PDA

View Full Version : What to do when it hits???

Water Romper
07-11-2006, 07:28 AM
After all the threads regarding monsoons at Havi lately, and the fact that I have never been in one while boating, what is the best course of action?
If I am at the channel (beached) watching dancers get ticketed and a monsoon hits, what would guys do?
If I hurry to the ramp, say Windsor, I am going to run into all the other boaters franticly trying to get off the lake. :yuk:
If I stay parked in the channel, I guess I leave the bimini top up to try and shield some of the water and ride out the storm however in a monsoon I donÂ’t think it much mattersÂ… :cry:
I guess I could get under the bridge and just hang out there until it blows overÂ…but I assume I would be joined by all the other peeps with the same idea...
If I was out on the lake I think I would see the clouds getting ugly then I would be able haul azz to the nearest cove or head back to the ramp and try and beat the storm..
How long do these thing last...
Keep in mind my boat is only a 19 foot Carrera, low profile with not much freeboard so the churning-choppy water would be devistating..
Or, do I sell the boat, buy a 'toon??? :crossx:

OutCole'd
07-11-2006, 07:33 AM
I lost a 18' Jet boat in a Monsoon way back trying to beat the storm back to the channel. I would try to find the nearest cove & hang there or like when mine hit, it was traveling South across the lake, looking back, I should have just kept traveling South and just out ran it. Let it end then head back at the end of the day. Instead, I was bailing water out of my air cleaner.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-11-2006, 07:34 AM
We usually just hang out and sit under the bimini. Doesn't often last more than 1/2 an hour.
Unless we are already at the slip at Katherine. Then we hang out also, but get to watch a good show at the ramp. The best is the folks trying to put the pontoon boat on the trailer with the full bimini up. The worst is seeing a young woman trying to maintain a jetboat while her husband/boyfriend is retrieving the trailer in the 1-2 hour line and you can see she is really scared.
Beach it, I say, till it blows over. Plus, then the launch lines will be a lot shorter. :D

Water Romper
07-11-2006, 07:37 AM
How long do these things last? :eek:

Ziggy
07-11-2006, 07:40 AM
pretty much regardless of where you are at the best scenario is to wait it out........other boaters on beaches have been more than cordial when you approach their beach for shelter from the storm.
If you see it coming and have the option to pull out before then go for it, but realize others may be doing the same so the ramps could get scetchy.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-11-2006, 07:45 AM
How long do these things last? :eek:
From what I've seen, usually 30-60 minutes. Don't hold me to it, but that's been my experience. I have seen some that last a lot longer, but that is on very rare occasions. What's everyone else think?

Ziggy
07-11-2006, 07:47 AM
From what I've seen, usually 30-60 minutes. Don't hold me to it, but that's been my experience. I have seen some that last a lot longer, but that is on very rare occasions. What's everyone else think?
I'd say that is about right.....the rain might continue but the wind usually dies down

Jyruiz
07-11-2006, 07:49 AM
I have never seen a monsoon last longer than an hour, if that, but we have always waited them out, the lake gets real nice after that, except for the humidity. The river (Needles) however doesnt. One time we got to Needles just as a monsoon past, and five minutes later, the water turned brown. I guess it was from all the runoff the monsoon rain caused. I would not want to put my boat in that though, it look real nasty with all kinds of stuff floating in the water.

HM
07-11-2006, 07:55 AM
That would be a good reccomendation. Although at Mohave last week, we had one hit right about 1 PM and it did not let up until about 4 AM. There was a boat that pulled into our cove and ended up staying the night under a tarp on the beach. We offered for them to come hang out, but they said they were fine. I had fun battening down the hatches as that storm was crazy. Wind blew from every direction. Lightening was right over head a few times as well...once while I was on the sea doo resetting the anchor to our boat....that was a tad scary. :220v:

Ziggy
07-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Lightening was right over head a few times as well...once while I was on the sea doo resetting the anchor to our boat....that was a tad scary. :220v:
Holy Moly !! :eek: :D

havaduner
07-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Stay where you are. The channel is well protected (except for lightning) Put the bimini up and wait it out. If it rains for an extended time, and your boat has auto bilge, you can always head to the bar for a drink. One other thing, I have heard rumor, that if you are on your 'toon, and have girls dancing on it, the cops wont give you a ticket!!!!!!!!! :rollside:

catman-do
07-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Ive been in a few the past couple weeks out in Havi. This last time we just parked it in a cove with some bigger cliffs so they would block a little bit of the wind. The weekend of the 4th (monday) I just drove through it. But im also in a little bit bigger of a boat that would handle the chop the wind brings.

DILLIGAF
07-11-2006, 09:03 AM
All good advice. I am still unsure what to do about the lightning though. What is the best thing to do when the lightning starts hitting around you?

Jyruiz
07-11-2006, 09:06 AM
All good advice. I am still unsure what to do about the lightning though. What is the best thing to do when the lightning starts hitting around you?
Fly a kite with a key and harness the electricity. :)

Ziggy
07-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Hold up a metal shafted umbrella?? :idea: :)
Wondered the same myself...stand in the water or in the boat? Or just hold your breath and hope?

havaduner
07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
If your on land, stay low, and away from trees (anything tall for that matter)
Not sure what the best thing to do on the boat would be. I dont know that lightning strikes water, so would it be best to be in the water, away from the boat?

Jyruiz
07-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Lighting will strike on the water, stay in your midcabin.

HM
07-11-2006, 09:17 AM
From the National Weather Service (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm) :
[QUOTE]
The vast majority of lightning injuries and deaths on boats occur on small boats with NO cabin. It is crucial to listen to the weather on a small aquatic vessel without a cabin. If thunderstorms are forecast, don't go out. If you are out on the water and skies are threatening, get back to land and find a safe building or vehicle.
Boats with cabins offer a safer but not perfect environment. Safety is increased further if the boat has a properly installed lightning protection system. If you are inside the cabin, stay away from metal and all electrical components. STAY OFF THE RADIO UNLESS IT IS AN ABSOLUTE EMERGENCY!
What should you do if you are on a small vessel and lightning becomes a threat? If the vessel has an anchor, then you should properly anchor the boat then get as low as possible.
Large boats with cabins, especially those with lightning protection systems properly installed or metal marine vessels are relatively safe. Remember to stay inside the cabin and away from any metal surfaces.
Bottom line...get off the water as soon as possible.

Hardly Satisfied
07-11-2006, 09:19 AM
just wait it out

Sleek-Jet
07-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Considering that the Monsoons are a weather pattern, if you've boated from about the first of July to the middle/end of August, you've boated in the monsoons.
If you mean T-storms... Lightning strikes aside, if I get caught out, I try to find a cross-wind cove or canyon and sit back to enjoy the show. If you've ever tried to load a boat in 3 - 5 foot storm seas you'll see the logic in that. That being said, I'm pretty vigilant on watching the sky when I'm out on the water, as soon as those big thunder bumpers start making their move toward the water, I'm headed to the boat ramp and a beer back at the RV.

DILLIGAF
07-11-2006, 09:29 AM
From the [QUOTE]National Weather Service (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm) :
Bottom line...get off the water as soon as possible.
Sounds like if you are on the boat when the lightning starts hitting and you are with a woman...get naked and go to town staying as low as possible in the mid-cabin :)

Not So Fast
07-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye, or not :D NSF

HM
07-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Sounds like if you are on the boat when the lightning starts hitting and you are with a woman...get naked and go to town staying as low as possible in the mid-cabin :)
Men account for 84% of lightening strike deaths and 82% of lightening strike injuries. See if she lets you get on top of her with those stats.
Odds of being struck by lightening in any given year? 1/240,000
Odds of being struck by lightening in your life time? 1/3000
Odds of being affected by someone struck by lightening? 1/300
Odds of knowing someone struck by lightening? 1/10
Keraunophobia: Fear of thunder and lightning
Also, little known fact about lightening....the bolt starts from the ground and goes up. The charge starts in the air, but the electricity flows from the ground up.

Water Romper
07-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Looks like my best line of defense is just to keep my eyes open. :rolleyes:
I don’t not have a “cabin” I have a stainless steel frame on my bimini and a small boat… :cry: however after 25+ years playing at the lake and river I have yet to be caught in one…”knock on wood” :rollside:

Water Romper
07-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Men account for 84% of lightening strike deaths and 82% of lightening strike injuries. See if she lets you get on top of her with those stats.
Odds of being struck by lightening in any given year? 1/240,000
Odds of being struck by lightening in your life time? 1/3000
Odds of being affected by someone struck by lightening? 1/300
Odds of knowing someone struck by lightening? 1/10
Keraunophobia: Fear of thunder and lightning
Also, little known fact about lightening....the bolt starts from the ground and goes up. The charge starts in the air, but the electricity flows from the ground up.
See what amazing facts we learn here at H/B :crossx:

RiverDave
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
There is so much metal in today's performance boats.. And I know so little about electricity, I think I'd just park it on a beach, or put it on a dock and walk away from it for awhile. Leave the bildges running if your going to leave it unattended. I think if lightning struck a 21 - 25 daycruiser and you were in it.. Or if it struck the water (which I don't believe it could becuase it always searches for the highest point.. aka the boat your in) near it, you'd most likely be focked. I don't think I'd ever sit in the boat and "enjoy the show" though, becuase on the water YOUR BOAT would be the lightning rod? God help you if your in a wakeboard boat with a tower?
RD

DILLIGAF
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I think I'd just park it on a beach, or put it on a dock and walk away from it for awhile.
And exactly where would you be going when out on the lake somewhere? Go lay down on the beach?

Water Romper
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
R/D, interesting point...I wonder what the stats are of small boats (14 to 35 feet) getting zapped by lightning? I wonder if big boats (ships) like cruise ships and navy ships (air craft carriers etc) get hit, I would assume they have lightning rodsÂ…
All I know is if my boat got hit, I would defiantly be screwedÂ…. :2purples:

LAFD
07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
try to find a cove to chill at. turn your auto bilge pump on and wait it out.

RiverDave
07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
And exactly where would you be going when out on the lake somewhere? Go lay down on the beach?
Sitting on the beach away from the water drinking beers in the rain, and if all goes well listening to music from the boat.. (Atleast until lightning hits it)
I sure as hell wouldn't be in the boat or in the water though. That's just asking to be a statistic.
When a monsoon hits out there, it's still 80 - 90 degrees outside. I'm not scared of a little water, Drinking beers on the beach in the rain doesn't sound to bad. ;) :) Better then dieing anyways.
RD

Sleek-Jet
07-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I'd rather take my chances of getting struck be lightning than running 20 miles across a storm swept lake and then trying to do something with the boat whenever I got where I was going... been there before, got the scars on the boat to prove it.
Not really sure that sitting on the beach next to the boat would be any safer from lightning strikes.

DILLIGAF
07-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Sitting on the beach away from the water drinking beers in the rain, and if all goes well listening to music from the boat.. (Atleast until lightning hits it)
I sure as hell wouldn't be in the boat or in the water though. That's just asking to be a statistic.
When a monsoon hits out there, it's still 80 - 90 degrees outside. I'm not scared of a little water, Drinking beers on the beach in the rain doesn't sound to bad. ;) :) Better then dieing anyways.
RD
Away from the trees and other objects I guess. Doesn't that make you a bigger target though? I have never understood this shit. If it hits the higher points then why not be somewhat close to a tree but far enough away so if it does strike it will go and hit the tree?
Sitting out drinking beers in the open while lightning is active in the area is pretty scary shiznit :)

2Driver
07-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Looks like my best line of defense is just to keep my eyes open. :rolleyes:
Exactly, and get off the lake when you see the dark stuff starting to accumulate especially in that Carrera ( IÂ’ve had two 21's). No one wants to cut short a great day on the river hence, some hang out 30-60 minutes too long then their caught.
Also :idea: get internet access on your cell phone or blackberry where you can see the http://www.wunderground.com/ radar. It's priceless. Worse case call a friend that is by their PC and have them look up 86403 on http://www.wunderground.com/ if you need to know whatÂ’s coming. I've posted a couple storms for LHC about 45 minutes before they whacked the river. Worse case a cheap handhled FRS with Marine Band works good too. I use both.

2Driver
07-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Do a google image search for lightning hits boat.
The only thing that comes up is a review of a Carrera boat. It's a sign! :rollside:

Roxysnow
07-11-2006, 11:41 AM
If we\'re in the Channel we usually stay put til it ends. It\'s amazing how many peeps trying to jump in their boats and back out when the wind is blowing 40mph....idiots! Just watch the direction of the wind and the clouds above. If were stuck on the water, we try to make it to Thompson bay and put around til it\'s done!

ChumpChange
07-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Roxysnow:
Why is there always a \ before the ' on your conjunctions?

Desert Rat
07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Some info from a NOAA site
"Get out of the water. It's a great conductor of electricity.
Stay off the beach and out of small boats or canoes. If caught in a boat, crouch down in the center of the boat away from metal hardware.
Swimming, wading, snorkeling and scuba diving are NOT safe. Lightning can strike the water and travel some distance beneath and away from its point of contact.
Don't stand in puddles of water, even if wearing rubber boots.
Avoid metal! Drop metal backpacks, stay away from clothes lines, fences, exposed sheds and electrically conductive elevated objects.
Don't hold on to metal items such golf clubs, fishing rods, tennis rackets or tools. Large metal objects can conduct lightning. Small metal objects can cause burns.
Move away from a group of people. Stay several yards away from other people. Don't share a bleacher bench or huddle in a group.

Water Romper
07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Do a google image search for lightning hits boat.
The only thing that comes up is a review of a Carrera boat. It's a sign! :rollside:
Stupid Carrera! :D :D :D

2Driver
07-11-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/News/062400/TampaBay/Bolt_kills_boater_nea.shtml

Roxysnow
07-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Roxysnow:
Why is there always a \\ before the \' on your conjunctions?
Because I am using an ANONYMOUS WEBSITE. Our work has websense and ***boat is blocked. It is something this site I am using does. No way I can fix it!

Water Romper
07-11-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/News/062400/TampaBay/Bolt_kills_boater_nea.shtml
See, there ya go. If ya donÂ’t get killed by "lake lice" , tweakers, homies, snakes, scorpions or sun poisoning the stupid lightning will get meÂ… :crossx:

RiverDave
07-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd rather take my chances of getting struck be lightning than running 20 miles across a storm swept lake and then trying to do something with the boat whenever I got where I was going... been there before, got the scars on the boat to prove it.
Not really sure that sitting on the beach next to the boat would be any safer from lightning strikes.
You don't think sitting on the beach (lower point) on the ground is safer then sitting in a boat (highest point on the water) in a boat with metal / billet shit everywhere on it?
Just to clarify I dunno shit about lightning, and know even less about electricity, but my brain told me to beach the boat, and sit on the ground somewhere enjoying drinks in the rain, mostly just to get out of and away from the water!
RD

Sleek-Jet
07-11-2006, 05:55 PM
You don't think sitting on the beach (lower point) on the ground is safer then sitting in a boat (highest point on the water) in a boat with metal / billet shit everywhere on it?
Just to clarify I dunno shit about lightning, and know even less about electricity, but my brain told me to beach the boat, and sit on the ground somewhere enjoying drinks in the rain, mostly just to get out of and away from the water!
RD
I don't have shit for billet on my boat... :D :D :D
Fiberglass is an insulator, I doubt you'd even notice anything if lightning hit the water and you were in the boat. The bimini being attatched to the boat removes it from the ground source (the ground in this case). I wouldn't be out playing in the water, but would feel just as safe in the boat as anywhere else.
I've ridden out some pretty impressive lightning storms at Powell over the years. You're more at risk negotiating the waves in the main channel of the lake than sitting in a little side canyon.
Like I said before, the best place is drinking cocktails back at the RV, years of boating in the southwest have taught me that. But, if you get caught out, lightning is the least of your worries, IMHO.

Jordy
07-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I suppose those are all great facts and should be taken with a grain of salt from someone who can't even spell "LIGHTNING" though. ;)
3 types of lightning:
Cloud to ground.
Ground to cloud.
Cloud to cloud.
I took the liberty of interchanging the word "cloud" in space of "air" or "atmosphere" as you can get struck by lightning on an absolutely clear day without a cloud in the sky, however it's most often associated with thunderstorms and dark clouds. ;)
Wow, that was before I even googled it:
THE MOST COMMON TYPES OF LIGHTNING
Cloud-to-ground lightning is the most damaging and dangerous form of lightning. Although not the most common type, it is the one which is best understood. Most flashes originate near the lower-negative charge center and deliver negative charge to Earth. However, an appreciable minority of flashes carry positive charge to Earth. These positive flashes often occur during the dissipating stage of a thunderstorm's life. Positive flashes are also more common as a percentage of total ground strikes during the winter months.
Intra-cloud lightning is the most common type of discharge. This occurs between oppositely charged centers within the same cloud. Usually the process takes place within the cloud and looks from the outside of the cloud like a diffuse brightening which flickers. However, the flash may exit the boundary of the cloud and a bright channel, similar to a cloud-to-ground flash, can be visible for many miles.
The ratio of cloud-to-ground and intra-cloud lightning can vary significantly from storm to storm. Storms with the greatest vertical development may produce intra-cloud lightning almost exclusively. Some suggest that the variations are latitude-dependent, with a greater percentage of cloud-to-ground strikes occurring at higher latitudes. Others suggest that cloud-top height is a more important variable than latitude.
Details of why a discharge stays within a cloud or comes to ground are not understood. Perhaps a flash propagates toward the Earth when the electric field gradient in the lower regions of the cloud is stronger in the downward direction.
Depending upon cloud height above ground and changes in electric field strength between cloud and Earth, the discharge stays within the cloud or makes direct contact with the Earth. If the field strength is highest in the lower regions of the cloud a downward flash may occur from cloud to Earth.
Inter-cloud lightning, as the name implies, occurs between charge centers in two different clouds with the discharge bridging a gap of clear air between them.

Jordy
07-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Sitting on the beach away from the water drinking beers in the rain
In an aluminum can??? Are you nuts??? I'd prefer a Goose and soda about this time, in a plastic cup of course. Just another example of how beer can kill you!!! :D :D :D

Biglue
07-11-2006, 06:29 PM
I suppose those are all great facts and should be taken with a grain of salt from someone who can't even spell "LIGHTNING" though. ;)
3 types of lightning:
Cloud to ground.
Ground to cloud.
Cloud to cloud.
I took the liberty of interchanging the word "cloud" in space of "air" or "atmosphere" as you can get struck by lightning on an absolutely clear day without a cloud in the sky, however it's most often associated with thunderstorms and dark clouds. ;)
Wow, that was before I even googled it:
First it was Dr. Phil, then you went all Dr. Ruth and now meteorologist extraordinare (sp?)........you've been a busy chap today. :D

rmarion
07-11-2006, 07:35 PM
I just carry a 1-iron golf club with me in the boat..........even God can't hit a 1-Iron

DILLIGAF
07-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I just carry a 1-iron golf club with me in the boat..........even God can't hit a 1-Iron
Rick....Lee Trevino :)

77charger
07-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I have seen them at powell usually we stay put and let it go by if on the main channel head for a cove or canyon.Last time there we had a good one go by that lasted for a long time 3-4 hrs we parked at end of canyon on a beach tucked under an ez up.Always anchor boat pointing against the waves vs beaching it too.

Magic34
07-11-2006, 08:16 PM
We were on our boat in Tampa one afternoon. I think it has some anti-lightning stuff, but a massive storm rolled in. We just anchored off an island and waited it out, but it scared the fockin' crap out of me. I watched a sailboat about 400 yards off the starboard side anchored get nailed on the main mast with a huge bolt. Then, a fockin' waterspout was about 1/2 mile in front of this. I crapped my pants and thought we were going to die.
This lasted about 90 minutes, and I never want to do it again. The boat is 55' and doesn't matter how damn big it could have been, a tornado on the water with lightning is enough to keep me from going back. :220v:
Still gives me the chills typing this story and this was about 7 years ago that we were in this. I have never seen it rain so damn hard.
AZ and the monsoon lightning has nothing on some of the crap in the Tampa area.

RiverRatMike
07-11-2006, 08:25 PM
After all the threads regarding monsoons at Havi lately, and the fact that I have never been in one while boating, what is the best course of action?
If I am at the channel (beached) watching dancers get ticketed and a monsoon hits, what would guys do?
If I hurry to the ramp, say Windsor, I am going to run into all the other boaters franticly trying to get off the lake. :yuk:
If I stay parked in the channel, I guess I leave the bimini top up to try and shield some of the water and ride out the storm however in a monsoon I donÂ’t think it much mattersÂ… :cry:
I guess I could get under the bridge and just hang out there until it blows overÂ…but I assume I would be joined by all the other peeps with the same idea...
If I was out on the lake I think I would see the clouds getting ugly then I would be able haul azz to the nearest cove or head back to the ramp and try and beat the storm..
How long do these thing last...
Keep in mind my boat is only a 19 foot Carrera, low profile with not much freeboard so the churning-choppy water would be devistating..
Or, do I sell the boat, buy a 'toon??? :crossx:
Get out your camera and take pictures, at least that's what I do!

RiverRatMike
07-11-2006, 08:26 PM
I have never seen a monsoon last longer than an hour, if that, but we have always waited them out, the lake gets real nice after that, except for the humidity. The river (Needles) however doesnt. One time we got to Needles just as a monsoon past, and five minutes later, the water turned brown. I guess it was from all the runoff the monsoon rain caused. I would not want to put my boat in that though, it look real nasty with all kinds of stuff floating in the water.
Monsoons here in the AZ desert can last well over 1 hr. I've been living out here for years now and have seen them last well over 4 to 5 hrs. That is when the storm is very strong and exciting!

hava life
07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
I still beleive the best thing to do if you get caught in the monsoon is to wait it out. I have been caught in quit a few of them and only 1 time I tried to beat it to the launch ramp, the storm won. Nothing is worse then to get to the ramp ahead of the storm only to find out that when you run to the truck and try to load the boat It will catch up real quick. From then on I will go to the channel or a cove and wait it out. I think it was 3 yrs. ago when one hit and we went to the channel beached the boat waited for 2 hours and when we went to the launch at Windsor there where boats all over on the rocks and the divers were getting boats (I lost those pictures). If you go to a cove be sure you anchor, the wind will push the boat quicker then you would think it would. Last year that was the cause of 1 death.

Wake Havasu
07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Bmini down and beach a few yards froma wakeboard boat.
They have lightening rods built in to keep you safe.
Wait 30 to 60 minutes and boat home.

Titan7
07-11-2006, 09:08 PM
We were in Copper Canyon on the 4th tied up with about 5 boats when a moonson hit about 4:30 pm. I was floating in the water and the wind just kicked up to about 30+MPH and the line of boat moved about 25 feet in seconds, I swam to the boat got in, we untied and got out of there fast. I suggested ditching at another friends place at Havasu Palms, but by that time it was really bad out there. My friend decided to try and outrun it and get back to Cattail. We did but it was a really bad ride to the ramp. We should have left earlier.
Scary stuff but not as bad as Lake Powell a couple years ago. We were coming back from Rainbow Bridge in the main channel in a 21 foot Malibu Response LX with 8 people in 3-5 swells until we ditched into a canyon. That was NO FUN. I hope we avoid that experience in 7 weeks when we head back to Powell.

shueman
07-11-2006, 09:09 PM
If your on land, stay low, and away from trees (anything tall for that matter)
Not sure what the best thing to do on the boat would be. I dont know that lightning strikes water, so would it be best to be in the water, away from the boat?
From what I know, when lightening strikes water, it moves across the surface, looking for something to ground on. that would be your boat, if your out there floating.... :220v:
If you even suspect that a t-storm with lightening is on its way, get to land and anchor the back of the boat to protect yourself. Best to sit on the beach, away from the water.
If your making a run for it back to the channel or the launch ramp, run with a bunch of others; cuts down the odds a little.... :p

bignet
07-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Wrap your kids in foil, and grab a camera! :220v:
bignet

Havasu1986
07-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I have been in many at Havi over the years. We have waited thru them, we have tried to out run them. But the worst one was when we were in the channel and it came up. We decided to go for Windsor. I was parked in the over flow parking and I was dropped off. We have 2 way radios and all I could hear was yelling and screaming from my wife, while I was trying to get to the ramp. I was 100 yards and I couldn't see the lake. Next time, wait it out.

Magic34
07-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Scary stuff but not as bad as Lake Powell a couple years ago. We were coming back from Rainbow Bridge in the main channel in a 21 foot Malibu Response LX with 8 people in 3-5 swells until we ditched into a canyon. That was NO FUN. I hope we avoid that experience in 7 weeks when we head back to Powell.
Done that one too, but it wasn't raining too hard. Just 5-6 foot swells in a 18' bowrider Sea Ray. I was 16, and the guy driving the boat was asking me what we should do. I thought we were sinking that day. One of the very few times I was scared enough to put a life jacket.
Damn, 2 stories of me being freaked out... It's true, I'm weak.

Playbuoy
07-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Not sure if anyone was on Mojave near Cottonwood Cove on the afternoon
of July 4th. But if you were, you saw one of the worse monsoons of
recent memory.
My wife being from Scottsdale is an awesome monsoon detector. We were on
my 26' Chap with my parents and she saw it forming. We got back to the
marina about 30mins before it hit.
Winds were recorded at 70mph gusts. Rain was nuts....couldn't see your
hand in front of your face. Must have been a nightmare for many boats on
the water. I'm sure there were some incidents.
Fortunately we made it back because someone on board had good boating
sense that day. (Thanks wifey.) We also carry a radio on us that gets us
weather alerts, but often keeping a keen eye to the sky is one of the
best indicators.
Two days before July 4th, we got caught in a mild monsoon, heavy rain
and 40mph winds. We were headed back to the marina trying to beat it but
got caught in the basin. We made it through, but it wasn't easy.
My thing is, I've found it impossible to anchor through strong winds,
let alone a monsoon. And, what if a monsoon hits and your anchor begins
to drag bad? Try sorting out that nightmare during a monsoon. Forget
about it.
Know the boating conditions for each day. If there is a chance for a
thunderstorm, keep your eye to the sky and note which way the storm is
moving. Then plan accordingly.
Monsoons are drama.

Jordy
07-11-2006, 10:41 PM
From the storms I've seen roll into Pleasant and Powell, the worst thing you can do, if you're still on the water and can't find a secluded cove to protect you from the weather, is to put your boat up on the beach. This just lowers your freeboard and guarantees that you will take water over your transom and be swamped. The best thing to do if you're in the middle of it, is to put your bow into the storm, turn your bilge pumps on, let the hull do what it was designed to do, and ride it out.
I was on the water riding it out when they sank 17 or so boats on Pleasant during a monsoon last year. Derailed a few docks and even sank a few right on the dock. Just bow into the wind and ride it out. If nothing else, put it in gear and head into the storm at an idle. It's scary shit, but not the end of the world. The worst thing you can do is have rollers coming over your transom and swamping you, either on the water or on a beach.

ThongMagnet
07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
When you see a build up of clouds...purple. You have 30 minintes to be off the lake, NOT 30 Minutes to get to the boat ramp!!!! Put your life jackets on at this time. Use those 30 minutes to get to a shoreline upwind. Turn your bilge pump on and leave it on until the storm has past. A cove will work great if it can protect you from the wind. Take your bimini down. Don't worry about the water, your top is not going to help, but only act as a lighting rod. Stay clam around the kids, and stay together.
Storms last 1-3 hours, but normally not much more than an hour. Try to store your gear so that it stays dry during the rain (Towels, t-shirts, blankets,etc...) You can use these to dry off you and the boat after the storm pass.

RitcheyRch
07-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Definitely some good information posted here.

Sleek-Jet
07-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Gee... I wonder what all the people in those houseboats on the lakes do when a T-storm moves in... :idea: :idea:

HM
07-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Gee... I wonder what all the people in those houseboats on the lakes do when a T-storm moves in... :idea: :idea:
They are safe. Because the boat is enclosed, the electricity will mostly travel on the outside. If you ever had a physics class, you got to test this phenomenom by charging a metal sphere and testing the current on the inside and outside of the sphere and you find there is no charge on in the inside. Houseboats are not metal spheres, but they are enclosed, so you get the almost the same result. You are not supposed to touch metal objects nor use any electronics. Same is true with your car. People think the car is safe because of the rubber tires since rubber is an insolator, not a conductor. but everything conducts electricity with enough amps - and a bolt of lightening has enough amps to power the entire U.S. for that brief moment it exists.
Partial enclosures are not safe.
Most the house boats now have this real tall generator exhause pipe, that basically is a lightening rod....and they haven't had any struck yet.

phebus
07-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I have always taken the approach that it's all good, and just open another beer.
It's gotten me this far in life :D
Oh, and stick with the beer, and don't let Mrs. 4B's daughter make drinks for you :crossx:

shueman
07-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Goggle'd this...interesting reading....
Boating Lightning Protection (http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000001-d000100/d000007/d000007.html)
:cool:

Sleek-Jet
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
They are safe. Because the boat is enclosed, the electricity will mostly travel on the outside. If you ever had a physics class, you got to test this phenomenom by charging a metal sphere and testing the current on the inside and outside of the sphere and you find there is no charge on in the inside. Houseboats are not metal spheres, but they are enclosed, so you get the almost the same result. You are not supposed to touch metal objects nor use any electronics. Same is true with your car. People think the car is safe because of the rubber tires since rubber is an insolator, not a conductor. but everything conducts electricity with enough amps - and a bolt of lightening has enough amps to power the entire U.S. for that brief moment it exists.
Partial enclosures are not safe.
Most the house boats now have this real tall generator exhause pipe, that basically is a lightening rod....and they haven't had any struck yet.
Yeah, it's called the skin effect, we learned about it in basic electricity. It's why electric lines have a steel core even though steel is really a horrible material to transmitt electricity (to much loss). Most of the current flows along the aluminum on the outside of the cable, not through the core.
I still say everyone is worrying about the wrong aspect of these thunderstorms... it's the wind that's going to ruin your day.
To each his own I guess... I'll ride it out in my plastic boat on the lake if need be.

uvindex
07-12-2006, 08:52 AM
lightening (three syllables) is what chicks are doing to their hair when they bleach it.
lightning (two syllables) is the stuff from thunderstorms. :)