PDA

View Full Version : whatever happened to the thread about...

Essex29
07-12-2006, 09:34 PM
The Cobra that flipped last month? It was a 29 Viper :argue:

Kilrtoy
07-12-2006, 10:46 PM
I missed that one, never even heard about it or read about it in the paper...

SHOTKALLIN
07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah i sort of recall reading it fliping end over end...or something like that. Funny how nobody posted an update. Maybe they did and it was deleted?

Drift
07-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Do you mean the "Honeyman" Skater rolling @ 40 mph :220v: when he was "cut off" by a Ski boat :rolleyes: :yuk: Then was seen being helped by a guy that was in a STOLEN Cigarette "Steamin Rice" :mad: :mad: :mad: ?

riverbound
07-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Is the 29 viper. the mod VP boat??

Hardly Satisfied
07-13-2006, 01:47 AM
didn't see that one

purrfecttremor
07-13-2006, 03:18 AM
Someone told Me about that in the channel about that a few weeks ago about that BUT NEVER READ ABOUT IT ANYWHERE.

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 04:09 AM
I remember reading about it on here but the thread seems to have died. I dont remember seeing anything on the news either. Very strange. :mad:

ViB
07-13-2006, 05:50 AM
I believe that someone on hear was a friend of the owner. He apparently had a Teague 900 in the boat....
I'd like to know what happened as well, that boat seems like is has a lot of promise.

shadow
07-13-2006, 05:57 AM
I believe that someone on hear was a friend of the owner. He apparently had a Teague 900 in the boat....
I'd like to know what happened as well, that boat seems like is has a lot of promise.
That thread was at least a month ago.Sounded like it was a mix of HP and too
little seat time.I could be wrong but it was a brand new boat with big HP.
Father son and dog in the boat,flipped down by Havasu Palms at a high rate of speed.All 3 made it out uninjured.

yeah,right
07-13-2006, 06:16 AM
I think this is the thread. http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116748
I wonder what ever happened to the boat.

havaduner
07-13-2006, 06:31 AM
The boat rolled, not flipped end over end. THe boat received little physical damage. Motor was pickled and has since been refired. Hull has mostly cosmetic damage, and is being repaired. New interior and electronics going in, should be back on the water by first of August.
Owner is a friend of mine, he, his son and the dog are fine.

Essex29
07-13-2006, 06:56 AM
The boat rolled, not flipped end over end. THe boat received little physical damage. Motor was pickled and has since been refired. Hull has mostly cosmetic damage, and is being repaired. New interior and electronics going in, should be back on the water by first of August.
Owner is a friend of mine, he, his son and the dog are fine.
Great news!

Todd969
07-13-2006, 07:07 AM
I also know the owner. He's an experienced driver and it was a freak accident. The boat hit a wake and pitched sideways then simply rolled over.
Don't make assumptions on his ability or the boats handling. This type of deal could happen to anyone of us.

DCBDaytona
07-13-2006, 07:11 AM
I also know the owner. He's an experienced driver and it was a freak accident. The boat hit a wake and pitched sideways then simply rolled over.
Don't make assumptions on his ability or the boats handling. This type of deal could happen to anyone of us.
How can a boat that large hit a wake and pitch sideways? I'm not doubting his ability at all, but I am doubting the boat's handling. The CG of those larger sport tunnel boats has always been an issue.
Also...Given that the bottom/hull is so new to the market it also poises doubt.

Steamin' Rice
07-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Do you mean the "Honeyman" Skater rolling @ 40 mph :220v: when he was "cut off" by a Ski boat :rolleyes: :yuk: Then was seen being helped by a guy that was in a STOLEN Cigarette "Steamin Rice" :mad: :mad: :mad: ?
Huh???
Did you mean Rice Hauler???????

Todd969
07-13-2006, 07:26 AM
How can a boat that large hit a wake and pitch sideways? I'm not doubting his ability at all, but I am doubting the boat's handling. The CG of those larger sport tunnel boats has always been an issue.
Agreed, that hull is a strange one. I just don't like people who don't even know this guy to make judgements. His previous Cobra 270 was also big HP and he didn't have any issues or accidents with it. As I stated, it was a freak thing.

Throttle
07-13-2006, 07:27 AM
As for the handling of this boat, it is a hull like no other, it just takes time to get used to. This was an unfortunate freak incident and thankfully our friends were all ok!

Essex29
07-13-2006, 07:28 AM
For the record, I was just curious.....
<------------not really a pot stirrer :)

DCBDaytona
07-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Agreed, that hull is a strange one. I just don't like people who don't even know this guy to make judgements. His previous Cobra 270 was also big HP and he didn't have any issues or accidents with it. As I stated, it was a freak thing.
Ok. Agreed, it most likely was a freak accident and I'm glad everyone is okay!
I'm curious about sport tunnels though....Why is it that many Co's have shied away from the larger ones? Stoker made some 26 footers then it went extinct...I think Cheetah is making a 24'er????

Throttle
07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
For the record, I was just curious.....
<------------not really a pot stirrer :)
thanks for caring enough to ask and not assume...

Jyruiz
07-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Wow, glad there were no serious injuries.

shadow
07-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Easy Todd, :) Nobodys making assumptions.we are only speculating on the (2 known facts) 900HP and a new boat/new hull design.
We talked about this before,you told me the story.I'm more curious as to why
a 29Ft boat would just "roll" over when hitting a wake.
Freak accident or something or could this happen again with this boat?
Glad everyone came out alive and ok.

Riveratz
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
He is my Neighbor at Havasu landing and he is no where near a Novice when it comes to boats or handling. It was just a freak accident and I am happy they are all ok.

ChumpChange
07-13-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm more curious as to why
a 29Ft boat would just "roll" over when hitting a wake.
Freak accident or something or could this happen again with this boat?
Glad everyone came out alive and ok.
That's what I'm wondering as well. As soon as mine is gone, I'm in the market for something bigger. Am I necessarily looking into this boat? Not really as I'm not a fan but how does a boat like this roll?
Everybody gave Honeyman a hard time rolling his Skater last year, why is this one so hush hush. Most Cobra owners who usually jump in any thread with the mention of Cobra are staying out of here and they are the ones most likely talking to the people at the Cobra shop.

Todd969
07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Easy Todd, :) Nobodys making assumptions.we are only speculating on the (2 known facts) 900HP and a new boat/new hull design.
We talked about this before,you told me the story.
Yes sir, not looking for a headlock today. Just protecting a friends abilities and boating experience.

atomickitn
07-13-2006, 11:44 AM
his brother or something like that built on of our 27'....at the same time ...from what i heard from him is that..he the driver was going fast and made an abrupt turn to avoid somthing..not sure what but at that speeds you just dont turn real fast......

shadow
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
He is my Neighbor at Havasu landing and he is no where near a Novice when it comes to boats or handling. It was just a freak accident and I am happy they are all ok.
Nobody is doubting your friends skills and denying that he is nowhere near a novice.I as well as everyone else i'm sure are happy that they were all ok.
Now that we have that squared away can we get a definition of "Freak Accident"
Did a sea serpent jump up and get tangled in the drive,a sunami?
Freak accident doen't explain much.

shadow
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks Bobby,atleast thats explains something. :)

Todd969
07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
How's broke gimbel?

riverbound
07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Just out of curiousity...how much seat time did he have in the boat (or a mod VP) Just because you have tons of experience driving V-hulls doesnt mean one can just jump in a Mod V with a ton of power and drop the sticks.

DCBDaytona
07-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Just out of curiousity...how much seat time did he have in the boat (or a mod VP) Just because you have tons of experience driving V-hulls doesnt mean one can just jump in a Mod V with a ton of power and drop the sticks.
That's my point. A 29 foot Mod VP with a high CG...That's got to be a ebast to drive.

havaduner
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Riverbound, you hit it on the head. The driver has plenty of time in a higher HP boat (v bottom) He made a BIG leap in HP, ( about 350-400hp) and had 4 days of seat time in this particular boat. At the time, he was running close to 100 MPH when things began to go bad. Based on HIS story, he got the boat WAY out of shape, and most likely over compensated causing the boat to roll. He is a friend of mine, and I told him before and since, you just dont get in a fast boat and go just because it can.
As for the boat, I 've been in it, as well running along side at 90+ in different water conditions. The boat does'nt have an handling quircks or anything like that. This was unfortunately nothing more than driver error.
As for why he hasnt been on here to talk about it, trust me, when you have something like this happen, and your family is involved, even though everyone is OK, it is not something you like to talk about. I know, I've been there.

havaduner
07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
That's what I'm wondering as well. As soon as mine is gone, I'm in the market for something bigger. Am I necessarily looking into this boat? Not really as I'm not a fan but how does a boat like this roll?
Everybody gave Honeyman a hard time rolling his Skater last year, why is this one so hush hush. Most Cobra owners who usually jump in any thread with the mention of Cobra are staying out of here and they are the ones most likely talking to the people at the Cobra shop.
Part of the reason it has been hush hush, was at the owner/driver's request. He was afraid people would start to question the manufacture of the boat rather than his abilities.
Trust me, I am a huge fan of Cobra, as I am on my third one. The 29 Viper has a TON of test hours on it, and I dont believe they would release a boat if there where any handling issues, especially one with this horsepower. If they did, no way would I stand up for them in ANY way.

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
As for the handling of this boat, it is a hull like no other, it just takes time to get used to. This was an unfortunate freak incident and thankfully our friends were all ok!
Like No other mod VP boat? Art Carlson even designed something "similar" (although I believe it does work differently) for Hallett not to long back, that they are still making. AC 260 if memory serves
Stoker, Eliminator, Cheetah, and many others have made this type of boat before. ;) :) (sorry I had to say it)
Incidentally I've heard nothing but GREAT things about the new Cobra although I've never been in one in the water. (Think I walked through one at the boatshow, but can't remember) I think it's a bitchen boat, and definately one that's going to be setting some standards in the future. Freak Accidents do happen sometimes.
RD

AirtimeLavey
07-13-2006, 12:27 PM
:2purples: Sounds like a scary ride. Glad they all came away ok. :cool:

Phat Matt
07-13-2006, 12:31 PM
I spoke to the driver in Steamboat last month. Quite a crazy story and amazing that his son and dog were fine. I told him I couldn't believe he was standing here telling me this story. Very lucky guy!

ChumpChange
07-13-2006, 12:35 PM
He was afraid people would start to question the manufacture of the boat rather than his abilities. .
Well everybody who posted has said what a great boater he is with numerous driving hours so what were we supposed to think other than that.

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Glad to hear everyone in the boat was safe and not hurt.

Drift
07-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Huh???
Did you mean Rice Hauler???????
That's what I meant. Sorry.... Totally different story. :hammerhea :confused:

Riveratz
07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Nobody is doubting your friends skills and denying that he is nowhere near a novice.I as well as everyone else i'm sure are happy that they were all ok.
Now that we have that squared away can we get a definition of "Freak Accident"
Did a sea serpent jump up and get tangled in the drive,a sunami?
Freak accident doen't explain much.
I gotcha... I don't know much about the new modified V but just wanted to clear up that he is a good guy and not an Idiot like we see out there way to often.
Im outta this one for now....

havaduner
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Well everybody who posted has said what a great boater he is with numerous driving hours so what were we supposed to think other than that.
Well, re-read my previous post. The owner is a great guy, I hope we are friends for a long time. 4 days seat time, in a new boat, with basically twice the HP as previous still, in my book is a novice dirver. And I have told him that as well. In fact, IMO we should all consider ourselves novice drivers. Too much bravery can get you hurt.

Riveratz
07-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, re-read my previous post. The owner is a great guy, I hope we are friends for a long time. 4 days seat time, in a new boat, with basically twice the HP as previous still, in my book is a novice dirver. And I have told him that as well. In fact, IMO we should all consider ourselves novice drivers. Too much bravery can get you hurt.
Actually having thought about it some more - Good post.

riverbound
07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Riverbound, you hit it on the head. The driver has plenty of time in a higher HP boat (v bottom) He made a BIG leap in HP, ( about 350-400hp) and had 4 days of seat time in this particular boat. At the time, he was running close to 100 MPH when things began to go bad. Based on HIS story, he got the boat WAY out of shape, and most likely over compensated causing the boat to roll. He is a friend of mine, and I told him before and since, you just dont get in a fast boat and go just because it can.
As for the boat, I 've been in it, as well running along side at 90+ in different water conditions. The boat does'nt have an handling quircks or anything like that. This was unfortunately nothing more than driver error.
As for why he hasnt been on here to talk about it, trust me, when you have something like this happen, and your family is involved, even though everyone is OK, it is not something you like to talk about. I know, I've been there.
I could understand him not wanting to talk about it, scarey incident indeed. That is one of the problems with these boats, once things start going bad, they tend to go bad very quick :( Again Glad to hear he is OK.
Again I am not here to point any fingers or start anything. I just remember spending a good ammount of time at the boat show looking the boat over. IT seems as though it was built very well. and It looks as though Cobra has done a LOT of testing on this boat before releasing it. Hopefully your friend is not to Gun shy of the boat and will continue to build up seat time in the boat, albeit hopefully he will take things a little slower this time ;)

riverbound
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I gotcha... I don't know much about the new modified V but just wanted to clear up that he is a good guy and not an Idiot like we see out there way to often.
Im outta this one for now....
Hopefully nothing I said pointed this guy out to be an "idiot". I don't think that at all and wasnt trying to portray that. I was just cruious as to what caused this accident, and it looks as though it was brought out in a previous post.
Too much HP and too little seat time.

ChumpChange
07-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I also know the owner. He's an experienced driver and it was a freak accident.
Please see where my comment was coming from above. That is where my comment came from. If you can't blame the driver....blame the boat right?

Todd969
07-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Matt, I was trying to stop any judgements against his driving abilities. The boat was new and what he experienced could happen to any of us. I've known him for some time and he's always done his best to be a safe driver. If you ever get to meet him, you'd understand. He always has kids and their friends aboard and isn't exactly the daredevil type.
Todd

havaduner
07-13-2006, 06:18 PM
I could understand him not wanting to talk about it, scarey incident indeed. That is one of the problems with these boats, once things start going bad, they tend to go bad very quick :( Again Glad to hear he is OK.
Again I am not here to point any fingers or start anything. I just remember spending a good ammount of time at the boat show looking the boat over. IT seems as though it was built very well. and It looks as though Cobra has done a LOT of testing on this boat before releasing it. Hopefully your friend is not to Gun shy of the boat and will continue to build up seat time in the boat, albeit hopefully he will take things a little slower this time ;)
The boat is coming back together nicely, a couple weeks and it will be done. He does plan to get back in the boat, albiet a bit slower for awhile.

Todd969
07-13-2006, 06:26 PM
While I don't have a dog in this fight. Just food for thought! Todd969, your line "I was trying to stop any judgements against his driving abilities." If you are an advocate for this persons "driving ability" then what are you attributing the outcome of the incident to?
Personally, I don't care a lick whose friends with who and who's a great guy or whatever. THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS unless a part breaks or a comet falls out of the sky. In this equasion if the boat wasn't at fault and there was no "other party or vessel" involved then that leaves the person at the wheel. While that person may have been around boats for gawd knows how many years, it is NO indication that he's qualified to drive any boat out there.
Chumpchange said it all, "4 days seat time, in a new boat, with basically twice the HP as previous still, in my book is a novice dirver." Also I might add, He has a problem with "good judgement".
Just because he's a "good guy" and a great friend" doesn't mean chit!
Rio-> just calling a spade a spade!
That was actually Havaduner, but I see what you mean.

phebus
07-14-2006, 05:53 AM
They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Patrollin' and try'n to catch me ridin dirty :D