PDA

View Full Version : Plane down in river

Wolskis_Bar
07-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Cruising south from the sandbar this evening at 1915 and came across the remains of a twin engine plane in the river. Emergency onsite, vessel assist, helicopter, and local salvage crew. Cal side about 1 mile north of the no ski bouys. Stb engine showed signs of fire, Sitting in several feet of water about 10 feet from shore.
LH FD also at the south ramp of windsor, not sure if related.

Kilrtoy
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Sandbar junkies saw the crash and have pics, he will post themwhen he gets a chance...
said all made it out OK...

luvnhavsu
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Ya I saw that plane to was just coming back from being up river for a few with the family. When on the way back we saw a few boats stoped and so we stoped also no fire crew yet just a couple police boats and a man on the boat with one of the police we asked if anyone was hurt some one said they believed the guy talking to police was the man of the plane. From what the plane looked like you wouldnt think any one would live it was pretty much gone. You must have went threw there no more then 20 mins after we did I just hope that was the owner of the plane with the police sad to think if it wasnt it was pretty crazy seeing a place in the water like that.

Wolskis_Bar
07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
My first thought was a burned out boat. Didn't recoginize it until right on it. Helicopter was sitting with enigne off, and others standing around. Good news to hear all got out. It was a mess.

Throttle
07-10-2006, 08:10 PM
glad all sound like they were ok... we had just gone through there a few hours earlier...

luvnhavsu
07-10-2006, 08:39 PM
We didnt get no pictures nor did we see it happen. I am really glad to hear that the guy driving the plane was ok because the looks of the plane you would really think the guy would have really gotten hurt. But he was in the police boat sitting there talking to Police its really amazing his angle was really looking out for him.

DaveA
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Single engine plane crashes in Colorado River just north of Lake Havasu
From Staff Reports
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:32 PM MDT
No fatalities are being reported in the crash of a single-engine airplane just north of Lake Havasu in Jopp's Harbor Cove.
The crash happened just before 5:30 p.m.
Radio transmissions from emergency personnel report there was a fire in the cockpit and that the pilot ditched the plane in the river. The pilot and a passenger then reportedly escaped just prior to the plane bursting into flame.
The Lake Havasu City Fire Department responded to the fire with their fireboat. The Mohave County Sheriff's Office also responded to the scene.
Radio traffic also stated several passing boaters were attempting to put out the flames with their jet streams prior to the fire department's arrival.
Jetboaters or lake lice were trying to help out! Ditch pumps are good fer sumthing....:D :D :D
I've always said that the only way I'd jump out of a perfectly good airplane is when something big falls off, or it's on fire. Once either one of those events occur, it's no longer a perfectly good airplane. Geronimo!
Hey Huffpower,
So...what do you do for the FAA? FSDO? Just curious about hot boaters involved in aviating.
DaveA

Kilrtoy
07-10-2006, 10:25 PM
no pics or witness to the crash, arrived after plane was down, per SBJ

Hardly Satisfied
07-11-2006, 01:35 AM
We didnt get no pictures nor did we see it happen. I am really glad to hear that the guy driving the plane was ok because the looks of the plane you would really think the guy would have really gotten hurt. But he was in the police boat sitting there talking to Police its really amazing his angle was really looking out for him.
glad no one was hurt

RitcheyRch
07-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Could have been ugly.

2Driver
07-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Jopp's Harbor Cove..... 18 people boat crash now this.

RiverToysJas
07-12-2006, 05:47 PM
I was there! The plane had been down for about 5-10 minutes when we got there. The pilot and passenger where on a deck boat watching it burn. My camera batteries were dead!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: It was an awesome/strange sight though. The engine and propeller were clearly vissible through the fire. The entire plane was on fire though.
It appeared to be an anphibious experimental type plane to me. The PWC guy started doing aggressive turns and spraying it down. That pretty much put the fire out, and also pushed the wreckage into shallower water. A jet boat tried, but couldn't do anything. Where's Hustler when you need him??? :rolleyes: LOL. The engine finally fell off, and the fire started again. Fuel was still burning on the surface when we left. I saw SBJ at the sandbar still when we passed, so he must not have seen much, as it was pretty much done when we rolled out.
BTW, no authorities of any kind showed up while we were there.
RTJas :D

SHIP FACED again
07-26-2006, 11:54 PM
I have a 28ft Domn8er deck, "Ship Faced". I was the southbound boater who waited for Bob and David Hemme to touch down. I was on the river with my son's, Will and Gavin and friend Laura and her son Jake. Not many boats on the river that day. As soon as the plane went down, David jumped out through the smoke and returned to the wing as his dad was still inside the burning plane. I pulled up next to the plane so David could jump onto our boat. Bob was still inside. I attempted to get a fire extinguisher, but the flames were to intense and spread very fast. Bob jumped just as the area where he was sitting fully ignited. I know pics were taken by other boaters that arrived in the area. Hope you can post. Bob and David recently sent me a beautiful arrangement of flowers with a card that simply read, "Just PLANE Thanks" I'm grateful that both of them got out without harm. I hope to see you again.....

Old Man Havasu
07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Very COOL MOVE Ship Faced!

lilrick
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I have a 28ft Domn8er deck, "Ship Faced". I was the southbound boater who waited for Bob and David Hemme to touch down. I was on the river with my son's, Will and Gavin and friend Laura and her son Jake. Not many boats on the river that day. As soon as the plane went down, David jumped out through the smoke and returned to the wing as his dad was still inside the burning plane. I pulled up next to the plane so David could jump onto our boat. Bob was still inside. I attempted to get a fire extinguisher, but the flames were to intense and spread very fast. Bob jumped just as the area where he was sitting fully ignited. I know pics were taken by other boaters that arrived in the area. Hope you can post. Bob and David recently sent me a beautiful arrangement of flowers with a card that simply read, "Just PLANE Thanks" I'm grateful that both of them got out without harm. I hope to see you again.....
very cool

Havasteve
07-27-2006, 02:29 PM
The pictures are in Image Center, I think you could do a search in there for havasteve and see them!

FryJet
07-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Here is the only one I could find. Glad everone was ok.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2632Dscf0453.jpg
F.J.