PDA

View Full Version : 496ho issues

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
my last time out. i had issues with my motor. a had 6 people on broad and 2 full koolers. going up river towards sandbar and the boat started beeping. i was going about 63 to 65mph full trottle with all those people. i shut the motor off , than restart it. still beeps. looked at all my gauges and looked fine expect the temp jumped up to 220.its always at 180. i shut the motor off waited 5 mins.took off and cruise up to the sandbar around 45 to 50 mph and no beep. i thought maybe a fluke. a few hours later headed back to he channel and it happen again around the same speed. i did the waiting again and it fix the problem. sunday morning while putting the back on the trailer, iam by myself going 72mph and no beep. i cant figure it out. i thought it could be my impeller but someone told me its not the impeller becuase its not getting hot at low speed. anybody had the same issues.

BajaMike
07-14-2006, 01:24 PM
my last time out. i had issues with my motor. a had 6 people on broad and 2 full koolers. going up river towards sandbar and the boat started beeping. i was going about 63 to 65mph full trottle with all those people. i shut the motor off , than restart it. still beeps. looked at all my gauges and looked fine expect the temp jumped up to 220.its always at 180. i shut the motor off waited 5 mins.took off and cruise up to the sandbar around 45 to 50 mph and no beep. i thought maybe a fluke. a few hours later headed back to he channel and it happen again around the same speed. i did the waiting again and it fix the problem. sunday morning while putting the back on the trailer, iam by myself going 72mph and no beep. i cant figure it out. i thought it could be my impeller but someone told me its not the impeller becuase its not getting hot at low speed. anybody had the same issues.
Impeller or clogged up water intakes???:confused:
Was any steam coming out the exhasts??

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-14-2006, 01:25 PM
It's probably the same thing everybody has. Sand and weeds in the exchanger. I know its wierd that it is on and off but it has happend to me several times.

voodoomedman
07-14-2006, 01:26 PM
The on thing that sounds weird is your jump in temperature but maybe you confused it turning it off and on so much. If you were at full throttle with all that weight in the heat it could just be that you were overrevving it. Check Merc's website the HO top rpm is around 5150 rpm I believe but I'm probably not exact. If you try to go over that then engine protects itself and won't overrev but it beeps at you to let you know. What were your RPM's? Try doing it again if you don't know and see what your RPM's are. Only other option is to go to Absolute Speed & Marine and have them hook up the scan tool to your computer and tell you why it beeped.

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:26 PM
no steam, i even look it water was coming out of the exhaust.

voodoomedman
07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
It's probably the same thing everybody has. Sand and weeds in the exchanger. I know its wierd that it is on and off but it has happend to me several times.
or that too.
:idea: :idea: :idea:

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:31 PM
iam going to take it there but just wanted to know if it haved to anybody else.

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:32 PM
anyway of cleaning it out.

caroftheweek
07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
check the drive oil bottle on the top of the intake manifold, port side. this got us for a while. kept beeping intermitenly but showed not lack of performance.
Ryan

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-14-2006, 01:39 PM
anyway of cleaning it out.
Ya it's only a couple hundy if your not handy. Ask Aaron about the 180 temp.
Mine usualy run in the 150 range.

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
check the drive oil bottle on the top of the intake manifold, port side. this got us for a while. kept beeping intermitenly but showed not lack of performance.
Ryan
checked (full) i just change the oil the weekend before that trip. i know the oil is full.

That Guy
07-14-2006, 01:43 PM
He's talking drive oil.....clear reservoir with a greenish fluid (drive oil)...mine did the same thing at one point and it was low on drive oil. Topped it off and no more beeping. Might have an air bubble or something....oh and my 496 ho runs at about 180 as well....hope you find it. :)

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:44 PM
iam a pretty handy guy,if not my father in law is a mechanic. what do u have to do to clean it. the boat is always at 180 since i brought it.

ParkerSteve
07-14-2006, 01:45 PM
if the impellor is starting to break up , you could find pieces at the entrance of the oil cooler. Pull the hose going to the oil cooler from the pump, just the cooler side and look for rubber pieces. If yes, its off to the shop, if not then take the previous advise and have it computer checked..If you have smartcraft on board you should see 3lbs of drive pressure at idle, 22 at speed.
What ever don't let it overheat.........steve

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:46 PM
He's talking drive oil.....clear reservoir with a greenish fluid (drive oil)...mine did the same thing at one point and it was low on drive oil. Topped it off and no more beeping. Might have an air bubble or something....oh and my 496 ho runs at about 180 as well....hope you find it. :)
chacked (full)

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-14-2006, 01:47 PM
iam a pretty handy guy,if not my father in law is a mechanic. what do u have to do to clean it. the boat is always at 180 since i brought it.
I know nothing and am behind a desk my whole life. I am the one to spend a couple hundy :rollside:

Biglue
07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
My 496HO runs at about 180 degrees also. I think that's the norm for that motor. I have seen some slight deviation of about +/- 10 degrees a couple times though.
Hey DM25Advantage. One thing my boat had was a straight rubber hose from the intake on the outdrive to the water pump. It was supposed to be a wire re-enforced radiator type hose (for lack of the proper term). What was happening was as the engine heat built up it softened the hose and the vacumm created by the pump was actually collapsing the hose at a slight bend and starving the motor of water. That is when I saw big variations in motor temps. This actually killed one impellar on me. Next time your boat is in for work, you may want to ask them to look into that hose. Weird occurance but I thought it had some relevance to your experience. Good Luck.

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
I know nothing and am behind a desk my whole life. I am the one to spend a couple hundy :rollside:
me too

Debbolas
07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
yes
:skull:

Partycattin
07-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Ryan
That happened to me last weekend, but only when taking off from a stop. When the bow raised the fluid would run to the back of the reservoir and set off the alarm. I love this type of "easy fix".

Partycattin
07-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Good thoughts but you are all wrong.
This is obviously a case of operator error. This guy drives as well as he types and spells. A total Jackhole.

TRUMP TIGHT
07-14-2006, 02:33 PM
their

Not So Fast
07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Have you ever lost an impeller? If so and they didnt flush and/or find all the parts to it then this is what happens, run it hard and a piece gets picked up and blocks a passage and over heat, you stop and the pressure lessens and no problem. On and on, so maybe a flush is in order, Just an idea, good luck. Oh, my 496ho runs at 160 mostly. NSF

AirtimeLavey
07-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I have 502 mag, efi, and similar scenario. I have pulled the drive oil wire, water temp., and oil press. wires independently, and still got the beep. No perf. issues. Thinking it's tied to the depth finder.
Merc says to check the 10 pin harness at the motor. They say to look for the blue/tan lead. Started happening after I had a starter changed, so maybe that's the issue. Perhaps a wire is shorting. It's annoying as hell.
Shop I go to, couldn't reproduce the beeping at the shop, but I get it when I'm out on the water. They rigged a quick disconnect, that was supposed to be from the depth finder, but I think they inadvertantly just did it to the sounder lead, so that's no help. I've gotta get under there and look. Did disc. the sounder, last time out, and had no issues and no beeping. Just watched the gauges real closely.
Good luck, and post when you solve the mystery.

Debbolas
07-14-2006, 02:44 PM
yes

BajaMike
07-14-2006, 02:58 PM
The on thing that sounds weird is your jump in temperature but maybe you confused it turning it off and on so much. If you were at full throttle with all that weight in the heat it could just be that you were overrevving it. Check Merc's website the HO top rpm is around 5150 rpm I believe but I'm probably not exact. If you try to go over that then engine protects itself and won't overrev but it beeps at you to let you know. What were your RPM's? Try doing it again if you don't know and see what your RPM's are. Only other option is to go to Absolute Speed & Marine and have them hook up the scan tool to your computer and tell you why it beeped.
What he said is worth thinking about....what rpm are you running?? If you are driving at wide open throttle for long or at or close to 5150 rpms for more then a few minutes, your engine isn't going to last long.
If you are at wide open throttle with a heavy load and not close to the red line rpm (5150), you are over propped and will damage your engine.
If you can easily go over 5150 at wide open throttle, you are under propped, and will damage your engine if you drive over red line (that's why the alarm goes off).
They can put it on the computer and tell you exactly what is wrong.
:idea:

BajaMike
07-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Good thoughts but you are all wrong.
This is obviously a case of operator error. This guy drives as well as he types and spells. A total Jackhole.
I missed something...who is "all wrong" and "a total Jackhole"??:confused:
:cool: :rollside: :)

Debbolas
07-14-2006, 03:04 PM
what?

That Guy
07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I missed something...who is "all wrong" and "a total Jackhole"??:confused:
:cool: :rollside: :)
I guess I missed it as well???

Debbolas
?

That Guy
Although I do really like any post that uses "jackhole" :p :crossx:

Debbolas
07-14-2006, 03:09 PM
is that like a jack a lope?

TRUMP TIGHT
07-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Deb you'll never do it!!

Debbolas
07-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I am allmost there!!!

TRUMP TIGHT
07-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I am allmost there!!!
sorry

Debbolas
07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
it's ok :skull:

TRUMP TIGHT
07-14-2006, 03:13 PM
sorry

Debbolas
07-14-2006, 03:25 PM
no you're not

dm25advantage
07-14-2006, 04:46 PM
What he said is worth thinking about....what rpm are you running?? If you are driving at wide open throttle for long or at or close to 5150 rpms for more then a few minutes, your engine isn't going to last long.
If you are at wide open throttle with a heavy load and not close to the red line rpm (5150), you are over propped and will damage your engine.
If you can easily go over 5150 at wide open throttle, you are under propped, and will damage your engine if you drive over red line (that's why the alarm goes off).
i dont drive it wide open for a long period of time. i have a 496ho with a raylar kit(its been good to to me for two season now, knock on wood.)iam running a 28p prop. i never hit 5150 rpm. myabe 4900 to 5000

Sotally Tober
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
For you guys with smartcraft you might be interested in what I put in my boat. A Navman GPS/fishfinder. It links to the smartcraft and I can pull all the engine codes out. It tells me in laymans terms each code and at what hour it happened. I thought that was pretty bitchen for my HO. Did not know I had thrown any codes.

Ultracrazy
07-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Okee......my 496 HO tops out at 4750 rpm (wot). I have a 26p.........are you saying that's not good for my motor? What pitch should I be running?

Second "PLACE"
07-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Okee......my 496 HO tops out at 4750 rpm (wot). I have a 26p.........are you saying that's not good for my motor? What pitch should I be running?
You might want to look into it. My 496HO runs about 5200 RPM at WOT with the same stock prop. I too have had the heat exchanger plug with sand and cause the same problem. Very easy to clean out the exchanger yourself. Remove both side covers and flush.

dm25advantage
07-15-2006, 10:43 AM
24p would work great for u. iam running 28p and i think iam over propped.

dm25advantage
07-15-2006, 10:45 AM
You might want to look into it. My 496HO runs about 5200 RPM at WOT with the same stock prop. I too have had the heat exchanger plug with sand and cause the same problem. Very easy to clean out the exchanger yourself. Remove both side covers and flush.
remove what? i know nothing about motors.

Raylar
07-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Guy's, I know sometimes $400 for a tool is a bit much when its taking all the extra money to fill the tank, but the Rhinda Mercruiser scan tool sure makes owning a 496 Merc a lot more relaxing. I think Merc should include these with every 496Mag or HO sold, but they sure don't listen to me! If you've got buddies with 496"s buy a group one and share it when needed. Hope you find the beep, doesn't sound serious. I also think good strainers on Havasu boats is a must when you consider the one time cost to rebuild raw water pump and the bummer of an early weekend breakdown or damage from overheating.
Ray @ Raylar

KoolPop
07-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Same exact speed? Maybe you hit the rev-limiter.

KACHINA KEN
07-16-2006, 08:37 AM
It can't hurt for you to add a sea strainer though, better to clog it up then wait til it gets internal.

Decided Advantage
08-08-2006, 04:10 AM
I've had a similar situation. At an idle I get an alarm that beeps about once a second. Temp shows normal at around 180, oil pressure is good. Water spraying out of the exhaust, oil 1/2 a quart down, drive is a touch below the line. Who knows?
I do know that with less than 20 hours on their 496HO, I wish I'd gone another direction.
I'm sure the reason Mercury does such a crappy job on the alarms is to sell the ugly smartcraft system. It not the perfromance boaters don't want good engine management, it that we don't want a clump that looks like an obsolete fish finder screwed to the middle of our dash!
And to think if Az Speed and marine's rep was better I'd have their 572 EFI under the hatch instead.

Raylar
08-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Decided Advantage:
Don't be so quick to blame the 496 you've got. the guardian system can save your pocketbook from expensive damage that would probably really ruin your boating. The single beep you hear on start up should be once and then it stops, that's just to show the guardian system is active and working. If it keeps beeping then it could just mean you've got a sensor or wire thats loose or not connected properly. If it were a more serious issue, the guardian system would start pulling the power of the motor back to protect your engine. If the power is 100%, then this beep is not serious, just saying that somethings not quite as it should be. If your boats on warranty, just have a Merc shop put the scan tool on and they can identify the trouble code and show whats causing the beep. You would not be really happy if you had someone elses brand of motor without guardian and you grenaded the engine because you were not being warned of a potential problem. "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."
Ray @ Raylar

Decided Advantage
08-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Decided Advantage:
Don't be so quick to blame the 496 you've got. the guardian system can save your pocketbook from expensive damage that would probably really ruin your boating. The single beep you hear on start up should be once and then it stops, that's just to show the guardian system is active and working. If it keeps beeping then it could just mean you've got a sensor or wire thats loose or not connected properly. If it were a more serious issue, the guardian system would start pulling the power of the motor back to protect your engine. If the power is 100%, then this beep is not serious, just saying that somethings not quite as it should be. If your boats on warranty, just have a Merc shop put the scan tool on and they can identify the trouble code and show whats causing the beep. You would not be really happy if you had someone elses brand of motor without guardian and you grenaded the engine because you were not being warned of a potential problem. "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."
Ray @ Raylar
Point taken.
Hard to tell what I'm running into and just a bit frustrated. Maybe I'll have to pop for the tool.

Dave C
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
my buddy had the same problem. Check the ten pin harness connector on the back of the motor.... it should not be loose.
If it came loose check all the connections.
My buddy had his come loose and then one of the connections broke. So when they pushed it back together it would not work. They had to fix the broken connector that's inside the harness.
I am gonna rig something up to hold the connector together so that it cannot come apart. It wiggles loose from all the bouncing around. :yuk:

phebus
08-08-2006, 10:03 AM
All you need is to put a hose clamp around it.

Jesster
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
As per the Mercruiser manual 4 things can cause the beeping
1. engine oil pressure
2. engine temp to hot
3. Seawater pressure to low
an intermittent beep will sound if
4. sterndrive oil is to low
We have a simliar problem the beep sounds 2 times with a slight pause in the middle. Checked the sterndirive oil level and it was a little low. Filled it and thought everything was ok. The next day it started again but when it would beep it would also feel like it was missing then it would come out of it. Does it every once in a while but only lasts for a few seconds. The engine temp is always in the 160 to 170 range and oil pressure is always good. I am thinking it is probably the water pressure being to low and the engine is dialing back to 90% power via the engine gaurdian system. Next trip out I think I will check the impellar and clean the heat exchanger. I think I saw a post on cleaning it recently. Hope that helps.

Beer-30
08-08-2006, 01:55 PM
A sensor unplugged/dead will cause intermittent beep. I had that when I bought the boat. All fluids good. Water pump good. Checked codes. One was for "exh water temp". Checked starboard sensor, fine. Checked port sensor - was unplugged! Plugged it back in, no more beep.