PDA

View Full Version : Seascooter, anybody have any experience with one?

Jyruiz
07-13-2006, 07:49 AM
I am wondering what they cost and how long the batteries last? I am thinking of getting a couple, one for me and one for my son to use when we are hanging out in a cove. Check them out HERE (http://www.seadoo.com/en-US/Watercrafts/2006/Licensing.Products/Category.htm?categoryName=Seascooter&sortBy=SortByProductOrder&currentIndex=0)

gmejia
07-13-2006, 07:53 AM
those are bad ass....let me know how much if you find out ......

catman-do
07-13-2006, 07:58 AM
There are two types, on is battery operated and one is gas. The ones you are used to seeing in Havasu are all gas powered (you will notice the snorkel on them for the air intake) They run off 2stroke motors and are generally around 800-1000 dollars. There are electric ones which is what professional divers use to get deep faster and can be fully submerged but the battary will only last for about 5-10 minutes and are in the same price range. The battary powered ones are a little faster than the gas powered. They are fun though!!! Ive played with a few that people bring up to the Park Mohave channel.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Friend of ours has the gray one and they were using this past weekend, looked like fun.

Jyruiz
07-13-2006, 08:12 AM
I saw a gas powered one when I was in Steamboat about two months ago, the thing kept dying at idle, the kid had to rev it up out of the water to get it to stay on. If he let off the gas, it would die in the water and he could not get it restarted when in deep water, I guess he could not pull the started cable fast enough on while in the water.

hipcash
07-13-2006, 08:15 AM
http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Seadoo/seadoo1GB.asp

riverracerx
07-13-2006, 08:22 AM
As long as you don't expect speed they are cool. I have used both. The gas powered ones are faster and have more pull from the start. The electric ones are slower but can go underwater.
They are fun for about 15 minutes then you put them away and forget about them.
I think they are a little pricey for what you really get out of them.
Just my .02

BoatPI
07-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I got a Seadoo battery one from the sharper image for christmas. Went to use it a month ago and it sparked and flamed out in 1 second. Sharper Image said that would replace it immediately.

MrsSigEpMock
07-13-2006, 08:35 AM
I am flying this week and I saw the Sharper Image one in the "Sky Mall" It was about $200.00 I think that is fair if it is only for tooling around in coves.
Good Luck, They look like fun!

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 08:59 AM
There was a huge recall on the seadoo electric powered ones. Apparently one of the models would have problems with electrical fires, and in some cases had a minor explosion blowing the front cap off, and causing some injuries.
All growing up we had four or 5 of the gas powered ones, everybody in the keys used to have them. Even had a huge nascar style "endurance" race with pit crews, and multiple "drivers" etc..
I still have 3 of them as most of them have been used for parts over the years. They are pretty unreliable to say the least, but they are fun as well once you get them started.
The downsides to the gas powered aquascooters are
1. Pain in the ass to keep running via maintenance etc.. (Just like a jet ski)
2. They spit oil out the back of them which will end up on your clothes and on your boat eventually if your running in coves
3. If you let go of them on accident they keep going and idle faster then you can swim.
4. You can't go as deep as you can with the electric ones. (you Still can go 3 - 5 feet by extending the snorkel tubes)
The upsides are
1. Anything electric powered is for pussies
2. They are WAY faster then the electic ones
3. No down time to recharge, just fill and go then repeat
4. One tank of gas will last a long ass time (longer then your arms will last holding onto the thing)
5. Anything electric is for pussies.
I think the new ones are probably a little more "dialed in" then the old original ones on the reliabillity aspect. The old ones were difficult to start, and honestly a little crude, but myself and everybody else had a blast on them.
As far as not being able to start it.. Well if you can't start it you can't ride it comes into play, they'll figure it out. Having to work a little for the fun, make it that much more enjoyable when you finally do get to use it!
RD

kcvega
07-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Here's what ya really need! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4564299

2Driver
07-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Try Sports Chalet they have the higher grade Sea-doo models vs the consumer ones you see in shaper image and on e-bay. The battery ones can go well below the surface where the Gas ones have to snorkel it.
Sports Chalet ( which has a large dive shop and does certification) has 2 models, one is $300 the other is $700. Check for battery life and recharge time and pulling power. The china made crap from Walmart for $70 is well crap.
check out Seadoo.com to comparison shop.

Hardly Satisfied
07-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Those look like fun just to play around in a cove

All IN
07-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I have the Sea Doo Supercharged model, i bought last summer. Everybody has a blast on it from a 4 year old kid on up. We have had no issued with them and the batteries last for around 2 hours.

All IN
07-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I have the Sea Doo Supercharged model,I bought it last summer. Everybody has a blast on it from a 4 year old kid on up. We have had no issued with them and the batteries last for around 2 hours.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-14-2006, 11:06 AM
We bought some of them and the kids love them.
Get the super mod,, the basic mod barely tows a 150 lb person.
The super is a lot of fun.
Parts & customer support was really bad, its a Sea Doo in license name only,, a company in North Cali makes and sells them.
Be really carefull re-assembling them after a charge. Any water gets into were it doesn't belong and it really messes the system up deluxe.

Jyruiz
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
We bought some of them and the kids love them.
Get the super mod,, the basic mod barely tows a 150 lb person.
The super is a lot of fun.
Parts & customer support was really bad, its a Sea Doo in license name only,, a company in North Cali makes and sells them.
Be really carefull re-assembling them after a charge. Any water gets into were it doesn't belong and it really messes the system up deluxe.
Do you mean the supercharged one?

Jyruiz
07-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, I got the Seascooter GTI (http://www.seascooter.net/products_gti.htm) today. I did not go with the SC because it is twice the price (800.00) and I wanted to make sure it is something we will enjoy enough to warrant the more expensive one later on. Plus, my son is eight and the SC was to big for him to handle. If I end up liking it though, I will get the SC for me. :)

All IN
07-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Trust me you will buy SC for yourself, it's a blast.