PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Slider doors

LHC Kirby
01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
I am looking to replace some doors with New and improved double pane sliders....any one have a connection? Replacing french doors, so it does not fall under the "standard size". :cool:
Looking for feedback on pro's and con's of your experience. :idea:

cc322
01-08-2006, 07:55 PM
I just bought some fron Ganahl Lumber in Lake Forest they are Milgard. Some of mine were special order. I got two windows One bathroom window and two french sliders for 3,100.00. Still deciding If I want to put them in or pay someone, I have gotten quotes for labor around 2,500.00 to 2,700.00 seems kinda high to me, this included stucco patch. FYI mine are not the retro but nail on, they are more expensive.

Ivan Dan
01-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I am looking to replace some doors with New and improved double pane sliders....any one have a connection? Replacing french doors, so it does not fall under the "standard size". :cool:
PM blackcloud75 here on the boards he was just telling me the other day his better halfs MIL is a contractor and does windows and doors.

hoolign
01-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd go with the Shockwavebob doors! they are twice the pain as any other door! Although they could never be improved on and are "Mexican" not french! and they are "huge"!
:p

al cole'holic
01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
tcook33 is a door and window dealer and has alot of experience in the building trade, shoot him a PM :rollside:

tcook33
01-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm a dealer up here in Ventura County. We don't go that far south, but depending on your situation, we could order the doors and have them delivered to you. You would have to handle the install though. Let me know if I can help.

THATJEFFGUY
01-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm a dealer up here in Ventura County. We don't go that far south, but depending on your situation, we could order the doors and have them delivered to you. You would have to handle the install though. Let me know if I can help.
Hey tcook...do you go as far south as Palmdale ?? I have a house that I need new retro-fit windows installed there.

thesunking
01-08-2006, 10:47 PM
If you haven't found anyone yet, I have a friend that I went to apprenticeship school with for the Glaziers and Glass workers training center through our union. Chance Hardy (Owner) branched out on his own and works out of the OC. Has been in business for well over 6+ years. He should be able to give you a competitive rate as the scope of work you mentioned is his expertise.
Two locations:
Anaheim
Lake Forest
http://hardywindows.com/

tcook33
01-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey tcook...do you go as far south as Palmdale ?? I have a house that I need new retro-fit windows installed there.
Palmdale is "north" of us....
Not usually, but it depends...PM me with the info.
Terry

rivercrazy
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd stay away from Vinyl. They just don't hold up over the long haul. Go with Aluminum or a wood framed door like Anderson. I have Anderson sliding glass doors in my house. Best ones I've ever used

little rowe boat
01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I replaced all of the doors in my place with nice custom wood sliders from Home depot. The company they contract with is Fine finish.

tcook33
01-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I'd stay away from Vinyl. They just don't hold up over the long haul. Go with Aluminum or a wood framed door like Anderson. I have Anderson sliding glass doors in my house. Best ones I've ever used
Long haul? How long you talking here? 5 years? 50 years? Vinyl lasts long enough. You'll be ready to upgrade before the vinyl fails. Plus the vinyl look is a lot better than the aluminum. They both will last much, much longer than wood. Wood is the nicest, and with the proper maintnenence will last you a while, but wood is the worst for "the long haul".
Retro-fit Milgard vinyl doors as opposed to an vinyl clad wood slider by Anderson???? Huge difference in cost...I assume he has a budget. He's replacing six of them, so it get's spendy. Anderson doesn't even make an aluminum product. They're all vinyl clad or just wood.

ROZ
01-09-2006, 03:35 PM
I have 4 pr wood french door on my house.. I take real good care of them, but sanding and revarnishing them every year..
They look the best...
Like you said, it really depends on the guy's budget... There are good and cheap vinly products... Some look and are made much beter than others...
I think mine are Pella... They were put on y house about 10yrs before we moved in... That was 7 years ago...

tcook33
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I have 4 pr wood french door on my house.. I take real good care of them, but sanding and revarnishing them every year..
They look the best...
Like you said, it really depends on the guy's budget... There are good and cheap vinly products... Some look and are made much beter than others...
I think mine are Pella... They were put on y house about 10yrs before we moved in... That was 7 years ago...
Pella's are nice. It just depends on budget. I'll put Marvin's in every house all day long if everyone had a blank check. They are the best window out there. They cost a lot of $$ though.

ROZ
01-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Pella's are nice. It just depends on budget. I'll put Marvin's in every house all day long if everyone had a blank check. They are the best window out there. They cost a lot of $$ though.
Marvin, eh?

rivercrazy
01-09-2006, 04:15 PM
My experience with Vinyl sliding glass doors is the frames especially around the door handles is weak. Aluminum is much more durable. And you can get it powdercoated to look pretty nice
As for Anderson's - I was referring more to their vinyl clad product. Vinyl coated wood on the outside and wood on the inside. Nice product. But like you said - spendy

tcook33
01-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Marvin, eh?
Si...Marvin...Ever heard of em? Muy Bueno....
http://www.marvin.com/