PDA

View Full Version : Trailer ?? for cat owners

1manshow
07-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I have a new deck boat and i am having problems getting the boat on the trailer. I noticed that the boards are so tight on the inside of the hull that it is impossible to drive the boat on the trailer. I need to walk the boat on the trailer every time because there is no room for error(major pain in the ass) When i talked to the dealer they said they have the trailers made like this so the boats don't sit on the trailer crooked. I thought there would be aleast a inch in between the board and the hull. Does anybody else on the boards here have or had this problem?? 1manshow

Kilrtoy
07-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I have twins and it is fairly easy as long as one of my motors DOES NOT DIE.... if it does I get sideways...
Now the other day i tried to put a single engine cat on and had serious issues, I looked really stupid doing it...
It takes time...and lots of practice

Phat Matt
07-12-2006, 12:11 PM
My boat is the easiest boat I have ever trailered. It goes on straight everytime. I can drive it, walk it pull it, it doesn't matter.

OutCole'd
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I have a new deck boat and i am having problems getting the boat on the trailer. I noticed that the boards are so tight on the inside of the hull that it is impossible to drive the boat on the trailer. I need to walk the boat on the trailer every time because there is no room for error(major pain in the ass) When i talked to the dealer they said they have the trailers made like this so the boats don't sit on the trailer crooked. I thought there would be aleast a inch in between the board and the hull. Does anybody else on the boards here have or had this problem?? 1manshow
I have a Deck also and it is SUPER easy to put on the trailer. Just get it close and it basically puts itself on. Not sure what you have going on. You might want to mention the brand to see if other owners of the same boat have the same problem.

Not So Fast
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I have a new deck boat and i am having problems getting the boat on the trailer. I noticed that the boards are so tight on the inside of the hull that it is impossible to drive the boat on the trailer. I need to walk the boat on the trailer every time because there is no room for error. When i talked to the dealer they said they have the trailers made like this so the boats don't sit on the trailer crooked. I thought there would be aleast a inch in between the board and the hull. Does anybody else on the boards here have or had this problem?? 1manshow
Joe, my boat is a tight fit also, maybe an inch on both sides for a total of two inches, but it shouldnt be that tight. Just dont accept that answer, period. Who is it, Extreme? I'm sure Keith would help you out, no? NSF (Bobby)

DCBDaytona
07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
True that. Twins make it easier, but in reality it is a hit or miss deal with tunnels. With a single it's all or nothing. Do not hesitate and you'll be fine.

MR HARLEY
07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Now the other day i tried to put a single engine cat on and had serious issues, I looked really stupid doing it...
:idea: :D

Daytona100
07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Its a hit and miss. Make sure the trailor is nice and deep and someone is in front guiding you. And remember slow and easy works.

my21advantage
07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Ummmm, I wonder who's boat he was driving??? :D

Kilrtoy
07-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Did I say It hit the prop on th etrailer and wacked the drive in the rocks... :boxed:

RiverDave
07-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm surprised there would be that tight of a fit, but on the flipside, it's nice to know that once it's on the trailer it's not bouncing around side to side etc.. A tight fit might be a good thing? So long as it's not actually bending the supports that are holding the bunks to fit in the tunnel.
RD

Hardly Satisfied
07-12-2006, 12:17 PM
mine goes on easy

MR HARLEY
07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Did I say It hit the prop on th etrailer and wacked the drive in the rocks... :boxed:
Dam rocks get in the way sometime. :)
Ummmm, I wonder who's boat he was driving???
Its still a big mystery at this point. :)

Kilrtoy
07-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Dam rocks get in the way sometime. :)
then when i was done i ran over some cardboard boxes, that were floating around..... Dont know where they came from

my21advantage
07-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I thought you knew how to drive everything... :crossx:

Kilrtoy
07-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I thought you knew how to drive everything... :crossx:
I do but I learned a new lesson about the set up, Not in gear , No steering...
:220v: , means I go crooked on trailer

my21advantage
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
:220v: , means I go crooked on trailer
Nice

MR HARLEY
07-12-2006, 12:26 PM
then when i was done i ran over some cardboard boxes, that were floating around..... Dont know where they came from
Could those be the boxes I got fired for on my day off? :idea:
ROFL :D

Buster
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Mine goes on no problem. Even if I am a little misaligned it corrects itself and drops straight on the bunks. As everybody has said, it should not be that tight or that much of a problem to put a cat on the trailer.

WET HULL
07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I leave the trailer a little more shallow so that I have more of the boards sticking out. Guide it on and then my driver reverses the trailer under it and wa la, all done.

1manshow
07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
I have twins and it is fairly easy as long as one of my motors DOES NOT DIE.... if it does I get sideways...
It takes time...and lots of practice
Sounds just like me. I could see all eye's where on me and i was thinking to myself good thing this was not 4th of july weekend at site six.

Dave C
07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Piece of cake.... I just put the trailer in deep and drive it on slowly. It centers itself.

caroftheweek
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
i leave 1-2 feet of the boards out of the water and just drive it on. the center sponson keeps it straight. hook it up and wife pulls me out. no one gets out of the car or the boat. way better than the old v-bottom.

bohica
07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Wife always seems to get it right the very first try. :rollside:

framer1
07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Mined has about an inch on each side, it's a bitch to hit it right on. If I have someone stand in the middle of the boat and tell me to go left or right it makes it easier for me. It seems from the side I always get off center.

Not So Fast
07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm having the same problem. I have maybe 3/8" of tolerance on either side of my bunks. I also have a weird setup, I have flat bunks and then I have upright bunks on the outside edges. I'm not kidding, maybe 3/8" on either side between the upright bunks and the inside edges of sponsons. I've already been through two sets of upright bunks in a year because if I don't hit it perfect, the boat sits on the upright bunks and breaks them off from the mounts. I called Warlock last week and they said it was a trailer manufacturing issue, that my tolerance was way too tight. Hopefully, we'll get it resolved during the offseason.
Is it a Hoss trailer or Zieman? My Flotilla was like that and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get it on right, always driving over the side rails, so I had them moved to the inside as a guide for the sponsons and wa-la, easy to load. PM if you want details, it defintely is worth it. Empty your PM's :D NSF

shadow
07-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Mined has about an inch on each side, it's a bitch to hit it right on. If I have someone stand in the middle of the boat and tell me to go left or right it makes it easier for me. It seems from the side I always get off center.
Is that why you are selling your boat?Cause you need 2 people to put it on the trailer. :)

framer1
07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Is that why you are selling your boat?Cause you need 2 people to put it on the trailer. :)
Yes :) Hope I can make it out this weekend....Are you still going? Are you bringing your boat or driving that new little car out? They closed the north shore at Naci so it's hard to find a space for my trailer on the north parking lot.

Mr.Havasu
07-12-2006, 04:49 PM
We were having a hard time loading our cat as well.
We finally figured out that the trailer needed to be way deeper than we were putting it.
Next time you launch the boat as soon as it is floating on it's own and you can drive the boat off.... Have the tow vehicle driver get out and make a note as to how much of the bunks are still out of the water. (With mine it's about 2 feet of bunks showing) Then when you retrieve the boat back the tow vehicle down and leave the same amount of bunks showing and I'll bet you drive it right on with no problems. This worked for us and we have not had a problem since (It used to be quite entertaining to watch us before :rollside: ) Hope this helps.

Partycattin
07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Mine goes on pretty easy as long as I don't sink the trailer too deep. Or we're at site 6. I think the "movie" crowd puts out a voodoo hex that makes it difficult.

havaduner
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I never have a problem getting mine on the trailer, my wife trailers the boat!

shadow
07-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Yes :) Hope I can make it out this weekend....Are you still going? Are you bringing your boat or driving that new little car out? They closed the north shore at Naci so it's hard to find a space for my trailer on the north parking lot.
Yep we will be out Late Thursday night,probablly around midnight.No boat this trip,driving the little car.Hope all my beer and Goose fits. :)

John.
07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
ours fits on pretty easily. i think it's easier than when we had a V.

ultra27jay
07-12-2006, 08:20 PM
im with u ultrajohn my shadow is the first cat i owened and it the easest to put on the trailer....no problem.... :boxed:

revpuffdaddy
07-12-2006, 08:33 PM
My wife puts it on the first time...everytime. Always gets a standing ovation at the Havasu Springs launch ramp. (Conquest Top Cat II, Competitive Trailer)

07-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Put a decal or tape on the back window of your tow vehicle where its in
line where you sit in the boat should go right on

kanedog
07-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I align better the slower I go. I hated running it up on the carpet and digging the sponson deep into the wood. I slowed down(really slow)and the wife sometimes stands at the trailer and guides me on. kinda like training wheels but it works for us.
I was quite a spectacle for a few times, it seemed like the when I missed and had to back up, the more I fu&%^d up and the mistakes grew exponentially. It was not at site 6 , thank my lucky stars