PDA

View Full Version : Kite Tube Recall!

ANXIETY ATTACK
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
just got an e-mail from sports stuff, CPSC is doing a voluntary recall of the WeGo Kite Tube. People are dying and stuff. also heard some lakes are banning them. they are also being taken off the market. dose this make the value of them go up?

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2006, 09:42 AM
They have already been banned on Lake Powell. (http://www.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Announcements&id=4557)

RiverToysJas
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
just got an e-mail from sports stuff, CPSC is doing a voluntary recall of the WeGo Kite Tube. People are dying and stuff. also heard some lakes are banning them. they are also being taken off the market. dose this make the value of them go up?
I don't know who has died on one. According to the CPSC a WHOPPING 39 people have been injured, 29 needing medical care. (http://www.sportsstuff.com/news/07-13-06/images/06210.pdf) :rolleyes:
Says right on the tube, never kite higher than you are willing to fall! :crossx:
RTJas :D

Propster
07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Great, someone comes up with a cool boating activity that does not involve creating a nine foot wake and they try to kill it right away. I was hoping they would get a little more refined before I buy one, but I might have to get one before they are banned.

weaver
07-13-2006, 10:04 AM
http://www.sportsstuff.com/news/07-12-06/images/Consumerletter07-10-06.pdf
http://www.heytone.com/movies/movies.html
check out this video...

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Figured was only a matter of time. Get them off the shelf before someone gets sued.

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I dunno.. I'm all over personal responsibillity and less big brother etc.. I'm also for experiencing life even if that means a little danger here and there, but I sure as hell wouldn't get on one of those things.
Your literally putting your future hospital bills and or life in the hands of the driver of the boat. I know alot of people (myself included) would think it's funny as shit to maybe pull somebody a little faster on a normal tube then required as a joke, and things like that. Some guy decides to play a joke on one of these things you could get pretty hurt pretty quick. Especially if it's too close to the shoreline with a cross breeze?
I don't know if they should be outlawed or not, but I can tell you I don't think I'd get on one. At first I was all hot on buying one, but after watching a few videos online I don't even want one anywhere around me whether I'm driving or not.
I guess what I'm saying is, think about the site six thread and these morons that can't even put a boat on the trailer. These are the guys that are in control of pulling these things, in control of height vs boat speed, maintaining a safe course on the river (dodging jet skiers and other traffic) but adding in the fact that they have to stay we'll say a minimum 60' from the shoreline (50' rope? maybe 10' away from the shore for depth reasons) seems like alot to factor in for an idiot that can't put a boat on the trailer. Too hard to watch what's going on in front, while at the same time vary the boat speed to keep the kite tube from shooting sky high if a breeze comes up. You'd almost always have to be watching the tuber instead of what's going on in front of you. Again I don't know if they should be outlawed or not, but I think that only the most experienced of drivers should be pulling them.
RD

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Well said.
I dunno.. I'm all over personal responsibillity and less big brother etc.. I'm also for experiencing life even if that means a little danger here and there, but I sure as hell wouldn't get on one of those things.
Your literally putting your future hospital bills and or life in the hands of the driver of the boat. I know alot of people (myself included) would think it's funny as shit to maybe pull somebody a little faster on a normal tube then required as a joke, and things like that. Some guy decides to play a joke on one of these things you could get pretty hurt pretty quick. Especially if it's too close to the shoreline with a cross breeze?
I don't know if they should be outlawed or not, but I can tell you I don't think I'd get on one. At first I was all hot on buying one, but after watching a few videos online I don't even want one anywhere around me whether I'm driving or not.
I guess what I'm saying is, think about the site six thread and these morons that can't even put a boat on the trailer. These are the guys that are in control of pulling these things, in control of height vs boat speed, maintaining a safe course on the river (dodging jet skiers and other traffic) but adding in the fact that they have to stay we'll say a minimum 60' from the shoreline (50' rope? maybe 10' away from the shore for depth reasons) seems like alot to factor in for an idiot that can't put a boat on the trailer. Too hard to watch what's going on in front, while at the same time vary the boat speed to keep the kite tube from shooting sky high if a breeze comes up. You'd almost always have to be watching the tuber instead of what's going on in front of you. Again I don't know if they should be outlawed or not, but I think that only the most experienced of drivers should be pulling them.
RD

bohica
07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
The kids had a blast on the kite tube last month at Powell. My buddies wife didn't think it was too cool when her son bailed real hard. Had to do 40-45 to get the thing in the air, and once it took off, there was really no way to control it. Here's some pics.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/1258111111-med.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/12582111-med.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/12583111-med.jpg
Getting ugly
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/125841111-med.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/12585111-med.jpg

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 10:22 AM
You know they're banned on powell now right? LOL :D
RD

Kilrtoy
07-13-2006, 10:41 AM
I would not even put my best fiends on HB on one of those thing and we know who those select few are :argue. That is serious injury and death waiting to happen.
Sometimes laws are enacted to protect the stupid people from hurting or killing themselves

bohica
07-13-2006, 10:43 AM
They must of banned them right in the middle of our stay. Saw a few other people with them. My buddy was the one that bought it, his wife insisted it was being returned as soon as they got home.
We always had a chase boat when pulling it, and on one hard crash, my buddies kid was as white as a ghost. Got the wind knocked out of him and had someone jumping off the boat in seconds to render aid. Scarey moment for sure.

INSman
07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Why doesn't someone donate one of their's to Ben Roethlisberger so he can try it out, NO helmet of course ??!!?? :220v:

79Challenger
07-13-2006, 10:45 AM
we got one of the manta ray flying tubes. It doesn't seem to go as high as the kite tube, but you have some control over it. 3 wipe outs and I am done for the day!

USCFAN
07-13-2006, 10:47 AM
That thing is crazy... I would never get on one of those....

All IN
07-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I HAD the Manta Ray,the time I used it everybody who tried had a bad wipeout. I got rid of it before somebody got hurt.

KineticoH20
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
way too dangerous for the novice, it's a good idea.

bohica
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Having no control of the thing is the scariest part. To get the thing airborne you had to do an honest 40+ mph. Once it's airborne, you have no control. A gust of wind could come up at shoot the thing straight up. You can't see the person on the tube from the towing boat either. No way for them to signal the boat that they were done. Sure you can slow the boat down, but all we pictured was them dropping like a rock from 40 feet in the air. You know how kids are, they loved it. They were bummed when informed it was being returned. With the racall, mom doesn't have to be the bad guy anymore.

rrrr
07-13-2006, 11:06 AM
I haven't read the instructions on the WeGo, but I imagine it says some words about boat driver skill and PASSENGER AGE and WEIGHT.
A kid should never be flown more that 2-5 feet high. They don't weigh enough to offset the lift of the tube. Another mistake people make is turning. The WeGo is meant to be flown STRAIGHT.
You think the WeGo is dangerous, this is what we flew back in the 70's. No way to steer, no dihedral, and damn little stability. I could fly it just fine-200 lbs. My 140 lb buddies would get in the air, go into roll oscillations, and it would invert and crash. Good thing the hang glider came along-much more controllable.... :220v:
http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/prints/pr19970.jpg

Dan Lorenze
07-13-2006, 11:07 AM
This news just makes me want one even more....

Ziggy
07-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Says right on the tube, never kite higher than you are willing to fall! :crossx:
RTJas :D
Fine and dandy if the driver knew what you wanted...You're at the drivers mercy as Dave pointed out.......There's also stickers on boats that tell us not to TeakSurf either. :rolleyes:
I would never put my kid(s) on that thing.........Looks like a hell of a lot of fun but not worth the risk IMO.

Boatcop
07-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Here's a compilation of articles regarding the Kite Tubes and their ban/recall.
http://www.steadywinds.com/archives/category/in-the-news/sportstuff-wego-kite-tube/

rrrr
07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Hell no you wouldn't put your kids on it.....just like you wouldn't let 'em drink vodka or drive your Harley.
I guess the CSPC substitutes for common sense when people have none.
I'm gonna go play lawn darts. :220v: :220v:

ANXIETY ATTACK
07-13-2006, 11:38 AM
ok, my 135 Lb son took 35 mph to fly, very unstable, had to react within .5 sec. came down hard. no more for him, my friend 250 Lb @ 50 mph, was able to maintain level flight @ 20 ft. in air for 2 min. the only safe way to fly these things is to have a throttle man watching tube at all times and a driver driving the boat. i think i will stick to driving the boat. i dont heal well anymore.

rrrr
07-13-2006, 12:52 PM
the only safe way to fly these things is to have a throttle man watching tube at all times and a driver driving the boat.
And that's just common sense. The guys in the Catalina race have an observer because the driver is busy driving. If you are FLYING someone, it's a bit different than pulling a tube, someone should be watching.
No way I would pull my parasail without an observer to help look for traffic and monitor the sail.
Just FYI, my experience:
1972-1974 Bill Bennett flat kite (type pictured)
1974-1979 hang glider w/HD frame (.049 6061 T6 vs .090)
1991-2006 26' parasail w/up to 800' line
Nothing but scrapes and bruises so far........ :220v: :220v:

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I haven't read the instructions on the WeGo, but I imagine it says some words about boat driver skill and PASSENGER AGE and WEIGHT.
A kid should never be flown more that 2-5 feet high. They don't weigh enough to offset the lift of the tube. Another mistake people make is turning. The WeGo is meant to be flown STRAIGHT.
You think the WeGo is dangerous, this is what we flew back in the 70's. No way to steer, no dihedral, and damn little stability. I could fly it just fine-200 lbs. My 140 lb buddies would get in the air, go into roll oscillations, and it would invert and crash. Good thing the hang glider came along-much more controllable.... :220v:
http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/prints/pr19970.jpg
What the fock is that? Yet another thing I'd never do.. LOL
RD

No Name
07-13-2006, 01:05 PM
I didnÂ’t see that comingÂ…. :rolleyes:

rrrr
07-13-2006, 01:12 PM
What the fock is that? Yet another thing I'd never do.. LOL
RD
It would be perfectly fun for you, Dave. A 2" webbing strap around your waist with a crotch strap sewn to it.......220+ pounds of RD glory, your entire weight crushing your nads, and no way to control the thing.
We did have a quick release on the harness in case you splashed down and had to swim away from it. Unfortuneately, one guinea pig that begged for a flight decided he didn't like the ride and hit the release at about 30' altitude.....kersplash! Uh, where are my swim trunks? :crossx: :220v:

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 01:35 PM
It would be perfectly fun for you, Dave. A 2" webbing strap around your waist with a crotch strap sewn to it.......220+ pounds of RD glory, your entire weight crushing your nads, and no way to control the thing.
We did have a quick release on the harness in case you splashed down and had to swim away from it. Unfortuneately, one guinea pig that begged for a flight decided he didn't like the ride and hit the release at about 30' altitude.....kersplash! Uh, where are my swim trunks? :crossx: :220v:
I'm down to 198 pds thank you.. LOL (That's naked BTW) :D
That thing looks like it could hurt you pretty good if you came down on top of it? (inverted?)
RD

Goober
07-13-2006, 02:51 PM
I think the way it is right now is very unsafe. After watching these videos i will never get on that thing.
It needs to be rebuilt with a 4 point mounting sytem i think i only saw 2 and they where in line of the rope. Need to mount it on a diamond patern and need to move the operator back about 3 feet or so Then they need to make the kite a little more ridged it folds to easy.

desertbird
07-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Overton's already has posted that they can't ship anymore.
banned (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=12063)

TPI
07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
We love our kite tube. We pull it pretty slow. As stated above: The driver is the ONLY controller of the thing. We like to just get it doing a wheelie and bounce it. We had a rider getting two to six feet in the air on it and it was pretty fun. After we use it, there is always a big discussion in our group on how easy it would be to cornhole yourself on the kite tube, if the driver was not paying attention or safety concious. We are keeping ours.

Jordy
07-13-2006, 04:01 PM
but I can tell you I don't think I'd get on one.
They do have a weight limit Little Mister, so you wouldn't get very far. Think "Failure to Launch." :D :D :D

centerhill condor
07-13-2006, 04:41 PM
earlier this week two knobs one wearing a "halo" neck brace were bad mouthing these flying tubes on CBS morning show. apparently two people have been killed and the knobs want them banned... you just can't get the really dumb ones out of the gene pool! and it is never their fault when they get hurt! maybe if bikes didn't come with training wheels people would learn what hurts before it becomes lethal.
an old Kentucky saying, "if you're gonna be dumb you better be tuff!"
:yuk:

Cole Sanger
07-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Anyone that wants to ride on one can come out to Saguaro with me on Thursdays. I go out almost every Thursday (except next Thursday). No wimps or complainers.

shueman
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Who was the design genius and marketing hotshot that came up with this one....??
"Fly 20'-40' in the air, tied to a boat going 35-40 mph. Great Fun..... :rolleyes:
Guess they forgot to consult with a physicist to calculate the speed of entry into the water with a fall and the relative density.
Might as well up off a freeway bridge head first.....

sorry dog
07-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I want one.

rrrr
07-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm down to 198 pds thank you.. LOL (That's naked BTW) :D
That thing looks like it could hurt you pretty good if you came down on top of it? (inverted?)
RD
Dood, it's against the Man Rules to weigh yourself with clothes on. It'll upset your aura.
Yeah, the flat kite was like a phucking man eating tiger, once it tasted human flesh it wanted more.......we were real happy to retire it and fly a hang glider instead. :crossx: :D :D

Dusty Times
07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Overton's already has posted that they can't ship anymore.
banned (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=12063)
Kinda strange that the Manta Ray is still available?