PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo Gale Banks Info.

sawtooth
07-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Hey Guys I listed my Dads 2 twin turbo BBC motors on eBay this weekend for him. Not sure how to do the link thingy but the item # is 280007882035 if anyone wants to check them out. Pretty cheep for two complete motors....but thats just my opinion and I know what that is worth :cry: .
Thanks, Chris.

GofastRacer
07-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Here ya go!.
Banks! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280007882035&ru=http://motors.search.ebay.com:80/280007882035_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1)

sawtooth
07-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks GOFAST you da MAN.

sawtooth
07-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry, have had alot of offers like this but pops does not want to split them up. The last two motors that were on eBay like these both had resevers on them and bidding went to $6100.00 on one and I think $6300.00 on the other and neither one met the reserve. You could get both of these for $6800.00 for the pair sell one for close to that and it would be like getting a free motor :) .

obnoxious001
07-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Sorry, have had alot of offers like this but pops does not want to split them up. The last two motors that were on eBay like these both had resevers on them and bidding went to $6100.00 on one and I think $6300.00 on the other and neither one met the reserve. You could get both of these for $6800.00 for the pair sell one for close to that and it would be like getting a free motor :) .
If you are getting lots of offers on single engines, maybe he should relist them separately? Its seems like he might have a better chance of getting bidders for one engine, and the total price would end up higher.

sawtooth
07-18-2006, 08:43 AM
If you are getting lots of offers on single engines, maybe he should relist them separately? Its seems like he might have a better chance of getting bidders for one engine, and the total price would end up higher.
I use the term lots loosely, been more like a couple but maybe your right Berry we will have to wait and see what happens. If they don't move at auction this time I can try listing them each and see what happens. Dad just wants them out of the way and a little money back in his savings.
Chris.

mondorally
07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Any of the turbo guys (obnoxious01, unleashed, mkeeline, etc.) have any additional info on this setup? Potential, drawbacks, etc.? Would these be a good starting place if one ultimately wanted to build a fuel injected TT motor?
Sawtooth - if I read the what you've written correctly the motors have no reserve with a starting bid of $6,800.00? Seems like a smokin' deal at that price!
-Justin

mondorally
07-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Sawtooth -
One more thing - any idea as to how tough it would be to switch the turbo layout for a I/O instead of a v-drive?
Thanks
Justin

obnoxious001
07-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Justin
Those early Banks systems are a cheap way to gain power reliably on an engine smaller than 500 inches. I would not try to use them to make large gains. The difference in using one for an I/O engine would be the boost tubes will not line up correctly when you reverse everything on the engine, due to the angle of the intercooler sitting on the intake.
I have been trying to recall who had a big Campbell with the Banks engines. There were a lot of 20 footers,, and some 24's, and I think I remember one 32 twin engine. Campbell was pretty big in the late 70's when those Banks turbo systems were so popular.

MKEELINE
07-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Sawtooth,
If you don't sell them as a pair you should definetly list them individually. What ever you do DON'T try to sell the turbo kits by themselves. I sold a similiar kit awhile back and pretty much gave it away, I should have just kept it :cry: .
Mondorally or anyone looking for turbo help,
Barry(obnoxious001) is the man. He's very knowledgable and a good guy. You like way I volunteer you Barry :) ?

victorfb
07-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Justin
Those early Banks systems are a cheap way to gain power reliably on an engine smaller than 500 inches. I would not try to use them to make large gains. The difference in using one for an I/O engine would be the boost tubes will not line up correctly when you reverse everything on the engine, due to the angle of the intercooler sitting on the intake.
I have been trying to recall who had a big Campbell with the Banks engines. There were a lot of 20 footers,, and some 24's, and I think I remember one 32 twin engine. Campbell was pretty big in the late 70's when those Banks turbo systems were so popular.
would the angles be so far off that new tubes couldnt be fabricated to work? in a way i kind of like the fact that the system is in front of the engine. leaves more room for tuning, and inspecting/lubricating the drive.

obnoxious001
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
New tubes could be fabricated, in fact, that is the way the kits differed when they were sold. While I was working for Banks, the tubes were cut and welded at an outside vendor, and then taken to another vendor who did the plating.

mondorally
07-18-2006, 11:07 AM
would the angles be so far off that new tubes couldnt be fabricated to work? in a way i kind of like the fact that the system is in front of the engine. leaves more room for tuning, and inspecting/lubricating the drive.
I would agree except that I have a #4 speedmaster w/powerglide trans in a 22' Schiada. The motor is already up pretty far forward, plus a blower belt, and this looks to have even more overhang. As obnoxious001 mentioned, doesn't seem like too much to fab some new boost tubes to get the install going in the right direction, so to speak.....
http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/b6/5b/53_1.JPG
-Justin

victorfb
07-18-2006, 11:20 AM
thats what i figured. seems to be a pretty easy task. wish i had the money for em, one of those would be interesting in the 20' kachina jet im building. let me know if you decide to seperate them.

Ryphraph
07-18-2006, 05:19 PM
One of those would be awesome in my 1970 Hallett v-drive.
No money though...
Ryph

sawtooth
07-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Any of the turbo guys (obnoxious01, unleashed, mkeeline, etc.) have any additional info on this setup? Potential, drawbacks, etc.? Would these be a good starting place if one ultimately wanted to build a fuel injected TT motor?
Sawtooth - if I read the what you've written correctly the motors have no reserve with a starting bid of $6,800.00? Seems like a smokin' deal at that price!
-Justin
Justin, you have read it right, no reserve and a starting bid of only $6,800.00. Thats only $3,400.00 for each motor. I saw just the turbo setup go for $1,800.00 a year or so ago on eBay. Alot of people told my dad to "just part them out, you will make a bunch more money". I did not think so and he just wants them gone, he is retired and on a fixed income and needs to replenish the boat fund so he can finish the resto. I hope they sell for his sake.
Thanks, Chris.

sawtooth
07-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Sawtooth,
If you don't sell them as a pair you should definetly list them individually. What ever you do DON'T try to sell the turbo kits by themselves. I sold a similiar kit awhile back and pretty much gave it away, I should have just kept it :cry: .
Mondorally or anyone looking for turbo help,
Barry(obnoxious001) is the man. He's very knowledgable and a good guy. You like way I volunteer you Barry :) ?
MKEELINE, I think I saw it, was that the setup that had exhaust for Chevy and a Ford. If it was that went way to cheep.
Chris.

sawtooth
07-19-2006, 09:41 PM
One of those would be awesome in my 1970 Hallett v-drive.
No money though...
Ryph
The pic of the Hallett in your avtar looks just like the one my Dad had when I was about 2. I used to get to sit on his lap and steer cruzing the parker strip (at least I thought I was steering back then), thats been a long time ago since I was bit by the boating bug. My Dads was white with a metalic green dart on the side and a dark walnut deck, it was called "Green $tuff". It had one of the first 396ci motors in So. Cal. that he got from his friend Ralph who ran Nicsion Marine, they got it from GM for doing mock up and when they were done he got it for the Hallet flat. Lot of fun in that boat till mom got piched out, had to sell it and bought the first family crusier, a 21' Campbell. Sorry for rambling, just alot of memories.
Chris.

Ryphraph
07-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the memories Sawtooth!
I bought this one about 4 years ago in all original condition, interior, gel and the original motor. Mine is a semi-v though. I let my kids drive it like that too.
Ryph

sawtooth
07-22-2006, 10:37 PM
OK People's, this is the last weekend to bid on eBay for this two motor deal keep one for yourself and give the other one to somebody and be their best friend :rollside: .......or I guess you could sell one. Thanks for looking and all your questions it has been fun, good luck and I hope it works out for somebody or a couple of people that partner up or whatever.
Thanks again, Chris.

victorfb
07-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Chris, i like the way you think, but i seriously doubt the winner is going to GIVE one away.lol but if someone needs a new best friend im first in line. partnering up isnt a bad idea though. :)

mondorally
07-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Bump with 1 hour left!
-Justin

victorfb
07-24-2006, 09:11 AM
you bumped yourself right out of the winning bid spot.

mondorally
07-24-2006, 09:19 AM
you bumped yourself right out of the winning bid spot.
I was already outbid and figured they should get the max possible! $7,701 was the winning number. Still a good deal!
-Justin

victorfb
07-24-2006, 09:45 AM
the winning bidder has a ton of feedback scores. he would have out bid anyone at the last second im sure. thats why i dont do ebay. too many "professional" bidders with "tools of the trade". congadulations John, you got almost a grand more than your asking price. now get that campbell running and go have fun on the lake.