PDA

View Full Version : Trex Decking...

al cole'holic
07-17-2006, 09:08 AM
...hate to do it but need it gone! I have 2"x6"x20'ers..about 22 of em. If anyone wants em, fill me up on CL's and bring the work truck with the rack!! :)

al cole'holic
07-17-2006, 10:24 AM
www.trex.com
...this decking is 5 years old, no issues at all..I had this on the second story balcony which I recently converted to a complete enclosed patio cover (reason for removal) :)

al cole'holic
07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
ttt

Legal Chemistry
07-17-2006, 05:19 PM
check your pm. thanks

al cole'holic
07-17-2006, 05:51 PM
..couple of pics :)
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/trex1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/trex2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/trex3.jpg
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/trex4.jpg
The underside is what the original color was, a light beige but after a few summers the gray is where it ends up...

Legal Chemistry
07-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I'll take it!

al cole'holic
07-17-2006, 06:05 PM
...we'll call it gone :)

JB in so cal
07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I had a big pile of TREX in the front yard and someone came by and dumped some 22' redwood 2" X 6"'s; after he dumped 'em, he looked at me like I was somekind of "recycler" or "conservationist".
Why all the hate for us TREX Racing peeps? We're just tryin' to get by... :)

rivercrazy
07-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I built 2 pretty large trex decks at the river. I would never use any other material to build decks with. That stuff is awesome. Holds up to intense heat, intense cold, wind, rain, traffic, etc very very well. And doesn't need paint, sealer, etc.

Outnumbered
07-17-2006, 10:08 PM
How long has your deck been in? Looks like its spanned 3 feet??? Just wondering on how wavy it got. Stuff likes to sag and wave when its spanned out too far. Otherwise, awesone stuff. Makes a great dock material too.

YeLLowBoaT
07-17-2006, 11:03 PM
FYI with trex you can go no further then 12" on center, or your warrenty is gone. you must also use thier skrewes( pretty much standard for engeneered products) Even with 12" on center it will warp. I have been talking with a friend of mine that only builds decks. He has told me that you have to go 8" on center with trex or it will warp.
I personally hate the stuff. There are a coulpe of other products out there that are not solid that are very nice products, you can treat them like red wood... it just is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and you have to be very careful skrewing it down. If you go thry the top your pulling it.
IMO the extra cost, limited selction of colors/railing, and all the other "warrenty" bs. Makes it a waste.
PS I really liked the stuff, until I built a deck with it.

Outnumbered
07-18-2006, 12:55 AM
FYI with trex you can go no further then 12" on center, or your warrenty is gone. you must also use thier skrewes( pretty much standard for engeneered products) Even with 12" on center it will warp. I have been talking with a friend of mine that only builds decks. He has told me that you have to go 8" on center with trex or it will warp.
I personally hate the stuff. There are a coulpe of other products out there that are not solid that are very nice products, you can treat them like red wood... it just is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and you have to be very careful skrewing it down. If you go thry the top your pulling it.
IMO the extra cost, limited selction of colors/railing, and all the other "warrenty" bs. Makes it a waste.
PS I really liked the stuff, until I built a deck with it.
No offense that that is not true. They have been using this stuff for years in Arrowhead and Big Bear and it won't warp if you use the span specs which are up to 24" with 2x6. I have seen it on 100's of houses and docks and the only time I have seen it warp is when someone pulls out some Doug Fir decking that was spanned 36-48" and slaps Trex down with no additional joists. Also, they don't require special screws...
From Trex website...
What types of fasteners are recommended for Trex decking? Do screws need to be pre-drilled?
Virtually any deck fasteners work well with Trex decking. We recommend high quality screws or nails, such as stainless steel, ceramic coated or hot dipped galvanized to take advantage of Trex decking's longevity. As with wood, spiral shank nails provide better holding in Trex decking than do common nails. Pre-drilling is generally not required if you use self-tapping or deck screws. Nail guns also work quite well.
What joist spans should I use for my deck when using Trex decking?
For Trex 5/4x6 deck boards, the joist spacing should be no more than 16" on center for residential applications, which is the same span generally recommended for wood. Trex 2x material should be installed at no more than 20" on center for residential applications and no more than 16" on center for commercial projects. A high strength 2x6 product is available for 24" spans. When installing Trex deck boards on a 45 degree diagonal to the joists, reduce spans by a minimum of 4 inches. Special applications/loading conditions will require engineering analysis and/or reduced spans.

YeLLowBoaT
07-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Well out here it warps like crazy...Then again we get alot more rain then you do. Which does play a big part of it. I know of 3 decks with in 10 houses of me that I have personally had to go under and add 2x6s in the middle of 16" centers to try to straitin out the warp.

al cole'holic
07-18-2006, 07:29 AM
..my span was over the limit which made it a bit wavy while in use, and also more wavy in the heat rather than the cold if you can believe it. Since being removed it has taken the shape of the flat ground...I removed it because I hated not being able to utilize the patio below in the winter months due to rain coming through, so I had the entire patio cover t&g'd and sealed up water tight with www.lifedeck.com 3 part waterproofing system on top.

Outnumbered
07-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Well out here it warps like crazy...Then again we get alot more rain then you do. Which does play a big part of it. I know of 3 decks with in 10 houses of me that I have personally had to go under and add 2x6s in the middle of 16" centers to try to straitin out the warp.
Actually, I have never seen it in AZ. I'm talking about when I was appraising in SoCal. I used to live in Lake Arrowhead. Stuff worked great in the rain, snow, etc. I just don't care for the look, but it is quality stuff that runs over $2/lf so this is a great deal for someone. Free=good :D

rivercrazy
07-18-2006, 07:59 AM
I installed trex on 2X8's 16" on center. Absolutely no warping at all. Even in the intense sun and heat at the river. Even after over 5 summers/winters, it was not showing any wear
And the stuff is great to work with. Cuts super clean with no splintering. I countersunk all my deck screws and it came out very sano.

Legal Chemistry
07-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Sorry Alc... I'm not able to pick it up this weekend (and the late notice). Family ties extended a bit later than I thought. Hopefully someone can help you out (and hep themselves.) Thanks again and good luck...
-Justin