PDA

View Full Version : Ford Excursion help

NautiTwins
07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Looking at buying an 04 limited. 6.0 Diesel 4x4.
I had the guy take it to a dealer to get inspected and the service lady printed off the Standard Claimes list for Modle year 2004. This basically shows every time the car was in for a problem.
It has been to the shop 10 times in 2 years. 3 times for rear glass exploding
2 times for engine runs poor feels like it is missing.
1 parking asst inop
1 starter noise, car will not turn over
The others were recalls!
Would you be worried buying this car? I know that when I bought my truck I had to take it back for minor issues. This car has not had a problem since june of 05, but I still have some concerns.
Any ford guys or people that have owned this car, if you could please help!
Thanks in advance

Run_em_Hard
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Ten times in two years sounds like way to much to me...

JetBoatRich
07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
what were the repairs made :rolleyes: vs Claims?
How did the explode the rear window :skull:

ChumpChange
07-11-2006, 10:34 AM
3 times for rear glass exploding
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

NautiTwins
07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Here is what the report says
1.CS left quarter window came apart at the bonded hinge
2.Cust. states left quarter glass fell out and broke and scratched paint in quarter panel
3.third time left quater glass fell out of veh. glass shattered causing damage to left quarter pa glass. Repair dents and scratches to left quarter panel. Realign fuel door, r and 1 fuel dorr r and damage was also shown to zone rep alan b.

DMOORE
07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
The only time I have seen rear glass explode on an suv is when it is bouncing at 50mph in the whoops at the desert. In other words having the S#^* beat out of it. Either that or the owner didn't secure anything down inside.
Darrell.

RitcheyRch
07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Depends on what the 10 times in 2 years was for. I wouldnt worry about the glass issues. I would be more concerned with having engine and drive train issues.

Biglue
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
10 times, 3 of which were the same issue. I'd find another one Jer. Good luck.

NautiTwins
07-11-2006, 10:43 AM
CS engine runs poor seems like its missing
test drove could not verify, performed self test found code p0603. pinpoint test revealed no problems. reprogrammed PCM 12650d.20, 12650d.20 12650dxi.10 12650d45.30 1265od81.50 12650d84.50

NautiTwins
07-11-2006, 10:46 AM
10 times, 3 of which were the same issue. I'd find another one Jer. Good luck.
I had the same problem with my 250. Not cracked windows, but sealing issues. I had to go back 4 times to get it right. so I am thinking this is the same issue that I had with my truck. I am more concerned with the vehicle runs poorly, and had to reprogram.
Let me tell you this. I drove the truck and it does not seem like it lacks any power at all. It is wicked fast and very responsive. but then I saw this report and just had to ask you guys.

DD_Tahiti
07-11-2006, 10:47 AM
I would stay away from the 6.0 motor. They didn't get all the bugs worked out until 2005. There are a couple of sites out there with recall info. The 6.0 has a number of recalls and that's most likely what it was recalled for. Find one that is a 2003 that has the 7.3. Just remember, not all 2003s have the 7.3, they started putting the 6.0 half way thru 03.

NautiTwins
07-11-2006, 10:49 AM
I would stay away from the 6.0 motor. They didn't get all the bugs worked out until 2005. There are a couple of sites out there with recall info. The 6.0 has a number of recalls and that's most likely what it was recalled for. Find one that is a 2003 that has the 7.3. Just remember, not all 2003s have the 7.3, they started putting the 6.0 half way thru 03.
Thanks

Run_em_Hard
07-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I would have to agree...the 7.3 was a much better motor.

NautiTwins
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Depends on what the 10 times in 2 years was for. I wouldnt worry about the glass issues. I would be more concerned with having engine and drive train issues.
That is really what I am concerned about. And it has been in the shop twice for engine running poorly. Is there a web site to check out and see any more history on this vehicle?

Rocky
07-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Its easy to break the rear glass on Excursions if you close the top lid with out shuting the rear doors all the way. I learned the hard way. :mad:

Caribbean Jet
07-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Here is what the report says
1.CS left quarter window came apart at the bonded hinge
2.Cust. states left quarter glass fell out and broke and scratched paint in quarter panel
3.third time left quater glass fell out of veh. glass shattered causing damage to left quarter pa glass. Repair dents and scratches to left quarter panel. Realign fuel door, r and 1 fuel dorr r and damage was also shown to zone rep alan b.
I would be more concerned on how she drove it. Sounds like the truck was twisted a lot.

NautiTwins
07-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I would be more concerned on how she drove it. Sounds like the truck was twisted a lot.
I called the dealer that first sold the truck and he gave me the entire run down on the window. It had to do with the spare tire being to tight and pressing against the glass.
Like I said earlier, she drives amazing. Very quick, very responsive. The dealer I took it to, to have checked out had it driven by two different techs and they were both equally impressed at the power. They think it has some kind of chip in it. It throws your head back really good when you stomp on it.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I have a 04' 6.0L, they had some problems in 03' and early 04'. I have no problems and drive mine hard every weekend. If in doubt, purchase an extended warranty, diesel repairs are costly!

ovrkll77
07-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I own a 2000 7.3 ex. the only problem I had with it was transmissions kept burning up. The 60 has much more engine problems that will probably never be worked out.

BajaMike
07-11-2006, 03:49 PM
These issues would worry me.....
"3 times for rear glass exploding"
"2 times for engine runs poor feels like it is missing."
:cry:

ChumpChange
07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Like I said earlier, she drives amazing. Very quick, very responsive. The dealer I took it to, to have checked out had it driven by two different techs and they were both equally impressed at the power. They think it has some kind of chip in it. It throws your head back really good when you stomp on it.
People chip vehicles so they can stomp on it too. Just think of it that way. Nobody buys a used Ferrari thinking that the car has never been raced.

Havasu Cig
07-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I would not touch it. We had the same vehicle and had it taken back under the lemon law. Sounds like this thing is or has had some of the same problems.

Panic Button
07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
My Ex had the rear window blow out twice. Pressure build up I guess. Both times happened in mid summer window bowed out, I learned to leave the rear windows cracked and didn't have a problem after that.

pm069
07-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Sounds like below par for Ford. They must have found the formula for making a POS smell better. Good luck! I would'nt touch it! WE all know the acromyns for FORD... found on road dead, etc. Reverse acromyn; driver returns on foot. Peace.

RitcheyRch
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I know a few people that have had thier rear 1/4 windows blow out on Suburbans and Tahoes. So, guess it doesnt just happen to FORD's.

pm069
07-12-2006, 06:11 AM
I work at a Chevy dealer in the service department and havent heard of it. But the old silverado's 1/4 glass used to come unsealed. Hey we are all humans :p

RitcheyRch
07-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Ooops, I meant the older models. My buddies Sub was a 1994.
I work at a Chevy dealer in the service department and havent heard of it. But the old silverado's 1/4 glass used to come unsealed. Hey we are all humans :p

BadKachina
07-12-2006, 06:38 AM
I have the power rear quarters on my Ex, I could see them breaking if I was go off road while they were open. Maybe the previous owner had something to do with them breaking, My 00 Ex hasn't ever had any window problems.
It almost sounds like the owner was a whiney pos, one of those customers that you wish would go somewhere else. :cry:
I guess if you are really interested in the truck, make sure you get a warranty thrown into the deal besides just the powertrain warranty.

NautiTwins
07-12-2006, 07:00 AM
I have the power rear quarters on my Ex, I could see them breaking if I was go off road while they were open. Maybe the previous owner had something to do with them breaking, My 00 Ex hasn't ever had any window problems.
It almost sounds like the owner was a whiney pos, one of those customers that you wish would go somewhere else. :cry:
I guess if you are really interested in the truck, make sure you get a warranty thrown into the deal besides just the powertrain warranty.
I called the dealer that originally sold the truck yesterday. They used it as a dealers car for 7000 miles, got all the bugs out and sold it as a Certified used vehicle to a resturante owner in the area. He used the truck for 1 1/2 years then tried to sell it at auction, did not make bid, then sold it to the guy I am buying it from. It comes with the powertrain warrenty and I am buying an aftermarket warrenty, since it has 54000 miles on it Ford will not give me the ESP.
Thanks for the replys.

pm069
07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Ooops, I meant the older models. My buddies Sub was a 1994.
I do remember a few 1/4 glasses breaking on the older Subs. FYI it was on the Silverado ext cab (for those that could'nt figure that out. :)

2Driver
07-12-2006, 07:42 AM
I would have sold the truck after 5 trips in. But that's me. I don't put up with crap like that or try to analyze it.... and you want to buy it?
Don't waste time trying to seperate the fly $hit from the pepper...drop it and move on.

In2Deep
07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
I purchased an 03 XLT new with the 6.0 (February '03 build date), had one injector issue and one turbo issue (replaced both) within the first 1,000 miles.
Both issues well documented as early-build issues.
No issues since, and have 33,000 miles on the odometer.
The motor was reflashed 3 times as part of the recalls -- also well documented.

catman-do
07-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I had an 04 excursion diesel and the only time the glass busted was from the flag while we were in Glamis. However I had the heads redone two times. The dealership said it was from having the Banks SixGun on there. Besides that there werent any other problems. But all cars if run hard enough will have problems I would see how the mechanics thought the car was taken care of. Ive got an 05 dodge 2500 diesel right now and just got it back from the dealership on Friday with a new longblock. Diesel tech said thats the 2nd time in 12 years he has seen a cummins blown. My 02 chevy never had motor problems but it did have a bunch of tranny problems.

Tequila-John
07-12-2006, 08:17 AM
I have an 05 V10 and its never been in the shop AT ALL only for fluid changes. Best big boy ride out there. Pulls the cobra like there is nothing behind it.