PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fire Season

Her454
07-11-2006, 06:54 AM
We have already had 3 fires within 10 miles of my house and its only July. Yesterday there was a bad one out by Lake Comanche and they had the planes all over the place dropping the retardant. It always amazes me how those pilots fly in those conditions and what the firefighters go through. Nor Cal is in for a rough season with all the rains we had we have a ton of wild vegetation out there now.
I know alot of us live in fire country and there are several firefighters on here. I just want to thank them again for all that they do and pray for a mild fire season for everyone this year.

DILLIGAF
07-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Good luck T. Just part of living in CA...floods, fires and earthquakes. I would rather deal with that than hurricanes and tornados.

LAFD
07-11-2006, 11:09 AM
just keep the brush cut back from your property and listen if your told to evacuate.

RitcheyRch
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Definitely take earthquakes and fires over hurricanes and tornadoes. This is going to be a bad fire season. Have already had a few in So. Cal but did hear those might have been arson. Either way. God bless the firefighters this time of year. They earn every bit of their money.
Good luck T. Just part of living in CA...floods, fires and earthquakes. I would rather deal with that than hurricanes and tornados.

MOBrien
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
How big of a fire was that near Camanche? I was wondering where that was....from Sac we could see that there was a lot of smoke in the air floating around the Southeast foothills. Heading to Hogan for 4 days at the end of this week. Was the fire anywhere near there?

Her454
07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
How big of a fire was that near Camanche? I was wondering where that was....from Sac we could see that there was a lot of smoke in the air floating around the Southeast foothills. Heading to Hogan for 4 days at the end of this week. Was the fire anywhere near there?
Fire was out on China Gulch road - N of Comanche toward the Ione side on top of a hill. I could see it all the way from the end of Sunrise last night on the way home also. Not sure how big it was yet, haven't heard. There IS another burning right now out toward Hogan but not sure exactly where that one is yet either. I'll be out there this weekend as well, stop by and say hello if ya see the boat. Smoke is thick in the air today :yuk:
just keep the brush cut back from your property and listen if your told to evacuate.
Brush is cut back considerably and I have NO problem evac'ng if I get the word. I was a bit stubborn a few years ago after being told and when the propane tanks started exploding on the hills behind me I changed my mind. There was a thread that year also what to take if you have to go in a hurry - it was good advice and lots of things I would have never thought of - I grabbed pics, dogs and the boat. Might be a good idea to make a list for yourself if you live in fire country. I'll see if I can find that thread....

SUI-CY-COLE
07-11-2006, 12:54 PM
my dad lives at hogan...ill call him and find out....but until then keep the pump ready to go by the ppol!

Dave C
07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
wouldn't that be ironic if you built an Ark and then it burns down during the fire season.... :rollside: :rollside:

SUI-CY-COLE
07-11-2006, 01:41 PM
or building a race car in the desert and it floods...oh wait,hasnt that happened? :rolleyes:

Her454
07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
wouldn't that be ironic if you built an Ark and then it burns down during the fire season.... :rollside: :rollside:
LOL, I never finished it remember?
Sui- I'm only a mile from the lake but I don't smell anymore smoke and a guy in town says it was on the backside of the lake again.

JetBoatRich
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Unfortuantly we will start to see "FIRE WATCH 2006" all over the news this year

Rexone
07-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Hopefully I'm good for a couple years still. This pic was Oct 27, 03 after the Grand Prix fire visited on the night of Oct 25th. 137 homes lost that week, almost 60k acres burned. Concurrently the Old fire burned 993 homes and just under 100K acres while fires in San Diego County burned another 2000 homes. I got lucky.
View looking towards the back of my house, I had foam, 2 pumpers in the driveway, the whole shiteree with about a 40 mph santa ana. Thanks again Santa Barbara FD crews. :) About 20 engine crews on my street saved every house. Lost one about 3 blocks up that had poor clearence and a wood roof. Most the rest were lost in San Antonio Heights and Rancho and Claremont. Clearance and good warning and prep and adequate equipment on scene were the key. Everyone's not always so lucky on the good warning and Claremont had almost none. Clear that shit out though, it can mean the difference of burnin or not.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732Firearea14.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732Firearea17.jpg
I'm keepin this area here knocked down with weed killer now somewhat so we don't have the heavy shit again in a few years. The flames were higher than the 60 foot power poles, and burned most them off too. Was not a good night.

Her454
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Thats pretty scary Mike! After our fire, the streets and homes in our small community were covered with "THANK YOU FIREFIGHTERS" and when the trucks drove through town people were clapping and waving at them, pretty cool sight actually.

Ziggy
07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
My Service Manager just had to bail out of work to go get his wife and get stuff from his home, they are being evacuated...Fire less than 1/4 mile from his house......
Anza, Ca.
gonna be a bad yr.

Her454
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
My Service Manager just had to bail out of work to go get his wife and get stuff from his home, they are being evacuated...Fire less than 1/4 mile from his house......
Anza, Ca.
gonna be a bad yr.
THAT SUCKS! I hope they make out ok.................

al cole'holic
07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Hopefully I'm good for a couple years still. This pic was Oct 27, 03 after the Grand Prix fire visited on the night of Oct 25th. 137 homes lost that week, almost 60k acres burned. Concurrently the Old fire burned 993 homes and just under 100K acres while fires in San Diego County burned another 2000 homes. I got lucky.
View looking towards the back of my house, I had foam, 2 pumpers in the driveway, the whole shiteree with about a 40 mph santa ana. Thanks again Santa Barbara FD crews. :) About 20 engine crews on my street saved every house. Lost one about 3 blocks up that had poor clearence and a wood roof. Most the rest were lost in San Antonio Heights and Rancho and Claremont. Clearance and good warning and prep and adequate equipment on scene were the key. Everyone's not always so lucky on the good warning and Claremont had almost none. Clear that shit out though, it can mean the difference of burnin or not.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732Firearea14.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732Firearea17.jpg
I'm keepin this area here knocked down with weed killer now somewhat so we don't have the heavy shit again in a few years. The flames were higher than the 60 foot power poles, and burned most them off too. Was not a good night.
..pics from my yard Oct '03, close call!
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/fire1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/fire2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/fire3.jpg

Rexone
07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Thats pretty scary Mike! After our fire, the streets and homes in our small community were covered with "THANK YOU FIREFIGHTERS" and when the trucks drove through town people were clapping and waving at them, pretty cool sight actually.
Same here, we had the crews sleeping on all the front lawns in the AM. Of course that didn't last long as more fires were demanding their attention.
This looks like a tough season coming. Can see the smoke from Yucca Valley fire from my house out over Big Bear range.

Her454
07-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Exactly, I feel bad for them this year. There are two or three burning in Nor Cal that I know of. Kinda hazy in Sac today but not bad.

little rowe boat
07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Things are getting ugly out there. We have units leaving town, forming strike teams, our OES just left and I am hoping not to get manditoried tomorrow because I am supposed to leave for Havasu.

4day!!
07-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Things are getting ugly out there. We have units leaving town, forming strike teams, our OES just left and I am hoping not to get manditoried tomorrow because I am supposed to leave for Havasu.
That's a stressful feeling, especially when you have others counting on you. Good luck...

JetBoatRich
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
good one burning behind my Yucaipa office right now :mad:

AngryJosh
07-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm guessin I'll get recalled for a strike team soon....

H20skier
07-13-2006, 03:38 AM
We're also seeing the smoke from the Yucca Valley fire here in Mohave Valley. Hopefully they're getting a handle on that one.

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 04:07 AM
Doesnt sound like they have the Yucca one under control. God bless the fire fighters.

Her454
07-13-2006, 05:08 AM
SO SO sad the homes that are being lost. I sat down last night and made another evacuation list that Im putting on the fridge, God Forbid I dont ever need it, but after the last time I realized I grabbed crap that really didnt matter out of panic and with a list I'll be more prepared.
Dogs
Pictures
Scrapbooks
papers from safe (tax info, homeowners ins etc)
clothes
boats

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Something we all should do incase of a disaster.
SO SO sad the homes that are being lost. I sat down last night and made another evacuation list that Im putting on the fridge, God Forbid I dont ever need it, but after the last time I realized I grabbed crap that really didnt matter out of panic and with a list I'll be more prepared.
Dogs
Pictures
Scrapbooks
clothes
boats

Rexone
07-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Dogs
Pictures
Scrapbooks
clothes
boats
Don't forget the friggin shoes. :)

Rexone
07-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Not sure what type of animal this was but he didn't make it. Fire rolled through like a freight train. And sounded like one coming down out of the canyon above.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732skeleton.jpg

topless
07-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Don't forget the friggin shoes. :)LMAO!!!!!!!

Her454
07-13-2006, 11:20 AM
All jokes aside, the fires are getting pretty serious and are bound to get worse. I know in our county I volunteer to help run water and sandwiches to the firefighters when they have been out there for days etc..... every little thing helps.
I guess what I am asking is what else is it can we do to help you firefighters out in times like this other than cut our brush back etc??...... what helps the most and are there places we can volunteer to help out more? I for one am VERY grateful to still have my house and will do anything I can do to help out more............

Ziggy
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
Anza, Ca.
gonna be a bad yr.
THAT SUCKS! I hope they make out ok.................
They got lucky......Firecrews stoped it less than a block from his home......, saved his neighbors house too.........
Anza is very rural, unpaved roads and tall Chapparel/manzanita everywhere. Indian Reservation actually.

little rowe boat
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM
All jokes aside, the fires are getting pretty serious and are bound to get worse. I know in our county I volunteer to help run water and sandwiches to the firefighters when they have been out there for days etc..... every little thing helps.
I guess what I am asking is what else is it can we do to help you firefighters out in times like this other than cut our brush back etc??...... what helps the most and are there places we can volunteer to help out more? I for one am VERY grateful to still have my house and will do anything I can do to help out more............
Don't wait until the last second to evacuate, it makes it more difficult for us to get our fire apparatus where it is needed as quickly as it is needed.

Rexone
07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
It's looking ugly today out there, two fires to merge I hear. Huge smoke visible from Upland area probably 60-80 miles to the west of Yucca V / Anza.

blackcloud75
07-13-2006, 12:46 PM
A little info. for those interested.....
http://www.nifc.gov/fireinfo/nfn.html

76ANTHONY
07-13-2006, 01:31 PM
It's looking ugly today out there, two fires to merge I hear. Huge smoke visible from Upland area probably 60-80 miles to the west of Yucca V / Anza.
the one in yucca is about 40000 acres and keeps gettin bigger, 15%contained..

Flyinbowtie
07-13-2006, 01:44 PM
T 'n everybody...
We have had to evac three times in the past 18 years or so.
Cindy has a couple of those big plastic boxes with the folding lids that she keeps in the closet. Inside are the photos, etc. that cannot be replaced.
They are the"go" boxes that get loaded up first thing if it looks like we gotta leave.
My modest collection of firearms and originals of important papers are in a fireproof 1200lb gun safe. It would be my luck the fire that gets us will hit when I ain't here. The safe is insurance against that.
I took digital photos of all my guns, tools, our antiques and collectable stuff, made a list of what they all were, burned it all to a CD and sent a copy to my BIL in SoCal, there is one in the safe and one in the safe at Cindy's work.
Traci, Cindy can show them to you when you guys come up :rolleyes:
We have a lkist of who drives what if we have to leave, where to meet, and a couple of places to stash cars and stuff should the need arise.
Other than those
About 5 years ago I was the S.O.'s liason to a commitee that included everybody from the local CDF Unit Chief down to the local Fire Districts. We put together an evac plan for a subdivison in our county that we are very afraid of what the results would be of a fast-moving brush fire.
We spent a year on this, had evac routes and secondaries for all streets, had shelter in place plans and places for people to go if they were caught in a firestorm. This community is bisected by a golf course with lots of lakes, so there are options.
Then, we mailed a copy of this plan to every address in the subdivision. We put a note in it asking the residents to call a #, and leave a message that they had rec'd the plan and understood it.
We got less than a 20% response.
It is going to get very, very ugly when this place burns.
And, it will burn, someday.
Know more than one route out of your home.
Have a plan.
Leave early. If it looks like you might have to leave, do it. If it is a dry run, you had some practice. Waiting until your neighbor leaves just puts you behind him. If you are pulling an RV or large trailer or whatever, try and use a route when leaving that won't be the one the Fire Apparatus is trying to use to get in. It is amazing how many folks only know one way out of their homes. It only take one upset seasoned citizen in his 40ft. pusher to block the damn road, trapping himself and everybody behind him.
When these big fires get going, you cannot save your house with a garden hose. I have 100 ft of 1-1/2 inch firehose and 90 PSI against a 3 inch line, 1500 gallons of self-refilling gravity fed water right next to my garage door. I just barely saved mine with that in 1988.
Your cell phone won't work. You won't have power. Houses get so hot that they literally explode into flame, molten aluminum from a fence or a car radiaitor or whatever running down the street will destroy your tires if you drive through it. Lotsa bad stuff.
Get out early. Don't try to go back until the all-clear is given. Shut off the gas to the house. Shut off the main power breaker. Have a plan, practice it and follow it.

Her454
07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
HOLY SHIT Thats some great information FBT. People that dont live in Fire country have no idea how quick and devastating it can be. Lots of GREAT info there, Im going to do the pic thing as soon as I can get some time...EDIT, going to make time for that.
Thanks Jeff, you just might have helped save someone, or their house.

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 03:45 PM
We need to hope that weather conditions improve out in the IE to let fire fighters get a handle on that huge fire out there.

Throttle
07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
That's a stressful feeling, especially when you have others counting on you. Good luck...
mmm??? :idea:
I tried logging into staffing 2da and could not get on... are things a mess back in the oc from us sending strike teams everywhere? the smoke is drifting this dirrection (havi) maybe from whatever was burning outside of 29 palms, and making some kool sunsets...

4day!!
07-13-2006, 08:55 PM
mmm??? :idea:
I tried logging into staffing 2da and could not get on... are things a mess back in the oc from us sending strike teams everywhere? the smoke is drifting this dirrection (havi) maybe from whatever was burning outside of 29 palms, and making some kool sunsets...
I think we have 3 strike teams out. All type 3.
Logging on to staffing while in Havi? Jeeesh :rolleyes: Go crash the dirtbike or something :rollside: I'll let you know about the test drive when my bro inlaw gets back to me. trying for monday morning the 24th.