PDA

View Full Version : Mom suing Seadoo for 48 mil in death of daughter

2Driver
07-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Anyone catch this today?
Mom suing Sea-doo for 48 million for 12 year olds daughter's death in FL. Daughter wanted to try jet skiing Mom said essentially "no" but some day we will do it as a family. Mom leaves water front home to go shopping and daughter cons a Sea-doo owner into a ride then into a short solo run. She nails it and drives into a dock and kills herself.
Now Mom is suing Seadoo as there was not a warning sticker on the Sea-doo. Jury was deadlocked today. What's to be deadlocked about? :rolleyes:

HavasuSelect
07-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Someone should sue the mom for leaving her daughter unattended.

plaster dave
07-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Anyone catch this today?
Mom suing Sea-doo for 48 million for 12 year olds daughter's death in FL. Daughter wanted to try jet skiing Mom said essentially "no" but some day we will do it as a family. Mom leaves water front home to go shopping and daughter cons a Sea-doo owner into a ride then into a short solo run. She nails it and drives into a dock and kills herself.
Now Mom is suing Seadoo as there was not a warning sticker on the Sea-doo. Jury was deadlocked today. What's to be deadlocked about? :rolleyes:
Are you kidding me.

Drift
07-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Anyone catch this today?
The thing that pisses me off sooooooooooo much is that there is no accountability anymore. The fact that the system lets BS lawsuits go to trial is making me sick. Yes it is absolutely horific and on an emotional level I could see this swinging for the family. The fact that it deadlocked is just plain wrong. The parents should not be allowed to profit from ther negligable parenting skills and or their daughters disobedience (God wrest her soul). I'm now at a lack of words. Mourn her loss and angry at the parents but how is Seadoo liable...... :cry: :mad:

2Driver
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
You have to 14 according the the news report. The guy was a local home owner along the waterfront not a rental company. Mom says that if there was a "no" under 16 warning she would not have gotten on it.
Sorry about the loss but take ownership Mom :rolleyes:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Let's hope the jury sets a precedent that the company is not liable and nip this crud in the bud.
My daughter found a funny quote that said "If guns kill people, can I blame misspelled words on my pencil?"
How profound. :D

Debbolas
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Let's hope the jury sets a precedent that the company is not liable and nip this crud in the bud.
My daughter found a funny quote that said "If guns kill people, can I blame misspelled words on my pencil?"
How profound. :D
That's a good one:D

RitcheyRch
07-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Will be interesting to see the outcome of this. Can only imagine will end up being like the old 3 wheel ATC's.

Roxysnow
07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Why do you think there is a sticker on a lawn mower with a hand being chopped off if you stick your hand under the mower! Sea doo will lose for neglegence! No common sense anymore! :mad:

CARLSON-JET
07-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Why is she not suing the dock manufacturer? Why have there been no charges filed against her for child neglect? Charges against neighbor? Had there not been gas in the sea-doo maybe her daughter would still be alive. She should go after opec what ever country the oil originated from and the tanker, refiner and station that sold it.. HMMM, maybe the neighbor used a gas can?? The jurors must be the same folks who can't operate a voting machine... Sad day indeed.

kcvega
07-17-2006, 04:00 PM
The daughter already had a "no" warning, not like a sticker would have stopped her either. It's just f'ing ridiculous.

Cheap Thrills
07-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Thats like slipping on dog poop in your neighbors yard and then sueing Alpo for making their dogs shit too greasy without a warning label on the can that says "CAUTION May make.......... oh hell nevermind Ive gone tooooo far already . :D
C.T. :wink:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-17-2006, 04:08 PM
The daughter already had a "no" warning, not like a sticker would have stopped her either. It's just f'ing ridiculous.
Good point. If a "no" from mom wasn't good enough, why would a "no" from the company (someone she doesn't know and will never meet) be?

Tom Brown
07-17-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm going to sue Hooli for contributing to my moral decay. Let's face it, the guy is a molar that should have been pulled years ago.

pixilatedpussy
07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Horrible indeed!! Sounds like mom needs to blame someone for her negligence! :mad: People who leave lil ones home alone...take a serious risk of them doing something wrong.....so sad....I guess I will just stay an overprotective mom!
God be with that family & hopefully the judge will throw this out!

Devil's Advocate
07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
That's very devastating to hear but I agree that the parents have to take responsibility to know what that child is doing and to ensure the safety of that child. Accidents do happen of coarse, but this really wasn't an accident. How sad.. :frown:

soupersonic
07-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm going to sue Hooli for contributing to my moral decay. Let's face it, the guy is a molar that should have been pulled years ago.
That should be a class action suit .

Tom Brown
07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
This Mom could well deserve a berating for blaming her problems on Bombardier but she may have had little to do with the behavior of her daughter.
The child could have been raised in ways that society deems improper but there are 12 year old children that could not be controlled, short of keeping them rope-a-doped around the clock... which some of the goth types would probably enjoy.
I'm just saying that 12 year olds want to try things out and they've got most/all of the physical skills of an adult and many of them have the sensibilities to handle things like this.
I know a couple of children of good, caring Moms who have stolen Mom's car at 14 and gone joyriding. One women I know woken in the night and answered the door to find a police officer and her son waiting. The officer explained that the son had taken the car to which she replied, "How could he have done that, he doesn't know how to drive?" A few years later she was forced to the realization that her son was a bad-ass and was completely out of control. I can tell you that this is a wonderful woman with outstanding morals and values. One of the best quality people I know.
... so it could happen to anybody.

Tom Brown
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
That should be a class action suit .
I'm looking for appropriate compensation for the loss of my morals. That comes to $1.75 CDN.

***boat
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
http://dallas.injuryboard.com/defective-products/seadoo-manufacturer-settles-wrongful-death-suit.php
This is somewhat old news, it happened in 1999, and the case settled out of court sometime before February 2006.

Tom Brown
07-17-2006, 04:23 PM
This is somewhat old news....
Hey... don't dampen our outrage. :mad:

pixilatedpussy
07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
http://dallas.injuryboard.com/defective-products/seadoo-manufacturer-settles-wrongful-death-suit.php
This is somewhat old news, it happened in 1999, and the case settled out of court sometime before February 2006.
So..........they settled??? :rolleyes:

Desert Rat
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Let me get this straight... Moms argument is Mom says NO, neighbor says yes, daughter decides to ride anyway BUT if daughter would have read a sticker that stated 16 she would have decided not to ride it?..... and it's Seadoo's fault???!!! :mad:

Mandelon
07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Don't loan out your PWC's.....or boats.

2Driver
07-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Pretty weird that was on CNN today. Maybe a rerun? They had the whole thing and interviews. Perhaps I was wasn't listening. I was delirious from being at Discount tire for 3 hours while they put on my new trailer tires :rollside:
Oh well doesn't change the story, it's still f'd

buzzaro
07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Im pretty sure that Isaac Newton fellow has a lawsuit coming his way.....if he hadnt made those damn laws of physics this tragedy could have been avoided!

Chipster27
07-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Don't loan out your PWC's.....or boats.
True-dat. I'll admit it, I'm lake lice, but I'm also a very responsible PWC owner. My SeaDoos will hit 70 and my wife and I have agreed to a "no kids" on the SeaDoos policy. In talking with my neighbor (had a boat and had SeaDoos) he would simply tell people that he signed an insurance waiver that stated he would not allow anyone else to ride his SeaDoos.
It's scary how fast they are making these things, and the fact that anyone can buy them without any kind of safety course or license.
The other irony is that no one has reservations about asking to ride your SeaDoos, but I've never seen someone ask another person to take out their boat. PWC are treated like toys to many, that's when the trouble starts.

sorry dog
07-17-2006, 06:28 PM
There are 5 elements to a negligent tort
1. Duty
2. Breach of duty
3. Causation
4. Proximate cause
5. Damages
...so let's apply it to this case.
1. Duty - Does Hooli have a duty to prevent Tom's moral decay? Normally I would say not, but since they are both Canadian this one is debatable...
2. Breach of Duty - If duty is in fact...then Hooli most definately breached it.
3. Causation - Hooli is definately a major cause of moral decay
4. Proximate Cause - Not sure about this one...Bench Racers could also be blamed for this, or HavasuBarney, or ScreamandFly, and possibly even Bran muffins.
5. Damages - the aforementioned $1.75 cdn or about $1.58.
So I'd say a possible case, but I believe Tom would be better off to mention several defendants such as Kim Hanson, Scream and Fly, and most definately Rexone for allowing such actions to take place.
...Did I mention that I'm for hire as an expert witness to moral decay?

Moneypitt
07-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Pretty weird that was on CNN today. Maybe a rerun? They had the whole thing and interviews. Perhaps I was wasn't listening. I was delirious from being at Discount tire for 3 hours while they put on my new trailer tires :rollside:
Oh well doesn't change the story, it's still f'd
It was on court tv today, all day? And the jury wasn't allowed to hear that the ski owner had settled out of court. Is this current? I couldn't read the fine print in the link, and why would it be in the Dallas paper if it happened in Fla.??????????MP

3 daytona`s
07-17-2006, 07:47 PM
When then old bat won judjment for millions some years ago from Mc Donalds for spilling hot coffee in her lap you can and probably win for anything. :rolleyes:

YeLLowBoaT
07-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah its Sea doos fualt.. :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
07-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Why Bombardier???
Because they have the deepest pockets... gotta go where the money is...

Hardly Satisfied
07-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Anyone catch this today?
saw some of it today on court tv

Dan Lorenze
07-18-2006, 04:05 AM
Funny how money helps ease the pain.

framer1
07-18-2006, 04:33 AM
The only possible good thing that could come out of this whole mess is Seadoo will go bankrupt and stop making them.

AltarGirl
07-18-2006, 05:12 AM
I can't believe someone like this is going to waster theirs & everyone else's time :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
07-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Cant see that happening although they might limit production of them or stop making the smaller 2 seater ones.
The only possible good thing that could come out of this whole mess is Seadoo will go bankrupt and stop making them.

rrrr
07-18-2006, 08:12 AM
You have to 14 according the the news report. The guy was a local home owner along the waterfront not a rental company. Mom says that if there was a "no" under 16 warning she would not have gotten on it.
Sorry about the loss but take ownership Mom :rolleyes:
I guess motor vehicle manufacturers are negligent too. I've never seen a sticker on a car that says "Must be over 16 to operate".
F*cking legal system is a perverted lottery. The juries play along, with dreams that someday they might be able to sue someone for big dough. :mad: :mad:

Jbb
07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
LMAO!!
Btw. Next time you are at a boat show look at a Yamaha twin jet boat....look at the sticker directly above the jet pump nozzles ...The one that says do not allow vaginal or anal orfice near jet blast.......any guess as to why that warning sticker exists... :p

Jordy
07-18-2006, 08:35 AM
LMAO!!
Btw. Next time you are at a boat show look at a Yamaha twin jet boat....look at the sticker directly above the jet pump nozzles ...The one that says do not allow vaginal or anal orfice near jet blast.......any guess as to why that warning sticker exists... :p
My buddy has one of those boats and we're thinking of pulling that sticker off and having t-shirts made. We still laugh everytime we read that sticker. I'm guessing someone got quite a rude awakening once upon a time hanging out back there. :220v: :crossx: :cool:

Jbb
07-18-2006, 08:38 AM
My buddy has one of those boats and we're thinking of pulling that sticker off and having t-shirts made. We still laugh everytime we read that sticker. I'm guessing someone got quite a rude awakening once upon a time hanging out back there. :220v: :crossx: :cool:
Jordy the visonary..... :p The T shirt Idea is an excellent one......as long as it doesnt fall under the new offensive attire ordinance....in which case you will be taken down hard...for conspiricy to commit.....Dont worry ...we will all chip in and send you some magazines while you are in the pen.... :p

Jordy
07-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Jordy the visonary..... :p The T shirt Idea is an excellent one......as long as it doesnt fall under the new offensive attire ordinance....in which case you will be taken down hard...for conspiricy to commit.....
Wow, good thinking JBB. Guess I'll have to have waivers made up releasing Team Turkey Inc. dba Team Turnkey from liability should any complaints arise from someone wearing a t-shirt. Apparently that's why we pay you the big bucks, right??? :D :D :D
p.s. RD SUX!!! :D :D :D

Jbb
07-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Wow, good thinking JBB. Guess I'll have to have waivers made up releasing Team Turkey Inc. dba Team Turnkey from liability should any complaints arise from someone wearing a t-shirt. Apparently that's why we pay you the big bucks, right??? :D :D :D
p.s. RD SUX!!! :D :D :D
"As is" waiver should make you golden....Go forth and earn...RD SUX!.... :p

TJRiver
07-18-2006, 08:54 AM
I read a court case here in Orange County where a gal fell backwards off a PWC operating at full throttle w/ her legs splayed. The force of the jet actually obliterated her female organs and then destroyed most of her lower GI tract. Young gal now gets to live the rest of her life w/ a colostomy bag and no ability to have kids..... Some of these claims have merit, some don't. The really bad ones never get past the summary judgment stage. The really good cases settle pretty quick. The ones that go to trial are either marginal or involve huge $ exposure. Hopefully a jury of 12 should be able to sort out whether the Fla. case is legit or not.
The gal who spilled hot Micky D's coffee had her huge award slashed on appeal. The systems still works. It may not be perfect, but its a hell of a lot better than the rest of the world. Everyone wants to bash on lawyers and the court system until they get screwed and then its time for the big legal guns.

Tom Brown
07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
...Did I mention that I'm for hire as an expert witness to moral decay?
For hire? How about a little pro bono philanthropy.

Tom Brown
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
.....Dont worry ...we will all chip in and send you some magazines while you are in the pen....
LMFAO! :D :D :D
..... and still laughing. :D :D :D :D

rrrr
07-18-2006, 03:39 PM
I read a court case here in Orange County where a gal fell backwards off a PWC operating at full throttle w/ her legs splayed. The force of the jet actually obliterated her female organs and then destroyed most of her lower GI tract. Young gal now gets to live the rest of her life w/ a colostomy bag and no ability to have kids..... Some of these claims have merit, some don't. The really bad ones never get past the summary judgment stage. The really good cases settle pretty quick. The ones that go to trial are either marginal or involve huge $ exposure. Hopefully a jury of 12 should be able to sort out whether the Fla. case is legit or not.
And I'll call bullshit on this one. You fall off, the throttle closes and the lanyard kills the engine.

BajaMike
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
I read a court case here in Orange County where a gal fell backwards off a PWC operating at full throttle w/ her legs splayed. The force of the jet actually obliterated her female organs and then destroyed most of her lower GI tract. Young gal now gets to live the rest of her life w/ a colostomy bag and no ability to have kids.....
Yea, that sounds like a BS story to me....I assume she had a swim suit on which would give some protection and the jet cuts off as soon as you fall.....
Sounds like one of those Internet urban legends..... :idea:
:cool:

riverroyal
07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
come with stickers and labels for ages etc,,,they have for 15yrs,if they were removed then whos to blame

RiverRatMike
07-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Anyone catch this today?
I'm suing Sea-Doo/Bombardier cause their products are a big piece of crap!

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Anyone catch this today?
Stupid golddigging idiotic bisch. Needs to be run into a dock herself at really high speeds. I'll volunteer to sacrifice my tube/towable and drive personally. I think I can get a spin in a corner with the tube up to arround 90. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2006, 05:22 PM
They SETTLED?!?!!?!?!??!??! Out of court!??!!?!?!?!?!??
%$#&F*^#$#F%%$##^&&^F&*^^%##F$@%^%&F$%%F$@%&%^F^$#!!!!!!!!!!
And I F'ing mean that. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

98 Vector 21
07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Mom should be jail..