PDA

View Full Version : Even California Takes Away Our Rights!!!!

UncleLarry
07-13-2006, 10:25 AM
SAN DIEGO - Worried about the health effects of secondhand smoke and sick of cleaning up discarded cigarettes, San Diego has banned smoking at its beaches and parks.
Damn no one will ever come to California again - they are taking away all our rights and freedoms....
All you California's better stay focused on YOUR state and not worry about little old lake havasu...

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
When did the smoking ban go into affect?
SAN DIEGO - Worried about the health effects of secondhand smoke and sick of cleaning up discarded cigarettes, San Diego has banned smoking at its beaches and parks.

little rowe boat
07-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Cool, now I know what beaches I will visit.

Kilrtoy
07-13-2006, 10:45 AM
GOOD now my kids can go to the beach, only been to a San Diego beach once , with out smelling that crap and stepping in sitting on a bunch of cig butts.
Smoking is disgusting and sick

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Their nice beaches jusy got a lot nicer. :)

riverluvr
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi all. I am new to the boards....I bought a truck from this site and have been hooked ever since. I agree.....smoking IS nasty! I don't need some smoker who is going to die from cancer, giving my kids cancer too. Yuck! Go San Diego! Carlsbad is a beautiful beach.....now I can frequent it more.

chub
07-13-2006, 10:51 AM
GOOD now my kids can go to the beach, only been to a San Diego beach once , with out smelling that crap and stepping in sitting on a bunch of cig butts.
Everyone should be required by law to pick up trash on the beaches of Cali for one day in their lives if you live in Cali. If you people visit the beach you know what I mean. I remember as a kid the beaches were clean. Now you literally have to watch where you walk. Needles, trash, buts, condoms, everything imaginable. If you put in in the street, it ends up in the ocean.
Fock you I'm not a tree hugger. :yuk:

little rowe boat
07-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Their nice beaches jusy got a lot nicer. :)
Now thats the truth.

riverluvr
07-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Everyone should be required by law to pick up trash on the beaches of Cali for one day in their lives if you live in Cali. If you people visit the beach you know what I mean. I remember as a kid the beaches were clean. Now you literally have to watch where you walk. Needles, trash, buts, condoms, everything imaginable. If you put in in the street, it ends up in the ocean.
:rollside:
Okay.....so I am guessing you are a smoker...just a wild guess.

sea2lake
07-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree, but alot of the cig butts come from the inner cities throught the drainage system,so i dont see a big impact. less butts on the beach(no pun intended) but still will be floating up from the ocean

Todd969
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey Kojack relax. You know I smoke and when you or the kids are near I make sure to stay down wind. I try to be a curtious smoker to non smokers.
Factual statement: Darrell ( Shadow ), Cudmore and I always discard cigs in a water bottle.

Dribble
07-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Cool. It's about time we can go to the beach without having to put up with that crap.

shueman
07-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Sounds like another ordinance for the Bridgewater Channel.... :crossx:
Cig butts floating around, trashed on the sand....disgusting.... :rolleyes:

UnionJack
07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I agree

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I am a smoker (although I'm trying to quit right now.. down to about a half pack a day thank you)
Even after I do quit though, I wouldn't be dumb enough to write any of the stupid shit that's written in this thread so far.
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT TRAMPLING SOMEONES RIGHTS BECUASE IT BENEFITS YOU, BECUASE NEXT TIME AROUND SOMEBODY WILL TRAMPLE YOUR RIGHTS BECUASE IT BENEFITS THEM!
What I mean by that is people saying "GOOD!" etc.. are not looking at the larger picture. ANYTIME PERSONAL FREEDOMS ARE LOST it's a bad thing. It's smokers today, ***boaters, duners, liquor, etc tomorrow..
There is fines for littering the laws are already on the books. Enforce what we have and stop erroding away personal freedoms. Once communities start going down that path it's opening pandoras box!! Becuase you can't stop the flow. It gets very easy to make ordinances, and laws based on unrealistic situations because of the age old simple rule : A person is smart, people are stupid.
RD

kingsransomracing
07-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I am not a smoker, but I agree..this is a personal freedom. I think our "republic for which it stands" is starting to turn communist. just my opinion.
soon people will say we can't have Fast food...and poof...."in & out" is gone...then all those happy about the smoking ban, will be pissed off because their personal feedoms of eating a juicy double double have been infringed.

YeLLowBoaT
07-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I am a smoker (although I'm trying to quit right now.. down to about a half pack a day thank you)
Even after I do quit though, I wouldn't be dumb enough to write any of the stupid shit that's written in this thread so far.
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT TRAMPLING SOMEONES RIGHTS BECUASE IT BENEFITS YOU, BECUASE NEXT TIME AROUND SOMEBODY WILL TRAMPLE YOUR RIGHTS BECUASE IT BENEFITS THEM!
What I mean by that is people saying "GOOD!" etc.. are not looking at the larger picture. ANYTIME PERSONAL FREEDOMS ARE LOST it's a bad thing. It's smokers today, ***boaters, duners, liquor, etc tomorrow..
There is fines for littering the laws are already on the books. Enforce what we have and stop erroding away personal freedoms. Once communities start going down that path it's opening pandoras box!! Becuase you can't stop the flow. It gets very easy to make ordinances, and laws based on unrealistic situations because of the age old simple rule : A person is smart, people are stupid.
RD
I agree with we should look at the bigger picture.
now yes the personal freedoms are beening taken away, but what about the freedoms of others around the smokers?
Lets just use the example of My mother. She has a Very bad breathing prob( living on half of one lung) When some 1 lights up around her she goes in to a ashma attack. Which normally results in her using a nebulizer.( major does of steriods.) There has been more then one time where I have had to take here to the ER, do to some 1 lighting up right next to her at a outside resterant.
What about her rights to go to the beach?
Smoking does not just effect the smoker...

No Name
07-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I’m not much of a smoker, but I do enjoy a smoke when I’m in the channel watching some of the girls dancing. :D :D

Excessive Force
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
this thread should be entitled California, always the first to take your rights away!

YeLLowBoaT
07-13-2006, 01:14 PM
One more thing... IF the beach/parks are owned by the city. They Have the right to ban what ever they want.
The use of Beachs/parks is PRIVLAGE not a RIGHT. Just like driving a Car.

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 01:15 PM
I agree with we should look at the bigger picture.
now yes the personal freedoms are beening taken away, but what about the freedoms of others around the smokers?
Lets just use the example of My mother. She has a Very bad breathing prob( living on half of one lung) When some 1 lights up around her she goes in to a ashma attack. Which normally results in her using a nebulizer.( major does of steriods.) There has been more then one time where I have had to take here to the ER, do to some 1 lighting up right next to her at a outside resterant.
What about her rights to go to the beach?
Smoking does not just effect the smoker...
That's almost like saying. I want to take a nun to a strip joint. What about her rights to not be offended while frequenting the spearmint rhino for a coke?
Why in the hell would you take an old lady with a half a lung to a resturaunt that allowed smoking? There's not enough restaraunts that don't allow smoking for you?
RD

KLEPTOW
07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Boy I love it when boaters or in this case ''Hot'' Boaters jump on the haters band wagon.
Well if you have a boat you may want to research how much pollutant’s come from your boat before you call the Kettle black!!! Until then or unless you power your boat or car with oar's
F%ck Off.............

AirtimeLavey
07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
:2purples: Yikes! What beach(es) do you hang out at? You're right, though, it's annoying to see some of them get trashed.
It's arguable to say that an activity that kills the participant, and is proven to be harmful to those around them, is a personal freedom or right. Hell, don't the manufacturers even print warning labels right on the box. :idea: I get so pissed everytime I see someone throw their cig. butt out the window of their car or flick it out of their boat in the channel. :mad: It's the mentality of it's their world and we're just living in it. Like we should just deal with it. :yuk:
As for smokers, trying to quit...good luck to you. I hear it's a bitch to quit. But then I hear you can taste food again, and your cars, clothes, houses, hair, etc. don't stink anymore, and you can make it up the whole flight of stairs, again! :D

MrsSigEpMock
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
didn't read the whole post but....., I think people in California have less rights than anyone in the country, including immigrants!!! :crossx: :yuk:

RiverDave
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
:2purples: Yikes! What beach(es) do you hang out at? You're right, though, it's annoying to see some of them get trashed.
It's arguable to say that an activity that kills the participant, and is proven to be harmful to those around them, is a personal freedom or right. Hell, don't the manufacturers even print warning labels right on the box. :idea: I get so pissed everytime I see someone throw their cig. butt out the window of their car or flick it out of their boat in the channel. :mad: It's the mentality of it's their world and we're just living in it. Like we should just deal with it. :yuk:
As for smokers, trying to quit...good luck to you. I hear it's a bitch to quit. But then I hear you can taste food again, and your cars, clothes, houses, hair, etc. don't stink anymore, and you can make it up the whole flight of stairs, again! :D
Do you ever "check the prop?" Or do you hold it until you get to a restroom. Pissing in the water is FAR MORE of a pollutant then a cigarette butt could ever be. Do you occasionally have to fill your drive oil reservoir? Check your prop seals on a regular basis? Little bit of oil goes A LONG ways as far as water supply as well.
I wonder who's polluting more? A guy that never pisses in the water, and who's boat doesn't leak oil, nor does he pump oily bildge water into our water supply.. and or a guy that throws butts in the water?
I'm none of those guys, so don't think I'm trying to be holier then thou.. I have been known to check the prop, have a leaky prop seal, and on occasion throw a cigarette butt in the water.
My point being, while it might be a nuisance for you to have to see a cigarette floating in the water every now and again. To erode that persons rights and say NO MORE SMOKING.. Is NOT that different then someone else saying NO MORE BOATING! Becuase they find it irritating that boats seep some oil into the water, or two strokes spit oily fuel into the water etc.. With eviromental whackos behind them it's scary to think that we'd even put a small hole in our damn protecting our rights.
RD

rivercrazy
07-13-2006, 01:32 PM
BINGO
My point being, while it might be a nuisance for you to have to see a cigarette floating in the water every now and again. To erode that persons rights and say NO MORE SMOKING.. Is NOT that different then someone else saying NO MORE BOATING! Becuase they find it irritating that boats seep some oil into the water, or two strokes spit oily fuel into the water etc.. With eviromental whackos behind them it's scary to think that we'd even put a small hole in our damn protecting our rights.
RD

AirtimeLavey
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Do you ever "check the prop?" Or do you hold it until you get to a restroom. Pissing in the water is FAR MORE of a pollutant then a cigarette butt could ever be. Do you occasionally have to fill your drive oil reservoir? Check your prop seals on a regular basis? Little bit of oil goes A LONG ways as far as water supply as well.
I wonder who's polluting more? A guy that never pisses in the water, and who's boat doesn't leak oil, nor does he pump oily bildge water into our water supply.. and or a guy that throws butts in the water?
I'm none of those guys, so don't think I'm trying to be holier then thou.. I have been known to check the prop, have a leaky prop seal, and on occasion throw a cigarette butt in the water.
RD
Lol....you mean have I ever drank beer at the river? Ya, "I've checked the prop". I think my pee disappates a little quicker and more than a cig. butt, though. Oil doesn't, and that could be a concern for the tree huggers, which I am not. Life is not black and white for me. One rule doesn't apply everywhere everytime. No, that's not a contradiction. Some things are not comparable, and I don't think you can compare annual deaths from boating to annual deaths and other debilitating and trash issues from smoking. Too much of a reality stretch. If a boat does oooze too much toxic into the water, it should be dealt with. You just need to set limits on the bad stuff. I'm not saying zero. That's not realistic.
I do think two strokes should be dealt with. I've been choked out at Katherine's by the lice, waiting for the ramp.
I'm all for strong personal freedoms, but that's not just personal freedoms from the government, but from other people's destructive and harmful behavior as well. People want to do self-destructive things, I'm not interested in standing in their way, until I have to pay for their medical and other peripheral damages, cause they don't realize the toll it takes on all of us indirectly.
I don't really care about people smoking on the beach, or outside. I think the city was just trying to cut down on the peripheral after affects of the trash left behind. If smokers want their freedom, then they should respect ours...plain and simple :D

mickeyfinn
07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I think laws banning smoking in bars, stores or any non-government institution should be struck down. If enough people have objections to eating in a place that allows smoking free enterprise will take care of it. Public places such as parks are owned by the government.....meaning the people, smokers and non smokers. I see no reason why banning smoking in some of these places should be a problem.....
Using the parks are your right, until you infringe on someone elses rights.

mike37
07-13-2006, 02:29 PM
if all you smokers weren't so inconsiderate they would not need the law
so go cry to your selves you cosed the problem now your crying about it
I love not smelling your stinky ass smoke

dmontzsta
07-13-2006, 02:34 PM
They should ban cigarettes all together. They kill people and are out right disgusting.

YeLLowBoaT
07-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Using the parks are your right, until you infringe on someone elses rights.
The USE of parks is NOT a right. Its a privilege, not a right.

Deano
07-13-2006, 02:45 PM
RD for President..
I lived up in Oregon for a short time. They allow smoking in all the bars and restaurants. There are alot of non smoking establishments up there as well. I think it works out pretty good for them with out the government involved.
I love it when voting time comes around and people are saying "fuk the smokers, lets tax em an extra buck, or whatever". Its all about rights and they are starting to disapear.
or something like that :rolleyes:

2Driver
07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh man now all the Cali beach smokers are going to go to Parker. All the California beach business are going to go bankrupt. Oh Christ, our freedom our freedom! :D

Wake Havasu
07-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Even California Takes Away Our Rights!!!!
You're kidding right?
California is one of the most legislated states in the Union.
When I cross the Colorado I always take a deep breath of free air.
There are more freedoms in China than in California.
I envision a day when we in California have to wear helmets when driving or walking.

buzzaro
07-13-2006, 04:25 PM
In addition to cigarettes, french fries and potato chips need to be banned (possibly twinkies and cup cakes). These things are not healthy and as such cost countless dollars in healthcare and lost time at work. Not to mention I really dont like to look at fat people, its very irritating, and I believe I should have the freedom from having to look at them.

Dribble
07-13-2006, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Deano]RD for President..
I lived up in Oregon for a short time. They allow smoking in all the bars and restaurants. There are alot of non smoking establishments up there as well. I think it works out pretty good for them with out the government involved.
Isn't that the state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas? :rolleyes:

AirtimeLavey
07-13-2006, 05:52 PM
In addition to cigarettes, french fries and potato chips need to be banned (possibly twinkies and cup cakes). These things are not healthy and as such cost countless dollars in healthcare and lost time at work. Not to mention I really dont like to look at fat people, its very irritating, and I believe I should have the freedom from having to look at them.
From what I hear, the sun can cause damage, too. Better not step outside. :rolleyes:

AirtimeLavey
07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
You bitch about smoking when you can't even see the sky through the smog...
Exactly!! :mix:

Ziggy
07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Cancer cures smoking.........eventually.
My wife has terrible reactions to smoke(alergic type).......she's real good at making a scene if smoke wafts her way when in a place it shouldn't be........

mickeyfinn
07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
The USE of parks is NOT a right. Its a privilege, not a right.
You are joking right?
Once a park is designated as such it is your right to use it.(assuming you live in that municipality if it is a local park. Your RIGHT allows you touse the park within the outlined desgnated use. You do not have a right to camp in a park designated as day use. Your rights are governed by the park rules. There have been many cases where peoples rights to free speech have been upheld in public parks. Just because you have a right doesn't mean it is totally unrestricted. You have the right to free speech, but not the right to yell fire in a crowded space when no reasonable reason to suspect a fire exists. You are part owner and for all its faults our rules of government is still the best thing going. We just need to be vigilent and reclaim some of the rights we have allowed to be taken from us and prevent thegovernment from further erosion of our rights. This also means that people have to recognize the fact that people have the right to do things that some of us don't like.

shueman
07-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Tobacco and Alcohol are LEGAL ADDICTIVE KILLER DRUGS.....they should all be banned....and pushers of these drugs should be fined and jail'd..... :rolleyes:

a catered life
07-13-2006, 07:34 PM
personally i am not a cigerette smoker but i do smoke a cigar now and then. :p .....also i have hated california beaches since 1986 (once you swim in jamicia most beaches fail in comparision)...most of california beaches are nasty and the water smells but recently i was invited down to the san diego area (camp penteton (sp?) and i have to say it was one of the best beach experiences i have ever had :rollside: the water was decent the sandy beaches were awesome and very clean.......my $.02 is smoking on a beachs and parks is not the problem but the a holes that just throw their buds on the ground mess it up for the few that try to keep it clean..to ban something like smoking on beachs is stupid but remember this country is focused on doing the so called right thing rather than focus on the real problem

voodoomedman
07-13-2006, 08:11 PM
(once you swim in jamicia most beaches fail in comparision)
Not so sure about that. I mean beautiful beaches and all but it's hard to enjoy when 10 dudes on surfboards keep trying to sell you trinkets or drugs about every two seconds. And actually buying a necklace or something doesn't make them stop. Now they know your a sucker with money so they hound you worse.

CARLSON-JET
07-13-2006, 10:43 PM
This thread is forking hillarious. EEEEWWW!!! a cigarette butt!! OH MY GOD!! Do any of the the anti-smoking folks realize that almost every major municipality in CA. along the coast dumps their somewhat treated (when they can keep up) sewage into the ocean about 2 miles off shore?? Tiajuana dumps millions of gallons a year of untreated sewage just south of the boarder into the river. That river dumps into the ocean and from there the current takes it north.
Did you also know that rather then clean up their acts, all the ship yards and navy pay the small enviromental impact fees/fines to dump PCB's, carcinogens and every other nasty thing you can think of into the bays and harbors. I guess if you can't see it then it must be OK.. LOLOL!!
San Diego harbor is so pulluted if you pull a bucket of water from it and dump it back in you could be fined for polluting. This is not a joke and a very nasty little secret. When the navy at North Island repaints the stealth jets they blast off the old paint with NO worries about where that old paint goes. When they re-shoot them, guess what? The same concern is used. The navy pays a small fine (about 5K) and go about business as usual. Ever wonder what the little black specks on the paint of your new car are when you park in Downtown S.D.? That is fresh sand blasting particles from 32nd street naval shipyard. What else is realeased into the air is never mentioned. LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!! AND GET THIS You know all that nice clean white looking sand on the S.D. beaches that erodes away every storm that is replenished?? Do you have any idea where it comes from?? I will respond in the next post.. this is a BIG wake-up call for anybody complaining about CIGGY BUTTS.. LOLOL... Enjoy you non-smoking beaches that the bumms use as their bathrooms.
Keep feeling rightous. It will bite you in the ass. There is NO doubt about it.

Kilrtoy
07-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Boy I love it when boaters or in this case ''Hot'' Boaters jump on the haters band wagon.
Well if you have a boat you may want to research how much pollutant’s come from your boat before you call the Kettle black!!! Until then or unless you power your boat or car with oar's
F%ck Off.............
call up dustin and fire up that blower, lets get some more smoke going :boxed:

Tom Brown
07-13-2006, 10:51 PM
You bitch about smoking when you can't even see the sky through the smog...
Good point, Mike. I'm going to start smoking. It will show everyone how intelligent I am and make me smell good and keep my mouth nice and fresh.
How you guys live with that shit is beyond me. :D

a catered life
07-14-2006, 05:55 AM
This thread is forking hillarious. EEEEWWW!!! a cigarette butt!! OH MY GOD!! Do any of the the anti-smoking folks realize that almost every major municipality in CA. along the coast dumps their somewhat treated (when they can keep up) sewage into the ocean about 2 miles off shore?? Tiajuana dumps millions of gallons a year of untreated sewage just south of the boarder into the river. That river dumps into the ocean and from there the current takes it north.
Did you also know that rather then clean up their acts, all the ship yards and navy pay the small enviromental impact fees/fines to dump PCB's, carcinogens and every other nasty thing you can think of into the bays and harbors. I guess if you can't see it then it must be OK.. LOLOL!!
San Diego harbor is so pulluted if you pull a bucket of water from it and dump it back in you could be fined for polluting. This is not a joke and a very nasty little secret. When the navy at North Island repaints the stealth jets they blast off the old paint with NO worries about where that old paint goes. When they re-shoot them, guess what? The same concern is used. The navy pays a small fine (about 5K) and go about business as usual. Ever wonder what the little black specks on the paint of your new car are when you park in Downtown S.D.? That is fresh sand blasting particles from 32nd street naval shipyard. What else is realeased into the air is never mentioned. LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!! AND GET THIS You know all that nice clean white looking sand on the S.D. beaches that erodes away every storm that is replenished?? Do you have any idea where it comes from?? I will respond in the next post.. this is a BIG wake-up call for anybody complaining about CIGGY BUTTS.. LOLOL... Enjoy you non-smoking beaches that the bumms use as their bathrooms.
Keep feeling rightous. It will bite you in the ass. There is NO doubt about it.
yes i knew that and thats why i said i havent touched a calif beach in almost 20 years.....in high school we had field trip to a local sewage refinary plant (i still dont know why) and they told us how much waste they are allowed to dump in the ocean and where the trash is dumped :yuk: needeless to say that ended my naked nights at the beach :p

buzzaro
07-15-2006, 05:42 AM
From what I hear, the sun can cause damage, too. Better not step outside. :rolleyes:
or breathe, I understand the air is polluted (cars, those damn smokers, etc.)