PDA

View Full Version : Windsor drop off zone

Music to my Ears
07-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Just curious if anbody feels the same way that I do about loading/unloading passengers at Windsor. On the Saturday of the July 4th weekend, I was droping off my wife at the dock to pick up the truck and trailer. The weather was a bit nasty in the afternoon with some wind and rain. All of the slips were taken so I had to drop her off on one of the fingers as most everyone was having to do. As she jumped off, she slipped on the dock, landed on her rips on the side of the dock and ended up in the water - having broken or seriously injured her ribs. (the doctor wouldn't take x-rays since they treat it the same way). Thankfully, several people helped her that day with which I am in huge appreciation of!!
My question to all of you is - wouldn't we be better served if the end tie on the North ramp was painted yellow or marked clearly as a loading/unloading spot only. This would be much safer in my opinion and also reduce the blocking of other boats that are trying to line up on their trailers. I realize that her slipping could happen regardless, but having a larger area with which to drop off someone would reduce the chances of someone getting hurt. It seems like such a simple fix to me. Any thoughts?

bruddah
07-12-2006, 06:54 AM
this happend to me at site 6 on the 4th weekend. luckily i missed the dock and just banged my hip on the side of the boat and fell in. glad my girlfriend can drive the boat cause i would have been squished. that sounds like it would be safer to have at about all the ramps to have a loading/unloading zone.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Oh man, that sucks. I hope she is ok.

voodoomedman
07-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Just curious if anbody feels the same way that I do about loading/unloading passengers at Windsor. On the Saturday of the July 4th weekend, I was droping off my wife at the dock to pick up the truck and trailer. The weather was a bit nasty in the afternoon with some wind and rain. All of the slips were taken so I had to drop her off on one of the fingers as most everyone was having to do. As she jumped off, she slipped on the dock, landed on her rips on the side of the dock and ended up in the water - having broken or seriously injured her ribs. (the doctor wouldn't take x-rays since they treat it the same way). Thankfully, several people helped her that day with which I am in huge appreciation of!!
My question to all of you is - wouldn't we be better served if the end tie on the North ramp was painted yellow or marked clearly as a loading/unloading spot only. This would be much safer in my opinion and also reduce the blocking of other boats that are trying to line up on their trailers. I realize that her slipping could happen regardless, but having a larger area with which to drop off someone would reduce the chances of someone getting hurt. It seems like such a simple fix to me. Any thoughts?
I agree. It happens almost everytime I'm there. Even if none of the slips are taken someone takes that end tie off because they don't know how to drive their boat and then they stay there forever with 4 people in the boat while the driver is away somewhere. Leave that for touch and go drop off's only. Also, if your not coming or going from the dock or your trailer get the heck out of traffics way and back out by the buoys.

1ASKYDV
07-12-2006, 07:00 AM
AMEN....That is a great idea.
In the past I have had to have my wife jump off into the water in the shallow area to the right side of the ramp because there was no where to drop her off at the docks.
Personally I can't understand why people camp out at the docks anyway.

atomickitn
07-12-2006, 07:17 AM
i totaly agree the f..ock wads that seem to take up the area right in front of the ramps and the docks ....waiting for there trailer that never seems to come fast enough......everybody on my boat screams out loud to move there f.n stuff and wait out at the buoys.....there seems to be a lack of courtesy...for loading and un loading boats....stupid people are soo rude .i truly think that if your boat is not broke down or you are done loading get the f out of the way soo others can do the same in a timely matter .... :cool: :crossx: oh ask mrs racer on this matter and see her response..?

Daytona100
07-12-2006, 07:27 AM
If my wife fell off the front of the boat and cracked some ribs im sure our boating days would probably be over!!!!!!!!! You know woman, you were probably going to fast, stopped to quick, turned abruptly,etc. Sorry to hear about your wife hope she,s ok.

MRSDRMCAT
07-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Chris, Sorry to hear about your wife. That is terrible and scary! I feel the SAME way....man last Friday I was soooooo pissed off because like you it was WINDY and these damn fools just hang out right in the middle of the docks giving you barley any room to pick up or drop off! I hope your wife heals quickly!! Tell her I said Hi and hope see is doing better with each passing day!!

Not So Fast
07-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Everything you guys are saying is SO TRUE but it ain't gonna change. They need a ranger down there all the time with a bullhorn to bark commands. I've even gone so far as to talk to the H.N.I.C of Arizona State parks (in Phoenix)and also the park manager of Windsor about changing the angle or direction of the slips so that you dont have people backing out into the approach of boats going on thier trailer (DOES STUPID LAYOUT come too mind) which I'm sure we have all had to abort our approach because some idiot does not look behind him before backing out which causes a whole chain reaction of events. I did this about two years ago and you see how far it went, and they both AGREED wholeheartedly that I was right. Comes down to $$$$$ they said, so we'll have to live with it. If its crowded at all, I use the over flow then you only have to enter the DANGER ZONE one time. Peace, NSF

Music to my Ears
07-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and sentiments, I really appreciate it. I'm heading for a gig and won't be back online untill this evening so I can't respond for awhile. I do have the number and address for the Regional Manager of Arizona State Parks. I'm sure you are right, NSF, that it will be near impossible to get change, but I feel like I need to at least try. Maybe I can share some of these feelings here with him as well. Sometimes the thoughts and actions of many people can make positive change. We'll see. :)

Ziggy
07-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Common sense and common courtesy go right out the window at the ramps.
Its really sad that people have to be that way, we all have expensive pride and joys we're trying to protect(boats and babes) so lets work together folks instead of fighting one another....sheesh :rolleyes: :)
The logical resolutions always seem to get pushed aside... :crossx:

Not So Fast
07-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and sentiments, I really appreciate it. I'm heading for a gig and won't be back online untill this evening so I can't respond for awhile. I do have the number and address for the Regional Manager of Arizona State Parks. I'm sure you are right, NSF, that it will be near impossible to get change, but I feel like I need to at least try. Maybe I can share some of these feelings here with him as well. Sometimes the thoughts and actions of many people can make positive change. We'll see. :)
Here you go, Regional Manager AZ state parks-Rick Knotts 928-855-7852
1801 Highway 95, Lake Havasu, AZ. 86406 E-mail, (rknotts@pr.state.az.us.)
Windsor Manager, Brian Pendley, Lake Havasu State Park, 699 London Bridge Rd, Lake Havasu,AZ.86403 928-855-9394 Email, (bpendley@pr.state.az.us)
Hope this helps, maybe if we all wrote ???????????? NSF

OCMerrill
07-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Man that sucks. My wife missed the dock hopping out at Fox's on the strip. Very rough and busy. She was bruised but OK. I hope your wife heals up fast!
Happening more and more. Common courtesy...not like the river used to be.
About 3 weeks ago we were in parker for a week. Trying to get gas at Riverland two roll bar boats just tied up and camped out in front of the pumps visiting. I asked nicley if one could pull back down the dock so I can fuel up. The dickhead said no. WTF!
I am with my wife and two small kids in my Lavey. There are about 20 of these asses standing there.
SECURITY IN NUMBERS is their only hope hope for toughness.
Needless to say we left and made it to Echo and bought gas but it gets back to the same common courtesy in which is shrinking.

atomickitn
07-12-2006, 08:42 AM
well maybe someone will have politly removed there plug as they stood there hanging out being dick heads?? :crossx:

Not So Fast
07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Here is a real simple solution, Windsor Launch ramp imposes a 1 year fee, say 2 dollars to the normal launch fee, say from Jan 07 thru dec 07, all the money collected would be used from this fund to fix the docks,add loading-unloading docks, say maybe 3-5 of them, dredge the WEEDS !! ,then you could utilize the whole bay area for the purpose of launching and retriving.
They could have a special drop box in the rangers office to deposit the 2 dollars, so you wouldn't have any misuse of funds !!
Sounds good to me Huffer but here is the kicker, Army Corp of Engineers has to get involved before they can touch anything in the water such as dregeing (sp?) or so I understand. I also found out why the wall on the slip side of the ramp angles in about 5 feet (we've all probably thought there was enough room to put the boat in there, at least at the top only to realize the wall creeps in on you at the waters edge) Here you go on that one, the engineer designed it that way to keep the ramp from slipping into the water :confused: I've been told the ramp is over 12 inches of concrete with re-bar up the ying yang, truth or fiction I dont know but thats what I've been told. NSF

STV_Keith
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
My question to all of you is - wouldn't we be better served if the end tie on the North ramp was painted yellow or marked clearly as a loading/unloading spot only.
Man, sorry to hear about your wifes' fall. Tell her we all hope she feels better quick.
In regards to that end tie on the North ramp, I personally have to use that space myself. I am normally loading/unloading my 30' boat by myself, and that's the only spot where you can tie up and leave a 30 footer there. All the slips are 20' long max. Even my STV at 19' hangs out of the slips.
Then again, I can usually tie up, go get the truck, load the boat and be in the wipe-down lane faster than most CREWS can unload one boat. Sheesh.

Magic34
07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
i totaly agree the f..ock wads that seem to take up the area right in front of the ramps and the docks ....waiting for there trailer that never seems to come fast enough......everybody on my boat screams out loud to move there f.n stuff and wait out at the buoys.....there seems to be a lack of courtesy...for loading and un loading boats....stupid people are soo rude .i truly think that if your boat is not broke down or you are done loading get the f out of the way soo others can do the same in a timely matter .... :cool: :crossx: oh ask mrs racer on this matter and see her response..?
Exactly. It drives me insane when people drop someone off and wait just 20 yards off the dock.
I always go out past the no wake bouys, but everytime I try to go in to the ramp or dock to pickup/drop off someone, I have to dodge a ton of boats just floating waiting for their truck and trailer.
Sad thing is, they know they are in the way when I or anyone else comes in, but they dont give a damn.

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
At Katherines, Matt use to drop me off at the dock in the middle of the ramp (so I can go get the trailer)they sooooooooo need to get rid of that thing.......People just camp out there, he pulls up and I'm ready to jump from the bow, and no one will move...just people sitting there!?!?!
Now he takes me to the slips and I just walk up that way......by the resturant and the market......... :rollside:

atomickitn
07-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Exactly. It drives me insane when people drop someone off and wait just 20 yards off the dock.
I always go out past the no wake bouys, but everytime I try to go in to the ramp or dock to pickup/drop off someone, I have to dodge a ton of boats just floating waiting for their truck and trailer.
Sad thing is, they know they are in the way when I or anyone else comes in, but they dont give a damn.
yep makes me soooooo mad now i just push my way in and people are like hay what do you think you are doing>>>as i yell back this is not a f'n parking lot move your f'ing boat to the bouy line and have some f'ng respect...idiot...oh you should hear mrs racer277....i like having her on board..she lets them have it......you go girl :cool:

SoCalOffshore
07-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Also people just floating around near were people are launching and retrieving their boats. Why do so many lake lice launch at the boat launch's? They have their own launch ramp. :220v:

Beer-30
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM
At Mohave (Katherines), on busy days, I noticed they have a few volunteers out there walking the line to the ramp. They ask the next person at the stop line if they are all ready to drop in. We have always loaded the ice chests and people when we are a few vehs back from launch time. Then, as either I or the wife pull up to the ramp, we are 100% ready to float. It is a matter of getting the boat to the water and pulling back out to park.
At Windsor we always do this right there by the bathrooms on the south side. There is a yellow zone there for loading. Same routine, boat is unhooked and peeps/ice chests are inside.
Not that the heavy SOB would slide, but with the stepped-bottom, I have not fear of it sliding off on to the ramp. I can just unhook and back in.
If it has been a few months since boat has ran, I will always run it with the hose to make sure it is tip-top prior to driving to the lake. Plus, it gets the seapump wet with forced water.
Regardless, it is just plain respectable to take minimal time at the ramp. Drives my wife nuts to see people doing the whole Marx Brothers routine, taking up a spot (or two!) on the ramp.

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 11:12 AM
At Mohave (Katherines), on busy days, I noticed they have a few volunteers out there walking the line to the ramp. They ask the next person at the stop line if they are all ready to drop in. We have always loaded the ice chests and people when we are a few vehs back from launch time. Then, as either I or the wife pull up to the ramp, we are 100% ready to float. It is a matter of getting the boat to the water and pulling back out to park.
At Windsor we always do this right there by the bathrooms on the south side. There is a yellow zone there for loading. Same routine, boat is unhooked and peeps/ice chests are inside.
Not that the heavy SOB would slide, but with the stepped-bottom, I have not fear of it sliding off on to the ramp. I can just unhook and back in.
If it has been a few months since boat has ran, I will always run it with the hose to make sure it is tip-top prior to driving to the lake. Plus, it gets the seapump wet with forced water.
Regardless, it is just plain respectable to take minimal time at the ramp. Drives my wife nuts to see people doing the whole Marx Brothers routine, taking up a spot (or two!) on the ramp.
We load up at the trailer, then drive out to launch, (if the line is up to the trailer entrance, then that's half an hour wait........)
I drop the boat and I drive back, it probably takes us 5 minutes, tops....
Same for picking up. (I've gotten quite good at backing down the ramp):D

OCMerrill
07-12-2006, 01:00 PM
It’s the Lake Lice and the Green Novice Boater that dramatically slow down the ramps. This in turn backs up the docks as peeps wait.
They just have to dick around, who's going to hold this one, this one won't start, opps I forgot my vest.... Where’s the key, I forgot the cooler, on and on.
Many others and we can be in the water in 3 min or less.
If the ramps went faster the boat traffic waiting would be less. The ramps are slower than ever. Just check-time some of these Asses with your watch. It's amazing. 10-15 min per lane easy.
They should have instructions...
Have family, friends, and stuff loaded and ready before you are next to the ramp. Boat goes in, as soon as the fenders are 90% covered Driver jump out and unclip the boat from the winch, boat driver drops the drive about 80%, fires the motor, high idle for 30 sec., neutral, Launching driver...Burry the fenders, boat into reverse, Out.
All the f'n around amazes me. It causes the traffic to back up quick.

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I was up at Silverwood one time on my sea doo (many years ago) and there was this truck, parked sideways on the ramp, the guys were having lunch in the tailgate of the truck!?
:crossx:
While I was launching/picking up my sea doo!?!?
You're right, it's the inexperienced boaters and the holidays seem to bring them out. I was telling Kelly, if you are going out on the holidays, you just need to factor in the assholes, cause there will be a lot more of them out there.
Folks who haven't had their boat/jet ski in the water for years..........decide to come that weekend/holiday and play. :rolleyes:

ThongMagnet
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
It usually seems to be the guys looking for a Jump start that cause the back-ups.
My suggestion would be a water hose area, where you hook up and start the boat prior to actually launching the boat. Maybe even a safety inspection by the park ranger. If the boat does not start, it does not launch.

GottaJet
07-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Its really sad that people have to be that way, we all have expensive pride and joys we're trying to protect(boats and babes) so lets work together folks instead of fighting one another....sheesh :rolleyes: :)
The logical resolutions always seem to get pushed aside... :crossx:
I used to be the worst impatient prick but have found as of late that the above approach seems to be more effective. Alot of times an offer to help or even a tip or two go along way.. GJ :p

Mr.Havasu
07-12-2006, 04:30 PM
So sorry to hear about Dawn's accident. Hopefully she will heal fast. I Hate the North ramp, they have the docks located in the way of the boats launching. We always try to use the south ramp, way less drama (unless you fall off the end of the pavement) Let me know if I can do anything to help.

chub
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Aren't the ramps at windsors plastic? If they were non skid would this have happened? Just a thought. I walked onto that dock hit a wet spot and whamo. Docks last long made from plastic but are slippery as whale snot on an ice flow.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Well....
Same exact thing here.... :220v:
4th weekend.....Wind blowing and some guy wants to help at the South Windsor dock.... :rolleyes:
Had to go to one of the fingers as well as docks were full..... :cry:
My wife's sitting on the bow ready to scoot off on to the dock....
This guy grabs her hand and pulls her off the starboard side of the boat....right into the water.... :mad:
But not before her left heel catches the bow rail and she hyper-extends her left knee....THEN....falls into the water !!!!! :mad:
I got her a brace in Havasu and she was a trooper for the rest of the holiday....
Didn't feel like going to the hospital then as we knew we'd have to back here... :)
She has gone in to have it checked and they took film....Waiting to hear back... :idea:
Hopefully not ACL or MCL damage.... :mad:
FOCK!....... :mad:
CJG
:argue:

shueman
07-12-2006, 04:44 PM
On busy days, consider launching the boat, then parking the rig/trailer down at Windsor Beach. Much easier to pickup/drop-off than trying to manuever into the docks and back out.
Maybe take the point between the ramps and add a loading/unloading dock that goes out into the lake...?? How about making it a sandy beach, like Site 6, where you can pull up and load/unload....??
Just some thoughts....all it takes is money....

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Aren't the ramps at windsors plastic? If they were non skid would this have happened? Just a thought. I walked onto that dock hit a wet spot and whamo. Docks last long made from plastic but are slippery as whale snot on an ice flow.
Yeah!...I've slid across those plastic docks on to my butt a few times...
The there is the steel poles on the ends with the BIG ugly steel brackets.... :idea:
CJG
:yuk:

chub
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Well....
Same exact thing here.... :220v:
4th weekend.....Wind blowing and some guy wants to help at the South Windsor dock.... :rolleyes:
Had to go to one of the fingers as well as docks were full..... :cry:
My wife's sitting on the bow ready to scoot off on to the dock....
This guy grabs her hand and pulls her off the starboard side of the boat....right into the water.... :mad:
But not before her left heel catches the bow rail and she hyper-extends her left knee....THEN....falls into the water !!!!! :mad:
I got her a brace in Havasu and she was a trooper for the rest of the holiday....
Didn't feel like going to the hospital then as we knew we'd have to back here... :)
She has gone in to have it checked and they took film....Waiting to hear back... :idea:
Hopefully not ACL or MCL damage.... :mad:
FOCK!....... :mad:
CJG
:argue:
Who did this?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Who did this?
Ugh!!…Some good samaritan….!!!!
Hey...I havn't seen you at Moabi for a while ?
Later,
CJG
:)

Magic34
07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
It usually seems to be the guys looking for a Jump start that cause the back-ups.
My suggestion would be a water hose area, where you hook up and start the boat prior to actually launching the boat. Maybe even a safety inspection by the park ranger. If the boat does not start, it does not launch.
That would take just as long. The best deal is the ranger that is directing traffic tells someone to move out within a few minutes if the boat isn't starting and let them get back in line.
I was having a very stupid issue last time in Havasu, and it was an electrical thing. Anyways, I was on the trailer in the water trying to get it started and after about 4 minutes, I pulle dit out and went to the back of the line. No one told me to do so, but I didn't want to be "that guy."
Once I got back into the water, boat fired right up and away we went.

77charger
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Thats why i miss the big weekends at havasu.
OH wait i dont miss them after waiting to launch,retrieve boat,crowds,etc.
And yes a loading offloading zone would be nice at all ramps and a sign that says NO STUPID PEOPLE.

chub
07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Ugh!!…Some good samaritan….!!!!
Hey...I havn't seen you at Moabi for a while ?
Later,
CJG
:)
Was there last weekend. WORK!!!!!!!!!!