would never do that....
:cool: :cool: :cool:
CANCEL CHRISTMAS

Kilrtoy
12-16-2005, 07:10 PM
The best there is......
Thanks KARL...

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Be advised. I am ASE certified in suspension and brakes. Something is going out / or something is loose. I last actually aligned the dually about 4 years ago. I have touched it up from time to time, but it hasn't officially required any adjustment. I check it yearly, but I have my own alignment rack. If you actually need an alignment, something has been bent, moved, or worn out.
Hell go out to Desert Bar once, that will square it up for you.

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:12 PM
So should I go to the CHEVY dealer, I only have 18K in one year and I dont recall hitting a curb, and OFCOURSE the wife would never do that....
CANCEL CHRISTMAS
My wife is good about hitting curbs, I don't think she misses one with the rear wheels.

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
What do mean by touch up ???
I run 2/32nds toe in for best milage. I also have gone round and round with frontend guys. The rest of the deal is usually fine, Caster/Camber. If the truck goes off-road at all I always recomend having the alignment checked and have any adjustments done every 6 - 10K. But I am also the guy that gets just shy of 100k out of BFG muds and has 478K on my truck.

Kachina26
12-16-2005, 07:24 PM
CANCEL CHRISTMAS
You only get 12k mile warranty on adjustments. I recommend finding a good alignment guy and going to him. Wait, on second thought, what is it doing? It is possible that if you have a pull, you may have a tire that is causing it and merely need to swap tires left to right. Seriously. Try that first if you are trying to correct a pull.

Beer-30
12-16-2005, 07:25 PM
What do mean by touch up ???
Well, parts wear, we all know that. Every now and then it will lose a 1/4 of a degree or so on camber with ball joint and bushing wear. Since I have the rack, I "touch it up" every now and then, but it doesn't really need it. The toe usually is right where I left it - unless I know I have blasted a curb or hit something hard. Even then, unless something bends, it is still ok.

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, parts wear, we all know that. Every now and then it will lose a 1/4 of a degree or so on camber with ball joint and bushing wear. Since I have the rack, I "touch it up" every now and then, but it doesn't really need it. The toe usually is right where I left it - unless I know I have blasted a curb or hit something hard. Even then, unless something bends, it is still ok.
You should know my front end and how bad they suck for keeping alignment.
That is why I always recomend after any off-road driving.

Beer-30
12-16-2005, 07:29 PM
You only get 12k mile warranty on adjustments. I recommend finding a good alignment guy and going to him. Wait, on second thought, what is it doing? It is possible that if you have a pull, you may have a tire that is causing it and merely need to swap tires left to right. Seriously. Try that first if you are trying to correct a pull.
Excellent point. "Radial pull" is very common.
Also, unless the tires have been rotated, the wear you are seeing is probably normal city turning. It tends to round off the edges quite a bit in, say, 7K or so. 4X4 is usually more significant, what with them being 1.25 to 1.5 degrees positive camber (factory specs). I tend to set them at .6 to .75 for less outer edge tire wear. I don't see any need for such high positive camber in normal street use.

Beer-30
12-16-2005, 07:31 PM
You should know my front end and how bad they suck for keeping alignment.
That is why I always recomend after any off-road driving.
Well, yeah. After bumping along a desert course, something is bound to move.
Ford or Chev?

SummitKarl
12-16-2005, 07:31 PM
CANCEL CHRISTMAS
maybe the road to the Desert Bar was a bit to tough on Chevy :D LMAO
Yea with 18K and within a year something is WAY!!!! wrong, ? is, is it road Damage (not covered by the dealer) or a Mechanical Failure (covered under warranty)
either way it's best to let a outside party (Dr. Joe) look at it first, then hit the dealer being well informed ;)

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Excellent point. "Radial pull" is very common.
Also, unless the tires have been rotated, the wear you are seeing is probably normal city turning. It tends to round off the edges quite a bit in, say, 7K or so. 4X4 is usually more significant, what with them being 1.25 to 1.5 degrees positive camber (factory specs). I tend to set them at .6 to .75 for less outer edge tire wear. I don't see any need for such high positive camber in normal street use.
How do you feel about lifted trucks and setting alignment ???

Kilrtoy
12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
It was fine and we had the tires changed around, shortly after it started and is getting worse....THIS MAY BE IT

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
maybe the road to the Desert Bar was a bit to tough on Chevy :D LMAO
Yea with 18K and within a year something is WAY!!!! wrong, ? is, is it road Damage (not covered by the dealer) or a Mechanical Failure (covered under warranty)
either way it's best to let a outside party (Dr. Joe) look at it first, then hit the dealer being well informed ;)
Then if the dealer gives you any crap call Jay, he is good at making people (Dealers) hop.

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:36 PM
It was fine and we had the tires changed around, shortly after it started and is getting worse....THIS MAY BE IT
Some tires are not rated quite right for some trucks, load rating. But it also sounds like it should be checked out first.

Beer-30
12-16-2005, 07:38 PM
How do you feel about lifted trucks and setting alignment ???
Haven't done one lately. Been years. I personally don't care for lifted. I believe the kits available these days are great and I am sure they can pretty much all align to factory specs / otherwise they wouldn't be as popular as they are.
I have had several friends with driveline issues from lifting. Balance, wear, etc. Plus, they all keep wearing out their door hinges and wonder why. I show them that they are hoisting themselves up into the trick by pulling on the door. I prefer to sit down into the rig, not climb up. I have dropped several pickups in the weeds and have not had any problems or comebacks. Lifted or lowered, as long as nice parts are used and installed properly, things seem to work out.

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:42 PM
It seems it is all about the instalation. So of the kit are very permanant, like on the Toyotas. I hate doing them, because they can never go back to stock. But when I do any I put tack welds in place after first Alignment to help keep things square.

SummitKarl
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Then if the dealer gives you any crap call Jay, he is good at making people (Dealers) hop.
AHHH!!! once again the POWER!!!! of HB :)
And I am placing my money with who ever said Radial Pull

DUCKY
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I used the alignment doctor a few times, but my truck ('02 Ram 1500) would always wear the tires weird. So I tried Big O. Their guy is a stickler for replacing worn parts, and I was skeptical when he told me my tie-rod ends were shot (60,000 miles) but I replaced them myself, and had them align it and it's been great.

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:46 PM
AHHH!!! once again the POWER!!!! of HB :)
And I am placing my money with who ever said Radial Pull
Hell Jay kicked ass here in Bullshit City the other day and didn't even know it, till I called him.

Kachina26
12-16-2005, 08:04 PM
It was fine and we had the tires changed around, shortly after it started and is getting worse....THIS MAY BE ITJust have your local yocal switch the front tires right to left. It'll either go away or pull the other way. I promise. What the heck am I gonna do now that I quit working on cars? maybe I will start to enjoy working on them again :D

Tom Brown
12-16-2005, 08:07 PM
2005 duramax 4X4 diesel
Dump that shit and get a Ford. You can't beat twin I-beams.

Kilrtoy
12-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Just have your local yocal switch the front tires right to left. It'll either go away or pull the other way. I promise. What the heck am I gonna do now that I quit working on cars? maybe I will start to enjoy working on them again :D
besides the pull, it shakes

djunkie
12-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Get rid of those P.O.S. BFG all terrains. Problem solved. I hate those tires. Had nothing but problems with every set I've seen. Put a nice set of all season tires on it and be done with it. You won't be disappointed.

Kachina26
12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Might need a balance too. Not likely an alignment issue.

GHT
12-16-2005, 08:24 PM
2005 duramax 4X4 diesel
In Vegas.... :rolleyes: I know where... you will have to PM. It would be a great opertunity for the girls to go shopping... We could just hang.. See how easy it is????

SummitKarl
12-16-2005, 08:46 PM
side to side rotation + pull + shake = sliped belt
go look at the side walls of the front tires and look for a deformation about 4" wide. it should be very noticeable
just a lesson I learned, never rotate BFG's side to side. I got 8yrs and 76k mi out of my last set of BFG A/T's, I always do front to rear rotation

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 08:49 PM
If you need BGF tires let me know I can help.

GHT
12-16-2005, 08:56 PM
If you need BGF tires let me know I can help.
I used to get a good deal on BFG's too.. My Grandpa gets tires for around (average) $60 a tire (no matter the size). Worked for them for 46 yrs... Nice tire although they all have issues..

Beer-30
12-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Hold on, hold on.
If he is now pointing out a shake.......bent rim anyone?
A hard hit would bend a tie-rod sleeve and dimple a rim. Instant tire wear and vibration.
Any takers?
Kilr, I am not saying you did it. Obviously you would know if you did or not. I would not presume to suggest that the wifeypoo did it, either. (Although mine blasted one of her 2 month old chrome 22s a few months ago) But, if you took it somewhere and had anyone work on it; that usually ends up in a test drive by a 16 year old. Or, loan it to a friend or co-worker lately?

Kilrtoy
12-16-2005, 11:16 PM
No bent rim almost even tire wear on all tires. I will find out and repost on this

Ivan Dan
12-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Get rid of those P.O.S. BFG all terrains. Problem solved. I hate those tires. Had nothing but problems with every set I've seen. Put a nice set of all season tires on it and be done with it. You won't be disappointed.
I beg to differ here.....I'm sure Squirtin Thunder will back me up on this....BFG's are the BEST out there. I've had Goodyears, Mickey Thompson, Pro Comp, Bridgestone and several others and they ALL suck compared to BFG's. I had a set of Goodyears and I blew 3 of the 4 out (sidewall failure) within 10,000 miles on the street. I've only had 3 flats EVER on BFG's and this is counting the 1000's of offroad racing miles I've logged throughout the years.
On a side note, BFG just won their 20th straight overall 4 wheel Baja 1000.

cc322
12-17-2005, 07:24 AM
I beg to differ here.....I'm sure Squirtin Thunder will back me up on this....BFG's are the BEST out there. I've had Goodyears, Mickey Thompson, Pro Comp, Bridgestone and several others and they ALL suck compared to BFG's. I had a set of Goodyears and I blew 3 of the 4 out (sidewall failure) within 10,000 miles on the street. I've only had 3 flats EVER on BFG's and this is counting the 1000's of offroad racing miles I've logged throughout the years.
I will agree with the BFG being one hell of a tire, tried Bridgestone, Goodyear, Toyo, and pro Crap, and have always had the best luck with the BFG.

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 09:25 AM
On the street my dually has had the factory Firestones 3 sets of BFG mudterain tires 1 of Micheline(parent company of BFG) and now I have Goodyears on and I hate them.
BTW- The truck has 478K on it
BFG tires are the only way to go in a military, baja, city assult and racing in the Nevada desert. They are the best tire for any application. Now the tire stores suck and they will sell you the wrong tire for the application, and the wrong wieght rating because they have them on hand. BFG also gives the best support in the industry but most people don't even know it exists even if you are not a racer. This is called Adventure Assurance Program. If you get stuck, we'll send a truck; the first roadside assistance coupled with a manufactures off-road assistance program.

dicudmore
12-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Miguel if you have a shake, that is tires...

Beer-30
12-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Miguel if you have a shake, that is tires...
Now now, a bent or dimpled rim will do it too. Or, threw the weights. Not just tire.

djunkie
12-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Well thats your experience with them. Mine has been different. And I was very anal about keeping the tire pressures and rotations on scheldue. I was just not very impressed with the all terrains. After they were about half way worn they started making A LOT of noise and I was having to rebalance them every 5k miles. Then my next set I stepped up to mud terrains. Within 3k miles I had one blow on the way back from the river. It ended up being a defect in the tire where one of the knobs actually blew off the tire. Kinda scary since I was towing the boat. I'm sure you may have had good luck as well as others and BFG is a great co. but I have had some bad luck.
Now knowing Kilr has changed the rims and tire size and has messed with the ride height via cranking on the torsion bars his alignment could be off causing his tires to be wearing funny.

djunkie
12-17-2005, 12:27 PM
On the street my dually has had the factory Firestones 3 sets of BFG mudterain tires 1 of Micheline(parent company of BFG) and now I have Goodyears on and I hate them.
BTW- The truck has 478K on it
BFG tires are the only way to go in a military, baja, city assult and racing in the Nevada desert. They are the best tire for any application. Now the tire stores suck and they will sell you the wrong tire for the application, and the wrong wieght rating because they have them on hand. BFG also gives the best support in the industry but most people don't even know it exists even if you are not a racer. This is called Adventure Assurance Program. If you get stuck, we'll send a truck; the first roadside assistance coupled with a manufactures off-road assistance program.
I agree with you. In the field, offroad, mud, snow their great. On the highway they SUCK!!!

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-17-2005, 03:41 PM
its a chevy

Beer-30
12-17-2005, 03:43 PM
its a chevy
Yeah, but the alignment was knocked out when he it a part that fell off of a Ford.

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 04:09 PM
I agree with you. In the field, offroad, mud, snow their great. On the highway they SUCK!!!
The last three sets of BFG muds I had on my truck I got damn near 100K, and they are still good enough to use as spares.

Woodster
12-17-2005, 04:36 PM
I drive ALOT of highway miles and run 35" BFG A/t .. I swear I got almost 75k miles out of my last set and they still had some tread left on them. I just bought another set for my other truck also..

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 04:38 PM
The last three sets of BFG muds I had on my truck I got damn near 100K, and they are still good enough to use as spares.
I helps to have six to rotate around the truck.

djunkie
12-17-2005, 05:27 PM
I drive ALOT of highway miles and run 35" BFG A/t .. I swear I got almost 75k miles out of my last set and they still had some tread left on them. I just bought another set for my other truck also..
No offense guys but I find this a little hard to believe. I have gone thru 3 set of BFG tires. 2 sets of mud terrains and 1 set of all terrains. To me they were ok tires or else I wouldn't have kept buying them. But, like I said after they got around 20k miles on them I started to get a lot of road noise out of them. I did rotate them every other oil change which is about 5k miles for me. Every 10k miles I had to have them rebalanced cause they would cause my front end to shake. And I was even having the alignment checked and it was never out of adjustment until I bought new ones. So I was just saying that he could have a problem with his tires cause I have with the same ones. It is possible.

Beer-30
12-17-2005, 05:50 PM
No offense guys but I find this a little hard to believe. I have gone thru 3 set of BFG tires. 2 sets of mud terrains and 1 set of all terrains. To me they were ok tires or else I wouldn't have kept buying them. But, like I said after they got around 20k miles on them I started to get a lot of road noise out of them. I did rotate them every other oil change which is about 5k miles for me. Every 10k miles I had to have them rebalanced cause they would cause my front end to shake. And I was even having the alignment checked and it was never out of adjustment until I bought new ones. So I was just saying that he could have a problem with his tires cause I have with the same ones. It is possible.
Which terrains? Mud?

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Air presure and proper alignment and constant rotation.

Kilrtoy
12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I have
BFG all terran
285-65-18
load D

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 07:01 PM
2005 duramax 4X4 diesel
Where should I get one at...I have
BFG all terran
285-65-18
load D
I personally don't like the All Terain tires. I know that it can't hurt to have it checked.
Again I like to set toe in at 2/32nds, it seems that the desimal convertion looses something in the translation. There is a guy in Oaklahoma that does excelant alignment work. I used to plan my trips west around his schedule. Believe it or not his alignments were good for an extra 1-2mpg.

djunkie
12-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Which terrains? Mud?
They all wore funny to me. I just accepted it cause they were an offroad tire and I thought that was just how they were. All I'm trying to say in this thread is that Kilr has the All Terrains and their may be a chance that those tires may be causing his problems. I had problems with the shaking and loud road noise with mine so he might be also.

djunkie
12-17-2005, 07:38 PM
I personally don't like the All Terain tires. I know that it can't hurt to have it checked.
Again I like to set toe in at 2/32nds, it seems that the desimal convertion looses something in the translation. There is a guy in Oaklahoma that does excelant alignment work. I used to plan my trips west around his schedule. Believe it or not his alignments were good for an extra 1-2mpg.
Their you go Kilr. Drive to Oklahoma and get the alignment done there..... LOL!!!! J/K ST. :rollside: :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 07:53 PM
They all wore funny to me. I just accepted it cause they were an offroad tire and I thought that was just how they were. All I'm trying to say in this thread is that Kilr has the All Terrains and their may be a chance that those tires may be causing his problems. I had problems with the shaking and loud road noise with mine so he might be also.
I am sorry, I thaught you were saying that the BFG tires gave you problems. j/k :argue:
If this is the case I would call your local rep and explain that there is a possible problem with the tire and you would like some new ones. Believe me on this BFG stands 110% behind there product and will take care of you.

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Their you go Kilr. Drive to Oklahoma and get the alignment done there..... LOL!!!! J/K ST. :rollside: :rollside:
You have to remember that I was in NC and coming out here once a month racing off-road.

djunkie
12-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I am sorry, I thaught you were saying that the BFG tires gave you problems. j/k :argue:
If this is the case I would call your local rep and explain that there is a possible problem with the tire and you would like some new ones. Believe me on this BFG stands 110% behind there product and will take care of you.
They did replace the one the defective one that blew out with only 600 miles on it. I don't dislike all their tires. I just think that kilr should also have them checked out along with the alignment.

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 08:36 PM
They did replace the one the defective one that blew out with only 600 miles on it. I don't dislike all their tires. I just think that kilr should also have them checked out along with the alignment.
OK so fine I win !!! :yuk:

SummitKarl
12-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Kilr
give me a ring in the AM and I will stop and take a peek at it
Good Reason to take the Hot Rod out for a spin :)

Cs19
12-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Ive had endless sets of mudders and all terrains. I was never happy with either..
I know its not havasu, but for those in OC, I HIGHLY reccomend glenns alignment in HB, you will not be dissapointed.However, they have become so busy that you sometimes need to make an appointment.There is nothing worse than leaving an alignment shop only to find out they fawked up.
:mad:

djunkie
12-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Whatever floats your boat. I still think they're shitty tires for highway use. :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Whatever floats your boat. I still think they're shitty tires for highway use. :rollside:
Damn just when I thought I won; BF Goodrich tires are the best tires bar none on and off road. :argue:

Jordy
12-17-2005, 11:09 PM
As long as the race doesn't go for more than 8 laps. :notam:
Jim, seriously, I mean, do you ever get tired of seeing yourself post? I saw a poll posted a while back and you had 3 of the votes: Quotin' Thunder, Code Flatline, I mean Blue Racing, and Lil' Thunder... Do you ever give get tired of prostituting yourself all over ***boat. I mean, you're right up there with an attorney as a hooker will stop f'kn you when you're dead. Have you no pride??? :notam:

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 11:19 PM
As long as the race doesn't go for more than 8 laps. :notam:
Jim, seriously, I mean, do you ever get tired of seeing yourself post? I saw a poll posted a while back and you had 3 of the votes: Quotin' Thunder, Code Flatline, I mean Blue Racing, and Lil' Thunder... Do you ever give get tired of prostituting yourself all over ***boat. I mean, you're right up there with an attorney as a hooker will stop f'kn you when you're dead. Have you no pride??? :notam:
This coming from a guy or gal that has twice as many posts as I do and has only been on the board 18months longer. Glass house Jordy ????
Jordy
Me

djunkie
12-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Damn just when I thought I won; BF Goodrich tires are the best tires bar none on and off road. :argue:
Next thing your gonna try to tell me is that Fords are better then Chevy's too I bet.

Jordy
12-17-2005, 11:28 PM
This coming from a guy or gal that has twice as many posts as I do and has only been on the board 18months longer. Glass house Jordy ????
Jordy
Me
The difference would be that I've never w hored myself out on the boards Jim, and if you'll notice, I don't quote my own posts, nor do I beg for money on the boards. ***boat.com isn't a source of income for me. I really don't post that much anymore either. No glass house here Quotin' Thunder. :notam:
Take a look at average posts per day. You're within 2 of me and gaining all the time, and that doesn't care when you joined. ;)
Hell, it's late, I almost forgot, I've never registered my daughter on the boards to beg for money for me either. It's called pride Jim. Wanna buy some?? :notam:

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Next thing your gonna try to tell me is that Fords are better then Chevy's too I bet.
Well as I told Jay the other day, they are both better than those Rams. :argue:

Kilrtoy
01-23-2006, 05:39 PM
took it in and the guy at the cheby dealer said, it most likely needed to be balanced. He said go up the street to tire mart, they can do a better job and cheaper. So off the wife goes, they hooked it up on a balance dealio and then they noticed that one of the key spacers was in the wrong postion and the front end was uneven. This was causing the shaking. So they fixed that balanced the tires and WOW, its like a new truck.....
Thanks guys.....

Squirtin Thunder
01-23-2006, 05:43 PM
took it in and the guy at the cheby dealer said, it most likely needed to be balanced. He said go up the street to tire mart, they can do a better job and cheaper. So off the wife goes, they hooked it up on a balance dealio and then they noticed that one of the key spacers was in the wrong postion and the front end was uneven. This was causing the shaking. So they fixed that balanced the tires and WOW, its like a new truck.....
Thanks guys.....
I told you the BFGs were not the problem !!!! :yuk:

phebus
01-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys.....
Was the truck delivered like that, or have you had it lifted?

Kilrtoy
01-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Was the truck delivered like that, or have you had it lifted?
No it is stock height...
Either it came that way or the guys at the tire shop did it when I had my rims and tires put on.....

dicudmore
01-24-2006, 10:52 AM
No it is stock height...
Either it came that way or the guys at the tire shop did it when I had my rims and tires put on.....
tire shop did it...they don't have spacers with stock wheels :wink: