PDA

View Full Version : Syd Barrett, Founder of Pink Floyd, Dies at 60

CARLSON-JET
07-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Shine on Brother!!

missspent
07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
I was a rock jock, Program Director and Consultant to some big radio stations from the early 70's and into the early 90's. Came across him and the band more than once in my life. Best show I ever saw was in the Sports Arena in San Diego...they made the stage levitate...or maybe it was me who did it. Those were the days...Shine On
www.lakehavasucityinformation.com

Craig
07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
That's sad :( Do a search on Google for Syd Barrett interviews and you'll get some strange stuff. I always thought it was cool Roger Waters sort of dedicated Wish You Were Here to Syd last summer at the Live 8 concert.
I always wondered how far they would have gotten if they hadn't booted Syd out of the band and replaced him with David Gilmour? Granted Waters did most of the writing, but you could really see Syds style in early Floyd.

djunkie
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
That's sad :( Do a search on Google for Syd Barrett interviews and you'll get some strange stuff. I always thought it was cool Roger Waters sort of dedicated Wish You Were Here to Syd last summer at the Live 8 concert.
I always wondered how far they would have gotten if they hadn't booted Syd out of the band and replaced him with David Gilmour? Granted Waters did most of the writing, but you could really see Syds style in early Floyd.
I don't think he was really booted out. They let him go because of mental health issues. In fact Syd was still payed royalties for all of Pink Floyds work up until the day he died. Props to the band for that.

Craig
07-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't think he was really booted out. They let him go because of mental health issues. In fact Syd was still payed royalties for all of Pink Floyds work up until the day he died. Props to the band for that.
If you read Nick Mason's "Inside Out", the band was getting tired of Syds antics. They hired Gilmour to play along side of him. Sometimes Syd would just stand there catatonic the whole show. Finally one evening on the way to a show, they all said, "Do we have to pick Syd up tonight?" And they didn't. I'm sure he was paid royalties, and they all didn't feel 100% doing what they did and how they did it, but he was out of the band, granted it was because of mental issues. But if it were me, I'd have felt like I was kick out.

djunkie
07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
If you read Nick Mason's "Inside Out", the band was getting tired of Syds antics. They hired Gilmour to play along side of him. Sometimes Syd would just stand there catatonic the whole show. Finally one evening on the way to a show, they all said, "Do we have to pick Syd up tonight?" And they didn't. I'm sure he was paid royalties, and they all didn't feel 100% doing what they did and how they did it, but he was out of the band, granted it was because of mental issues. But if it were me, I'd have felt like I was kick out.
I don't know the whole story. All I know is what I heard on the radio last night which is what I stated. I'm sure they probably didn't want to deal with him anymore but I don't think they held it against him.

Craig
07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
In the book, they have a picture of Syd when he wandered into the studio when they were recording Wish You Were Here (I think) Man, nobody recognized him :eek: Big gut and bald head, quite a change! I bought Syd's album Opal, makes Pink Floyd stuff seem "normal"!